Packers have an overrated defense?

Reaction score
See Pop, I'd have to disagree with you there.

When Clark beat us on the game winning TD, I don't think it was blown coverage by Collins, I think it was Collins blitzing and getting burned.

I think that is why Sanders avoids an overly aggressive playcalling approach, and I think that TD will only make him think twice before calling another Safety blitz.

With that said, the overall playcalling did seem to have a bit more of an aggressive tone Sunday night. I loved it, it was great seeing more pressure applied via blitzes. I was quite surprised by it, but pleasantly surprised.

However I think that Sunday night's second half playcalling will be the exception and not the norm.

KGB94SACKEM

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:

When Clark beat us on the game winning TD, I don't think it was blown coverage by Collins, I think it was Collins blitzing and getting burned.

I think that is why Sanders avoids an overly aggressive playcalling approach, and I think that TD will only make him think twice before calling another Safety blitz.

With that said, the overall playcalling did seem to have a bit more of an aggressive tone Sunday night. I loved it, it was great seeing more pressure applied via blitzes. I was quite surprised by it, but pleasantly surprised.

However I think that Sunday night's second half playcalling will be the exception and not the norm.

It was not a Blitz but Collins was creeping up in run support. That one is really on Collis. It's his job to make sure it's a run before he creeps up. He bit and he got burnt

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It was not a Blitz but Collins was creeping up in run support. That one is really on Collis. It's his job to make sure it's a run before he creeps up. He bit and he got burnt

He just bit. He didn't even try to cover the guy. He went up to stop the run and Clarke just ran right by him. Before he new what was going on, it was 6 for the Bears. Just a blown assignment by Collins but it was a good play call by the Bears and an aggressive one on 3rd and 2.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
KGB94SACKEM said:

He just bit. He didn't even try to cover the guy. He went up to stop the run and Clarke just ran right by him. Before he new what was going on, it was 6 for the Bears. Just a blown assignment by Collins but it was a good play call by the Bears and an aggressive one on 3rd and 2.

I read something where he actually was covering the back swinging out in the flat, and Popp was supposed to cover the TE. Popp jumped the run fake, not Collins. It seemed like it was Collins getting beat, but he was trying to make up for Brady's mistake.

Reaction score
Hm interesting point p_i_b.

Thanks for the clear up KGB94.

I wonder if Collins let Desmond Clark score. If the Bears get a first down, they could have easily ran out the clock. As soon as Collins wrapped up Clark after the catch, I started yelling to not tackle him. Wonder if Collins was in two minds himself, and in the end just let Clark score to get the Packers the ball back.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
I read something where he actually was covering the back swinging out in the flat, and Popp was supposed to cover the TE. Popp jumped the run fake, not Collins. It seemed like it was Collins getting beat, but he was trying to make up for Brady's mistake.

IMO, that is exactly what happened on that play, I posted that once but AADP lost the post :razz:

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:

IMO, that is exactly what happened on that play, I posted that once but AADP lost the post :razz:
This is what MM had to say about that play Monday:

(On the Clark TD and the Peterson reception, is Collins supposed to help on the tight end and have Peterson on that dump-off?)
MM: "Collins had Peterson on that. We were in a trail blitz, it's called a trailer, because he's the trailer and if the back stays we have two-on-one in the pressure. If he goes out, he needs to swing off and pick him up. If Nick was in better position he could have helped on the tight end. But really that touchdown started, we didn't get the bang release on him from the end and the recognition of the coverage didn't happen fast enough. "

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
KGB94SACKEM said:

well i'm glad somebody posted this, i wanted to, but i did not want to be attacked and called names.

anyways, the two weakest players on that defense are bush and brady. teams target these guys no doubt.

i think opposing teams will try dbl te sets, like the bears did w/clarke and olsen, to get brady man on man against a TE. brady's coverageskills are a glaring weakness!

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
anyways, the two weakest players on that defense are bush and brady. teams target these guys no doubt.

I've noticed this too. The 3rd CB though will always be targeted, no matter who's in there, because Harris and Woodson are our 1st 2 CBs. If I were an opposing coach, I'd want to stay away from those 2.

However, good TEs have been tearing it up against Brady. He's going to have to step up his game.

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our third CD and Brady P. need to pick it up.

We also can't do 3 straight running plays and then punt the ball away again like we did against the Bears. Our D was on the field way too much in the second half.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our third CD and Brady P. need to pick it up.

We also can't do 3 straight running plays and then punt the ball away again like we did against the Bears. Our D was on the field way too much in the second half.

Kinda the only option from the ten.

We can't get penalties on drive-opening plays. That almost always leads to 3-an-outs.

This D is gonna make some game-changing plays for sure, and has already shown the ability to hunker down and make a big third down stop when needed.

I really see Popp as a liability, but his position, IMO, has the least impact on the D as a whole when it struggles. So that's the good side of him struggling. If he can just do his job and meet his responsiblities, this'll be a good to dominant squad.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts