Packers D v. Vikings D

OP
OP
D

DaveRoller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since 2012 the Packers have drafted 7 Defensive players in the first and second round. The Vikings have drafted 6. Maybe Speilman is just a better drafter now that he has full control. Remember, some of these guys they traded up to get.

Raptor, to what do you attribute the improvement of your D since Frazier was canned after the 2013 season?

I can't help but feel Zimmer is doing wonders plugging in old vets like Newman & Munnerlyn along with young studs like Barr and Kendricks and even getting street guys like Tom Johnson to make plays. It boggles my mind that this was the worst D in the NFL just 2 seasons ago and now it is playing really well. It can't just be personnel changes, can it?

Meanwhile we continue to play mediocre to bad D year after year and hear the same old lame excuses for our deficiencies.

PS, nobody but nobody despises the Queens more than myself. I respect the Bears, pity the Lions, but just despise the Queens, so it really POs me that Zimmer seems to have the team pointed in the right direction.

PSS It's Spielman.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Of course having multiple years with multiple 1st round picks would have nothing to do it would it? and I really, really doubt that consistenlty picking in the top 3rd of the round compared to the bottom of the round has anything to do with it either.

For example, in 2013 the Vikings had not 1 but TWO picks in the first round before Green Bay made a single selection. But of course that has nothing to do with it.
And one of those picks came from trading away Percy Harvin. Your point? Trade one of your top WR's for a number one then come and talk. The trade turned out to be a good one. They can only pick were the are placed in the draft.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raptor, to what do you attribute the improvement of your D since Frazier was canned after the 2013 season?

I can't help but feel Zimmer is doing wonders plugging in old vets like Newman & Munnerlyn along with young studs like Barr and Kendricks and even getting street guys like Tom Johnson to make plays. It boggles my mind that this was the worst D in the NFL just 2 seasons ago and now it is playing really well. It can't just be personnel changes, can it?

Meanwhile we continue to play mediocre to bad D year after year and hear the same old lame excuses for our deficiencies.

PS, nobody but nobody despises the Queens more than myself. I respect the Bears, pity the Lions, but just despise the Queens, so it really POs me that Zimmer seems to have the team pointed in the right direction.

PSS It's Spielman.

The Vikings can have their better defense as long we remain the better team overall. If we win in two weeks, so what if the Vikings defense allows a few less points per game.

The Packers are 2-0 against Zimmer. We were an OT from the Superbowl last season compared to a 7-9 Vikings team.

But congrats to the Vikings on their better defense I guess.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score

PSS It's Spielman.
Of the starters on Defense in 2013, only two are starting for sure this weekend. 8 are no longer on the team. Guion, Allen, Williams, Henderson, Mitchell, Cook, Sanford and Sandejo are all gone. I remember Packer fans giving me crap when we resigned Everson Griffen to a pretty big contract. I believe the line was "I can't believe they signed a backup to a starter contract." The defense is mostly young players drafted over the last 3 years with some aging vets thrown in from other teams. Zimmer btw, still calls the defense during the game.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Vikings are a team on the rise under a new regime. I thought when they hired Zimmer they'd turn it around eventually, particularly on defense.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
The Vikings can have their better defense as long we remain the better team overall. If we win in two weeks, so what if the Vikings defense allows a few less points per game.

The Packers are 2-0 against Zimmer. We were an OT from the Superbowl last season compared to a 7-9 Vikings team.

But congrats to the Vikings on their better defense I guess.
Question is, do you have the better team? Better QB, yes. The rest is open for discussion.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Until the Vikings prove otherwise, we're the better team. 9-1-1 vs the Vikings recently.

We'll see in two weeks.
What happened the last 3 years matters not. This is a different team than last year. And way different than even 2013.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
One of the other things is that the game plan is set up so that players play their position. He has taken the idea of individual stats out of the equation. The players have bought into it because it has been working. Don't abandon your assignment for the quick individual victory.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Until the Vikings prove otherwise, we're the better team. 9-1-1 vs the Vikings recently.

We'll see in two weeks.

9-1-1 is very appropriate for the Packers at the moment.

Won't we see in one week?

OP
OP
D

DaveRoller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Question is, do you have the better team? Better QB, yes. The rest is open for discussion.

Raptor, I agree the Pack has the better QB in comparison to the Vikings. I also don't think there is any question about who has the better defense, running game, etc.

But be careful about presuming "the rest is open for discussion," as there are a lot of green and gold homers who are in deep denial about their squad.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts