Pack vs Niners studs and duds

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
If what I heard was correct, a lot of 49er "fans" went home early with their team down by four points. Apparently, it was "too hot" in the stands for them.

Contrast that with Packer fans who will sit through 20 degrees below zero weather even if the Pack is getting killed at home.

I noticed from the network broadcast how the crowd was thinning in the 4th quarter. My goodness.

A couple years ago, I was at the Packers-Texans game in Houston where the Pack beat the then-unbeaten 5-0 Texans. In the second half, when the Packers were dominating, the announcer yelled, "LET'S HEAR SOME NOISE FOR YOUR TEXANS!"

... [[crickets]]...

Then, slowly building, one could hear, "Go Pack Go" over and over.

Hilarious. And sad.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Montgomery didn't make the catch on the first play and not being able to catch the over-the-shoulder/head pass is a knock on him. Looking at it again, it may have been one of those occasions where leaving his feet would have made sense: He only got one hand on the ball. But I do like how they're using him in the backfield ala Cobb - and he had a nice run.

Lacy is great of course and IMO Starks is running very well too. On more than one occasion this season he's gotten extra yardage.

I also liked that they went for it on two consecutive 4th & 1s at the end of the first half. And they used an interesting formation both times. RRodgers and Montgomery offset to the right "inside" with Lacy deep and they ran to the left both times for 10 and then 6 yards.

JJones did a very nice impersonation of Jordy with the sidelines tip-toe stay-in-bounds. I think he got his right, then left, then right foot down before going out of bounds - very impressive.

H

HardRightEdge

Montgomery didn't make the catch on the first play and not being able to catch the over-the-shoulder/head pass is a knock on him. Looking at it again, it may have been one of those occasions where leaving his feet would have made sense: He only got one hand on the ball.
Yes, that has been an issue discussed here going back to the post-draft post mortem. There was a question about his college drop count, and some of us focused in on his college tape that did not look good on those particular throws and the drop count on deep throws.

By the way, I'm just getting around to looking at the game replay...if we're talking about the first play from scrimmage, which is as far as I've gotten, he unquestionably had both hands on that ball.

As an aside to this play, note Rodgers attention to detail. Pre-snap he motioned to the ref that the ball was misplaced. The ref responded with a "oh, yeah, sure" gesture and moved the ball to the left hash with the ensuing play a right roll out. I suspect if the call was to the left Rodgers would have been mute.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Stud (for Packers) and Dud (for 49ers) of the Game: Colin Kaepernick "You ain't Russell Wilson, bro."

Maybe besides Jay Cutler, I have not seen a QB once so hyped play that bad. Not saying we would have lost, but you have to wonder what the final score would have been had CK not been behind center for the 9'ers. That said, I like the way the defense is playing, but I will still be holding my breath a bit when we face a quality QB with a quality offense. I don't think any of the teams that we have faced thus far, possess both of those.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs - Pass rush 13 sacks in the past two games. Rush defense also was stout again today.

Duds - Play calling at end of 2nd quarter. I thought we should have played more conservatively
and ran the ball in order to setup a chip shot field goal.

That may be the first time I've ever seen anyone suggesting we play more conservatively.

H

HardRightEdge

Frankly, this was a pretty mediocre football game, but a win is a win.

The defense continues to play with energy and aggression. The Packers have gone 3 games now without a spell of bad tackling, probably the longest run since 2010.

But my, oh, my, that SF offense is a mess. You know that guy at work who finds every excuse to say, "that's not my job?" Well, that's SF's O-Line. Kaepernick has lost those guys. Judging from Boldin's sideline tantrum, he may be lost too.

As with the Cowboys and Giants in the past, if you hold on long enough you can catch a nemesis when they are in decline. Or in the case of Seattle, a moment of weakness...and it does look like just a 2-game moment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs: defense!!

The entire defense aside from one player.
Kuhn
Lacy
Starks

Duds:
Casey. He was terrible again and was struggling pre snap to be in the right place. The burned a timeout because of him
Masthay. 1 good punt and he rest kinda sucked. I give him a pass on the last one as he may have been ordered to kick it out of bounds.
What has happened to Hayward between his stellar rookie season and now? Is he playing on a bad hamstring again? Unfortunately as long as he can walk he has to try and get on the field. Randall seems to have caught on quickly. Even on the long completion he gave up he gets his head turned around quickly making interference calls very unlikely. If Rollins gets going, Hayward is going to quickly be the odd man out. IMO he's a talented corner, but subject to serious injuries. He has had a lot of time to rehab. Unless some kind of miracle happens he'll lose his starting job. Bummer.

Brian Demarest

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Um, I love the pack, but the Niners retired. There should be no gloating, only pity. It's like the Seahawks against the Bears.

D

Deleted member 6794

That said, I like the way the defense is playing, but I will still be holding my breath a bit when we face a quality QB with a quality offense. I don't think any of the teams that we have faced thus far, possess both of those.

It´s possible the Packers won´t face any elite offense during the regular season at all. As of right now it seems like the Cardinals will present the toughest test with the Cowboys being a possible elite offense depending on Romo´s and Bryant´s status.

What has happened to Hayward between his stellar rookie season and now? Is he playing on a bad hamstring again? Unfortunately as long as he can walk he has to try and get on the field. Randall seems to have caught on quickly. Even on the long completion he gave up he gets his head turned around quickly making interference calls very unlikely. If Rollins gets going, Hayward is going to quickly be the odd man out. IMO he's a talented corner, but subject to serious injuries. He has had a lot of time to rehab. Unless some kind of miracle happens he'll lose his starting job. Bummer.

In the nickel and dime packages Hayward has already been replaced by Randall on the outside. I expect the rookie to start within the next few weeks and Hayward having to compete with Hyde and Rollins for playing time in the slot.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It´s possible the Packers won´t face any elite offense during the regular season at all. As of right now it seems like the Cardinals will present the toughest test with the Cowboys being a possible elite offense depending on Romo´s and Bryant´s status.

In the nickel and dime packages Hayward has already been replaced by Randall on the outside. I expect the rookie to start within the next few weeks and Hayward having to compete with Hyde and Rollins for playing time in the slot.
Good point. Has Rollins been playing a lot? You probably have his snaps which would be good info. I guess I haven't been watching that closely but don't recall plays Rollins is making, good or bad.

And Randall should be starting. He's fast and even against tall receivers, he turns his head and contests for the ball. I've been impressed so far.

As for Hayward, I hope he can be effective in the slot. I think he's talented but I also think he's playing hurt. Not enough apparently to sit him, but enough that it may be affecting his coverage. He's a bit of a mystery to me.

D

Deleted member 6794

Good point. Has Rollins been playing a lot? You probably have his snaps which would be good info. I guess I haven't been watching that closely but don't recall plays Rollins is making, good or bad.

And Randall should be starting. He's fast and even against tall receivers, he turns his head and contests for the ball. I've been impressed so far.

As for Hayward, I hope he can be effective in the slot. I think he's talented but I also think he's playing hurt. Not enough apparently to sit him, but enough that it may be affecting his coverage. He's a bit of a mystery to me.

Rollins has played a total of 20 snaps so far, has been targeted three times, allowing two completions for six yards. He has one pas defended and four tackles.

Randall has been impressive and even after allowing long completions has shown the ability to bounce back.

Hayward has regressed since his rookie season, not sure about the reasons, his hamstring has to be a factor though.