Over-confident, egotistical Packer fans?

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
We have a constant "Look I told you. This D sucks. They were bound to lose a game." "I told you some of you were cocky and too into this 19-0 thing." "Oh look Tebow is sucking again. Wow I told you he would and ESPN was wrong." "Wow hear what ESPN said? I told you they were wrong."

Yes, and it generally starts from the same source week after week after week after....

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Since you're a Dallas person, you simply don't understand the sports culture in Wisconsin. Packer fans have a genuine love for their team that goes beyond one game. To most of us up here, booing the Packers is akin to booing your own children. The Packers and their fans have a very family-like relationship that fans of other teams simply don't understand. You would have to live here for a while to appreciate it.
Sorry but I'm calling "load of crap". The Packers are pretty much the only sports in WI. Sure you have the Badgers and the Brewers, and they have so many championship runs in their history. The Packers and their fans are tied together for two reasons. One, many are owners, not something afforded to fans of other teams. Second, the only other things to do in WI, is hunt in the winter and fish in the summer. So the Packers are the only sports team worth a damn in Wisconsin. Those older fans know that there have been boos before in Lambeau, maybe not as loud as some teams but it has happened. Other than the ownership issue, Packer fans are no different than fans of other teams. Since Green Bay is so small there is just a larger percentage of them in Green Bay as compared to fans in other larger cities.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
False.
The thing is, I lived thru the awful Packers of the 1980's, and late 70's too.
I've learned time & time again nobody is unbeatable.

I've also learned that there is often more to, behind, simply numbers like our record.
Our defense has been crappy, there's no getting around it. It reminds me of 2009 because it was bad then too, but we got by with a great offense and plenty of turnovers.

(snipped for brevity)

Yes. We hear you already. You've said the same thing over and over and over every single week and you're not accomplishing anything by starting a whole new thread about it after every game.

Now I'd still like to know who, exactly, you're accusing of claiming that the Packers were unbeatable.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sorry but I'm calling "load of crap". The Packers are pretty much the only sports in WI. Sure you have the Badgers and the Brewers, and they have so many championship runs in their history.

You just contradicted yourself. There's also the Bucks.

The Packers and their fans are tied together for two reasons. One, many are owners, not something afforded to fans of other teams. Second, the only other things to do in WI, is hunt in the winter and fish in the summer.

And ski... and golf (we have more golf courses per capita than Florida, btw)... what more do you need? And what's your point?

I suppose I could say the only thing to do in Florida is waste your time getting skin cancer at the beach, but that wouldn't be any more true than what you just said, now would it?

Other than the ownership issue, Packer fans are no different than fans of other teams.

Yeah? How many other teams have fans turn out by the thousands to cheer them on in practice? How many can fill a stadium for a scrimmage?

This comes from Florida. Like I said before. You wouldn't understand.

SanDiegoCheese

West Coast Cheesehead
Reaction score

And ski... and golf (we have more golf courses per capita than Florida, btw)... what more do you need? And what's your point?

I suppose I could say the only thing to do in Florida is waste your time getting skin cancer at the beach, but that wouldn't be any more true than what you just said, now would it?

Yeah? How many other teams have fans turn out by the thousands to cheer them on in practice? How many can fill a stadium for a scrimmage?

BOOM! :laugh:

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It was inflammatory. You see it differently than I. Not the only post made in this regard btw.

"We saw it coming. I guess this answers the thread about forgetting how to lose. This is a great team and a great season. I'm enjoying the ride and I know how to lose graciously. Heck I lived through the 80's, I'll live through 1 loss."

Then, "In the spirit of getting along. If any of you are real disturbed with the Pack, you can send your tickets to me instead of burning them. I'll relieve you of the terrible burden of having to go to another game."

It was clearly hyperbole.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
(snipped for brevity)
Now I'd still like to know who, exactly, you're accusing of claiming that the Packers were unbeatable.
Jules18 for one stands out. If you care so much about the names, just re-read thru the threads when we asked what team you each think poses the biggest threat to us not making it to the Super Bowl, and those types of discussion.

There were a few people, Jules is the only one I remember the name, who were the cocky types who said "nobody".
Like nobody is capable of beating us, etc.
I can't stand that arrogant, ignorant type of thinking.

Anyone who has played or coached (even watched long enough) knows that any team can lose.
In polls like that, I wanted to see which team people thought was our biggest threat, and when you get answers like "Nobody can beat us except ourselves"..... that's 8th grade stuff right there. That type of thinking doesn't help anyone nor lend any info to the thread.

There, that's your answer to your question. Now forget about that and let's focus on what you can do to improve the pass rush from the ROLB spot and from anywhere on the OL, and what you can do to improve the health of our OT position. Only positive comments allowed please, because Wisconsinites love the Packers, but those of us in TX, FL, CA clearly cannot understand that love for the team.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
It was inflammatory. You see it differently than I. Not the only post made in this regard btw.

"We saw it coming. I guess this answers the thread about forgetting how to lose. This is a great team and a great season. I'm enjoying the ride and I know how to lose graciously. Heck I lived through the 80's, I'll live through 1 loss."

Then, "In the spirit of getting along. If any of you are real disturbed with the Pack, you can send your tickets to me instead of burning them. I'll relieve you of the terrible burden of having to go to another game."

Kitten was right, you were wrong.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score

Really? Born and raised 29.2 miles from Lambeau field in Appleton. Still have many family members (Packer fans)up there and visit on a regular basis. Just because I live in FL don't mean squat. I do understand. And like I said, Green Bay has more Packer fans per captia then other teams because the city is so damn small.

And as far as golf course per capita, the top 4 states are North Dakota, Iowa, South Dakota, and Nebraska. Tells you something about that stat.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Sometimes I find it funny how I will look at a thread one day and then pop back to the end of it another day and it has completely morphed into something totally unrecognizable from the title. Kinda like life:D

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
You dont have to school me on the rational of how people deal with things... I understand that people have their own way of showing it... Trust me Jim I am upset too... but I am not going to go on a rant and throw the team I love under the bus or out of the running for the Lombardi... My thing is that negativity spreads like a cancer... Negative threads like these just poison the integrity of our fans and this forum... Sure there is room for concern... but instead of beating a dead horse and talking about all the problems and why we lost, why not talk about ways the problems can be fixed and be optimistic that some of our guys will come back healthy and we will be right on track... Be apart of the solution and not the problem... Thats all I am saying.

Another thing that adds fuel to the fire is how some of our own have taken to Twitter to attack our own players... Even BJ was pissed about it... This is the kinda crap that aids threads like this... Straight Garbage!

RT @ASAPschmitty: @MNewhouse74 You got owned today man. Take a cold shower when you get back to your apartment. #unforgivable
RT @BradArgall: @MNewhouse74 good job. You have been as effective as a 12 year old girl this year.
RT @Conchucky: @MNewhouse74 Says in ur BIO that u play for the Packers, u looked like far and away the best player the Chiefs had today.
RT @PackFan_1995: @MNewhouse74 you my friend, were absolute trash today

rajifreezer90 BJ Raji
To the real packer fans im sorry u had to witness that to smh... To the front runners (yall arent worth a comment)

Oh honestly! I'm going to have Newhouse's back on this one. I can't say he played well, but this doesn't make it any better for either Newhouse or those leaving the comments. Remember Photogate? Do we need to go down that road again? As much as I'd hate this because I am a fan who loves to read their tweets, I would also fully support doing what is best for the team and having TT ban any of his players from having an active Twitter account during the season. It's becoming a distraction and more often than not leads to misunderstandings when somebody's tweet is taken out of context. Aaron Rodgers is the smartest of all of them, he doesn't tweet during the season. They need to just focus on bloody football, they have enough trouble right now on the field, no sense on taking it to Twitter.

sped2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry but I'm calling "load of crap". The Packers are pretty much the only sports in WI. Sure you have the Badgers and the Brewers, and they have so many championship runs in their history. The Packers and their fans are tied together for two reasons. One, many are owners, not something afforded to fans of other teams. Second, the only other things to do in WI, is hunt in the winter and fish in the summer. So the Packers are the only sports team worth a damn in Wisconsin. Those older fans know that there have been boos before in Lambeau, maybe not as loud as some teams but it has happened. Other than the ownership issue, Packer fans are no different than fans of other teams. Since Green Bay is so small there is just a larger percentage of them in Green Bay as compared to fans in other larger cities.

Whoa, back this train up. Lets sit you down and get you some education so we can get rid of some of these stereotypes you're "sport"ing (bad pun). You just said that the only things people in Wisconsin do is watch football, hunt and fish. I don't know how to shoot a gun and the last fish I caught was when I was... actually, it was when I was visiting family in Florida. Imagine that! Fishing down south? What a concept.

Packers are the only sports team worth a damn in WI? Meet the Badgers. Just won the Big 10 championship, didn't ya know. I bought my dad the hat to prove it. In fact, I found myself in a pickle at the local Lids store this weekend. To my right was a hat that proclaimed "PACKERS NFC NORTH CHAMPIONS!" To my left? "BADGERS BIG 10 CHAMPIONS!" Which one to get? Darn those sports teams keep winning, they're running me clear out of money. I guess those pesky Badgers must be worth a damn, too. Now, I may not know much because I've lived my entire life in Green Bay and just moved to Milwaukee, but I think those Brewers won a few games. Where are they from, again? Oh, right. Maybe I do know a thing or two about them.

(Oh, I read down a bit and see that you are originally from Appleton. That explains it. All people from Appleton do is talk about their mall and the fact that they believe they're so much better than those losers up in Green Bay. And then they all transplant down to Florida and we never hear from them again, thank goodness. Stereotypes suck).

(In case anyone didn't read the obvious sarcasm in the Appleton bit, I do have to say that I love Appleton... I even taught there last semester).

Anyway, all teams have over confident fans. Sooner or later they're all brought back down to earth. Life goes on.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well in all fairness, he had his best game because we sucked, in all fairness. Nobody touched him in the pocket (like Orton today), and they had guys wide open all day, plus they let Fitzgerald shove Woodson to the ground on 2 huge plays. Must not have been the same zebra who called Jordy for 2 pushoffs today when he barely touched the guy. Horrible calls.
It goes both ways. We sucked but we hadn't sucked to that standard before, and haven't since. Warner had more touchdowns than drops, for crying out loud.

I agree that the D sucked, sucked bad. It needs to be fixed. But we have seen, this year, the D buckling down and having a great day. Against the Lions and the best skill player in football they held them to 8 points, and picked Stafford 3 times. This D has the capability of playing lights out.

And completely agree about the refs. That's another reason I like our chances at Lambeau against anybody. Refs are homers.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Now forget about that and let's focus on what you can do to improve the pass rush from the ROLB spot and from anywhere on the OL, and what you can do to improve the health of our OT position.

Well, as fans there's not a darn thing we can do about it, except whine about it constantly, which we tend to be pretty good at.

Only positive comments allowed please, because Wisconsinites love the Packers, but those of us in TX, FL, CA clearly cannot understand that love for the team.

I was specifically referring to how you seemingly couldn't understand why Packer fans rarely boo the Packers.

Only positive comments please...

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I recall all the posts about making the SB, winning the SB etc..I was trying to be level headed and remind people nothing is for sure..

Maybe this game will make that point hit home..

This is not me saying TOLD YOU SO, but merely stating do not take it for granted..

With that said, the 97 team lost to a 0-14 Colt team, with a rookie q/b and still went to the SB

0-10 Colts team

:)

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Jules18 for one stands out. If you care so much about the names, just re-read thru the threads when we asked what team you each think poses the biggest threat to us not making it to the Super Bowl, and those types of discussion.

There were a few people, Jules is the only one I remember the name, who were the cocky types who said "nobody".
Like nobody is capable of beating us, etc.
I can't stand that arrogant, ignorant type of thinking.

Anyone who has played or coached (even watched long enough) knows that any team can lose.
In polls like that, I wanted to see which team people thought was our biggest threat, and when you get answers like "Nobody can beat us except ourselves"..... that's 8th grade stuff right there. That type of thinking doesn't help anyone nor lend any info to the thread.

There, that's your answer to your question. Now forget about that and let's focus on what you can do to improve the pass rush from the ROLB spot and from anywhere on the OL, and what you can do to improve the health of our OT position. Only positive comments allowed please, because Wisconsinites love the Packers, but those of us in TX, FL, CA clearly cannot understand that love for the team.

I can't help it. I always stand out. *sigh*

Sorry. I felt the Packers should go 16-0 and I am not ashamed for my confidence at times. I was even cocky enough to feel that nobody could destroy the Colts perfect season too this year. Man I got a double whammy on one day.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Whoa, back this train up. Lets sit you down and get you some education so we can get rid of some of these stereotypes you're "sport"ing (bad pun). You just said that the only things people in Wisconsin do is watch football, hunt and fish. I don't know how to shoot a gun and the last fish I caught was when I was... actually, it was when I was visiting family in Florida. Imagine that! Fishing down south? What a concept.

Packers are the only sports team worth a damn in WI? Meet the Badgers. Just won the Big 10 championship, didn't ya know. I bought my dad the hat to prove it. In fact, I found myself in a pickle at the local Lids store this weekend. To my right was a hat that proclaimed "PACKERS NFC NORTH CHAMPIONS!" To my left? "BADGERS BIG 10 CHAMPIONS!" Which one to get? Darn those sports teams keep winning, they're running me clear out of money. I guess those pesky Badgers must be worth a damn, too. Now, I may not know much because I've lived my entire life in Green Bay and just moved to Milwaukee, but I think those Brewers won a few games. Where are they from, again? Oh, right. Maybe I do know a thing or two about them.

(Oh, I read down a bit and see that you are originally from Appleton. That explains it. All people from Appleton do is talk about their mall and the fact that they believe they're so much better than those losers up in Green Bay. And then they all transplant down to Florida and we never hear from them again, thank goodness. Stereotypes suck).

(In case anyone didn't read the obvious sarcasm in the Appleton bit, I do have to say that I love Appleton... I even taught there last semester).

Anyway, all teams have over confident fans. Sooner or later they're all brought back down to earth. Life goes on.
Well, I suppose I should have said "professional sports" in WI. :) Actually, I follow the Badgers and sorta follow the Brewers. It's tough to do that from down here.

And I will agree with you on the fans. Every team has jerks, egotistical a**clowns and good fans. Unfortunately, it's usually the first two that most people remember.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Last post-season, we didn't have to face Warner. Or Brees. Or Brady. Or Manning.

Nobody played Warner last year. We beat Brees this year. Not our fault Brady couldn't handle the Steelers. We did have to beat Manning to get to the playoffs.

The bottom line here is we're most likely going to have to beat Brees and Brady to win this Super Bowl.

Well, we already beat Brees once this year and I don't think Brady will be in the picture. If we do play him, then you forget that the Patriots defense will have to face Rodgers. The Patriots have given up the exact same number of points we have, BTW. And they give up almost 20 yards more per game than we do.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, we already beat Brees once this year and I don't think Brady will be in the picture. If we do play him, then you forget that the Patriots defense will have to face Rodgers. The Patriots have given up the exact same number of points we have, BTW. And they give up almost 20 yards more per game than we do.
Again, we beat Brees, barely, when we had Nick Collins. Everyone has already pointed out how important he was to our defense.

But on Brady, and their defense, that's exactly right!
That would be a shootout of all-time epic proportions. I think both teams would be better off carrying an extra positional player and not even dressing a punter.
40 points might not be enough to win that game!

Fazeman

Setting The Pace
Reaction score
Over-confident? Egotistical? Let me smell my underarms...Yeah, I'm gonna need about two boxes of deodorant, preferably Old Spice. No, no make that Right Guard.

Members online

Latest posts