Our WR Corps in 2019

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, practice.

I went to 3 practices and i dont know if i saw him make any good plays. Recent comments by AR and others is that AR and MVS connection has not looked well.

Now, let's look at this logically.

1) You went to a small fraction of public practices. There isn't that much that can actually be gleaned from that information.

2) The last pre-season game we saw Davis, EQ, Shepherd, and Lazard all play a good amount. Adams, MVS, and Allison didn't play at all. Logical conclusion? Those are the 3 starters.

3) MVS had a terrific rookie year, and he's the only vertical threat we have. He's starting.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just putting this out there, sounds like Dolphins might be cutting ties with Kenny Stills; he probably wouldn't cost too much and he'd make a really good #2/3 WR with proven deep speed that defenses would have to respect. I could honestly care less about his, or any players, politics, the first time he catches a deep pass everyone will be cheering. I just saw the news report so I'm really just trying to see what others think of that potential addition.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Just putting this out there, sounds like Dolphins might be cutting ties with Kenny Stills; he probably wouldn't cost too much and he'd make a really good #2/3 WR with proven deep speed that defenses would have to respect. I could honestly care less about his, or any players, politics, the first time he catches a deep pass everyone will be cheering. I just saw the news report so I'm really just trying to see what others think of that potential addition.

I don't know a lot about Stills back story, but his stats are decent, but not over the top impressive. What I do know is that whether you like it or not, chemistry between AR and his WR's is pretty important. That along with the fact that I think it is already going to be a tough decision as to what 1-2 guys we are going to cut out of the current group, makes me say "no" to potentially disrupting things by bringing in Kenny Stills.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now, let's look at this logically.

1) You went to a small fraction of public practices. There isn't that much that can actually be gleaned from that information.

2) The last pre-season game we saw Davis, EQ, Shepherd, and Lazard all play a good amount. Adams, MVS, and Allison didn't play at all. Logical conclusion? Those are the 3 starters.

3) MVS had a terrific rookie year, and he's the only vertical threat we have. He's starting.
My ranking is in how i feel players have done during this camp/preseason. If you want to go by last season, then fine.

And if you want to believe MVS has impressed more than all but Adams, so be it.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

It's a great idea if he comes available, but I don't know that they would do it given the log jam at WR.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting and that is news to me. I figured Adams, MVS and Allison were entrenched as the top 3 WR's.

Would kind of surprise me if MVS doesn't have a solid season. His rookie numbers were better than Davante's.

MVS: 38 catches 581 yds (15.3/catch) and 2 TD's

Adams: 38 catches 446 yds (11.7/catch) and 3 TD's
I expect MVS to start. There is a ton of upside there and experience. I believe he is still adjusting with AR in the new scheme. But that doesnt mean he has played better than some of the other WRs on the team so far.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I expect MVS to start. There is a ton of upside there and experience. I believe he is still adjusting with AR in the new scheme. But that doesnt mean he has played better than some of the other WRs on the team so far.

I see. So your "pecking order" was more how you see it rather than a prediction regarding the actual depth chart?

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My ranking is in how i feel players have done during this camp/preseason. If you want to go by last season, then fine.

And if you want to believe MVS has impressed more than all but Adams, so be it.

I didn't say he's impressed more than all but Adams. Just saying that he's starting. When you said it was a pecking order, I understood that as you making it seems like a depth chart, of sorts.

MVS has had zero time with Rodgers this pre-season, so I'm not too worried about how he's looked. I've seen reports of him having good days in camp, and days of Rodgers missing him in camp.

Based simply on the coaches keeping him with the starters, I'm just not worried about it. There's no reason the success he had last year shouldn't continue forward.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't say he's impressed more than all but Adams. Just saying that he's starting. When you said it was a pecking order, I understood that as you making it seems like a depth chart, of sorts.

MVS has had zero time with Rodgers this pre-season, so I'm not too worried about how he's looked. I've seen reports of him having good days in camp, and days of Rodgers missing him in camp.

Based simply on the coaches keeping him with the starters, I'm just not worried about it. There's no reason the success he had last year shouldn't continue forward.
I get it, i can see i used the wrong terminology. I do believe he will be starting in 11 days vrs the bears with GMo and Adams. But, unless production picks up, his playing time will be reduced. And he may be replaced as a starter.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still like Shephard over Davis. Can't see Davis making it through the season. He just runs too straight up and down. Quite a target for not so big a man. Would like to be wrong. Then keep em both.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I get it, i can see i used the wrong terminology. I do believe he will be starting in 11 days vrs the bears with GMo and Adams. But, unless production picks up, his playing time will be reduced. And he may be replaced as a starter.

I don't take issue with your terminology. I just needed to ask the questions and get clarification.

I don't think Petals will take MVS' speed off the field even if he's low volume. Seems that his coaching tree values that more than most. Shanahan still has Goodwin starting in SF. McVay had Watkins and then when he left made it a point to get Cooks. They really want an X who get blow the lid off.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't take issue with your terminology. I just needed to ask the questions and get clarification.

I don't think Petals will take MVS' speed off the field even if he's low volume. Seems that his coaching tree values that more than most. Shanahan still has Goodwin starting in SF. McVay had Watkins and then when he left made it a point to get Cooks. They really want an X who get blow the lid off.
At some point you have to have somebody who makes a play. We also have Gary who has incredible athletic skills but never seems to make plays.

Davis is nearly as fast and is much quicker than MVS.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
At some point you have to have somebody who makes a play. We also have Gary who has incredible athletic skills but never seems to make plays.

Davis is nearly as fast and is much quicker than MVS.

It's premature to argue that either guy never seems to make plays. Last time we saw MVS playing real football, he was having a pretty darn good rookie season. We haven't ever seen Gary play real football.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I still like Shephard over Davis. Can't see Davis making it through the season. He just runs too straight up and down. Quite a target for not so big a man. Would like to be wrong. Then keep em both.

I was skeptical about Davis, but with the way he came out on Thursday, in all aspects of his game (receiving, returns and a run), I don't think it is Shepherd VS Davis for a roster spot now. Davis has one. The man Shepherd has to beat out I believe is Allen Lazard and depending on who you talk to, it is a close battle.

One thing that surprised me about Shepherd VS Lazard were their 40 times. I assumed Shepherd at 5' 10" probably was really fast. As it turns out the 6' 5" Lazard had a better 40 time 4.55 VS 4.57.

Last edited:
Reaction score
One thing that’s obvious but I’m not seeing mentioned is our “X” factor. #12

In the past Aaron Rodgers repeatedly seemed to elevate the production of the receiver a notch. He makes a #4 look like a #3.... a #3 look like a #2 and so on. While I appreciate EQ’s talent, I think he is missed on ST as much as anywhere.

I’m totally comfortable with Davante, GMO, MVS and Kumerow. Normally I’d say that’s a #1, #3, #3, #4 (only because Kumerow’s not a known quantity just yet) at WR. But I think Rodgers accuracy and ability to extend plays is going to force someone in that #3-4 group into that #2 role rather quickly. I believe it’s going to be a fierce battle for #2 type production, right now the advantage and serve is in MVS’s court.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, I know many don't necessarily agree, but I'm pretty concerned about Kumerow's injury history. When he entered the league, the Bengals CBs all said he was the hardest guy to cover after AJ Green but he never stayed healthy enough to play in a game. Last year was, sadly, the healthiest of his career (4 years). He's a terrific WR and I feel terrible that his talent has been hindered by injuries, but at this point I almost feel like it's fool's gold to rely on him playing any significant number of snaps.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So, I know many don't necessarily agree, but I'm pretty concerned about Kumerow's injury history. When he entered the league, the Bengals CBs all said he was the hardest guy to cover after AJ Green but he never stayed healthy enough to play in a game. Last year was, sadly, the healthiest of his career (4 years). He's a terrific WR and I feel terrible that his talent has been hindered by injuries, but at this point I almost feel like it's fool's gold to rely on him playing any significant number of snaps.

Well the "silver lining", Packer fans should be pretty used to WR injuries, since it really doesn't seem that uncommon and why you have 6-7 of them. Jordy, Cobb, Adams, Allison, etc. all have had their share of injuries. Really the only WR in recent memory that seemed to be able to stay on the field was Driver and even he missed a few games.

But lets get back to Kumerow. So he had a freak (non-contact) accident last year flipping into the end zone during a preseason game, his first year as an active player. The only other injury I see on his record was a minor ankle injury, also sustained in the Preseason with the Bengals in 2017. So I'm not too sure I would worry too much about JK, unless he starts getting injured as often as Cobb did.

One thing I will agree with you on and that goes for all of the WR's we have, except Adams. They are all pretty much unproven hopefuls. So while we are all optimistic by what we have seen, it is a pretty inexperienced group.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Actually, everything I have read uses "weeks" not games. "Can't practice with the team for 6 weeks, is eligible to play in a game after 8 weeks."

If they used "games", that might add an extra week of having to wait if a team had a bye during the 8 week stretch.
I know I read it somewhere. ....:tdown:...rummaging through the deep dark crevasses ...bear with me ... :sick: .. nope, not it ... distracted by ex-gfs :whistling:... back on track ... :tup:
got it.
New Rules, Bylaws and Resolution for 2018 ...
A player designated to return from injured reserve or non-football injury reserve is eligible to be activated after eight games instead of eight weeks.
These people concur
By Competition Committee; A player who is designated for return is eligible to be activated after eight games, not eight weeks.

I would think the intent was to not give teams with an earlier bye an advantage in getting a player back for 9 games over a team that would only benefit with 8 games.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I know I read it somewhere. ....:tdown:...rummaging through the deep dark crevasses ...bear with me ... :sick: .. nope, not it ... distracted by ex-gfs :whistling:... back on track ... :tup:
got it.
New Rules, Bylaws and Resolution for 2018 ...

These people concur

I would think the intent was to not give teams with an earlier bye an advantage in getting a player back for 9 games over a team that would only benefit with 8 games.

Good detective work Watson! Appears you are correct and it was a change in the rules for 2018. Goes to show you that you can't trust everything you read, until you find the latest and most accurate update from a trusted source. ;)

https://nflcommunications.com/Documents/2018 Offseason/Approved Rules Proposals 3.29.pdf

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Pokerbrat2000, post: 839647, member: 7261"

One thing I will agree with you on and that goes for all of the WR's we have, except Adams. They are all pretty much unproven hopefuls. So while we are all optimistic by what we have seen, it is a pretty inexperienced group.[/QUOTE]

Its been a while since we had a WR group with more than 1 guy who didn't have a big question mark. Last year we had Cobb who, while certainly a proven veteran had injury concerns and question whether he could stay healthy.

[QUOTE="Pokerbrat2000, post: 839688, member: 7261" Goes to show you that you can't trust everything you read, UOTE]

I don't trust that comment.

Side note anyone else use the feature that allows you to just swipe through the letters instead of having to type each individual letter. I watched my niece doing it once and was flabbergasted. I never thought I would be able to do it but I just did this entire paragraph with it and I had fewer typos than the other way.

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm starting to not trust your abilities to Quote me ;)

You must be bored. I didn't think you would catch that. That was because I was using my phone and the backspace key to delete all that other nonsense you posted to just leave the relevant part. I went too far and couldn't figure out what I deleted. I wasn't even sure it would post thinking maybe I deleted something important.

I like my desktop where I can just highlight and delete large chunks of what you post and just leave the teeny tiny bit that is important and not have to resort to the backspace key. ;)

Plus I like the emoji options better on my desktop. The ones on my phone are too cartoony and I prefer my emojis to project an air of seriousness.:rolleyes:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I like my desktop where I can just highlight and delete large chunks of what you post and just leave the teeny tiny bit that is important and not have to resort to the backspace key.
You do realize you can just highlight the part you want, wait a second without moving the mouse and a small gray box with quote |reply shows up. Click reply and it automatically quotes the highlighted text. No backspace necessary. Much tougher on the phone I'll admit but it works there too.

Latest posts