Our WR Corps in 2019

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dear friends,

I couldnt find any related thread on this subject. If there is, admins, please feel free to merge them.

How many WR's do you guys think the Packers keep on the roster? And who are they? My guess would be

Adams - MVS - Allison - Kumerow - ESB - Shepherd - Lazard

I think if Shepherd is going to continue showing his he can return the ball, Davis is out.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
St. Brown & Lazard are very similar guys (ESB - 6'-5, 215 lbs., 4.48 forty, 9-3/4" hands; Lazard-6'-4-5/8",220 lbs. (down from offseason), 4.55 forty, 9-3/4" hands)... I think ESB keeps the roster spot and Lazard hits the PS.

Davis "flashes" his speed & receiving ability but I think Shepherd is more consistent and if/when considering injury-prone-ness Shepherd becomes ST Returner AND becomes #6 WR.

With RB/FB injuries and importance to MLF's plans I think they keep 3 RB's & 2 FB's, leaving room for only 6 WR's...
Adams - MVS - Allison - Kumerow - ESB - Shepherd

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I would like and in this order: So...6 And none to the PS.

Adams
Geronimo
MVS
Kumerow
Shepard
Lazard
I believe all of these guys could contribute.
Both Shepard and Lazard had very productive college careers. I like that. It means they can catch the ball well.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
They will keep 6 or 7.

Adams, Allison, Valdes-Scantling, and Kumerow seem locked in.

St. Brown seems pretty safe.

Davis, Lazard, and Shepherd are the guys that would seem to be in contention after that.

If they go with 6, it's just Shepherd and Davis competing for one spot because they need a return man. If they view them as being fairly equal, they should keep Shepherd because he offers more cheap control and Davis struggles to stay healthy. But I don't know how the staff views them when compared as receivers.

Lazard's only shots are the Packers keeping 7 or St. Brown being a surprise cut.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't wait for Kumerow to ball out! Just a few months ago I recall a few posters coming at me pretty hard when I said him being on the 53 was completely safe and he was going to be a contributor opposed to an afterthought. The guy has amazing hands, runs really nice routes and makes contested catches. Anyone continuing to doubt his standing on this team is just willfully ignoring facts. The guy can GO! He is also showing up on ST's which is just icing on the cake at this point.

The argument then was Jake or Trevor and that was a no-brainer to me, but some made compelling arguments for TD. That ship has sailed. It seems the convo is now Shep or TD and it is just about as big a no-brainer for me. Shep has already shown me more as a WR than TD has in all his time in GB. He has a few nice returns the other night and looked extremely comfortable catching the ball in traffic which is half the battle. If we try and sneak Shep onto the PS he is as good as gone. I can promise you he is on more radars than TD at this point and it's probably not close. I don't have anything against TD but the guy is never available. If Shep plays well over the next 10+ days then I think we would be foolish to let him walk. This league is about performance and Shep has done just that all camp. If we lose Shep in favor of keeping TD it would be an unforced error of the highest order.

Give me Adams, Allison, MVS, Jake, EQ, Shep and...Lazard or Moore. I keep hearing the JJones comp with Moore but man I don't know. I think it comes down to who do you trust more to play and contribute in a pinch this year and to me the answer is Laz. There is a chance you let Moore walk and he turns into something but there is just as good a chance it never clicks for him. This is one of those times I don't envy the staff. Lots of good, young talent to choose from which is exciting!

Reaction score
Not all, but many fans are writing Davis off. I have no axe to grind with y’all other than I think the casual fans put far too much weight in preseason games. I made that mistake with MR Hundley.

1. The likelihood of receiving production of a #6 WR is little to ZERO. The bulk of the argument that one will “outperform” another in the receiving capacity is largely in vain. #6 anything is a fancy name for “Special Teamer”, I’d you don’t believe me, ask any #6 in this league.
Davis can’t play return guy, gunner and first team Offense all at the same time (nor was he asked to) There’s very few examples in the league of that type of athlete that can handle all those roles in their 1st 2 seasons in comparison to the number of #53 roster players being one or the other (ST player OR first team O).

2. Davis is the 3rd most tenured WR in a group of largely unproven Wideouts. As a GM/HC I’d be reluctant to walk my most experienced players if all things were considered equal.

3. The WR position in general takes a few years to grasp. Davis specifically has not played with the #1s until... now and he was said to be making a nice transition this season offseason from the coaching staff. He was out 1 season, this is essentially his 3rd regular season..exactly when you expect many players to take a leap that he’s been showing signs of.

4. He’s been relegated to focus on ST, which he became one of our top contributors on both sides. He ranked top 7 in both return categories, something only several players in the entire league can boast. Yes, that’s regular season performance... not preseason highlights against many players that won’t even be employed next week.

Preseason is a stage to test the fringe player. Not Rodgers or Bak or Mack or the countless locks around the league. So the players you see in highlights are fighting for their lives, not the other way around.

Unless Davis has succumb to s debilitating injury or something that will prevent him from seeing the field week 1 regular season? He’s our guy to beat.. and you’d better have more than one or two 35 yard KRs against #3s for me to cut a known quantity.

You can argue he’s injured a lot or he makes poor choices.. while a fraction of that might be true his stats prove overwhelming he produces and improved rookie season to year 2.

That said, I’ll likely be comfortable with our staffs decisions, they have far more tape and insider knowledge about the prospects to make the final #53.

Last edited:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OS101 ~ I don't think any of us are minimizing Trevor Davis' talent or experience. 2016 he was available for 11 games. 2017 he was available for 16. 2018 he was available for 2 games. 29 of a possible 48 games he was available ~ 60% of the games over those 3 years.

Whoever is our returner, whether it's a backup CB, RB or WR better be able (and available) to play if injuries strike... Davis hasn't been available or capable until (maybe) now.

Reaction score
Davis hasn't been available or capable until (maybe) now.
While injuries are always a concern and should be part of the decision process, we have to remember that any player is capable of succumbing to that, particularly a return guy. That’s obviously one of the more dangerous roles.
But there’s absolutely zero guarantee the next guy doesn’t get injured AND you’re betting an UDFA rookie is going to come in and outperform a top 7 guy who’s said to play great on both sides?
Then also if he goes down? Just by chance? Is Davis going to wait around for our call? or be playing elsewhere?
BTW. If it comes down to those 2 ( because I haven’t seen any other player than shepherd who's worth a damn). Who is more likely to get scooped from around the league. IMO if you cut Davis he’ll be playing elsewhere this season. Will Shepherd? I doubt he makes an active roster elsewhere if you PS him. I’d keep Davis and Lazard over Shepherd until I see something drastically different. Moore is PS material.

Again, I’m ok with whoever wins the job as I want the best player, but many fans, sportswriters and many in here and elsewhere don’t even have Davis in the conversation? That’s just absurd to me.

It’s rare I’d keep 7, but this years a rare and deep group. Plus, once again we ignored WR in the draft, if we go heavy at a position group it should be to equip Rodgers with some talent.

Davante
Gmo
MVS
Kumerow
EQ
Davis
Lazard

PS- Shepherd.
Cut- Moore

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Some of this I have posted in other threads over the last couple of weeks, but now that we have a dedicated thread...my opinion on the WR group.

First, anything can change due to injuries.

Moore is gone. I just can't see him making the team. Too many guys ahead of him have proven they can catch the ball in practice and in games.

Adams and MVS are really THE ONLY 2 locks as far as I am concerned. Any of the others could potentially be traded or cut.

Next "guaranteed" Spot: Shepherd or Davis. Packers will have to keep one of these guys to return punts. I give the nod to Shepherd, with Davis getting cut. If they keep Davis, they probably cut Shepherd but might have a decent chance getting him on the PS.

Allison and Kumerow: Both will make the team, unless one of them is traded. I totally see the scenario where Allison is traded to a team needing a WR and has a decent ILB to trade for him. If that happens, everyone below makes the final 53.

So that leaves 1, possibly 2 spots for EQB and/or Lazard. Both guys are pretty identical IMO. Neither guy will see a lot of playing time if there aren't injuries or a trade. So it comes down to who has the most future potential? I think you could make a case for either one, but I think the coaches are going to know that answer better than any of us. I'm leaning towards keeping Lazard just based on all the little blurbs you hear about him from coaches and players.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adams, GMo, MVS, EQ, Kumerow

Davis

Shepard Lazard

Davis makes it if he shows he can still do what he did before and be available. If he falters or Shepard elevates with consistency He'll make it.

I don't think they keep Lazard or Moore.

We might have to keep 2 FB's to start if Vitale isn't back from injury. Of course if he is, and we only go with 3 TE's which I think is a possibility cutting lewis, then Lazard I think stays.

H

HardRightEdge

The likelihood of receiving production of a #6 WR is little to ZERO. The bulk of the argument that one will “outperform” another in the receiving capacity is largely in vain. #6 anything is a fancy name for “Special Teamer”, I’d you don’t believe me, ask any #6 in this league.
I think of the #6 WR as a developmental player you like who you think will get signed by another team for their roster if you cut him, thereby not making it to the practice squad.

It might take two injuries for that guy to get on the game day roster. It is not an easy thing putting together 45 guys to cover injuries at all position groups, work in rotation, and handle special teams. And there are not a lot of things for WRs to do on special teams: returns and gunner are about it.

So it depends on what you mean by "#6". For example, if you regard a Davis or a Shepherd as the 6th. best receiver and St. Brown as the 5th. best catcher of the football, while Davis or Shepherd is on the game day roster to return kicks and punts, then that player is the de facto #5 WR, not Brown, assuming Kumerow is the #4 who will get some some snaps even without an injury: the occasional 4-wide, a guy needs a blow for a few snaps, a guy takes a hard hit and needs to sit a few plays. WRs don't often take every snap.

It's the #5 that has to have special teams ability even if he is the 6th. best pass catcher.

The #6 CB is a similar situation.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t see EQ being back so I’m amending,

Adams, Gmo, MVS, Kumerow, Davis, Shepherd.

Depending on TE and FB, May Lazard

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don’t see EQ being back so I’m amending,

Adams, Gmo, MVS, Kumerow, Davis, Shepherd.

Depending on TE and FB, May Lazard

I like Shepherd, but I prefer Lazard over him based on size and potential. I think tonight's play by Davis and the injury to EQ might have finalized a few things at WR. But as you point out, it now could just be between Shepherd and Lazard for the #6 spot.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I didn't either, before he got knocked out of this game, even before this game.

LOL. I think EQ did enough last year (21 catches, 328 yds , 15.6/catch) and was continuing where he left off, that had he not been injured, he would have stood a good chance to make the final 53.

H

HardRightEdge

LOL. I think EQ did enough last year (21 catches, 328 yds , 15.6/catch) and was continuing where he left off, that had he not been injured, he would have stood a good chance to make the final 53.
I think he's regressed. Practice squad is my take. There's no margin for LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
elcid

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope it isn't serious for his sake. By the way: Jarrett Boykin, 2013, 49 catches, 681 yards.
Jarrett Boykin had himself a room to compete with though. ESB, not so much.

Unfortunately I couldnt watch the game tonight, however Davis seems to have been balling out. Did he stand in for Adams? Seems to me he is in right now

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I made a comment earlier that EQ was going to have to start stepping up or be in danger of being cut because other guys were doing things to make this team. Potential wasn't going to carry you as far this year. I just assumed that he would and would be fine. Now it won't matter because he's not going to get the chance anymore and It looked pretty serious.

But on a positive, Davis looked like what I've been reading about all preseason. and Shepherd stayed consistent. Right now they both have a roster spot, it's not an either or for me after last nights game anyway.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The question isn't who the final 6 will be, but rather how good are they ? Other than Adams, can anybody else get open consistently? Compared to previous rosters when the Pack had Jordy, Driver, Jones and Jennings, the unit appears to be middling. Let's hope some of the receivers make a jump and thrive under MLF's system. Preseason is often not a good predictor of regular season performance since the current wr's are mainly going up against guys that are not starters. I think the o line and safeties will be vastly improved, but wr remains a big question mark at best.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The question isn't who the final 6 will be, but rather how good are they ? Other than Adams, can anybody else get open consistently? Compared to previous rosters when the Pack had Jordy, Driver, Jones and Jennings, the unit appears to be middling. Let's hope some of the receivers make a jump and thrive under MLF's system. Preseason is often not a good predictor of regular season performance since the current wr's are mainly going up against guys that are not starters. I think the o line and safeties will be vastly improved, but wr remains a big question mark at best.

Exactly. Besides Adams, we have a group of guys who don't have a ton of experience among them.

Allison: 55 receptions and 758 yds.

MVS: 38 for 581.

EQB: 21 for 328

Everyone seems to love Jake Kumerow and yes, I love his hustle, his hands, etc. But he has 8 career receptions for 103 yards.

Davis has only 8 as well for 94 yds.

Lazard: 1

Shepherd: 0

So while we appear to potentially have a talented group of WR's, most of them are going to have to show they can play on Sundays.

Members online

Latest posts