WR Corps Current Status...

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone knows more often then not I've predicted a WR with our first pick, so clearly I am of the opinion we need to get an upgrade there...but for a second let's look at what the WR room is most likely going to look like going into the 2020 season vs going into the 2019 season:

2019 WR Group - *notes those on the original 53 roster
Davante Adams*
Marquez Valdez-Scantling*
Geronimo Allison*
Jake Kumerow*
Trevor Davis*
Darrius Shepherd*

VS

2020 WR Group "most likely"
Davante Adams
Devin Funchess
- Brand new addition via Free Agency
Allen Lazard - Came on strong after Davis/Shepherd/Kumerow/MVS/GMo couldn't do anything
Marquez Valdez-Scantling - Truly a prove it or lose it situation...he very well may not be on the final 53
Equanimeous St. Brown - Showed promise in 18', injury in 19'...another one facing elimination
Jake Kumerow - Love the guy, but if he makes the 53 I'm INCREDIBLY dissapointed.
Reggie Begelton - Arguably THE best WR in the CFL last year, very small college and used CFL to showcase skillset. No one truly knows what to expect.

Draft Picks...bound to add some....when who knows.

In the end even if Gute ignored the WR position entirely (HIGHLY DOUBT and not a proponent of) the argument could be made he has done a lot to address this position already with the acquisition of Funchess/Begelton and then factor in a healthy ESB there is already 3 new fresh faces from the start of camp...without factoring in Lazard is now nearly a new lock for the roster from day 1. MVS and ESB could rock out and still be on the outside looking in depending on the others listed and whatever draft picks are taken.

I truly believe it is not just possible...but almost more than likely the WR room on that final day of cuts is going to have 5 new faces from the previous year cuts (gone are MVS, Allison, Kumerow, Davis & Shepherd)

All this is why if when Gute has the league announce or first pick, I don't think it should shock anyone if we don't go WR....however I still even with all this activity expect to see Gute take a potential solid WR addition with one of our first three picks. I still think we add two drafted options...even if a late round flyer type.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMHO the only "locks" for the roster are Adams, Funchess (with his $1Mil SB) and whichever 4th round or higher pick(s). I loved Lazard in '19 and how he stepped up. Will be a REAL dog-fight between Lazard, Kumerow, EQ, MVS, & Begelton to make the final 53.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
They have a one excellent starter who can do a little bit of everything for you in Adams.

They have two jumbo sized guys who probably function best as big slots and can win at the catch point.

They have two guys with length and speed who in theory win vertically if they continue to develop.

They don't have a real YAC/playmaker after the catch. That's the biggest hole in the receiving corps, and an important one since we have an offense that loves to use the screen game.

They also don't have any good separators/route runners beyond Adams.

In a perfect world, they come out of the draft with a YAC guy (Aiyuk, Reagor, Gibson, Shenault, Duvernay, Reed) and one guy with some route running ability (or the potential for it) who can eventually play across from (potentially replace?) Adams (Pittman, Mims, Edwards, V. Jefferson, Davis, Swain).

If they are prioritizing one over the other, the YAC threat is definitely the bigger immediate need in the offense.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They have a one excellent starter who can do a little bit of everything for you in Adams.

They have two jumbo sized guys who probably function best as big slots and can win at the catch point.

They have two guys with length and speed who in theory win vertically if they continue to develop.

They don't have a real YAC/playmaker after the catch. That's the biggest hole in the receiving corps, and an important one since we have an offense that loves to use the screen game.

They also don't have any good separators/route runners beyond Adams.

In a perfect world, they come out of the draft with a YAC guy (Aiyuk, Reagor, Gibson, Shenault, Duvernay, Reed) and one guy with some route running ability (or the potential for it) who can eventually play across from (potentially replace?) Adams (Pittman, Mims, Edwards, V. Jefferson, Davis, Swain).

If they are prioritizing one over the other, the YAC threat is definitely the bigger immediate need in the offense.

I would argue that ESB in a VERY limited and unproven capacity has illustrated an ability to use his smarts and route abilities to get open...whether he can actual prove this to be a trait however is unknown to anyone making a claim either way.

It truly is a DOG FIGHT behind Adams for who gets the second most snaps and behind that more so even who makes the 53. I have ZERO doubt we will have an improved WR room next year....I'm just anxious what that precisely means.

D

Deleted member 6794

IMHO the only "locks" for the roster are Adams, Funchess (with his $1Mil SB) and whichever 4th round or higher pick(s). I loved Lazard in '19 and how he stepped up. Will be a REAL dog-fight between Lazard, Kumerow, EQ, MVS, & Begelton to make the final 53.

In my opinion Lazard is a lock to make the roster.

I would argue that ESB in a VERY limited and unproven capacity has illustrated an ability to use his smarts and route abilities to get open...whether he can actual prove this to be a trait however is unknown to anyone making a claim either way.

Just like with Sternberger at tight end I don't think the wide spread optimism about ESB is justified at this point.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion Lazard is a lock to make the roster.

Just like with Sternberger at tight end I don't think the wide spread optimism about ESB is justified at this point.

I literally said: "whether he can actual prove this to be a trait however is unknown to anyone making a claim either way."

D

Deleted member 6794

I literally said: "whether he can actual prove this to be a trait however is unknown to anyone making a claim either way."

I wasn't actually referring to your post but the general feeling about him around here.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
I know I'm probably in the minority on here when I think one high draft pick on a WR taken in this draft is enough. Adams, Lazard, and Funchess are locks. Draft a WR makes 4, MVS and EQ are just hitting yr 3, and I haven't given up on them yet ( remember when everyone wanted Adams cut the year of the drops?) If they end up drafting another guy, who can be a returner, I'm fine with that, but I feel drafting 2 or 3 WR'S in this draft is overkill and taking away from areas where they can get more depth.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know I'm probably in the minority on here when I think one high draft pick on a WR taken in this draft is enough. Adams, Lazard, and Funchess are locks. Draft a WR makes 4, MVS and EQ are just hitting yr 3, and I haven't given up on them yet ( remember when everyone wanted Adams cut the year of the drops?) If they end up drafting another guy, who can be a returner, I'm fine with that, but I feel drafting 2 or 3 WR'S in this draft is overkill and taking away from areas where they can get more depth.

I agree with you there, DoUR. I think those 3 are locks and then we've got the handful of wait-and-see guys with MVS, EQ, and Begelton... + a high draft pick. Funchess is probably only here for a year though, so we're banking pretty ******* finding at least next year's WR2 with that one pick. But... that's how drafts work. Can't stockpile every position.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ya, they got Funchess to be the WR3 at least. I don't see a reason to draft more than 1 WR this draft, unless a great prospect falls into their laps.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

I don't think it's absolutely imperative, but this class is so good that the value could be too good to pass on. If they took 2 guys, they could carry 6 and MVS/EQ could be fighting for one spot. Or they could carry 7 and keep everyone.

However, if they plan to only take one guy, or at least consider that a strong possibility, then I think the first guy would need to be a player like Reagor or Aiyuk, rather than Pittman. I really like the latter, but the former two bring the skills that the offense sorely lacks.

D

Deleted member 6794

Adams showed flashes of greatness during his first two seasons none of the receivers currently on the roster have been able to though. With Ervin having been re-signed I don't feel the need to use a draft pick on a returner.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Here is the thing though, while Lazard is most likely a lock to make the roster, there is absolutely no receiver on our roster that doesn't have substantial unknowns or question marks on who they truly are outside of Adams. Funchess, coming off a season ending injury...and has always seemed to flirt with being great instead of good or even average. Lazard literally didn't make the roster last year at first...was 2019 a sign of a guy that is going to continue to grow...or was 2019 a fluke? MVS has literally rode the biggest roller coaster when it comes to performance...home runs and strikeouts riddle his past two seasons. ESB showed promise in a limited time the end of his rookie season....then his injury last year...no one knows for sure what we got? Begelton comes from a small school and used CFL to showcase his potential...he tore up the CFL...but it was the CFL, no one knows if or how he transitions to the NFL?

That is a ton of unknowns, albeit it promising unknowns for sure. The likelihood that all 6 of those guys I listed slide and don't better themselves is very low. However, in the NFL and based on history of injuries and young guys showing promise, as much as I hate to admit it - there is a strong likelihood a couple of them do not progress. That is why I suspect GB not only will, but arguably should give the WR position a couple nods in the draft. Now I could see us only draft 1, if we also pick up a TE that serves a little bit of a hybrid role and is more of a receiving TE than blocking...but I'd be shocked if we do not double dip at a receiving position in this draft for the reasons I outlined.

Adams showed flashes of greatness during his first two seasons none of the receivers currently on the roster have been able to though. With Ervin having been re-signed I don't feel the need to use a draft pick on a returner.

I disagree, when it comes to flashes MVS has most definitely done that. However, those moments sadly are also countered by moments of sheer bust as well.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score

I like Ervin, he has earned being the returner moving forward, but having competition in the return game is healthy, and not having all your eggs in one basket, in case he gets injured.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I like Ervin, he has earned being the returner moving forward, but having competition in the return game is healthy, and not having all your eggs in one basket, in case he gets injured.

This, as well as having the flexibility to cut Ervin if they want someone else in that RB roster spot.

D

Deleted member 6794

That is a ton of unknowns, albeit it promising unknowns for sure. The likelihood that all 6 of those guys I listed slide and don't better themselves is very low.

While the chances for that to happen are pretty low it occurred last season with everybody making the initial roster at wide receiver aside of Adams not improving.

I disagree, when it comes to flashes MVS has most definitely done that. However, those moments sadly are also countered by moments of sheer bust as well.

MVS showed potential at times to be a deep threat but he never seemed to be on a path to develop into a great receiver.

This, as well as having the flexibility to cut Ervin if they want someone else in that RB roster spot.

The Packers should move along with Ervin being the returner next season. With that being said I'm not opposed to draft another player who could step in for him in case of injury.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Packers should move along with Ervin being the returner next season. With that being said I'm not opposed to draft another player who could step in for him in case of injury.

If the Packers plan to move on from Aaron Jones after this next season, then they are probably going to want to invest in a 3rd running back who at least has the potential to be a real piece in a committee backfield. I'm not talking about a day one or two pick, but a 4th or 5th rounder would not surprise me. Even considering that it's easy, relative to other positions, to find immediate help at RB, I would find it a little unlikely that they would plan to lose their entire backfield next offseason.

That doesn't mean that Ervin can't make the roster, but if the Packers don't have anyone else with return ability, then that basically means he has to. It would be foolish, in my opinion, for them to box themselves into that situation. Adding some depth in terms of return ability would enable them to keep Ervin in that role if they wanted to and it suited them, while also giving them the flexibility to cut him in favor of a better backup if that was best for the roster moving forward.

D

Deleted member 6794

If the Packers plan to move on from Aaron Jones after this next season, then they are probably going to want to invest in a 3rd running back who at least has the potential to be a real piece in a committee backfield. I'm not talking about a day one or two pick, but a 4th or 5th rounder would not surprise me. Even considering that it's easy, relative to other positions, to find immediate help at RB, I would find it a little unlikely that they would plan to lose their entire backfield next offseason.

That doesn't mean that Ervin can't make the roster, but if the Packers don't have anyone else with return ability, then that basically means he has to. It would be foolish, in my opinion, for them to box themselves into that situation. Adding some depth in terms of return ability would enable them to keep Ervin in that role if they wanted to and it suited them, while also giving them the flexibility to cut him in favor of a better backup if that was best for the roster moving forward.

I'm absolutely fine with the Packers using a day three pick on a running back in next week's draft. But even if that prospect has the ability to return punts and kicks I would like to the team to keep Ervin to handle the job.

It seems like a lot of fans have forgotten how atrocious the return game was last season before Gutekunst brought in Ervin while trying several returners who had experience as well.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm absolutely fine with the Packers using a day three pick on a running back in next week's draft. But even if that prospect has the ability to return punts and kicks I would like to the team to keep Ervin to handle the job.

It seems like a lot of fans have forgotten how atrocious the return game was last season before Gutekunst brought in Ervin while trying several returners who had experience as well.

It seems unrealistic to me that they would keep Jones, Williams, Ervin, and a rookie. I would think it more likely that they keep three backs.

I have certainly not forgotten how bad the return game was last year. I was the one squawking all offseason about how they needed to make sure they had some return skills on the roster and that it was going to be a problem if they didn't.

But that's the point-- they didn't have anyone with legit return ability on the roster. If they brought in more players with those abilities, then they would have options. If they just lock themselves in to Ervin being the guy, then they don't have options.

superdan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
don't know why theyd want to keep when at least 2 of the current have not proven enough to not be expendable. Id rather keep an extra defender than an extra wr. More value in the defensive depth.

Reaction score
One thing that will be looked closely at in the WR room is the ability to perform on ST. The guys outside of the top 3 will either have to have little drop off from #3 OR some marked ST prowess. EQ always seemed to be around the ball on ST and I believe Begelton could challenge that in 2020, both are very good at ST, but it's also quite possible that IF we draft 2 WR's one of those bottom feeders likely get snatched away if put on PS.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

It seems unrealistic to me that they would keep Jones, Williams, Ervin, and a rookie. I would think it more likely that they keep three backs.

The Packers could easily keep four running backs on the roster with Ervin being the designated returner, especially if they don't keep a fullback on it.

I have certainly not forgotten how bad the return game was last year. I was the one squawking all offseason about how they needed to make sure they had some return skills on the roster and that it was going to be a problem if they didn't.

But that's the point-- they didn't have anyone with legit return ability on the roster.

Trevor Davis made the initial roster as the returner last season, unfortunately that didn't work out. I agree they didn't have a backup plan though.

don't know why theyd want to keep when at least 2 of the current have not proven enough to not be expendable. Id rather keep an extra defender than an extra wr. More value in the defensive depth.

In my opinion only Adams, Funchess and Lazard are locks to make the roster at wide receiver. They will need more players at the position to have an impact next season though.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
The Packers could easily keep four running backs on the roster with Ervin being the designated returner, especially if they don't keep a fullback on it.

I've read they have been doing due diligence on interviewing H-Backs during the draft process. They also had a virtual interview with J K Dobbins who is a top 3 RB in this class. Might be even more of a shift towards the ground game from last year.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Of course they could. Why should they make that their only option?

They've been doing a lot of work on Vitale replacements.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Especially along the DL, to improve run stopping, get Clark some help, and overall have more depth.

Members online

Latest posts