WR Corps Current Status...

D

Deleted member 6794

I've read they have been doing due diligence on interviewing H-Backs during the draft process. They also had a virtual interview with J K Dobbins who is a top 3 RB in this class. Might be even more of a shift towards the ground game from last year.

I would be fine with the Packers spending a day three pick on a running back. I highly doubt they will run the ball more often this season though.

They've been doing a lot of work on Vitale replacements.

The Packers haven't signed a fullback aside of Wellman to a reserve/future contract though.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope the packers don't pick a receiver in the first round simply because there are so many good ones
available in this years draft,they could get a good one in the 2nd or 3rd round. what I think they need is a elite offensive lineman,what good is it to have a great receiver if the ball has to be thrown before he even has time to run his route which happened way to often last year.most of the time last year Rodgers was either running for his life or had to throw the ball before he wanted to .year after year the Packers try to get by with a mediocre offensive line which I think is silly when you have such a great QB.

Whoa...what? Direct quote from an offensive line ranking story:

"The perception of the Packers’ offensive line doesn’t always meet reality. Aaron Rodgers consistently holds onto the football with one of the longest average time to throws in the NFL. As PFF Data Scientist Timo Riske explored with offensive line survival rates, that significantly increases the chance for quarterback pressure and sacks. Their 22nd-ranked pressure rate allowed isn’t all that impressive, but their average time to allow a pressure of 2.62 seconds (best in the NFL) is much more so." (https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-offensive-line-rankings-following-2019-regular-season)

Bahk is still a top 5 LT in the entire league, Bulaga played like a top 10 RT in the league, Jenkins is a STUD, Linsley is an above average starting center and Turner was solid. I truly don't agree at all with the description of our OL this past season.

That said you will not find another person that supports drafting big guys on the offensive front more than me, and I don't know if I ever in any of my mocks entered the 3rd round without a OT having been grabbed. Often I grabbed two OTs and an iOL hopefully to replace Linsley after 2020.

sundown

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone knows more often then not I've predicted a WR with our first pick, so clearly I am of the opinion we need to get an upgrade there...but for a second let's look at what the WR room is most likely going to look like going into the 2020 season vs going into the 2019 season:

2019 WR Group - *notes those on the original 53 roster
Davante Adams*
Marquez Valdez-Scantling*
Geronimo Allison*
Jake Kumerow*
Trevor Davis*
Darrius Shepherd*

VS

2020 WR Group "most likely"
Davante Adams
Devin Funchess
- Brand new addition via Free Agency
Allen Lazard - Came on strong after Davis/Shepherd/Kumerow/MVS/GMo couldn't do anything
Marquez Valdez-Scantling - Truly a prove it or lose it situation...he very well may not be on the final 53
Equanimeous St. Brown - Showed promise in 18', injury in 19'...another one facing elimination
Jake Kumerow - Love the guy, but if he makes the 53 I'm INCREDIBLY dissapointed.
Reggie Begelton - Arguably THE best WR in the CFL last year, very small college and used CFL to showcase skillset. No one truly knows what to expect.

Draft Picks...bound to add some....when who knows.

In the end even if Gute ignored the WR position entirely (HIGHLY DOUBT and not a proponent of) the argument could be made he has done a lot to address this position already with the acquisition of Funchess/Begelton and then factor in a healthy ESB there is already 3 new fresh faces from the start of camp...without factoring in Lazard is now nearly a new lock for the roster from day 1. MVS and ESB could rock out and still be on the outside looking in depending on the others listed and whatever draft picks are taken.

I truly believe it is not just possible...but almost more than likely the WR room on that final day of cuts is going to have 5 new faces from the previous year cuts (gone are MVS, Allison, Kumerow, Davis & Shepherd)

All this is why if when Gute has the league announce or first pick, I don't think it should shock anyone if we don't go WR....however I still even with all this activity expect to see Gute take a potential solid WR addition with one of our first three picks. I still think we add two drafted options...even if a late round flyer type.

I really hope the packers don't pick a receiver in the first round simply because there are so many good ones
available in this years draft,they could get a good one in the 2nd or 3rd round. what I think they need is a elite offensive lineman,what good is it to have a great receiver if the ball has to be thrown before he even has time to run his route which happened way to often last year.most of the time last year Rodgers was either running for his life or had to throw the ball before he wanted to .year after year the Packers try to get by with a mediocre offensive line which I think is silly when you have such a great QB.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone knows more often then not I've predicted a WR with our first pick, so clearly I am of the opinion we need to get an upgrade there...but for a second let's look at what the WR room is most likely going to look like going into the 2020 season vs going into the 2019 season:

2019 WR Group - *notes those on the original 53 roster
Davante Adams*
Marquez Valdez-Scantling*
Geronimo Allison*
Jake Kumerow*
Trevor Davis*
Darrius Shepherd*

VS

2020 WR Group "most likely"
Davante Adams
Devin Funchess
- Brand new addition via Free Agency
Allen Lazard - Came on strong after Davis/Shepherd/Kumerow/MVS/GMo couldn't do anything
Marquez Valdez-Scantling - Truly a prove it or lose it situation...he very well may not be on the final 53
Equanimeous St. Brown - Showed promise in 18', injury in 19'...another one facing elimination
Jake Kumerow - Love the guy, but if he makes the 53 I'm INCREDIBLY dissapointed.
Reggie Begelton - Arguably THE best WR in the CFL last year, very small college and used CFL to showcase skillset. No one truly knows what to expect.

Draft Picks...bound to add some....when who knows.

In the end even if Gute ignored the WR position entirely (HIGHLY DOUBT and not a proponent of) the argument could be made he has done a lot to address this position already with the acquisition of Funchess/Begelton and then factor in a healthy ESB there is already 3 new fresh faces from the start of camp...without factoring in Lazard is now nearly a new lock for the roster from day 1. MVS and ESB could rock out and still be on the outside looking in depending on the others listed and whatever draft picks are taken.

I truly believe it is not just possible...but almost more than likely the WR room on that final day of cuts is going to have 5 new faces from the previous year cuts (gone are MVS, Allison, Kumerow, Davis & Shepherd)

All this is why if when Gute has the league announce or first pick, I don't think it should shock anyone if we don't go WR....however I still even with all this activity expect to see Gute take a potential solid WR addition with one of our first three picks. I still think we add two drafted options...even if a late round flyer type.

More likely to keep St. Brown and Kumerow than Scantling. I am starting to come around about adding 1 WR in the draft not some.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
More likely to keep St. Brown and Kumerow than Scantling. I am starting to come around about adding 1 WR in the draft not some.

I think there is true merit to that approach, however with the deepest class of talented WRs I've ever studied (take with grain of salt) I simply like vastly too many relative to their value/position to not grab two. The battle in the WR corps is going to be crazy intense I think. I personally think the only true safe ones are Adams and Funchess...Lazard might be the only one flirting with it as well. That leaves 3 or 4 spots for ESB, Scantling, Begelton, Darrius, Kumerow + draft picks to fill.....

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there is true merit to that approach, however with the deepest class of talented WRs I've ever studied (take with grain of salt) I simply like vastly too many relative to their value/position to not grab two. The battle in the WR corps is going to be crazy intense I think. I personally think the only true safe ones are Adams and Funchess...Lazard might be the only one flirting with it as well. That leaves 3 or 4 spots for ESB, Scantling, Begelton, Darrius, Kumerow + draft picks to fill.....

I can't see Scantling being here after final cutdowns unless there's a catastrophe where everybody goes down

D

Deleted member 6794

what I think they need is a elite offensive lineman,what good is it to have a great receiver if the ball has to be thrown before he even has time to run his route which happened way to often last year.most of the time last year Rodgers was either running for his life or had to throw the ball before he wanted to .year after year the Packers try to get by with a mediocre offensive line which I think is silly when you have such a great QB.

The Packers have had one of the best pass blocking units in the league for most of the past few years. They have struggled opening holes in the run game though.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers don't draft a WR in the 2nd round I think I might lose it.

The depth is crazy, Day 2 we will for sure...but it may not be in the 2nd depending if a run on RBs and DLs happen like I suspect...also if OT gets thin by our pick don't be shocked if we don't go there knowing a SOLID WR is likely there at 94

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chances of a WR that might be helpful this year falling to the END of round 2 are basically zero; the Love pick was Gute basically planning on winning enough games with Rodgers to not get fired and counting on Love to take over and do the same. Note, the plan isn't to win the Super Bowl (obviously) but rather, to just be good enough to not get the front office fired. Good for Gute, bad for fans.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chances of a WR that might be helpful this year falling to the END of round 2 are basically zero; the Love pick was Gute basically planning on winning enough games with Rodgers to not get fired and counting on Love to take over and do the same. Note, the plan isn't to win the Super Bowl (obviously) but rather, to just be good enough to not get the front office fired. Good for Gute, bad for fans.

Sorry but you are illustrating your lack of knowledge of this WR class with that statement. That discussion is unrelated to the Love pick, which I didn't like either. There will undoubtedly be even 3rd round WRs that come into the league and play significant roles for their teams in year 1.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry but you are illustrating your lack of knowledge of this WR class with that statement. That discussion is unrelated to the Love pick, which I didn't like either. There will undoubtedly be even 3rd round WRs that come into the league and play significant roles for their teams in year 1.

Relying on someone Jennings, Claypool, or Hill (the best guys likely to be available at the end of round 2) to be contributors as rookies is wildly optimistic. The guys that you might count on being contributing in a decent way as rookies will be gone by pick 62.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
The depth is crazy, Day 2 we will for sure...but it may not be in the 2nd depending if a run on RBs and DLs happen like I suspect...also if OT gets thin by our pick don't be shocked if we don't go there knowing a SOLID WR is likely there at 94
I understand this line of thinking, but even with the depth of this draft class at receiver, the further down the draft you get, the least likely it is to hit on draft picks. We need a high level contributor at WR. Devin Funchess isn't going to cut it.

Again, it's why the drafting of Love is perplexing. It limits your resources to address your actual needs, which for the Packers, is multiple positions.

EDIT: I'm not sure why I thought the Packers had two 4th's this year. Makes it all the worse. With a 5th and multiple 6ths, it's plausible to still get into the 4th round, but the amo to move up in the 2nd to acquire someone you're enamored with is compromised.

Last edited:

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand this line of thinking, but even with the depth of this draft class at receiver, the further down the draft you get, the least likely it is to hit on draft picks. We need a high level contributor at WR. Devin Funchess isn't going to cut it.

Again, it's why the drafting of Love is perplexing. It limits your resources to address your actual needs, which for the Packers, is multiple positions.

EDIT: I'm not sure why I thought the Packers had two 4th's this year. Makes it all the worse. With a 5th and multiple 6ths, it's plausible to still get into the 4th round, but the amo to move up in the 2nd to acquire someone you're enamored with is compromised.

BPA the rest of the draft IMO. Taking best available WR is less important now that we've essentially punted away top talent. If the next player at the top of their board is a WR, then sure. We still have a #1 WR with Adams.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Three OL taken in the last three Packer picks. We shouldn’t depend on late rounders obviously, but is Gute trying to get as many looks as possible in preparation to release Linsley or Taylor? He could be looking at it like out of one of these three, one of them would sufficiently replace them. I highly doubt he’s looking for one of them to supplant Wagner.

And then sign maybe Taylor Gabriel? Still haven’t taken a WR.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Three OL taken in the last three Packer picks. We shouldn’t depend on late rounders obviously, but is Gute trying to get as many looks as possible in preparation to release Linsley or Taylor? He could be looking at it like out of one of these three, one of them would sufficiently replace them. I highly doubt he’s looking for one of them to supplant Wagner.

And then sign maybe Taylor Gabriel? Still haven’t taken a WR.

Despite this being a WR thread if I'm Linsley I'm nervous.

Patrick was extended and is our center starter when Linsley is out....now Hanson an awesome center for our system could be our #2...Stepniak is a Guard swing guy...cutting Linsley frees up 8M and I'd say we are leaving the draft far more set at a contigency plan for that then before.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just like the Packers don't really care much about stopping the run game, it sure looks like passing has taken a back seat to the run game on offense. Last season, the Packers had unfa receivers take 54% of the snaps. Thats crazy but is understandable if you want AR to hand the ball off and mix in the pass. It might be a passing league but don't tell Gute and Lafleur that. They must believe all of the rule changes that have been made to bolster passing games are really a disguise for a running team. At this point, it may be quite irrelevant who the Packers have at WR. They have built the offense to be a run first unit.