Official Studs n Duds Cinncy

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both Tonyan and Cobb have a step on their man. AR doesn't throw to open receivers, he throws to receivers who will get open...and both have won their matchup. Adams is open but to expect him to gain 8+ yds with safeties running down hill is a poor decision, IMHO.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't say Cobb has won his at all. The defender is in his pocket and there are 3 guys he'd have to throw over. If the guy on him is as fast as Cobb which I feel is likely, he has to throw to a spot and put air under it for him to get to it. The defender, that close, has just as good of a shot as Cobb. Tonyan is still running towards a safety that can come down and get him. Or wait until he clears them and then you have a guy who's collapsed the pocket already, a guy coming around his right and a guy that looks like he'll be coming right off the guard fairly free too.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's the huge issue with a lot of posters around here. You consider your take as a fact despite there being no truth to it all.

Here's a picture of the situation just before Rodgers released the ball on the play you mentioned:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

There's no other receiver open with Adams crossing the field with a chance to get a first down. Unfortunately the Bengals defenders played it perfectly and held him to a two-yard gain.

There was no other option for Rodgers to throw the ball though.
I don't care if Adams gains 200 yards or 20 yards if it's a win. Yes he's getting a lot of targets but considering the coverage he commands, that's a compliment to Rodgers and Adams that he's still getting big yards and Rodgers has so few picks.

And for the first time maybe in MLF's tenure, there are significant injuries. Just on the O, MVS has been out and the line is missing its two best Pro Bowl players. Coaches have to adjust and maybe it's not as exciting as the last two years. But they're still winning.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think you could make a case that jones was pretty open - depending upon where rodgers placed the ball.
That was my initial thought when I looked at that screen shot as well. However, I also don’t think I see anything that makes me think that throwing to Adams was a bad choice either.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both Tonyan and Cobb have a step on their man. AR doesn't throw to open receivers, he throws to receivers who will get open...and both have won their matchup. Adams is open but to expect him to gain 8+ yds with safeties running down hill is a poor decision, IMHO.
I miss the days when the announcer said " Aaron Rodgers has completed 16-20 passes to 8 different receivers. Bet that will never happen as a Packer any more.

realitybytez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I miss the days when the announcer said " Aaron Rodgers has completed 16-20 passes to 8 different receivers. Bet that will never happen as a Packer any more.
is 17-22 passes to 8 different receivers close enough, or does it have to be 16-20?

because he did complete 17-22 to 8 different receivers in the first half against the bengals.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
is 17-22 passes to 8 different receivers close enough, or does it have to be 16-20?

because he did complete 17-22 to 8 different receivers in the first half against the bengals.
He did and you are correct. But I do not see that most weeks. And when Adams gets 11 you see the trend. In 2011 he had so many pass catchers it was like trying to find enough candy for the tricker treaters.

D

Deleted member 6794

Adams is more open than any other receiver and at the point Rodgers throws the ball it seems he has enough room to run for a first down after catching the ball.

Rodgers, like every other QB, definitely misses open receivers but he didn't on that play.

It's ridiculous to suggest he made a terrible mistake not throwing to another pass catcher.

i think you could make a case that jones was pretty open - depending upon where rodgers placed the ball.

True, a much more difficult throw than the one to Adams though.

He did and you are correct. But I do not see that most weeks. And when Adams gets 11 you see the trend. In 2011 he had so many pass catchers it was like trying to find enough candy for the tricker treaters.

There's no doubt the Packers' receiving corps has lacked talent over the past few years compared to the early seasons of Rodgers' tenure as the starter.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's the huge issue with a lot of posters around here. You consider your take as a fact despite there being no truth to it all.

Here's a picture of the situation just before Rodgers released the ball on the play you mentioned:

There's no other receiver open with Adams crossing the field with a chance to get a first down. Unfortunately the Bengals defenders played it perfectly and held him to a two-yard gain.

There was no other option for Rodgers to throw the ball though.
You conveniently took this screenshot about half a second too early, but I give you credit for trying. You can already see the safety running forward to try to help on Adams. As of the moment of this screenshot, Rodgers should have seen that too. The result was Lazard about to be open. Rodgers has been around long enough he should have seen that coming. The safety wasn't reacting to the throw, he was already reacting to Adams. Rodgers is still holding the ball here and hasn't even begun to **** his arm yet.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think he's referring to better overall distribution. Not one guy with 10+ catches and 7 guys with 1 or 2.

realitybytez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so today against da bearz, he was 17-23 with completions to 7 players. but if the refs get the call right, he was really 18-23 with completions to 8 players.

D

Deleted member 6794

You conveniently took this screenshot about half a second too early, but I give you credit for trying. You can already see the safety running forward to try to help on Adams. As of the moment of this screenshot, Rodgers should have seen that too. The result was Lazard about to be open. Rodgers has been around long enough he should have seen that coming. The safety wasn't reacting to the throw, he was already reacting to Adams. Rodgers is still holding the ball here and hasn't even begun to **** his arm yet.

This screenshot has been taken at the time Adams catches the ball. Lazard is still not wide open by any means.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good point. I agree with that and especially with the recent salary inflation at QB. Possibly why they took a chance on Love later Day 1. It’s kinda how I see Jordan, he’s either going to perform really well or completely fizzle.

Lombardi would be more thrilled at the blocking than the catching.
The first thing comes to mind.
Is it possibly our primary focus for TE has been to solidify a wounded and Rookie OL? Just a thought.
If that’s the case it means we should see some gradually receiving production increase as the year progresses. I don’t think either of us blames them for the priority of keeping #12 upright.

I don't know. Tonyan isn't much of a blocker, and for whatever reason, he doesn't seem to be getting separation like he did last year.

Lately his production isn't much different that Marcedes Lewis's. Heck, even Deguara caught a pass.

Is it all on the offensive line?

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This screenshot has been taken at the time Adams catches the ball. Lazard is still not wide open by any means.

Lazard (at the 14-yard line near the hash marks) has a step on his man and inside position. If Rodgers had hit him in stride the defender would have had a slim chance at best of making any play on the ball.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Lazard (at the 14-yard line near the hash marks) has a step on his man and inside position. If Rodgers had hit him in stride the defender would have had a slim chance at best of making any play on the ball.
Even if you're right (highly debatable), it's really amusing how some expect Rodgers to be perfect at his job and never miss a read, never throw to the wrong guy, never miss a check, etc.

It's interesting that Rodgers is the only human on Earth that is supposed to be perfect every play. What a revelation!

Reaction score
I don’t get all this aggravation about who we throw to. You do what works! We’re acting like Rodgers is 51% passing with
8 TD’s and 10 INT!

Our #2 WR is out with a hamstring. We’ve got a bunch of #3-4 types running around rampant and we’ve got a #1 WR that might be the best in football. I can’t be the only one that sees that!

Look around the league at the successful teams! Nearly ever last top performing team has multiple guys with a #1-#2 range receiving portfolio.

Tampa: : 3 receivers in the top 22!
LA: 2 receivers in the top 32!
Dallas: 3 Receivers in the top 29!
Chargers: 2 “ in the top 20!
Baltimore: 2 “ in the top 11!
KC: 2 “ in the top 11!
LV: 4 “ in the top 47!
AZ: 3 “ in the top 39!
Buff:2 “ in the top 40! (In just 5 contests)

GB: 1 in the top 50!
And we’re complaining about Davante Adams getting too many catches? This just Might make the all decade most trivial complaint.

Last edited:

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do not disagree with you but you do not prove your point. You do the opposite. I mean how can GB have a 2nd receiver in the top whatever if they never get the ball thrown to them? That is what people are complaining about and your post kind of backs them up.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I don’t get all this aggravation about who we throw to. You do what works! We’re acting like Rodgers is 51% passing with
8 TD’s and 10 INT!

Our #2 WR is out with a hamstring. We’ve got a bunch of #3-4 types running around rampant and we’ve got a #1 WR that might be the best in football. I can’t be the only one that sees that!

Look around the league at the successful teams! Nearly ever last top performing team has multiple guys with a #1-#2 range receiving portfolio.

Tampa: : 3 receivers in the top 22!
LA: 2 receivers in the top 32!
Dallas: 3 in the top 29!
Chargers: 2 in the top 20!
Baltimore: 2 in the top 11!
KC: 2 in the top 11!
LV: 4 in the top 47!
AZ: 3 in the top 39!
Buff: 2 in the top 40! (In just 5 contests)

GB: 1 in the top 50!
And we’re complaining about Davante Adams getting too many catches? This is the most ridiculous complaint I’ve seen in 2021 by a long margin. Might make the all decade most trivial complaint!
Why… This argument makes Janis and Hundley look like world champion Space shuttle scientists!
Good way to put it. I've been trying to put my fi nger on this and you summed it up well. It's a catch-22 with "yeah Davante is THE man, but what else do we have?" Not much different than last season, except Tonyan was more in the mix. I hold my breath anytime is see Davante being tackled....just not going to go there and jinx it. :ninja:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I do not disagree with you but you do not prove your point. You do the opposite. I mean how can GB have a 2nd receiver in the top whatever if they never get the ball thrown to them? That is what people are complaining about and your post kind of backs them up.
I think the point is, the Packers don't have a top second WR. Cobb maybe, MVS possible, Lazard...not yet. The difference in talent between Davante and the rest of our WR's is currently...HUGE.

Last edited:
Reaction score
So to make your complaint valid you want to take catches from Davante Adams? That makes zero sense to me.

Now you need to prove to us that Davante Adams is NOT making good with targets directed at him. Good luck with that! I’m not doing your homework here and I’m not helping you guys because it’s your burden of proof puppy not ours. We didn’t make this assertion you did.

Show us evidence of how his targets have been unsuccessful to a point we should avoid him. I’ve seen nothing but innuendos. Use ypc, % catch ratio, YAC, turnover ratio.. whichever you want. Then show us which Receivers are likely to exceed Davante per catch production in those areas.

PS. Go Tennessee! 34 points on that D?!

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So to make your complaint valid you want to take catches from Davante Adams? That makes zero sense to me.

Now you need to prove to us that Davante Adams is NOT making good with targets directed at him. Good luck with that! I’m not doing your homework here and I’m not helping you guys because it’s your burden of proof puppy not ours. We didn’t make this assertion you did.

Show us evidence of how his targets have been unsuccessful to a point we should avoid him. I’ve seen nothing but innuendos. Use ypc, % catch ratio, YAC, turnover ratio.. whichever you want. Then show us which Receivers are likely to exceed Davante per catch production in those areas.

PS. Go Tennessee! 34 points on that D?!
Actually, I think the surprising thing and a bit disappointing as well, is that with as great as Davante is, defenses are having to really focus on him. Normally, that should give your other receivers more and better opportunities, but for now it doesn't really seem to be the case. Some of that goes back to my other point, we just don't have a ton of talent at WR beyond Davante and perhaps Cobb. Maybe once the OL is healed up and MVS is back, we see MLF, Rodgers and the Packers offense bust loose.