Official Steelers thread

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In Poppa's defense,

You should ALWAYS be proactive and Preventative. There really is never a good idea to walk/run across a freeway.... what would you gain, benefit or accomplish by doing so unless you were looking to get hit by oncoming traffic?

Don't misconstrue my post, may Dwayne RIP

But if you are proactive and Preventative, you could easily avoid/prevent this situation in the first place.....

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now I get it. He was looking to hit by oncoming traffic. Thanks for clearing that up.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Dude? Really? The man just lost his life!
And if he had been not walking on the freeway it would not have happened. I'm sure most parental / adults in his life from early on told him to not play in traffic. I will grant I do not know if his youth was spent in an area where playing in the streets was common.
There are enough tragic issues in the world that the death of an athlete due to his own stupidity no longer even registers.
Poppa needs a timeout.
One week sober. Rotating between partially effective pain killers and severe cold remedies. I have never mixed alcohol in with those.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
And if he had been not walking on the freeway it would not have happened. I'm sure most parental / adults in his life from early on told him to not play in traffic. I will grant I do not know if his youth was spent in an area where playing in the streets was common.
I guess I let the body cool, before I start pointing out how the deceased may or may not have prevented/contributed to their own death. From the initial report, it wasn't like he was driving 127 mph, drunk and killed the driver of another car.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again in Poppa's defense,

It's a life skill. Be proactive and preventive

It can be for ANYTHING, any scenario...

It's like saying, why do we/you avoid going out to bad areas or parts of cities, urban areas....? Why do you avoid certain social groups, people, etc.

Why would someone who is a bad swimmer avoid white water rafting? Why do airports do security checks to check for guns/weapons/etc.? Why do you get an oil change or your brakes/tires replaced on your vehicle? Etc.

You realize a LOT of times it's just being proactive and preventive right?

I don't know the ENTIRE situation/scenario regarding Dwayne and so I don't want to say anything ignorant or disrespectful...but if you just DO NOT walk/run across a freeway you can 99.9% prevent being hit by a car, truck, etc.....

May Dwayne RIP

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again in Poppa's defense,

It's a life skill. Be proactive and preventive

It can be for ANYTHING, any scenario...

It's like saying, why do we/you avoid going out to bad areas or parts of cities, urban areas....? Why do you avoid certain social groups, people, etc.

Why would someone who is a bad swimmer avoid white water rafting? Why do airports do security checks to check for guns/weapons/etc.? Why do you get an oil change or your brakes/tires replaced on your vehicle? Etc.

You realize a LOT of times it's just being proactive and preventive right?

I don't know the ENTIRE situation/scenario regarding Dwayne and so I don't want to say anything ignorant or disrespectful...but if you just DO NOT walk/run across a freeway you can 99.9% prevent being hit by a car, truck, etc.....

May Dwayne RIP
That boat has already sailed.

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nothing about what poppa says is insensitive or untrue.

It is illegal to walk along or cross highways for this reason. Is it unfortunate? Of course. Was it avoidable? Absolutely.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

It is illegal to walk along or cross highways for this reason. Is it unfortunate? Of course. Was it avoidable? Absolutely.
all true

but I think people are thinking insensitivite

Reaction score
I know it was 6:37am from police reports. Also it was the Interstate which is dangerous as it is. No mention of his vehicle (flat or broken down etc) so it appears he’s on foot walking and suddenly tried to cross?

It’s all very peculiar. I just looked it up. In Ft Lauderdale FL sunrise is around 7:01 am tomorrow. So give or take 3 minutes. He was struck at 6:37am.
It’s one thing to be walking on the side of the Interstate in daylight and It’s quite another to be out there a half hour prior to sunrise and trying the cross the Interstate on foot.

I’m sure more details will emerge to clear that up. It just sucks though he was just 24 years and had his entire life ahead. He posted a video of Najee Harris walking and they were joking around just Friday. Such a terrible and sudden loss

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know it was 6:37am from police reports. Also it was the Interstate which is dangerous as it is. No mention of his vehicle (flat or broken down etc) so it appears he’s on foot walking and suddenly tried to cross?

It’s all very peculiar. I just looked it up. In Ft Lauderdale FL sunrise is around 7:01 am tomorrow. So give or take 3 minutes. He was struck at 6:37am.
It’s one thing to be walking on the side of the Interstate in daylight and It’s quite another to be out there a half hour prior to sunrise and trying the cross the Interstate on foot.

I’m sure more details will emerge to clear that up. It just sucks though he was just 24 years and had his entire life ahead. He posted a video of Najee Harris walking and they were joking around just Friday. Such a terrible and sudden loss
I’m on a golf trip right now where there would be every reason in the world for white law abiding citizens to be walking along an interstate that time of morning (if our car broke down)

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I’m on a golf trip right now where there would be every reason in the world for white law abiding citizens to be walking along an interstate that time of morning (if our car broke down)
What state allows people to walk the freeway whether their vehicle is disabled or not? And why did you need to bring race into it?

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I've said with Poppa all along,

The best thing is just to AVOID scenarios/situations like that. It's not hard or rocket science....

May Dwayne RIP respectfully

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just want to Thank you & Poppa. I mean if you guys wouldn't have posted (like a minute after the guy's death) that bad things can happen when walking in the dark on an interstate I doubt any of us would have known that.