Official Packers @ Miami studs and duds

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only because I figured you might still think they were good. Which they aren't.

Winning is great, but that doesn't mean he isn't too conservative. Any coach with Rodgers is going to win most of his games.

They are also 4-2 and .1 point per game behind the Packers... Certainly not a bad team.

We already discussed the conservative part in another thread and you failed to provide examples when I asked so I'm not getting into that again.

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When asked for examples of not going for it on 4th down, you gave me yesterday from the 49....It was 4th and 19...

I guess you missed the part where I showed they ranked 22nd in 4th down attempts. With 3 in 6 games. One of which was an end of game attempt where they were forced to go for it or lose. But I guess you consider that really aggressive.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess you missed the part where I showed they ranked 22nd in 4th down attempts. With 3 in 6 games. One of which was an end of game attempt where they were forced to go for it or lose. But I guess you consider that really aggressive.

Would it bet better to be 2 for 9 like Miami?

Clearly, they attempt more than they should or are down often.

I asked for examples of when they should have gone for it and you cannot provide that.

They had games, like the Bears and Vikings games, where there were zero opportunities to go for it when it made sense.

You're picking one stat and claiming it overrules all the evidence I gave that show aggression this season.

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would it bet better to be 2 for 9 like Miami?

Clearly, they attempt more than they should or are down often.

I asked for examples of when they should have gone for it and you cannot provide that.

They had games, like the Bears and Vikings games, where there were zero opportunities to go for it when it made sense.

You're picking one stat and claiming it overrules all the evidence I gave that show aggression this season.

Zero opportunities my ****.

What evidence you showed?

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero opportunities my ****.

What evidence you showed?

I said this already. "I can think of many examples of not being conservative during recent weeks. Went for it on 4th and 1 yesterday. Throwing on 3 and 1 to Adams for a TD against the Vikings. Throwing the ball on 3rd down instead of running to pick up the first against the Jets and seal the game. Trusting the defense yesterday by not going for it was actually very aggressive. He was going for two scores and the win instead of one and a tie. Consistently, they throw deeper than needed to pick up a first on third down and score or pick up big yardage: two TDs vs. the Bears doing that."

We disagree on the FG, I know, but those are plenty of examples off the top of my head from recent weeks.

I'll ask again. What were the opportunities? In two blowout games, when should they have gone for it?

If McCarthy doesn't go for it so often, then where are your example of that?

You have no idea how to back up an opinion with solid evidence.

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It only took me asking like 8 times to get specific examples. For future reference, to make your opinion stronger on the forum and to not **** people off, just give evidence right away.

For future reference, you come across as a condescending *********.

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also, for future reference. You don't get to decide how people argue. Unless I missed moderator from your title.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also, for future reference. You don't get to decide how people argue. Unless I missed moderator from your title.

I've already explained that providing an opinion without support isn't strong...

If you want people to agree with you, support is needed.

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've already explained that providing an opinion without support isn't strong...

If you want people to agree with you, support is needed.

I gave ample supporting evidence. The fact it wasn't to your liking is not really relevant to me. Unless you think that all arguments aren't valid unless Carl says so.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I gave ample supporting evidence. The fact it wasn't to your liking is not really relevant to me. Unless you think that all arguments aren't valid unless Carl says so.

I'm aware you did and acknowledged that like 2 posts ago. It just took you a very long time.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't read the whole thread, but Nick Perry has been playing pretty well lately. If he keeps it up some people are going to have to find something else to complain about.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You don't get to decide how people argue. Unless I missed moderator from your title.

To be fair, he's not--he's just reminding you of the Philosophic Burden of Proof.

You are the one making the positive claim (McCarthy is a conservative coach,) thus it is up to you to provide the evidence to support your claim.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe I'm not fully understanding it but my knee jerk reaction from looking at the graph is: Well, duuuuh! Thank you Captain Obvious!
I thought the percentages were interesting. Advanced Football Analytics has a 4th down calculator (http://www.advancedfootballanalytics.com/index.php/home/tools/4th-down-calculator) If you fill in the blanks, the probability of winning the game down 10 with 4 minutes to go was .07 if they made the 4th down; .06 if they made the field goal. Pretty much a loss either way, which makes The Drive even more impressive.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't read the whole thread, but Nick Perry has been playing pretty well lately. If he keeps it up some people are going to have to find something else to complain about.
Trust me. That will not be a problem.
We've still got Bush, Jones,Kuhn and the missing TE's on the roster and if all of them have the unmitigated gall to play well, there's always Hawk and Guion that are a couple bad plays away from becoming the punching bag of the week. (Tic)

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trust me. That will not be a problem.
We've still got Bush, Jones,Kuhn and the missing TE's on the roster and if all of them have the unmitigated gall to play well, there's always Hawk and Guion that are a couple bad plays away from becoming the punching bag of the week. (Tic)

There's always play calling to complain about as well, even if it works.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought the percentages were interesting. Advanced Football Analytics has a 4th down calculator (http://www.advancedfootballanalytics.com/index.php/home/tools/4th-down-calculator) If you fill in the blanks, the probability of winning the game down 10 with 4 minutes to go was .07 if they made the 4th down; .06 if they made the field goal. Pretty much a loss either way, which makes The Drive even more impressive.
error: we were down 7. Making the 4th down conversion gave us a .15 chance of winning: making the field goal gave us a .22 chance of winning. Same conclusion. But MM made the right decision.