Official Packers @ Miami studs and duds

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TJ Lang saved the game for Rodgers' magic. But if the offensive line had come to play the whole game, he wouldn't have had to. Let's face it: our offensive line is unable to block good defensive lines--maybe even average defensive lines. Not much new here with an MM team, other for the final 2 games and playoff run in 2010. 3 sacks, 6 QB hits, and who knows how many hurries? Bakhtiari was completely overwhelmed, as was Bulaga in the passing game. Rogers won't last the season if the line doesn't decide to block.

Ha Ha is the new star of the defense. Great player. Let's hope the injuries to the corners are not serious. Someone must have threatened Guion with unemployment. He has looked good 2 weeks in a row. Now, if we could find a middle linebacker somewhere, the defense would be solid.

We have a MLB in Lattimore. Just hope he's not out long.

MiamiBeachPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TJ Lang saved the game for Rodgers' magic. But if the offensive line had come to play the whole game, he wouldn't have had to. Let's face it: our offensive line is unable to block good defensive lines--maybe even average defensive lines. Not much new here with an MM team, other for the final 2 games and playoff run in 2010. 3 sacks, 6 QB hits, and who knows how many hurries? Bakhtiari was completely overwhelmed, as was Bulaga in the passing game. Rogers won't last the season if the line doesn't decide to block.

Ha Ha is the new star of the defense. Great player. Let's hope the injuries to the corners are not serious. Someone must have threatened Guion with unemployment. He has looked good 2 weeks in a row. Now, if we could find a middle linebacker somewhere, the defense would be solid.

TJV posted this in another thread

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...renches-vs-packers-b99369606z1-278967561.html

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Where does the run, run perception keep coming from? And how it is automatically bad just by doing it?

Happened two weeks and someone pointed out they went run, run, pass on only 9/22 series.

I don't remember much of that today, so I looked through the play by play to confirm. Here are the number of times they started a series with run, run:

1st quarter: 3
2nd quarter: 2
3rd quarter: 1
4th quarter: 0
Total: 6/29 (Excluded the kneel to end the half and entire last drive as doing as doing run, run was not on option then.)

And out of those 6, they picked up the first down on 4 of those series. In other words, in only 2/27 series did they do run, run and it didn't work out for them.
It's just that it gets real frustrating watching them try to run only to get stopped and yet keep on trying that.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Studs: (1)Packer fans in Miami(Go Pack Go was very loud) (2) 2nd string "D" backs
Duds: (1)Well Jones is a gimme (Ok Brad you would be great in flag football, where you don't have to tackle)(2) A J Hawk is faked out way to much(3) MM, (No creativity in offensive play calling) everyone knew it was hand off to Lacy, and up the middle.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
studs-arod, adams, jordy , cobb, shields, haha, lang

Duds- clay mathews i say that because he was get blocked by a single guy all game and couldn't get by him. clay has to do better man.

DarkHelmet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:

Rodgers. Great first series. Getting up on the road is huge. Made some mistakes on the ensuing drives but got it back together to finish very strong. The game winning drive was incredible. Philbin's knowledge of the Packers O hurt: Miami pass rush was pretty effective. Rodgers brought some of that on himself by rolling the play clock down to zero too often. If you're a defensive lineman and you see the clock get to 1 second you might as well begin your rush.

Nelson. Great speed, great hands, great vision, great yards after catch. Dropped one that he should have caught though it was thrown low.

Cobb. Came through big when needed.

Adams. Remarkable poise and concentration for a rookie.

Quarless. Did what he needed to do to win the game.

Crosby. Has been Mr. Reliable this year.

Starks. Kept finding a way forward even when the O-line gave him nothing.

Peppers. Made some good plays.

Clinton-Dix. Man, is it great to have a playmaker at safety again! He's young and he'll make mistakes, but the talent and drive are unmistakable.

The D-backfield in general. Got it done for the most part, even with two starters sidelined.

Guion. Came up big several times.

The whole D gets a shout-out for that goal-line stand.

Duds:

Brad Jones. When I see him on the field it makes me feel the way I did when Marshall Newhouse would fill in on the O-line. He just isn't very good. He compounds his shortcomings with dumb plays like the hands to the facemask call.

Special teams coverage. Crosby saved a TD. The other ten guys on that play should be embarrassed.

Refs. Missed some obvious holds, P/I and late hits on Rodgers. To their credit, they called it very loose both ways -- hardly any flags at all. Normally I'd be happy about that, but we're an offense-oriented team. When receivers are getting mugged and the QB punished after releasing the ball it hurts us more than the other team, generally speaking.

Here is the tough one: what about McCarthy? His team won on the road in oppressive heat with two important defensive starters out of the game. Gutsy play calling on fourth down. Maybe stayed with the run a little longer than I would have. Biggest question is the decision to go for the field goal late in the fourth quarter. I was screaming for him to go for the TD. The way the defense had been playing I figured there was no way we'd be able to hold them after the ensuing kickoff. Suppose you go for the TD and make it: you can try for 2 points to set up the win, or you can kick the extra point for the tie and hope to hold the Dolphins. Then you only need a FG to win. Suppose you go for the TD and fail. Now you still have to hold the Dolphins, you still have to score a TD and you still have the choice of going for two or playing for overtime. The point is, you needed a touchdown to win the game. Kicking the field goal gets you very little.

That said, he kicked the field goal and ended up winning the game. Maybe it was the act of faith in the defense that made it all possible.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Duds: (3) MM, (No creativity in offensive play calling) everyone knew it was hand off to Lacy, and up the middle.
This is a common comment so I don't mean to be replying only to melvin dangerr: Did you know it was a Lacy run up the middle every play, or only when it actually was a Lacy run up the middle? Do you know what a stretch play is in the zone blocking scheme? Did you like the running plays on the 4th quarter FG drive? A RB carried the ball three times - were all three predictable? Were all three mistakes?

Last edited:

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The point is, you needed a touchdown to win the game. Kicking the field goal gets you very little.

I have no problem with the field goal, since we had to stop the Dolphins either way in order to win, and the field goal made the ensuing TD a win. Even if we miss the field goal, we're in the same situation as going for it and failing. Don't know what the odds are, but I would wager making the TD on 4th down faces greater odds than failing. The defense came up big in that situation, that's for sure, but we can also thank the Dolphins for passing the ball when we're out of timeouts.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting article on odds of making 3rd downs in the NCAA: http://blog.minitab.com/blog/the-st...n-4th-down-do-the-statistics-say-its-a-gamble. The guy used 3rd down instead of 4th by assuming the goal of a first down remains the same in both. If the numbers hold true in the NFL, the success rate of 4th and 6 would be 38%--making the field goal decision the right one by taking a sure 3 points instead of a 62% chance of getting 0.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a common comment so I don't mean to be replying only to melvin dangerr: Did you know it was a Lacy run up the middle every play, or only when it actually was a Lacy run up the middle? Do you know what a stretch play is in the zone blocking scheme? Did you like the running plays on the 4th quarter FG drive? A RB carried the ball three times - were all three predictable? Were all three mistakes?

let me get this straight. If they all weren't exactly the same play that means it wasn't predictable? really?

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting article on odds of making 3rd downs in the NCAA: http://blog.minitab.com/blog/the-st...n-4th-down-do-the-statistics-say-its-a-gamble. The guy used 3rd down instead of 4th by assuming the goal of a first down remains the same in both. If the numbers hold true in the NFL, the success rate of 4th and 6 would be 38%--making the field goal decision the right one by taking a sure 3 points instead of a 62% chance of getting 0.

what are the chances of driving the entire field with 2 minutes left and scoring a td? I'm guessing less than 38%.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
let me get this straight. If they all weren't exactly the same play that means it wasn't predictable? really?
You got it crooked. The point was all running plays are not alike. And that many of Lacy's runs aren't designed to go up the middle - you know what stretch plays are right? There's a big difference between traditional dive or blast runs and stretch running plays.

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You got it crooked. The point was all running plays are not alike. And that many of Lacy's runs aren't designed to go up the middle - you know what stretch plays are right? There's a big difference between traditional dive or blast runs and stretch running plays.

and in your opinion these subtle differences are confusing NFL defenses? if so why were said plays so ineffective yesterday?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
and in your opinion these subtle differences are confusing NFL defenses? if so why were said plays so ineffective yesterday?
This leads me to believe you think all running plays are the same. And apparently you believe the only variable regarding the success of a running play is it's design.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's exactly what he was saying. If the defense plays for a HB dive right up the middle and offense runs a stretch outside, offense wins. If they all focus on Lacy, and Rodgers hands it to Kuhn, offense wins. If they play pass, and the Packers run a draw, offense wins again.

It's nowhere near as simple as just guessing a run.

If the offesne was truly that predictable, the defense would stop the Packers the majority of the time as they'd know what's coming, but they don't and haven't for years.

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This leads me to believe you think all running plays are the same. And apparently you believe the only variable regarding the success of a running play is it's design.

No, I think that if the defense knows a running play is coming it makes it very easy to defend. In particular, if the vast majority of them are up the middle.

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's exactly what he was saying. If the defense plays for a HB dive right up the middle and offense runs a stretch outside, offense wins. If they all focus on Lacy, and Rodgers hands it to Kuhn, offense wins. If they play pass, and the Packers run a draw, offense wins again.

It's nowhere near as simple as just guessing a run.

If the offesne was truly that predictable, the defense would stop the Packers the majority of the time as they'd know what's coming, but they don't and haven't for years.

They didn't stop them the majority of the time yesterday on first and second down when they ran?

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They didn't stop them the majority of the time yesterday on first and second down when they ran?

I was referring to the offesne as a whole. They put up 27 yesterday and have been good for years. If defenses knew what was coming consistently, they'd stop the Packers, but they don't.

Also, just because they were stopped, doesn't mean it was predictable. Miami got off the blocks and beat the o line.

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was referring to the offesne as a whole. They put up 27 yesterday and have been good for years. If defenses knew what was coming consistently, they'd stop the Packers, but they don't.

Also, just because they were stopped, doesn't mean it was predictable. Miami got off the blocks and beat the o line.

so you didn't find yesterday's offense predictable?

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, I think that if the defense knows a running play is coming it makes it very easy to defend. In particular, if the vast majority of them are up the middle.

So if the defense guess right and the Packers run left, it will be easy to stop?

I might disagree more with this post than any other I've seen on the forum. It's nowhere near as simple as just guessing run. To not understand that makes me not take you seriously about saying the offense is predictable.

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So if the defense guess right and the Packers run left, it will be easy to stop?

I might disagree more with this post than any other I've seen on the forum. It's nowhere near as simple as just guessing run. To not understand that makes me not take you seriously about saying the offense is predictable.

you do realize there are defenders on both sides of the ball right?

oh how very condescending. if you can't admit the rather obvious point that knowing whether an offense will run or pass would give the defense an advantage then you just like to argue.

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like I just said, if Miami knew what was coming, the Packers wouldn't have put up 27 points.

oh I think they put up a lot more points than 27 if they had some variation. let's not forget that Miami ranks 22nd in the league in points per game.

Latest posts