Official Niners thread

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think people are hitting the panic button a bit quickly on the OL. As some have correctly pointed out, this is a group made up of 2 rookies and short Bahk. I would have preferred that MLF had given the starting OL some playing time in preseason, but we are going to have to wait a few more weeks before we see progress.

realitybytez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, we knew or should have known that Baktiari would not be here right away.

publicly, the team seemed to believe that bak might even play in the season opener. but that is neither here nor there. they put jenkins there because he was our next-best lineman. now, if we aren't going to move turner to left tackle, whoever we put there is likely to be a guy who would not be a starter (or maybe even a backup) at left tackle for any other team in the nfl. and this is the most important ol position for protecting the blind side of your franchise qb.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Two negatives I can envision in this matchup:

1) The Niners using lots of Lance and QB run game and just shredding the Packers on the ground.

2) George Kittle getting on track for 2021 against us (he's been quiet so far).

Reaction score
I think people are hitting the panic button a bit quickly on the OL. As some have correctly pointed out, this is a group made up of 2 rookies and short Bahk. I would have preferred that MLF had given the starting OL some playing time in preseason, but we are going to have to wait a few more weeks before we see progress.
This. I think can be applied at OL and the D unit meshing as a whole. Who knows, Maybe we’ll go 1-16. But at least let them put 3-4 games together before we order Pine Caskets and bargain for a bulk of discount burial plots :eek:

Some might disagree, but I think we’d be doing ok to hold .500 and get Bak and Z in the mix. We’ve been known to hit our stride mid season before. Plus, I don’t see anyone else in our division maintaining better than a .500 record after 6 contests. Obviously the seeding is nice, but I’m not intimidated going in as a NFC 4th seed with regular season momentum.

Last edited:

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@Shaggy

@swhitset

Explain how a shout box thread will not be the same as a game time thread. So far I cant wrap my head around how they will be diff.. I only see them being the same
It wouldn’t…. defined in those terms… I didn’t say game TIME thread… I said game thread. The difference is one is essentially a shoutbox… the other is a game thread talking about more in depth aspects leading up to the game as well as some discussion during, and especially after the game. If that thread is polluted by all the nonsense and exclamations of the previous shoutbox… I won’t be particularly interested in it.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll just leave most of my game thoughts the next day mostly in the studs and duds thread. Then I can avoid most of the knee jerk comments :)

Reaction score
I’ll freely admit that SF should win this game. But it’s the games we expect to win that haunt us the most. No one is getting GB as a heavy favorite and that in itself is a blessing. Likely SF wins 5/7 at their house. But we just need 1 Win and if we can show up and keep it tight into 4th quarter? I can see us sneaking out with a Victory. I think the status of their RB room is a huge factor, even if they dismiss it that’s where our weakness is on Defense. Spy Jimmy and eliminate him as a runner and make him beat Stokes (hopefully) and Jaire.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
It wouldn’t…. defined in those terms… I didn’t say game TIME thread… I said game thread. The difference is one is essentially a shoutbox… the other is a game thread talking about more in depth aspects leading up to the game as well as some discussion during, and especially after the game. If that thread is polluted by all the nonsense and exclamations of the previous shoutbox… I won’t be particularly interested in it.
Still have to re load it.
So just because its titled shout it will act exactly like every thread we have

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, which is why I don't think you move Turner. It just won't help much and it will make the R side weaker

This will be another slaughter. Don't get your hopes up. There has been no indication thus far that we will win this game, or even compete.
I had this one down as a loss when the schedule came out. I had hoped that we at least compete without the embarrassment of 2019 there. Some people just say a loss is a loss.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
The way I see it, we are going to win a nail bitter close game or get blown the **** out.

D

Deleted member 6794

I didn't mention attempts, so I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.

However, one could argue that LeFleur treated him more like a limited QB in Week 2, having him throw more short passes to the RBs. That definitely helps your completion percentage. Throwing shorter passes makes it seem like he played better, but I don't think that he really did.

You mentioned that Rodgers missed several long passes and had a terrible throw that Adams saved from being intercepted. I just wanted to put into perspective that he had a total of five incompletions all game long. You made it sound like it was a lot more than that.

Rodgers played within MLF's system and fully took advantage of what the defense offered him. Yet fans now criticize him for not being more aggressive. It seems he can't do right with some of you no matter what. In addition you might want to take a look at his completions to Adams and Tonyan on one of the touchdown drives, you will most likely not see a lot of better throws for any quarterback this season.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I didn't mention attempts, so I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.

However, one could argue that LeFleur treated him more like a limited QB in Week 2, having him throw more short passes to the RBs. That definitely helps your completion percentage. Throwing shorter passes makes it seem like he played better, but I don't think that he really did.
The Saints and Lions had similar game plans defensively for Rodgers and the offense. The difference was the coaching staff recognizing the need to feature Jones out of the backfield to take advantage of the matchups on linebackers, and for Rodgers to take the underneath stuff. When teams play 2 shell, it eliminates a lot of opportunity for big plays.

To the captain's point, Rodgers executed the game plan near perfectly.

Rodgers against the Saints:
15 of 28 (53%)
133 yards
0 TDs
2 INTs
4.8 yards/att
36.8 rating
14.1 QBR

Rodgers against the Lions:
22 of 27 (81%)
255 yards
4 TDs
0 INTs
9.4 yards/att
145.6 rating
76.5 QBR

I don't always leap for the stats because it doesn't tell the entire story, but any time you see that huge of a difference in numbers, you really don't even have to watch the game to understand that he played way better against the Lions.

Even disregarding the numbers, I have no clue how your eye test came to the conclusion that both games were even in the same galaxy as far as being similar.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Still have to re load it.
So just because its titled shout it will act exactly like every thread we have
Since it was my idea, I will try to explain again.

Prior to all the site changes and there actually being a shout box, there was a group of posters that hung out in the shout box on game day and chatted back and forth while the game was in action. Meanwhile, there was a game thread that many of us posted in all week before the game, pre-game, maybe halftime and then well beyond. Fast forward to now....there is no shout box so those users are using the game thread to try and do what they did before....chat during the game. So now you have a thread that is a mix of shout "boxers" and non-shout boxers posts. I used to enjoy going to that thread after the game and adding things to it or see what others wrote at half time or postgame. Now....its just a jumbled mess.

I get not wanting duplicate threads, but creating a separate thread for shout boxers to use during a game is just giving them a bit of what they had before and giving the rest of us what we had before.

Pretty simple idea really, so I don't understand the reason it won't work.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Prior to all the site changes and there actually being a shout box, there was a group of posters that hung out in the shout box on game day and chatted back and forth while the game was in action. Meanwhile, there was a game thread that many of us posted in all week before the game, pre-game, maybe halftime and then well beyond. Fast forward to now....there is no shout box so those users are using the game thread to try and do what they did before....chat during the game. So now you have a thread that is a mix of shout "boxers" and non-shout boxers posts. I used to enjoy going to that thread after the game and adding things to it or see what others wrote at half time or postgame. Now....its just a jumbled mess.

I get not wanting duplicate threads, but creating a separate thread for shout boxers to use during a game is just giving them a bit of what they had before and giving the rest of us what we had before.

Yes we fully understand.

I just dont see how the shouters (lets call them that lol) will just stay in the designated shout thread.

That was my thinking

We can try it.. It wont hurt anything..

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes we fully understand.

I just dont see how the shouters (lets call them that lol) will just stay in the designated shout thread.

That was my thinking

We can try it.. It wont hurt anything..
Will it be locked afterwards so that all game analysis and discussion goes into the gameday thread? How will the casual poster know that the game discussion is there?

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Definately Moderator material :whistling:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Will it be locked afterwards so that all game analysis and discussion goes into the gameday thread? How will the casual poster know that the game discussion is there?
IF you label it "Shoutbox for 49'ers Game".....I think most of us will get it. Personally, I don't see any reason to lock either thread after the game, but that is just me. :D

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
IF you label it "Shoutbox for 49'ers Game".....I think most of us will get it. Personally, I don't see any reason to lock either thread after the game, but that is just me. :D
You truly think "most" will get it?

This will be fun

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Against the Lions, there was much more creativity in the playcalling and reliance on the run game and Jones as a dual threat rushing and receiving. That made Rodgers look better but I still think that this season he is well below his typical level of play.
Rodgers isn't spreading the ball around effectively, isn't sharp on his throws, and generally doesn't seem to be reading defenses as well. That said, he made some beautiful passes. It's not all doom and gloom. He is still a great QB.

You can read my entire post, but I essentially agreed with you that the playcalling/gameplan by LeFleur was better in Week 2.

Even disregarding the numbers, I have no clue how your eye test came to the conclusion that both games were even in the same galaxy as far as being similar.
Where we seem to disagree is the affect that the playcalling/gameplan had on Rodgers' numbers. I think that his numbers largely improved because of the playcalling. Since you are arguing the point with me, I assume that you assume that Rodgers was largely the reason for the improvement in his stats. I might also point out that I still said that Rodgers made some beautiful throws. I get the "gotcha" nature of these threads but I'm not saying that Rodgers sucks. I just don't think that he's playing at his typical elite level and don't believe that the improvement in his stats are some kind of proof that he's back. I see room for improvement in his game. With Rodgers missing his deep throws, throwing a terrible pass that essentially was an INT, and improving his numbers by throwing short....I'm just not ready to say that he is playing at an elite level yet.

D

Deleted member 6794

You can read my entire post, but I essentially agreed with you that the playcalling/gameplan by LeFleur was better in Week 2.

Where we seem to disagree is the affect that the playcalling/gameplan had on Rodgers' numbers. I think that his numbers largely improved because of the playcalling. Since you are arguing the point with me, I assume that you assume that Rodgers was largely the reason for the improvement in his stats. I might also point out that I still said that Rodgers made some beautiful throws. I get the "gotcha" nature of these threads but I'm not saying that Rodgers sucks. I just don't think that he's playing at his typical elite level and don't believe that the improvement in his stats are some kind of proof that he's back. I see room for improvement in his game. With Rodgers missing his deep throws, throwing a terrible pass that essentially was an INT, and improving his numbers by throwing short....I'm just not ready to say that he is playing at an elite level yet.

Rodgers didn't solely improve by throwing short passes vs. the Lions. Actually his intended air yards per attempt is currently higher than it was during last season (Packers ranking fifth in the league in that category).

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The essential part of game plan for green and gold should be to stop the run and double kittle. If SF puts the rookie in at QB its RPO. On offense - screens and misdirection. I think this game is a blow out one way or the other, don't think it will be close either way due to the HC of these teams being very good friends. If Rodgers is on it could get interesting, although he may need some more highlights put in the man bun. :rolleyes:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers didn't solely improve by throwing short passes vs. the Lions. Actually his intended air yards per attempt is currently higher than it was during last season (Packers ranking fifth in the league in that category).
Not making any kind of judgement here but certainly there were a lot of "air yards" in those bombs to MVS after the game was in the bag.

Members online

Latest posts