Official Lions studs and duds

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Technology is making fans insufferable. Real time, that's a facemask 9 times out of 10. Slowed down with 10 angles and your hands down your pants on a lazy boy, maybe not.

Well said. I don't even disagree with the non call on the PI the play before that. My initial reaction was that there did look like a lot of contact but it looked like the defender had great position, was facing the ball and the receiver slowed down a bit. Didn't we get one of those calls last week when our receiver stopped and the defender ran through him without looking back? That was PI even though the defender couldn't really help it. Collinsworth said as much, the defender couldn't help it but it will get called every time and it should. People wanting the PI last night will say "look at his right arm, he was pushing it back into the receivers chest and pushing him away. He was not reaching toward the ball with it like he would have been had he been going for the ball" (no kidding I heard one guy say that.) I'd like to see any ref determine that in a split second at full speed. That's another call where so many fans will say its the right call if your guy is the defender its the wrong call if your guy is the receiver. On plays like that I usually don't have a problem with the refs call.

DarkHelmet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duds:
Tom Clements

A. Rodgers (first three quarters)

M. McCarthy (first half)

Lacey (what has happened to this guy? Great for two weeks and then totally ineffective. O-line gets some blame.)

Masthay for the shank at a critical point (though his later punts were much better)

Crosby for missing the kick that would have made the comeback much easier

Heyward -- he just isn't very good. Our younger guys are better even though they make mistakes.

Studs

R. Rodgers. Caught every pass thrown to him. And got open. I had just about written him off this season but he was the hero of the game.

A. Rodgers in the fourth quarter. I'll admit I was screaming for him to be benched in the first half, but Tolzein doesn't engineer that comeback. Good thing I'm not the coach, because I would have sat him down.

Crockett. He provided a spark when everything else was going to hellinahandbasket.

Daniels.

Neal.

The Packers looked utterly awful in the first quarter, though the defense basically stabilized after that. The offense was terrible until late in Q3. This needs to get fixed. Anybody remember the West Coast Offense? Short slant passes, 5-6 yard passes to the RB, quick passes to the TE for a first down? Hello? I sincerely hope this amazing comeback allows A-Rod to get his head back in the game and improve his accuracy. He's been too high, too low, behind, ahead and nowhere near receivers way too often this year. He's a great scrambler, and buys time like no one else. But he takes too many bad sacks. Get rid of the ball. Yes, it messes up your completion stats, but it's far better than taking a 7-12 yard sack that puts you out of field goal range.

On defense, there are a lot of things to like: Daniels and Neal, the young DBs, Matthews, Ryan. But too many mental errors. When the Lions line up three receivers and you line up two men in coverage, well, that's a problem. When crossing routes are open third down after third down, that's a problem. Some of this is youth and inexperience. Some of it seems to be lack of focus. With a little smarter play and some error reduction this defense can be pretty darn good.

Last edited:

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Well, time is running out on those of us who grew up during the Lombardi Dynasty; "next year" is starting to represent a significant percentage of life remaining.....

I think our saying was; "The Pack will be back" in the past.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty sure he got benched for a couple of series after he caused that interception.

That throw was right in his hands. Inexcusable.

Just to be clear it was a catchable pass, and I thought it should have been caught but here is the thing. Rodgers has made that throw hundreds of times and it is normally pin point accuracy right between the numbers or a bit low making it easy for the receiver to go down and get it, where only the receiver has a chance. They showed that play multiple times in slo-mo, JJ had to jump as high as he could and fully extends his body to even get his hands on that ball.

That is what I mean by poor throw by Rodgers, in comparison to most of the similar throw he has made, he did his receiver absolutely no favors on this particular one.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tough catch, but definitely doable. Rodgers did him no favors with that one, but we've seen Jones make tougher. These guys need to help each other out, because not everything is just working like before. They're good enough to help each other out too. Rodgers isn't going to miss most throws, but when they're a little off, fight for that catch. On the flip side, when they're having trouble hanging on, get that ball right on target and make it easier on them play to play. They can lean on each other and get it done.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just to be clear it was a catchable pass, and I thought it should have been caught but here is the thing. Rodgers has made that throw hundreds of times and it is normally pin point accuracy right between the numbers or a bit low making it easy for the receiver to go down and get it, where only the receiver has a chance. They showed that play multiple times in slo-mo, JJ had to jump as high as he could and fully extends his body to even get his hands on that ball.

That is what I mean by poor throw by Rodgers, in comparison to most of the similar throw he has made, he did his receiver absolutely no favors on this particular one.
Touché.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Studs:
Richard Rodgers
Jake Ryan
Kuhn, being a leader and pumping up the team
Run Defense

Duds:
Everyone else

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duds - Viking fans. They are all over the radio and social media whining about the facemask call. What kind of fan base whines about calls in games their team isnt even involved in? It is so sad and so weird.
The offensive line
WR's inability to get separation. It was a problem even last year against press coverage. Now it is awful

Studs - Both Rodgers in the second half
The defense after the Packer got down 20-0. Kept the team in the game
Crockett

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Duds - Viking fans. They are all over the radio and social media whining about the facemask call. What kind of fan base whines about calls in games their team isnt even involved in? It is so sad and so weird.

So they are basically saying they can't win the division on their own merit. They *need* the Packers to be bad, otherwise they don't have a chance. Sounds like what my Pop used to call a "left handed compliment." :whistling:

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Duds - Viking fans. They are all over the radio and social media whining about the facemask call.

I agree that the call was likely not accurate. However, the Lions player that gave the official the opportunity to throw that flag was an idiot. The NFL does not like to see star QBs (or any QB for that matter) slammed to the turf for no reason. A bear hug-drag to the ground would have been fine. So, the Lion's put themselves in a precarious position.

Also, IMO, it was a make up call for the non-PI call the previous play. On that play the defender wasn't trying to play the ball, rather put his arms out so that Abby was screened from the ball. Absolutely a penalty that was missed.

Studs: Crocket. Maybe this guy will show the other RBs that there ARE holes to run through.

Duds: Coaching staff & play caller. Lack of screens except for the 38 yarder that was called back and all the mostly-positive screens at the end of the game. Also, where is Janis? Come on.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm mixed on Clements last night. I'll bring up two plays (really four):

1) The announcers pointed out that the Packers faked a reverse early on in the game, running something of a jet sweep instead. Later on they actually executed the reverse out of the same play but Z Ansah and others snuff it out. In the third quarter they ran the same play but instead ran up the middle (I believe - brain is hazy). To me that's good play calling to get multiple plays out of the same alignment.

2) Bahktiari goes out, we're pretty much all backups on the o-line facing 3rd and 12 or so....knowing that they will send the house to take advantage of the injury and we call a drop-back pass. Call a screen, a draw, or anything that gets the ball out of the QBs hands immediately while taking advantage of the defense's aggressiveness.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
1) The announcers pointed out that the Packers faked a reverse early on in the game, running something of a jet sweep instead. Later on they actually executed the reverse out of the same play but Z Ansah and others snuff it out. In the third quarter they ran the same play but instead ran up the middle (I believe - brain is hazy). To me that's good play calling to get multiple plays out of the same alignment.
Was this the time RR whiffed blocking the OLB(?) and ran through the gap to get to the safety? Meanwhile the OLB turned the play back inside where Ziggy was.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that the call was likely not accurate. However, the Lions player that gave the official the opportunity to throw that flag was an idiot. The NFL does not like to see star QBs (or any QB for that matter) slammed to the turf for no reason. A bear hug-drag to the ground would have been fine. So, the Lion's put themselves in a precarious position.

Also, IMO, it was a make up call for the non-PI call the previous play. On that play the defender wasn't trying to play the ball, rather put his arms out so that Abby was screened from the ball. Absolutely a penalty that was missed.

Studs: Crocket. Maybe this guy will show the other RBs that there ARE holes to run through.

Duds: Coaching staff & play caller. Lack of screens except for the 38 yarder that was called back and all the mostly-positive screens at the end of the game. Also, where is Janis? Come on.

How many screens are they supposed to run a game?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many screens are they supposed to run a game?

No kidding, it seems like the screen has become their primary pass play rather than a change of pace, I long for the day when it will return to being that while we see much more successful downfield passing.

Plenty of issues with the O right now, lack of screens isn't one of them IMO.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm mixed on Clements last night.
They did try some different things last night including Abby and Janis at WR early in the game. As El Guapo posted they even tried a reverse to Cobb with a couple of variations of that play. Hell, Rodgers even threw an INT - that has to make some here who post he shouldn't be so careful with the ball and "wing it" happy.

BTW, how many screens should they run? They should run them at least until the defense stops 'em.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Those who want to whine about the facemask penalty should remember that had Mason Crosby's second quarter field goal attempt not hit the upright and bounced wide, the Packers would have pulled ahead 24-23 on Aaron Rodgers' td run in the fourth quarter.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm getting sick already of the whining about the facemask. In real time it looks to all the world like a facemask, and even in slow motion looked at 1,000 times there's still enough there to justify the flag. Calling it a blatantly bad call is just ridiculous. It wasn't anywhere close to being blatant. Anytime a ref sees a hand to the face and the head being twisted around they're going to assume facemask. It was an iffy call, but it weren't no Fail Mary.

I also agree with the no-call on PI the play before. Detroit defender had his head turned and was making a play on the ball. Packer receiver had to come back for it and that's when there was contact. No foul was the correct call.