Official Lions studs and duds

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem is the rule itself; it's too 'ticky tack', for lack of a better term. Even the slightest unintentional contact to any part of the head is by rule a penalty. This was, by definition, a penalty- period.
They need to define it better, put some slack and leeway into it. I didn't care for the call, but it was a penalty.

MichiganSportsTalk

Lions fan for longer than I can remember
Reaction score

Still shots are disingenuous at best with a play like this.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Watch the slow motion replay at 0:35 in the above video. Change the settings to play it at .25 speed.

I will give Rodgers credit, he is a smart man. He can see where Taylor's hand is, and he starts turning his head in that direction before Taylor ever touches him. Taylor's thumb brushes the facemask for the briefest of moments, having no impact on where Rodgers' head is already turning. He very clearly pulls him down by grabbing the jersey on top of his shoulder. Once on the ground, Rodgers' sells the hell out of it.

As I stated before, this should have been irrelevant because the Lions had a 20-0 lead, but they blew it in true Lions style. I understand why the call on the field was made, I just disagree with it.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs: Us winning

Duds: Tim Masthay is terrible.

The entire oline is terrible. These guys can't run block or pass block nowadays. That's directed at both starters and backups.

Did James Jones play in this game?

Play calling . These guys stink haha. It's hard to watch this offense without wanting to throw something. A pitch on 3rd and 1?? Like really? Who calls that? haha. The third down conversion ratio is a joke and they still have yet to get any real production from these Wrs. The best plays of the game are broken plays.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Still shots are disingenuous at best with a play like this.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Watch the slow motion replay at 0:35 in the above video. Change the settings to play it at .25 speed.

I will give Rodgers credit, he is a smart man. He can see where Taylor's hand is, and he starts turning his head in that direction before Taylor ever touches him. Taylor's thumb brushes the facemask for the briefest of moments, having no impact on where Rodgers' head is already turning. He very clearly pulls him down by grabbing the jersey on top of his shoulder. Once on the ground, Rodgers' sells the hell out of it.

As I stated before, this should have been irrelevant because the Lions had a 20-0 lead, but they blew it in true Lions style. I understand why the call on the field was made, I just disagree with it.

Slo mo makes it look like it's ticky tack. Real speed I thought it was no doubt, I"m sure the guy that threw it saw the head turn and him go down looking like he still had the face mask and not his shoulder pad. Anyway, I seem to remember some past plays where we've picked it off or sacked the qb, but a hand brushed the face mask on the way down and they ended up with a 1st down + 15 yards, including against the Lions.

Besides after getting an OPI on Jones last week for that weak stuff at the goaline and seeing Detroit blocking immediately at the snap of the ball on every single bubble screen time after time all night and never getting called, I'm not apologizing for anything. One of the first drives our defender beats the block and then gets grabbed and practically dragged out of bounds right in front of a ref.

and on top of all that, Detroit was just begging for an ending like this the second that signed Golden Tate :)

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We'll be ok if we recover all of our own fumbles in the end zone and complete Hail Marys the rest of the season--both plays mainly dependent on luck. In truth, this was a lucky win by a team advertised to be a Championship contender. It has become apparent we're no better than an average-to-below average Lions team (which pretty much is today's NFL). I see us finishing 9 and 7 with a win against the purple to finish the season-- which wins the division, setting up an early exit from the playoffs. Wait'll next year.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty sure he got benched for a couple of series after he caused that interception.

That throw was right in his hands. Inexcusable.

Are you being serious? Because that was an awful throw and very high. Jones got his hands on it with a leap but it would have been an incredible catch. That INT was about 90% Rodgers and 10% Jones. It was most certainly not a drop.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
part of that falls on AR--he can switch the side...So dont blame it all on Tom

Sometimes the play is wrong one because it doesn't work.

The majority of the time a play is the wrong one because it doesn't work.

All season long we have been hearing three complaints, well more than three but three that pertain here, they play calling sucks, Rodgers is missing his receivers and the receivers are dropping the ball. So why would Tom Clements be calling for drops and missed throws. If even half of those plays were executed properly we would not be having this discussion and I don't think that is an unrealistic expectation given what we have seen from these very same players in the past.

As vic said "sprint right option drop" is one of his favorite plays when the other team runs it along with "toss power trap fumble"

This applies more so to complaints about individual plays and I can somewhat understand the complaints like last week when we were ripping off yards by running and we seemed to give up on it but even then we are mostly complaining because the individual passes didn't work. If half of those bad passes went our way we would be praising TC for his balanced and effective play calling.

I'm not a big Vic fan by any means but I do agree with his "players not plays" mentality.

Last edited:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sometimes the opponent just has the right call on defense. You have 3 blockers to deal with 4 defenders at the point of attack.
The other guys get paid, too.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty sure he got benched for a couple of series after he caused that interception.

That throw was right in his hands. Inexcusable.
It probably should have been caught but that was aa horrible throw by Rodgers

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You should be. Because the next time it might be going against your team. That one call could down the road change the outcome of who goes to the playoffs or the seeding. But as long as the Packer benefit, screw it. Right. This isn't just about this game. This is about the **** poor job the refs are doing week in and week out. It's making the game BS.

I don't believe the call was correct, but I understand why the ref made the call.

These are human beings trying to do the best they can. There is some element of error in every game introduced by the refs as much of their job is judgement. Their role is to keep things as level as possible, keep the game moving along, and both teams within the rules. You could easily call holding or something on pretty much every play, but that would make the game unwatchable. So they pick and choose and go for more of just the flagrant fouls.

Additionally, there are no perfect rules. Take the reception definition. I expect it will be shifted this off-season to accomodate the talking heads comments. But it will always be a grey area. The current definition was created a few years ago to eliminate grey areas - it didn't, it just moved it. The definition next year will be just as confusing and as soon as a pass is either obviously a reception or a drop to the common sense approach and it is ruled the opposite based on the symantics of the definition, there will be a new push to redefine what a catch is.

If you are expecting perfection in the rules and those interpretting them, you will always be disappointed. The only thing you can hope for is that things over the course of a season will balance themselves out. I feel badly for the Lions, they seem to be on the rotten end of these calls more often than not.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It probably should have been caught but that was aa horrible throw by Rodgers
Are you being serious? Because that was an awful throw and very high. Jones got his hands on it with a leap but it would have been an incredible catch. That INT was about 90% Rodgers and 10% Jones. It was most certainly not a drop.
I have to watch it again, but it looked very catchable. I could be wrong.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Technology is making fans insufferable. Real time, that's a facemask 9 times out of 10. Slowed down with 10 angles and your hands down your pants on a lazy boy, maybe not.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Problem is, people will, for the rest of the year talk about how the Packers were "given" a game by the refs. You will hear over and over again. It won't go away. Just like the Fail mary in Seattle.
Yes, it will go away. In the Fail Mary game, the deciding play was a horrible call and that was recognized – nearly universally - by national pundits. And it was a horrible call if you looked at it in slow motion or real time. Last night’s call led to the deciding play and if you look at it in real time it looks like a correct call. You can't marvel at Wilson's Fail Mary pass because it was only "completed" by the replacement refs. There is no taint on the Rodgers-to-Rodgers Hail Mary. You watch, while the Fail Mary play was brought up frequently for the rest of the season, the facemask call will fade away, except for some Lions fans and (at least one) Vikings fan. C’mon Raptorman, you’re better than this: This is just your sad perspective as a Vikings fan talking. Dud: Raptorman!

D

Deleted member 6794

I also think for a flash the O'line came up with there biggest play of the night I think it was Sitton that made that big block that let A-rod launch that ICBM to R Rodgers

That was actually Barclay making a good block.

Most of the studs and duds have already been posted but I´m surprised no one has mentioned Peppers inexcusable mistake lining up in the neutral zone, giving the Lions another chance on a stalled drive which ended up with three points for them.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Captain WIMM, I noticed Peppers screw up and mentioned it during the game in the shoutbox. I don't know how you don't see that you're lined up offsides.

Members online

Latest posts