Official Gameday Thread: Packers vs Vikings - The quest for 9-0

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Here is a tidbit... When Ponder started the game against the Packers he didn't refer to the wrist band for the plays. He knows the playbook and took the time to learn unlike McNabb. Ponder works very hard throughout the week studying film, watching defensive tendencies, and how the coverage rotates. I'm sure other quarterbacks work hard, but coaches, ayers and his college coaches have all chimed in that he has a Manning-Brady type of attitude when it comes to properly preparing for an opponent and bettering himself as a player. Hmmmm... sounds a lot like how Aaron Rodgers prepares himself.

I'm hoping the Packers take him lightly... even if they don't, Ponder will come out firing. This is an upset in the making.

~Val

Excellent post..

One thing people are forgetting...The Vikings werent losing by much..In fact they were winning in a few of those games..And that was with Mcnabb

I have said it a few times already..Packers fans better not take any team for granted...Every week they will get the opponents A game and want to beat them..

Now teams are thinking about it even more now that the Packers are undefeated..It will get worse every week that they dont lose

D

Dan115

I agree. The vikes are a very dangerous team. Packers should not be favored by 13.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
You got that right, Val, if the Vikings win we will all be upset.

Seriously, I think you make a great point there. I believe that one of the things that have contributed to Rodgers doing as well as he has is his commitment to preparation. I think the off-the-field preparation is often highly underrated. If Ponder is that type of student of the game (and of his opponents) things may bode well for Viking fans (and not so well for their opponents).

But what sets Rodgers apart from other "preparers" is his on field awareness and accurate snap judgment. McCarthy himself said he hasn't seen anyone like this since he coached Joe Montana. Can the same be said for Ponder? Only time will tell I guess.

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
Neilfii...your avatar, and the fact of the 50th anniversary of "The West Side Story" ....makes me think of that song and finger snapping for the upcoming Vikes game...

Jets vs. Sharks... que the music... da du , da du...da du... followed by da, da, da, dada , da , da , da...GO PACK GO!

:coffee: *I've got an excellent cup of coffee going!!!! hehehee...and no whiskey involved!

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
Neilfii...your avatar, and the fact of the 50th anniversary of "The West Side Story" ....makes me think of that song and finger snapping for the upcoming Vikes game...

Jets vs. Sharks... que the music... da du , da du...da du... followed by da, da, da, dada , da , da , da...GO PACK GO!

:coffee: *I've got an excellent cup of coffee going!!!! hehehee...and no whiskey involved!

Rockin my own great coffee this morning: Burundi Bwayi. :coffee::)

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. The vikes are a very dangerous team. Packers should not be favored by 13.

I wouldn't favor the Pack by 13 beforehand in this one either; although they should have won the last one by 30. If the defense doesn't get caught flat-footed by the 70 yd. pass play on the game's first play, if Cobb doesn't fumble a punt at midfield and later drop a td pass in his hands the Vikes probably lose 14 pts and the Packers gain at least another 14 on the final point total.

The Packers played only one good quarter of football the last time at the Metrodome, when they scored 20 in the third quarter. The rest of the time they sparred around and let Minnesota hang around. But with the game on the line at the end they rammed it down the Queens' throats with a dominating rushing performance.

The Packers are undefeated but hardly perfect. There's plenty of things in the house to clean up so maybe that helps avoid complacency and overconfidence at Lombardi Avenue. The last 3 games have been ragged so maybe this is one where the team is determined to play a complete and dominating game. Would love to see another 34-0 kind of game against this rival like at Lambeau in '07.

WhiteHouseOn3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK folks, I can't shake this nagging eery feeling, so I'm changing my prediction; 27-24 Vikings. Let the tomatoes fly.
I've got a bad gut feeling too. Everytime I've had it, it's been a rough game. I hope it's gone by Monday or else it's gonna be a looooooong day at work.
Based on the players' tweets, they seem very prepared. I hope they're right.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score

All the drama with Brent, A-Rod, McNabb and Ponder.
The rivalry.
We got the makings for a Mid-States Story going on here.
Auditions start next weekend.

When your a Brett your a Brett
From your first cell text to your last intercept
Then you are set
With a capital B
Which you'll never forget
When you retire finally
(West Side Story rawks, btw.)

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be more excited if Brett was coming to town in purple instead of Ponder
Even though I wish, really, really wish that it would have been 3-1 for the Pack, I'll still take 2-2.
And why not a bunch of more boos for BrINT?

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
The rivalry.

Then you are set
With a capital B
When you retire finally

that was AWESOME!!! ... now I really can't wait till Monday NIGHT!!!! *snap, snap , snap....

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I wouldn't favor the Pack by 13 beforehand in this one either; although they should have won the last one by 30. If the defense doesn't get caught flat-footed by the 70 yd. pass play on the game's first play, if Cobb doesn't fumble a punt at midfield and later drop a td pass in his hands the Vikes probably lose 14 pts and the Packers gain at least another 14 on the final point total.

The Packers played only one good quarter of football the last time at the Metrodome, when they scored 20 in the third quarter. The rest of the time they sparred around and let Minnesota hang around. But with the game on the line at the end they rammed it down the Queens' throats with a dominating rushing performance.

The Packers are undefeated but hardly perfect. There's plenty of things in the house to clean up so maybe that helps avoid complacency and overconfidence at Lombardi Avenue. The last 3 games have been ragged so maybe this is one where the team is determined to play a complete and dominating game. Would love to see another 34-0 kind of game against this rival like at Lambeau in '07.
If, if, if. If Woodson didn't have two interceptions, if the Vikings hadn't blown coverage on one play the Packer scored a touchdown on, the game would have ended different as well. Remember, the "ifs" work for both teams.

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
The rivalry.

Then you are set
With a capital B
When you retire finally

MidWEST-side story!!!!!!!!!! (wait.. I"m in Missouri..I guess Wisconsin and Minny wouldn't qualify as midwest... sonofa..)
:confused:
Mid-states it is!!!

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
North WESTside-story??? :whistling: * snap..snap...snap da duh da duh... .da dah da da duh......!!!!

omg... you poor members... you'll be SO glad when its Tuesday!!!!

Valhalla Express

SKOL VIKINGS!
Reaction score
That is a VERY high compliment made by McCarthy. Joe Montana was a true student of the game as is Rodgers. Back in the 80's it was Montana, Marino and Elway (Fouts). 90's it was Elway, Favre and Aikman (Young). Now it is Manning (injured or not), Brady and Rodgers (Favre). Ponder has the work ethic, physical skills, intelligence, and understanding of the game to succeed in the NFL. Once he is seasoned, I'm thinking he will be more like Drew Brees than Aaron Rodgers. Rodgers, right now, is truly in a class all by himself. Your Packers are so lucky to have had two great QB's in a row. Poor teams like the Dolphins and Redskins just can't seem to get their engine started as it were.

I'm just excited to see two rivals play on the national stage this Monday night!

~Val

But what sets Rodgers apart from other "preparers" is his on field awareness and accurate snap judgment. McCarthy himself said he hasn't seen anyone like this since he coached Joe Montana. Can the same be said for Ponder? Only time will tell I guess.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts