Official Game Day Thread: Super Bowl XLV - Packers vs. Steelers - 2/6: WIN 31 - 25

LombardiChick

Win or lose, I love this team.
Reaction score
Hat tip to our Packer brethren on ESPN:
Pitt Researchers Find 2010 Packers One of the Unluckiest Pro Football Teams in the Past 30 Years

Analysis of NFL regular-season records since 1978 reveals that the 2010 Green Bay Packers lost their games by the narrowest margins in history, which, by the statistical theory that close games are decided by luck more than skill, makes them the second-most hapless team after the 1999 Oakland Raiders

Feb 2, 2011

PITTSBURGH—As contenders in Super Bowl XLV, the Green Bay Packers are clearly skilled—but are they lucky enough to triumph on Feb. 6?

Maybe not.

University of Pittsburgh engineers crunched the regular-season records of every National Football League team since 1978—when the 16-game schedule began—and found that chance has smiled on the 2010 Packers less often than on any other team except the 1999 Oakland Raiders. All six regular-season losses by the sixth-seeded Packers were by fewer than four points, a consistently narrow margin that may denote the handiwork of misfortune more than a shortage of talent, the researchers say.

Andrew Schaefer, an associate professor of industrial engineering in Pitt’s Swanson School of Engineering, and Pitt industrial engineering sophomore Dylan Davis based their analysis on existing statistical research that suggests that the outcome of a close game—defined as a loss by fewer than 10 points—is most often decided by luck, that unknown or unpredictable factor that tips the game toward one team or the other.

“By this one particular definition of ‘luck’, the 2010 Packers appear to be the number six seed team through bad luck alone—no other team has lost so many games by such a very narrow margin,” Schaefer said. “Whether one blames bad luck or not, they definitely appear to be one of the strongest 10-6 teams in NFL history.”

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Former Green Bay Packers quarterback Bart Starr accepts an award for current quarterback Aaron Rodgers . Rodgers was named the FedEx Air NFL Player of the Year.

Thanks for this. Nice to see a picture of a man who was my parents' neighbor 42 years ago. He certainly aged better than I did...!!

LombardiChick

Win or lose, I love this team.
Reaction score
Thanks for this. Nice to see a picture of a man who was my parents' neighbor 42 years ago. He certainly aged better than I did...!!

I'm sure you aged just fine! (Hey, did you see the article on ESPN that mentions this forum, and the person whose mother answered the door and it was Bart Starr? Was that you?)

It's so good to see Bart Starr looking good and participating in these things. I wish some of the other guys were still alive (I know some are...just thinking of the ones who aren't today.)

Speaking of which - I'm hanging a Ray Nitschke autograph on the wall in my workout room today...gotta get it up there for the game.

cheesehurdler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hat tip to our Packer brethren on ESPN:
Pitt Researchers Find 2010 Packers One of the Unluckiest Pro Football Teams in the Past 30 Years

Analysis of NFL regular-season records since 1978 reveals that the 2010 Green Bay Packers lost their games by the narrowest margins in history, which, by the statistical theory that close games are decided by luck more than skill, makes them the second-most hapless team after the 1999 Oakland Raiders

Feb 2, 2011

PITTSBURGH—As contenders in Super Bowl XLV, the Green Bay Packers are clearly skilled—but are they lucky enough to triumph on Feb. 6?

Maybe not.

University of Pittsburgh engineers crunched the regular-season records of every National Football League team since 1978—when the 16-game schedule began—and found that chance has smiled on the 2010 Packers less often than on any other team except the 1999 Oakland Raiders. All six regular-season losses by the sixth-seeded Packers were by fewer than four points, a consistently narrow margin that may denote the handiwork of misfortune more than a shortage of talent, the researchers say.

Andrew Schaefer, an associate professor of industrial engineering in Pitt’s Swanson School of Engineering, and Pitt industrial engineering sophomore Dylan Davis based their analysis on existing statistical research that suggests that the outcome of a close game—defined as a loss by fewer than 10 points—is most often decided by luck, that unknown or unpredictable factor that tips the game toward one team or the other.

“By this one particular definition of ‘luck’, the 2010 Packers appear to be the number six seed team through bad luck alone—no other team has lost so many games by such a very narrow margin,” Schaefer said. “Whether one blames bad luck or not, they definitely appear to be one of the strongest 10-6 teams in NFL history.”

This is proof that luck doesn't win you Super Bowls. For further proof, see the 2010 Chicago Bears season.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know that it's already been said in here, but Romanowskis is a piece of ****. Don't care if he's defending Rodgers or the Packers, as a player and a human being, he's pretty much worthless.

lol the white harrison

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dammit. I was kind of hoping he'd go. 100% of Legursky has to be better than 60% of Pouncey would've been.

Without a doubt, and he is a rookie; no matter how great of a season he had you don't know how he would react on that stage.

JCpackers04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
anyone nervous about Drivers injury? if i remember correctly he tried to play one week when he was hurt and was definitely not himself then proceeded to sit out a week to fully recover.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I'm not too concerned over Driver, I think he had a flash of pain, and Coach McCarthy said, "Driver rest up" I believe Driver would go out on the field no matter what injury at this point and it was better to have him recover than hurt. Even if he isn't 100% he is a throwing threat because he can catch the ball.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
What I wonder is now that as a team we are more healed than not, will our ST actually do a great job like versus Chicago at the NFC game, because I would love that.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
please DD no more fluke drops or freak ints due to balls hitting your foot? MMMk thanks.

JCpackers04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I wonder is now that as a team we are more healed than not, will our ST actually do a great job like versus Chicago at the NFC game, because I would love that.

Pitt's special teams are not very good, it should not be a problem area for once lol.

but that actually kind of makes me more nervous...

Members online

Latest posts