Official 2022 week 1 pregame thread vs Vikings

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Lazard being out is concerning to me. I wasn't super high on our WRs to begin with. Watson didn't get a lot of work in training camp and Cobb is just a possession guy. We really need Walkins to step up here. TEs don't look great either. We will have to rely on defense and ball possesion. Look for GB to run the football a lot and use Amari out of the backfield with jet sweeps and WR screens. I don't see a lot of big play potential out of this group. Maybe a guy like Doubs steps it up.

OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
My week out guess at the first three offensive plays: Jones between the tackles for 3, quick sideline RPO pass to Watkins for 5, miss on a deep out to Doubs.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MLF didn't play any starters in pre-season to get them in football shape and timing in order to avoid more injuries. He put the long-term needs of the team above getting the team as ready as possible to start the season. Game 1 is against a division foe but MFL didn't deviate from the 2021 protocol that resulted in a week 1 lopsided loss but worked out OK as the team won 13 games. If the Vikings game is so huge, then why did MFL stick to the 2021 protocol that resulted in a flat and rusty week 1 performance? The fans want to see the Packers treat this game as a huge deal, but MLF's decisions point to treating this game as merely the initial action for the starters.
So far it sounds like most people are not giving a chance that they will win.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Predictive Rodgers Line and other predictive thoughts:

34 Attempts
22 Completions
256 Yards
3 TDs (Watkins/Jones/Doubs)
1 INT

:) yup...I'm predicting things open up more through the air then we expect however it doesn't come the prettiest or cleanest.

The Vikings are too good offensively for our defense to control the entire game and I predict they'll put up at least 24 points against us...and I'll predict a 31-27 Win by the Packers.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I understand the reasoning behind not playing starters in meaningless preseason games I definitely want the Packers to do everything in their power to win at Minnesota on Sunday.

There's no reason to treat a game that counts in the standings like a preseason game, especially if there are only 17 in total to begin with.

The Vikings hardly played any of their starters this preseason as well. Rookie offensive lineman Ed Ingram played the most snaps with a total of 64, none other played more than 27 with most of their stars sitting out the entire preseason as well.
Doing everything in your power to win that game means getting the team adequately prepared. Were they adequately prepared for week 1 last year? Nope. Same preparation this year. Don't expect different results.

D

Deleted member 6794

Lazard being out is concerning to me.

Just for the record, Lazard hasn't been declared out for the game on Sunday at this point.

Doing everything in your power to win that game means getting the team adequately prepared. Were they adequately prepared for week 1 last year? Nope. Same preparation this year. Don't expect different results.

I'm quite sure MLF changed a lot of things to prepare the team for week 1 this season compared to last year. Just because the starters didn't play during the preseason doesn't mean there was no different approach. As a side note, the Vikings didn't play the majority of their starters in meaningless games either.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know what to expect, I'm not going to get too invested in the outcome one way or another. We're a team with high expectations, but some pretty big question marks on the offensive side of the ball in terms of Oline and WR and TE for that matter. Could be great, could be rather disjointed, and both could and will likely show up at various points in the season. One thing I do know, what we see this weekend won't be the team we see in December and January.

on the Flip side, MN has a pretty talented team as well. Where as we'll have some new stuff, they'll likely have a lot of new stuff. New FO, new coaches, new offense etc. All these likely unscouted looks and them being at home is a nice advantage. But i think after some early success they'll find yards a points a tough row to *** as the game goes on.

Krabs

Reaction score
on the Flip side, MN has a pretty talented team as well. Where as we'll have some new stuff, they'll likely have a lot of new stuff. New FO, new coaches, new offense etc. All these likely unscouted looks and them being at home is a nice advantage. But i think after some early success they'll find yards a points a tough row to *** as the game goes on.
Generally speaking, teams with new coaches often struggle getting used to a new system. The only teams I can think of that had immediate success were the Bucs and Gruden with an already built team and then MLF with Rodgers. I don't think MN is built to win a Super Bowl and will most likely go through growing pains in a new system.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
My prediction is both teams look inconsistent and disjointed offensively. Lower scoring as a result. Something like 19-16 going either way.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A very low scoring game will help the Packers. Considering they struggled to score 10 points vs SF and now they have the same offense minus Adams, disjointed is more likely than anything else. While there are rumors that Tonyan, Jenkins or even Bakhtiari may suit up, they are so rusty and not in football shape, that their contribution, if anything, will be limited. As long as special teams don't hand the game to the Vikings on a platter, my hope is that the defense can cause enough turnovers to keep the Packers in the game.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
A very low scoring game will help the Packers. Considering they struggled to score 10 points vs SF and now they have the same offense minus Adams, disjointed is more likely than anything else. While there are rumors that Tonyan, Jenkins or even Bakhtiari may suit up, they are so rusty and not in football shape, that their contribution, if anything, will be limited. As long as special teams don't hand the game to the Vikings on a platter, my hope is that the defense can cause enough turnovers to keep the Packers in the game.
I will be VERY interested in seeing how the special teams perform under their new coach.

D

Deleted member 6794

Allen Lazard didn't practice today. Full injury report will be released later.

OkieCheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Z sure is salty. Hope the o-line puts him on his back this Sunday.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He wanted to stay here, and they cut him. I don't think it gets any deeper than that. He feels like he gave this team his all and when they could cut bait they did. I don't blame him, and I don't blame GB. He was expensive for what he was doing, coming off an injury, and our defense was better without him being a liability in the run game. So they made the decision to let him go. it was the right one IMO.

But he didn't just take while he was here, he gave a lot so he felt a bit slighted to be cut.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup, he was even posted on his socials he wanted to sign a deal to end his career here...GB for sure didn't want to ink such a deal with his medical issues in the moment and ascending Gary play.....I just think he is a guy that loves hard and hates hard.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lazard injury:

His injury is a result of being stepped on last week...tells me leg or hand issue I bet for likelihood of impact.

Krabs

Reaction score
Z sure is salty. Hope the o-line puts him on his back this Sunday.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Yeah, you give a guy life changing money and he dogs you on the way out the door.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
He wanted to stay here, and they cut him. I don't think it gets any deeper than that. He feels like he gave this team his all and when they could cut bait they did. I don't blame him, and I don't blame GB. He was expensive for what he was doing, coming off an injury, and our defense was better without him being a liability in the run game. So they made the decision to let him go. it was the right one IMO.

But he didn't just take while he was here, he gave a lot so he felt a bit slighted to be cut.
Well if that is what constitutes "bad treatment" his agent needs to explain to him the business end of the NFL because he's not smart enough to figure it out on his own. Lacing his invective response with multiple profanities doesn't make him look very intelligent as well and raised red flags of suspicion for me.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess Z wanted to go to Minnehaha to play The Pack twice a year. I think they probably offered him more money. Anyway, we'll see if he can play in both games. I was always worried about him physically (mainly back but it seemed like he took himself out of a lot of games). And that was why I was not for giving him more money and time. He made some great plays though.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well if that is what constitutes "bad treatment" his agent needs to explain to him the business end of the NFL because he's not smart enough to figure it out on his own. Lacing his invective response with multiple profanities doesn't make him look very intelligent as well and raised red flags of suspicion for me.
I think he's still salty about them converting some of his money at the beginning of last year that kind of signaled the beginning of the end too.
But yes, I agree, it wasn't too bad

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watson going deep. I think he will be our deep guy. More than Doubs. Nice to have two that can get there though.

Members online