Nfccg duds

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Arians massively outcoached MLF today. I was praying they would punt before half but told my buddies I didn't think they had anything to lose by going for it and after a timeout Arians thought better of it too. Turned out, they had 7 points to gain.

Passing the ball on 1st and 10 with 2:02 was also brilliant because the 2 minute warning will hit after the play regardless of the play outcome and our defense was unsurprisingly anticipating run and not ready.

Trusting Mike Pettine's defense to make a stop with everything at stake over trusting Aaron Rodgers to get 8 yards on one play and then a 2 was an egregiously terrible move. At that point I don't think many people realistically thought we'd get another chance and even if we did we still needed a TD. Just a horrible, horrible move.

The playcalling sucked and it's yet another NFCCG that we looked ill prepared for and fell down by 17+. The comeback was commendable but unfortunately the hole was too big.

MLF is obviously quite safe but he's well on his way to establishing a Marty Schottenheimer type reputation of being a guy who rides great regular seasons and then gets outcoached when the stakes are highest.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MLF is obviously quite safe but he's well on his way to establishing a Marty Schottenheimer type reputation of being a guy who rides great regular seasons and then gets outcoached when the stakes are highest.

Ouch that is dangerously close to being true.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. MLF going for 2 turned out to be bad. MLF called a terrible game. TB did the same thing, they did in Oct. Just like last year MLF made no adjustments.

Well, that fail was more on ESB than anyone else.

But going for 3 when down 8 is useless, especially if you're trusting Pettine's defense to make em go 3 and out.

He should have gone for the onside kick if he was going to kick the fg.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Arians massively outcoached MLF today. I was praying they would punt before half but told my buddies I didn't think they had anything to lose by going for it and after a timeout Arians thought better of it too. Turned out, they had 7 points to gain.

Passing the ball on 1st and 10 with 2:02 was also brilliant because the 2 minute warning will hit after the play regardless of the play outcome and our defense was unsurprisingly anticipating run and not ready.

Trusting Mike Pettine's defense to make a stop with everything at stake over trusting Aaron Rodgers to get 8 yards on one play and then a 2 was an egregiously terrible move. At that point I don't think many people realistically thought we'd get another chance and even if we did we still needed a TD. Just a horrible, horrible move.

The playcalling sucked and it's yet another NFCCG that we looked ill prepared for and fell down by 17+. The comeback was commendable but unfortunately the hole was too big.

I'm not buyin the outcoached bit. We couldn't run the ball. and our Tackles couldn't stand in the way half the plays. You call a gameplan. The only reason Turner and Wagner are remotely servicable and a part of the "best oline" in football was because the scheme helps them tremendously. When you can't run, you can't help them and it showed today. what better call you gonna make?

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not buyin the outcoached bit. We couldn't run the ball. and our Tackles couldn't stand in the way half the plays. You call a gameplan. The only reason Turner and Wagner are remotely servicable and a part of the "best oline" in football was because the scheme helps them tremendously. When you can't run, you can't help them and it showed today. what better call you gonna make?

I actually thought of the 3 options to replace Bakhtiari Turner was 2 out of 3. The best would've been to move Jenkins out and slide Runyan in at LG.

jhawk008

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I"ll have to watch Rodgers press conference. During MLF's press conference they were saying Rodgers sounded like he's had enough of this crap.

Lots of talk on twitter from people that listened to it saying the same. That Rodgers basically is throwing his own status with the team as "UNCERTAIN"

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The other team's players get paid too. You can't just say "score every time and win."

The calls were absolutely the difference.

The Bucs held Lazard, got a pick, scored a touchdown.

The Bucs held Lazard, got a punt, scored a field goal.

The Bucs held Adams on 3rd and Goal and forced a FG.

The Packers held Johnson on 3rd down and it was called and it ended the game. Without that call, the Packers have the ball, down five, with about 1:30 left.

So yes-- it was the calls.

Bucs throw to Gronktard on third down, Kirksey in position for tackle, Jensen shoves him right in the back, springing Gronktard for first down.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And even if Lazard didn't get held, the pass was so far behind Lazard that it would have been picked anyway.

What's your point? The INT should not have counted and it should have been a first down. Are you saying because the ball was thrown behind the defense should be allowed to interfere?

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The late PI call on King was absolutely terrible, but the Packers going for the FG rather than for the TD inside the 10, plus 2 Jaire Alexander INTs that the offense did nothing with in the 4th ****ing quarter? That is bad, pure and simple. Packers had every chance to win this and when push came to shove they could not.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You forget that we had a very good season. Can't imagine ARod wanting to leave. We have some thinking to do about contracts but we also have a draft and The Gute has done pretty well in drafts so far. imo

This is meaningless. Save for 2017 and 2018, we always have a "very good season". If Rodgers was 25 and we were a young team on the rise, then sure, great season and go get 'em next year, but it's the same song and dance we've seen the last 10 years. Rodgers isn't here to have our ceiling be losing the conference championship every year.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So ... I would not give the refs the lion's share of the blame

Mike Pettine royally ****ed up before the half there and in the game in general ...

And LaFleur made a bad decision to kick the fg there after his defense had struggled a lot during the game.

But I have to agree that the refs do deserve about 25% of the blame because the Bucs corners were getting away with the same thing King did at the end. If you're going to make that call, at least be consistent about it.

Buccs corners were way worse in terms of grabbing.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Did you see the amount of 5 wide we were running today when Wagner had been an absolute turnstile and clearly needed some help? That's adjustments (or lack thereof). That's coaching. That would have been a good place to start to chip with a TE.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers unfortunately gets a heft of the blame here. I get the oline wasn't great and whatnot, but not being able to convert on those 2 interceptions and going 3 and out, that is unacceptable. And if we're being honest Rodgers probably could've easily ran the ball in for the TD, and he missed a wide open Lazard earlier in the game. He's not the reason we lost, and that int was more on the refs if anything, but damn... This feels like 2014 all over again.

My beef with Rodgers is an old criticism, he's not a great situational quarterback. We lose a yard on 1st down deep on our side of the field setting up second and 11, you need decent positive yards there and instead Rodgers throws a low percentage throw to MVS admittedly in single coverage outside, incompletion setting up 3rd and 11 and a punt. He's not always hip to what needs to get done.