Muhammad Wilkerson????

FaninColorado

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Had some issues in New York, but a huge talent that would make our defensive line better. Would cost a large chunk of our cap space, but with him being cut today, he could be a positive boost on the field. Just not sure about the negative side in the locker room. Thoughts????

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would take a look for sure. Daniels, Clark, Wilk would be nasty.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doesn't it seem like the supremely talented players who become available lately all have baggage enough to give you serious pause?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doesn't it seem like the supremely talented players who become available lately all have baggage enough to give you serious pause?
Thats why they are available. The guy can certainly play and would definitely try him out. Can always cut him in a year so backend the money. Should be able to behave himself for at least one season.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Mo comes to us I call Super Bowl.

All Gute has to do is not stink the Draft up.

Players with baggage tend to act right when they leave a crappy team and join a SB Contender.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't guarantee much. Incentive rich, prove it deal maybe...but this guy turned out to be a real turd after his big contract...

Reaction score
The Jets just paid 9M just to cut him (read between the lines there). They know his situation better than we do. To top that we do know he’s been injury prone, on the downslope and now he’s approaching his twilight years. We don’t have that kinda $ to blow on our D line. We recently invested in Big Mike, we also threw a 1st and 3rd round pick at D line in the last 2 drafts. Unless Pettine knows him from his NY days and can steal him on the cheap and he fits some sort of specific objective (doubtful) this isn’t a smart move IMO

Last edited:

Jed12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Jets just paid 9M just to cut him (read between the lines there). They know his situation better than we do. To top that we do know he’s been injury prone, on the downslope and now he’s approaching his twilight years. We don’t have that kinda $ to blow on our D line. We recently invested in Big Mike, we also threw a 1st and 3rd round pick at D line in the last 2 drafts. Unless Pettine knows him from his NY days and can steal him on the cheap and he fits some sort of specific objective (doubtful) this isn’t a smart move IMO

I couldn’t agree more. He sounds like trouble waiting to happen somewhere else.... didn’t get get a 5 year 86 million deal not too long ago? And basically threw it back in the Jets face.... great talent but major character issues and the Jets need players not a clear out absorbing big cap hits

D

Deleted member 6794

Had some issues in New York, but a huge talent that would make our defensive line better. Would cost a large chunk of our cap space, but with him being cut today, he could be a positive boost on the field. Just not sure about the negative side in the locker room. Thoughts????

Wilkerson is definitely an elite talent but lately hasn't performed up to potential for whatever reason. With the defensive line being a strength for the Packers and the team having limited cap space Gutekunst should pass on him.

The Jets just paid 9M just to cut him (read between the lines there). They know his situation better than we do. To top that we do know he’s been injury prone, on the downslope and now he’s approaching his twilight years.

To be fair, Wilkerson isn't injury prone as he has missed a total of only seven games during his NFL career.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reading up on him it sounds like he retired about 20 mins after depositing the $37M he got from the Jets. He just never told the Jets. I guess I would talk to him and see if he wants to play football, but now I am thinking he has to show he is in pretty good shape and it's going to be a very small signing bonus.

Doubt he would go for the small amount he is worth.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Reading up on him it sounds like he retired about 20 mins after depositing the $37M he got from the Jets.

Seems to happen to more players as salaries and guarantees have flown off the charts. I don't ever see it changing, but too many guys are getting paid for what they did, not what they end up actually doing. No wonder TT laid awake at night, afraid to participate in the high end of the FA market. :eek:

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All else aside that would prob be the best 3-4 line in the league... but we already have a good one so spend the money elsewhere like burton or fuller my top two choice so far

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All else aside that would prob be the best 3-4 line in the league... but we already have a good one so spend the money elsewhere like burton or fuller my top two choice so far
If it was Wilkerson of 4 years ago, then yes. As of last season, Lowry is a better player.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems to happen to more players as salaries and guarantees have flown off the charts. I don't ever see it changing, but too many guys are getting paid for what they did, not what they end up actually doing. No wonder TT laid awake at night, afraid to participate in the high end of the FA market. :eek:
I am fairly certain that if a competitor hired me away from my current job with a $24,000,000 signing bonus, I wouldn't stress out about being on time. I would suddenly see work and study as getting in the way of me enjoying my new life.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I am fairly certain that if a competitor hired me away from my current job with a $24,000,000 signing bonus, I wouldn't stress out about being on time. I would suddenly see work and study as getting in the way of me enjoying my new life.

Yup...guaranteed money can have that effect. Hard to fault someone, that all of a sudden has a portfolio with 8 digits (not including cents), to say to themselves "My family, friends and relatives are set-up for life, time to coast a bit and make sure I am around to enjoy it."

Reaction score
Hell You give me that much $ and I’m outta there! ;) (No Offense I like you guys but... screw Football!)

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hard no from me. He's a turd. Football is not a sport where you can be successful while half-assing it.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too much cost for too much risk. I'd pass.

I'm betting he isn't gonna cost that much, mainly because he's not been good in the Jets lockeroom, and he had a down season in 2017. If he sits on the market I'd be cool with Gute offering him a similar deal to what Ahmad Brooks got last season. Excluding 2 outlier season in which he had 12 and 10.5 sacks. He's been a 5 sack a year guy. Which would look really good next to Daniels 5 sacks a year and Clark's 5 sacks a year. A change of scenery and reunion with Pettine might be just what he needs to resurect his career and earn himself a bunch of money in 2019. At the right price he's a piece that could really change the defense he could be this defenses johhny jolly bringing a nasty attitude to the defense

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hard no from me. He's a turd. Football is not a sport where you can be successful while half-assing it.
My normal reaction. The reason this maybe different is Pettine's relationship with Wilkerson. If the Pack goes after him it's a situation where you have to trust the Pack knowng they have more inside info than most other teams as well as a better chance to draw out his skills.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm betting he isn't gonna cost that much, mainly because he's not been good in the Jets lockeroom, and he had a down season in 2017. If he sits on the market I'd be cool with Gute offering him a similar deal to what Ahmad Brooks got last season. Excluding 2 outlier season in which he had 12 and 10.5 sacks. He's been a 5 sack a year guy. Which would look really good next to Daniels 5 sacks a year and Clark's 5 sacks a year. A change of scenery and reunion with Pettine might be just what he needs to resurect his career and earn himself a bunch of money in 2019. At the right price he's a piece that could really change the defense he could be this defenses johhny jolly bringing a nasty attitude to the defense

You've laid out the pros. I don't know that he'd come that cheap. I guess this decision will be made in a sitdown between MM and Pettine.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If it was Wilkerson of 4 years ago, then yes. As of last season, Lowry is a better player.

Lowry is better? That's not true although I do like Lowry. Wilkinson still had 46 tackles, 3.5 sacks, 1 int, 4 passes defensed in 2017 in just 13 games. Lowry had 32 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 pd, and 1 fumble recovery returned for a td in 16 games.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lowry is better? That's not true although I do like Lowry. Wilkinson still had 46 tackles, 3.5 sacks, 1 int, 4 passes defensed in 2017 in just 13 games. Lowry had 32 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 pd, and 1 fumble recovery returned for a td in 16 games.
True. I was thinking more of going forward. Lowry is on the rise as a player and Wilkinson is on decline. Rather have a young player getting better than an older player going soft.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I can agree with that. I'd rather have Lowry at his salary. Really I'd only be cool with them adding Wilkinson on a cheap one year deal if he sits on the market. He'd give the team a really strong 5 man rotation. Clark, Daniels, Lowry, Wilkinson, and Adams whose development over the off season could see him become a nice contributor he's got all the physical tools