Monday night Football v Falcons official thread

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
This thread should be called, "The official will the Packers cover the spread this Monday" thread.
This thread should actually be called "How badly will Packer Fans overestimate the ability of their team's defense to play consistently."

A Jekyll and Hyde group if ever there was one. Certain teams, some of them not even close to elite just present too many match-up problems for this unit.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That Atlanta offense is better than people realize. I dont we gave them enough credit.

Our defense def decided to take the 2nd half off and mail it in. Disappointed in Shields and Peppers performance among several others. Props to starks tonight.

Maybe this will put them on notice to not do this crap again.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can't be dominant every game so I don't get why anyone would all of the sudden crush the D? They played real good ball for a month and one crap performance and they are up and down now? The Seahawks had some bad games earlier this season too. Hell, I can't think of a team that never lays an egg once in a while. We won the game so I'm going to give the guys the benefit of the doubt and assume far better performances are ahead. The game was certainly not pretty (well defensively that is) but it was a victory in December and I for one will take it. GPG!

Side note: If 12 doesn't win MVP they need to quit handing that bad boy out. Man is possessed.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can Rodgers play defense? Doesn't seem like the rest of the team can. It's time for the Packers to play Datone Jones more and Peppers less. Peppers is MIA. Maybe he has hit the wall and the Packers need to see if Datone can play or is a bust. Packers are getting nothing up the middle in terms of a pass rush. Opposing qb's just step up into the pocket and are totally comfortable

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wh
You can't be dominant every game so I don't get why anyone would all of the sudden crush the D? They played real good ball for a month and one crap performance and they are up and down now? The Seahawks had some bad games earlier this season too. Hell, I can't think of a team that never lays an egg once in a while. We won the game so I'm going to give the guys the benefit of the doubt and assume far better performances are ahead. The game was certainly not pretty (well defensively that is) but it was a victory in December and I for one will take it. GPG!

Side note: If 12 doesn't win MVP they need to quit handing that bad boy out. Man is possessed.
when the Seahawks have a bad game they give up 24-27 pts. When the Packers defense crumbles they give up 35-48 pts. That's a big difference. WhileRodgers can bail out the defense against patsies like the Falcons, when the defense gets blasted for 40 against a quality team in the playoffs it will be one and done again.

E. Wolf

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem is the defense has developed the habit of just coasting after being up three scores or mroe at half. That needs to stop, they need to play four quarters all the time, every time, and give a damn about points allowed.
Hopefulyl this is a wakeup call.

H

HardRightEdge

The problem is the defense has developed the habit of just coasting after being up three scores or mroe at half. That needs to stop, they need to play four quarters all the time, every time, and give a damn about points allowed.
Hopefulyl this is a wakeup call.
One would have hoped last week was a wake up call, getting beat up in the red zone and nearly backing into a loss.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If after lasts weeks game you weren't saying we're going to win it all, you shouldn't after this game saying we will be one and done.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
This thread should actually be called "How badly will Packer Fans overestimate the ability of their team's defense to play consistently."

A Jekyll and Hyde group if ever there was one. Certain teams, some of them not even close to elite just present too many match-up problems for this unit.

I'm sure everyone is going to go on and on about the defense and fire Capers and our defense stinks all week. It's total over reaction IMO. Obviously they underwhelmed in the second half and had a let down but one bad performance in the second half doesn't make them Jeckyll and Hyde after the last month of play.

I'm not going to hype the Falcons too much but they are a capable offense if they give Ryan time. They do have pro bowl talent weapons.

In a month nobody will remember anything about this game other then we won. Our secondary has been pretty solid all year so it might be a little premature to start selling them out as "jeckyll and Hyde" after a bad half. The Saints had some success on us through the air but who else has thrown the ball all over us? Sometimes a team just gets hot. I can only imagine what other teams fan boards say about there defense after they play us.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
So wrong again?

Well I didn't bet it if that's what your asking. I was saying that should be the question as I didn't believe we had any real chance of losing this game at home pointing more to how many would we win by as more of a realistic topic. I don't like giving up 13 points in any NFL game but if pushed to a prediction I would of said we beat em pretty handly. There are just to many things can happen to screw it up laying that many points. I think it's better sometimes to just take the heavy favorite in the first half for less as sometimes the losing team throws up garbage points while the team up just wants to run clock and it screws ya.

I don't like laying 13 points on any NFL game.

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
I'm sure everyone is going to go on and on about the defense and fire Capers and our defense stinks all week. It's total over reaction IMO. Obviously they underwhelmed in the second half and had a let down but one bad performance in the second half doesn't make them Jeckyll and Hyde after the last month of play.

No "Fire Capers" talk from me. He has been able to make useful adjustments this year to the nagging ILB issue because we are pretty healthy this year. (Of course it did take him quite some time to realize that Hawk is a liability)

But the D is not one you can have faith in. One week they can look great against the best team in the AFC. The next week an "also ran" from the NFC South can hang 37 on them.

Just sayin...
The Pack are without a doubt playoff material and on any given day can beat anyone, and I mean anyone.
The problem is, you just never can know which Defense will show.

I'll let others more knowledgeable than I talk about what the match-up problems are for this D that allow them to do great against a team like the Pats or the Eagles, then become a piece of Swiss cheese against a mediocre team from the NFC South.

Is it scheme or is it personnel?

Next week it's the Bills in their house after a short week.
They have a pretty stout defense over there and we may not be able to hang 43 on them.

Last edited:

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Next week it's the Bills in their house after a short week.
They have a pretty stout defense over there and we may not be able to hang 43 on them.

A pretty stout defense? The Bills' defense is a sacking machine. 3 of their players are in the top 10 in sacks and they are #1 overall in sacks, #5 in total defense.

This will be a real serious test for GB on the road. The Bills are a playoff team with one of the best defenses in the NFL.

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
A pretty stout defense? The Bills' defense is a sacking machine. 3 of their players are in the top 10 in sacks and they are #1 overall in sacks, #5 in total defense.

This will be a real serious test for GB on the road. The Bills are a playoff team with one of the best defenses in the NFL.

I try to avoid hyperbole. :D

I think we agree that last night's Defensive performance against Atlanta does not inspire confidence going into Buffalo.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The important thing is the win. Atlanta's struggles last year and this may have caused them to be underestimated. They are, after all, a team that was 3 points from going to the Super Bowl just two years ago; a week after the 49ers had run all over the Packers in a playoff. Their win over Arizona last week and big second half last night may signal a dangerous team waking up in time for a run into the playoffs. They may be 8-8 or 7-9 and still get in but they will get a wild card round home game. Remember a few years ago that a 7-9 NFC West winning Seattle team knocked out the defending Super Bowl champion Saints in a similar circumstance.

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
The important thing is the win. Atlanta's struggles last year and this may have caused them to be underestimated. They are, after all, a team that was 3 points from going to the Super Bowl just two years ago; a week after the 49ers had run all over the Packers in a playoff. Their win over Arizona last week and big second half last night may signal a dangerous team waking up in time for a run into the playoffs. They may be 8-8 or 7-9 and still get in but they will get a wild card round home game. Remember a few years ago that a 7-9 NFC West winning Seattle team knocked out the defending Super Bowl champion Saints in a similar circumstance.
You are correct. The most important thing is a win. Perhaps there was a bit of a "let off" after a very emotional win against the Pats. But the more I think about that, the more it doesn't make sense since they did fine in the first half.

Huge test for our O-Line Sunday in Buffalo.

I'm thinking MM keeps a Fullback or our best blocking TE handy to help stifle their pass rush.

Last edited:

MichiganSportsTalk

Lions fan for longer than I can remember
Reaction score
As a Lions fan, the worst part about last night was not that the Falcons lost after coming so close, it's that those bastards have now given us hope that the Lions have a chance in week 17.......

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
As a Lions fan, the worst part about last night was not that the Falcons lost after coming so close, it's that those bastards have now given us hope that the Lions have a chance in week 17.......
Well, as we have seen time and again for as long as any of us have been watching sports, anyone has a chance on any given Game Day.

The Lions had a couple of key injuries on the O line (Warford and someone else) but they are back now so it's a big deal for any team to have it's O line intact with starters.

I see on NFL.com that DT Fairley did not practice. What's the prognosis on him?