Monday night Football v Falcons official thread

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the Pack in this one 34-21. The Falcons defense is soft and slow not a good combination facing Rodgers and co. Both teams are coming off big wins and fighting for playoff berths so I don't expert either team to let down.

packer_brax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The falcons will bring their A game for sure knowing we owned them in the past, sorda like the 49ers owned us 4 times in a row. Our offense is going to do their thing regardless. Just hope the D is not sleep, cause julio is playing lights out. I honestly think we win the pack just seem like there in the zone. This will be a high scoring game. I'm calling game 48-16 go pack go. I think we just match up well with stationary QBs, we struggle with mobile ones of any sort

I agree on the stationery qbs being a better match up I also noticed in the first quarter of play against the pats linebacker Sam Barrington took the start over aj hawk in most of the nickel packages during his play I saw a quick mlb that shot the gaps to shut down the run I feel that we would match up against mobile qbs with a faster mlb I love aj hawk I bought his jersey first but this is what I see he's an all American player when it comes to heart he has more than the next guy and he would be an all time great packer if he played a decade ago but this a new era revolving around qbs and their mobility Colin kaepernick can not beat the pack with his arm but he can run by us and that's because our linebackers can't catch up and it's our dbs getting the tackles 10 yards down the field I love the pack and aj hawk I just want to see more of the experimental Sam Barrington in the mix in place of hawk especially to stop the run after Steven Jackson shredded up the cards defense for 101 yards

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You gotta love Falcons fans with a sense of humor:

"Thanks for the "best wishes" OP. The problem is we need more like "Divine Intervention" than "best wishes" to have a prayer of winning this game. Enjoy the game and the doubtless wonderful feelings of euphoria you're feeling as a fan of the team with the best QB in the NFL, the best team in the NFC and an early favorite to win your fifth SB title.

Just try to remember, one day Aaron Rodgers will retire, Mike McCarthy will get promoted and move on to become GM of some other franchise, Randall Cobb and Jordy Nelson will be retired and Clay Matthews will just be a fond memory. The glory of this year will fade into obscurity and, sooner or later, you will find yourself and your beloved Packers wallowing in the cesspool of epic failure at the bottom of the NFL. And when you find yourself there, ears-deep in the horrible stench of suckitude, look around and you'll see us Falcon fans, who will still be there at the bottom looking up at the rest of the world. Perhaps then we can exchange best wishes and maybe a low-five, but until then, please go away. Far, far away. Thank you."

"Score Touchdowns in the Redzone. Run the ball. Don't let Rodgers score 6TD's in the first half. Or the second."

"Rogers, Lacy and Nelson all get Ebola and spread it through the team."

"There are lots of scenarios for the Falcons beating the Packers, and all of them involved Aaron Rodgers missing the game for some reason."

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
Packers 38-24. Falcons have a potent offense, but their defense is about dead last.

Their D is ranked DEAD last, ours is ranked 25th. Our Offense is ranked a tad better on paper then theirs (9th vs 7th)

Passing Offense is a bit better than ours. (Hard to believe) 8th vs 6th

They are ranked 25th in Rushing Offense we are 19th.

They just won a big game against the Cards. They could be prone to an emotional letdown. It happens a lot after a huge win. Obviously that applies to the Packers as well!

Stats: NFL.com

Last edited:

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
will someone who knows the Falcons explain to me what went wrong with that team this year? They feel like the southern version of the Bears

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Their D is ranked DEAD last, ours is ranked 25th. Our Offense is ranked a tad better on paper then theirs (9th vs 7th)

They are ranked 25th in Rushing Offense we are 19th

rating defenses by yards is very misleading though. I mean that lands us 25th or something close to that, and that doesnt pass the smell test

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
rating defenses by yards is very misleading though. I mean that lands us 25th or something close to that, and that doesnt pass the smell test
If that is how they rank it, it's obviously not an in depth stat.

But on the other hand I've found that when those basic stats seem to work against one's team, the stat is criticized for that reason.

It's just a general stat that is worth something on the surface. If your team's D gives up 300 yards a game and the other team's D gives up 125, which team has the better Defense? Hard to argue the stat doesn't have some validity.

But I do agree that it is a very basic statistic.

Last edited:

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If that is how they rank it, it's obviously not an in depth stat.

But on the other hand I've found that when those basic stats seem to work against one's team, the stat is criticized for that reason.

It's just a general stat that is worth something on the surface. If your team's D gives up 300 yards a game and the other team's D gives up 125, which team has the better Defense? Hard to argue the stat doesn't have some validity.

429 and 475. Those are the yardages of a game the packers played this season. there was a 33 point difference in the score. So I hope you dont take yardage seriously. And no, thats not an anomaly, it seems to happen frequently

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
429 and 475. Those are the yardages of a game the packers played this season. there was a 33 point difference in the score. So I hope you dont take yardage seriously. And no, thats not an anomaly, it seems to happen frequently
point well taken.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Packers, knowing that their destiny rests in their own hands, come out very focused and takes charge of the game early. Offense scores first 5 possessions, Defense forces 2 or 3 punts and gets a turnover or 2. Flynn enters mid 3rd quarter and kills the clock.

Packers 38- Falcons 17

EVERY game is a potential trap game, but with NFC West beating-up on each other the home field advantage throughout the playoffs is a HUGE carrot dangling to keep the team focused.

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
will someone who knows the Falcons explain to me what went wrong with that team this year? They feel like the southern version of the Bears
I don't purport to know them, but did some reading and while this article is a month old, it seems to summarize most of what I have read:

http://atlanta.cbslocal.com/2014/10/21/2014-falcons-a-bad-sequel/
What’s the most alarming thing is that there is no solution for this team in 2014. The narrative has changed from “Can this team return to form in 2014?” to “How could the organization
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
miss the mark so horribly this past off-season in their attempt to fix the problems from last season?” They missed the mark at an impact running back. They missed the mark on defensive run stoppers. They added nothing at linebacker. The coaching staff hasn’t developed young talent. And players haven’t stepped up to fill in for the rash of injuries that seems to have overtaken this team again this year.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

They are ranked 25th in Rushing Offense we are 19th.

They just won a big game against the Cards. They could be prone to an emotional letdown. It happens a lot after a huge win. Obviously that applies to the Packers as well!

Those stats may be factual but I don't think they in any way represent the current teams and their current level of play. The last few games I swear I hear 3 to 4 times during the telecast how we are horrible at stopping the run yet there we are doing a pretty decent job of it. We are by no means a "run stuffing" defense but ever since Claymaker moved inside the running numbers are better and by a lot. On a quick side note it's funny how a lot of the "Clay is a bum" talk has subsided...huh?! ;) In the last four games (Bears, Eagles, Vikings and Pats) our defense has been run on 98 times allowing a total of 360 yards as a result. This breaks down to a 3.67 yards per carry average and that's pretty darn good considering the league leader is the Lions at 3.1 per carry. Damn that's a stout number for those boys in Detroit and I know I am only judging the last 4 games but that's the basis of my rant so bear with me. Also, after allowing five 14+ yard runs vs. Mark Ingram of all people in that Saints debacle we have not allowed a single rush over 13 yards since. This shows that we are not allowing all those chunk plays that are the equivalent to a kick in the stones. I know we have been up big in a few games but if anything you would think there would be bigger lanes to run through as we would be in more of a pass expectant defensive formation so there goes that argument against the numbers. Like I said I am not saying we are the Steel Curtain but we are playing a much better brand of run defense and so long as we can keep that up I love our secondaries chances of making some plays on the back end. The offensive rankings are trash in my eyes as to me all that matters come the final whistle is points. We are within .1 from being the top ranked scoring O in the league with a robust 31.7/game and a whopping 40.8/game when playing in the comfy confines of Lambeau. We are averaging over a TD more per game than the Falcons and they are averaging only 18.9 ppg in their road contests. I am not saying that stats are irrelevant simply that in my mind the king of all stats is points scored and we are pretty damn strong in that category! I have not seen a ton of ATL ball lately so I can't honestly speak on how high or low their current level of play is. They are coming off an impressive win vs. in my mind an overrated Cardinals team that is/was without the services of Carson Palmer as well as Larry Fitz. They have won 3 out of 4 and in reality should have beat the Lions but found a way to wet the bed late in that one. As I mentioned yesterday this is no team to take lightly and I don't believe the Pack will in any way do so. We have to keep winning and are absolutely balling out at home. I said it yesterday and I will say it again today...just show up. If we show up and play a clean game (this is always a must) and near our current level I just can't see ATL having enough to beat us. Should be fun and I am sure 12 and Co. will be ready to put on a good show for the country in prime time. I am also looking forward to Chucky slobbering all over AR and his freakish abilities! Is it Monday yet?!?! G P G!

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
Like someone said on here a bit ago, yards per game is a cute stat.

It can have meaning but it certainly does have its shortcomings.

But when we say "Detroit is #1 Defense" well that is based on yards allowed and nothing else. So we do refer to that stat and assign meaning to it without even thinking about it. Which by the way according to NFL.com they are not #1. It is now Seattle. :D Who by the way has the #1 Rushing attack and the #29th rated Passing attack. Go figure. :rolleyes:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
The Falcons might be able to keep it closer if it was at Atlanta. At Lambeau in very cold temperatures they have no chance unless we have a complete melt down. We win by at least 14.

Matt Ryan is another one of those guys who doesn't do well in colder environments.

Jdeed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the only way ATL keeps this game close is to run the ball well and chew up the clock and get some points when they have the ball. If they can do that it might be a lower scoring game and at the end they could open it up and possibly have a chance if things go their way.

If they try to have a shootout with the Packers they will get blown out by Half Time.

Pitbul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Falcons have no DB's that can cover Jordy. It's over the middle and deep all night for some big plays. I'm coming all the way from Virginia with my oldest grandson who finished his season at Virginia State University. It's his grad present and we can't wait to see Lambeau Field and the packers live for the first time at home.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Falcons have no DB's that can cover Jordy. It's over the middle and deep all night for some big plays. I'm coming all the way from Virginia with my oldest grandson who finished his season at Virginia State University. It's his grad present and we can't wait to see Lambeau Field and the packers live for the first time at home.
Welcome to the site and you sound like one Kick A grand-dad! Go Pack Go!

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Falcons did gain 500 yards and put up 29 points against the Cardinals defense, so it would be silly to take them lightly. I don't think that will happen being that this is a Monday Night game and the Packers will probably be pumped.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Falcons did gain 500 yards and put up 29 points against the Cardinals defense, so it would be silly to take them lightly. I don't think that will happen being that this is a Monday Night game and the Packers will probably be pumped.

Judging from Coach Mike's statement below I feel optimistic our boys will show up ready to take care of bidness! Love it...

"I think this is clearly our most consistent football team in my nine years here, just from the fact that the way they prepare, you don't have a bunch of personalities that go up and down. It's a very focused, disciplined group."

That right there pumps me up and Mike isn't known for handing out false flattery. I've been saying this team has a certain feel to it and the above helps reaffirm my thinking. Keep your noses to the grindstone boys and you just may be wearing some fresh new jewelry in a few months. G P G!

RustyShackleford

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Judging from Coach Mike's statement below I feel optimistic our boys will show up ready to take care of bidness! Love it...

"I think this is clearly our most consistent football team in my nine years here, just from the fact that the way they prepare, you don't have a bunch of personalities that go up and down. It's a very focused, disciplined group."

Seems to be a trend with MM. For years I don't remember him comparing different years but he's been on a tear lately.

At the end of last year he stated that the offense was the best of his time here. Seemed like a stretch considering how achingly bad the Packers were at converting red zone chances (even with Rodgers in there).

Then at the beginning of this year he stated that the team was the most prepared coming out of camp of any of his teams. Somewhere something went wrong, though, as the team came out flat to start the year.

Not sure what I think about his current comment. If he's referring to consistent play, that certainly hasn't been the case. I'm kinda assuming that he's referring to how they practice, prepare, interact etc.

Not sure why he's taking this approach but I will be interested in seeing if it continues.