Monday night Football v Falcons official thread

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I didn't say the Packers should get rid of Shields. I said if he wants to see the last couple years of his contract ($12.125M in 2016 and 2017 each), he needs to be playing at a reasonably high level. Not being benched in games for guys like Davon House.

I like Shields and can certainly just chalk it up to a bad game for now, but he needs to play better.

I'm also not going to criticize the Seahawks for a scheme that works. Like you said, our coverage only works with a pass rush. When you're getting none, you better adjust and get out of the single high safety with no help over the top on Jones. That's on Capers as he never adjusted last night. They never schemed to take Julio out of the game. They were going to let him beat us and they're lucky he didn't.

The Seahawks scheme works very well but does rely on getting pressure with just four guys up front meaning they hardly ever blitz. If they can get pressure on you with 4 then there gonna beat you. If they can't then a QB like Rodgers has the ability to pick there zone apart and look for favorable match ups.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Shields is our best "cover corner". I think he is actually a bit underrated and Patrick Peterson got undressed by the same connection of Ryan to Jones. Should the Cards get rid of him too?

This is where our corners get no love as they play mostly straight up man to man like the Cards do. If our pass rush doesn't disrupt with bringing guys there jobs become unbelievably difficult.

This is why I get so upset at times when people hype up the Seahawks secondary so much as there corners play a "deep cover 3" over 90 percent of the time. I would love too of seen Richard Sherman try to man up on Julio Jones straight up last night.

Other teams than the Seahawks are allowed to play zone coverage as well. I don´t see any reason to criticize a team´s scheme as long as it´s working.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Other teams than the Seahawks are allowed to play zone coverage as well. I don´t see any reason to criticize a team´s scheme as long as it´s working.

I don't have a problem with there scheme. I just like "cover corners" and IMO it has become kind of a lost art in Today's NFL.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.espnwisconsin.com/common/page.php?feed=2&id=18111&is_corp=1

GREEN BAY – Julius Peppers was beginning to get angry. Maybe not angry. Maybe just annoyed. Nevertheless, the big fella was not pleased, and he wanted to clarify one thing to the crowd surrounding his locker late Monday night.

The Green Bay Packers did, in fact, win.

“We’re not going to go out and shut teams down every game. You know? You’re not going to play your best every game. It’s just not going to happen. You’re not going to shut teams down every game. So we’re happy with the win. There’s obviously things we can get better on and correct. And we’re going to do that.”

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I know what Peppers is saying and in today's NFL, there are not many teams that look amazing for 16 straight weeks. Having said that, it was the fact that they appeared to do nothing at all to even slow Jones that I have a problem with.

My Lord, at some point I'm putting 4 guys on him just to force the ball to go someplace else! The problem I have with Capers is that his teams continually have these record setting games! (and not the good kind of records) It really appears that he's horrible at in-game adjustments if we look at these types of games and results.

grampi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know what Peppers is saying and in today's NFL, there are not many teams that look amazing for 16 straight weeks. Having said that, it was the fact that they appeared to do nothing at all to even slow Jones that I have a problem with.

My Lord, at some point I'm putting 4 guys on him just to force the ball to go someplace else! The problem I have with Capers is that his teams continually have these record setting games! (and not the good kind of records) It really appears that he's horrible at in-game adjustments if we look at these types of games and results.

I guess what I don't understand is why Capers would change the defensive schemes at all for the 2nd half. What they were doing in the first half was obviously working as they held the Falcons to just 7 points. If your opponent's halftime adjustments work and they are now moving the ball and scoring, THEN you change up the defensive play calling...you never go away from something if it's working, never...

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess what I don't understand is why Capers would change the defensive schemes at all for the 2nd half. What they were doing in the first half was obviously working as they held the Falcons to just 7 points. If your opponent's halftime adjustments work and they are now moving the ball and scoring, THEN you change up the defensive play calling...you never go away from something if it's working, never...

I agree. ...but regardless of how what when or why...when Jones starting gashing us for more yards quicker than a Kardashian loses cloths, something needs to be done. It looked to me like they were allowing him an easy release and all the room he wanted to work. I'm a realist when it comes to pass defense. Sometimes the coverage isn't horrible it's just that a QB makes a play. That was not the case for most of the second half. Jones had way too much room.

grampi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. ...but regardless of how what when or why...when Jones starting gashing us for more yards quicker than a Kardashian loses cloths, something needs to be done. It looked to me like they were allowing him an easy release and all the room he wanted to work. I'm a realist when it comes to pass defense. Sometimes the coverage isn't horrible it's just that a QB makes a play. That was not the case for most of the second half. Jones had way too much room.

If your corners need THAT much of a cushion, then you need better corners...

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Imo, the reason we got gashed so bad in the second half was because Ryan was able to throw when he wanted and with clear passing lanes. Most NFL QB's are going to hurt you if you allow those two things. It just exacerbates the problem when he's throwing to an elite level receiver like Jones. The rules favor this outcome. The d-line mailed In the 2nd half imo.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Imo, the reason we got gashed so bad in the second half was because Ryan was able to throw when he wanted and with clear passing lanes. Most NFL QB's are going to hurt you if you allow those two things. It just exacerbates the problem when he's throwing to an elite level receiver like Jones. The rules favor this outcome. The d-line mailed In the 2nd half imo.

I think he was getting the ball out faster than we could even get near him. I think it was a matter if knocking Jones off his routes and that just never happened.

Latest posts