Mississippi two step/Simple decision

Devil_Doc

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Devil_Doc said:
tromadz said:
Devil_Doc said:
I truly believe that both sides are to blame in this situation.

TT and the rest of his management, who made Brett "feel" like he wasn't welcome back, and was pretty much showing him the door.

I want to know how they did that. The only source that says this is Bonita Favre, and she said she only "senses" it. A mom senses people are picking on her boy? Stop the presses!

The key argument people make for TT hating Favre is lack of getting him weapons(moss,etc), yet...we just went deep into the playoffs(one play away) without Moss and going the OPPOSITE route of bringing in the big names. If that route wasn't working, I'd definitely see their point, but...no. This way is working. Very well.

So I'm not seeing TT not making Brett feel welcome. They have TOLD him they wanted him back(according to them, their words).

So unless someone has anything other than Mrs. Favre's "senses," there's nothing there.

I'm only going off of what I've heard, and that was one of them. I knew McCarthy wanted him to come back, but I didn't think TT was part of that conversation.

good question, my man.

Ted Thompson:

Brett's a professional football player, one of the finest if not the finest that I've ever seen. He wants to know a couple of things. Do you still want me, and can I still play? Obviously both Mike and I were very positive in that regard and said definitely we do.

I appreciate the link Trom.....but even you have heard that actions speak louder than words. :-?

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
As great as Favre was, I don't want him back. For the past three seasons, his performance has declined toward the end of the year. Of course, some of that is due to colder weather, when everybody's passing stats go down, but not all of it. Favre has been getting worn out by the end of every season, which is why he's been struggling with the retirement decision. He just doesn't feel like he has any energy left by the time the season is over. And he's right. He doesn't.

So now he's finally decided to retire, and the team is moving on without him. Is Rodgers an unknown quantity? Certainly. But so is Favre when it gets late in the season. Time to move on. Actually, it is PAST time to move on. It's already happened, like it or not.

Wow. I usually agree with you, Greg, but have to disagree here.

If Favre wants back, you welcome him back, and make it clear he has to beat out Mr. Rodgers for that #1 spot. If he does, Rodgers goes back to #2. If he doesn't, Favre is our backup and Brohm falls to #3.

A good situation for the Packers as a team. Imagine having what we had last year. Favre had an almost MVP season last year, remember? He was MVP runner-up.

I disagree he got worn out towards the end of the season. He lit up Seattle. Lit them up. Remember that almost fall down completion? Remember how we were down 14 points early in the 1st quarter, then completely dominated them from then on?

The Giants beat us. They beat us far and square, and I'm not blaming anyone on the Packers, but giving them the credit for playing a heck of a game. Favre was good in the Playoffs, we just got beaten. OK, so he threw a bad pass in the end to Driver. That's because Driver was by far the best player on the Packers that day. I would have thrown to Driver too.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Devil_Doc said:
Devil_Doc said:
tromadz said:
Devil_Doc said:

TT and the rest of his management, who made Brett "feel" like he wasn't welcome back, and was pretty much showing him the door.

I want to know how they did that. The only source that says this is Bonita Favre, and she said she only "senses" it. A mom senses people are picking on her boy? Stop the presses!

The key argument people make for TT hating Favre is lack of getting him weapons(moss,etc), yet...we just went deep into the playoffs(one play away) without Moss and going the OPPOSITE route of bringing in the big names. If that route wasn't working, I'd definitely see their point, but...no. This way is working. Very well.

So I'm not seeing TT not making Brett feel welcome. They have TOLD him they wanted him back(according to them, their words).

So unless someone has anything other than Mrs. Favre's "senses," there's nothing there.

I'm only going off of what I've heard, and that was one of them. I knew McCarthy wanted him to come back, but I didn't think TT was part of that conversation.

good question, my man.

Ted Thompson:

Brett's a professional football player, one of the finest if not the finest that I've ever seen. He wants to know a couple of things. Do you still want me, and can I still play? Obviously both Mike and I were very positive in that regard and said definitely we do.

I appreciate the link Trom.....but even you have heard that actions speak louder than words. :-?

So can I put you in the ball-gargling camp?

What actions were coaches\management supposed to take? The actions they DID take got us one play away from the superbowl. And some say the team this year is even better(I say that).

Devil_Doc

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Devil_Doc said:
tromadz said:
Devil_Doc said:
tromadz said:
Devil_Doc said:

good question, my man.

Ted Thompson:

So can I put you in the ball-gargling camp?

What actions were coaches\management supposed to take? The actions they DID take got us one play away from the superbowl. And some say the team this year is even better(I say that).

I'm so on the fence of this return crap its rediculous. However, how he went, I guess is a mute point, doesn't matter. He left, he was gone, the Packers moved on, he didn't.

dd80forever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dd80, the "creating competition" argument you blast Tromadz for is way off base.

A guy like Brandon Chillar is brought in to push and possibly overtake an established starter. If it does not work out, there is no significant financial and/or emotional loss.

Favre, being one of, if not the greatest Packer in the history of the team, is not brought back to "compete". He is brought back to start and lead the team, at great financial cost to the team (which thankfully we can afford due to TT's financial discipline), but at great emotional cost. Doing so turns this team, and the direction they have plotted AFTER BRETT CHOSE TO RETIRE, completely upside down. Very different scenario.

Seems kinda obvious there is a difference there.

Can I ask you something serious, dd80? Are you a younger person which might make Brett the only QB you have seen on the field for the Packers?

Are you serious? I am 37 years old, was around long before Brett was our QB. I remember ****ey, Wright, Majik, etc.

It has nothing to do with Favre first or whatever. It has everything to do with Brett gives this team the best chance to win TODAY, RIGHT NOW. If Brett wants to come back then let A-Rod beat him out. Why wouldn't you want the best player on the field that you could possibly have? A-Rod has not earned a damn thing.If my 89 year old Grandfather can play better, bring him in.

It has nothing to do with the future either, why even play if you are building a Championshiop team for 2012. Cut Tauscher, Cliffy, DD, Etc right now then. Tell thim your plans are for 2024 not this year. Don't sell tickets to fans who expect you to field a team capable of winning it all. THE BEST PLAYERS PLAY, welcome to the NFL.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
dd80, the "creating competition" argument you blast Tromadz for is way off base.

A guy like Brandon Chillar is brought in to push and possibly overtake an established starter. If it does not work out, there is no significant financial and/or emotional loss.

Favre, being one of, if not the greatest Packer in the history of the team, is not brought back to "compete". He is brought back to start and lead the team, at great financial cost to the team (which thankfully we can afford due to TT's financial discipline), but at great emotional cost. Doing so turns this team, and the direction they have plotted AFTER BRETT CHOSE TO RETIRE, completely upside down. Very different scenario.

Seems kinda obvious there is a difference there.

Can I ask you something serious, dd80? Are you a younger person which might make Brett the only QB you have seen on the field for the Packers?

Are you serious? I am 37 years old, was around long before Brett was our QB. I remember ****ey, Wright, Majik, etc.

It has nothing to do with Favre first or whatever. It has everything to do with Brett gives this team the best chance to win TODAY, RIGHT NOW. If Brett wants to come back then let A-Rod beat him out. Why wouldn't you want the best player on the field that you could possibly have? A-Rod has not earned a damn thing.If my 89 year old Grandfather can play better, bring him in.

It has nothing to do with the future either, why even play if you are building a Championshiop team for 2012. Cut Tauscher, Cliffy, DD, Etc right now then. Tell thim your plans are for 2024 not this year. Don't sell tickets to fans who expect you to field a team capable of winning it all. THE BEST PLAYERS PLAY, welcome to the NFL.

the Green Bay Packers plan is to win the Super Bowl next year with Aaron Rodgers. not 2012... I don't even know where that date comes from.

Ted Thompson has built this team to succeed long after Favre leaves. and Aaron busting his *** the last 3 years on the bench is supposed to give us the most seamless transition we could ask for. not so much any more though.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey, dd80...asked a question. And don't feel compelled to hit me with that "Favre First" crap. Never passed my lips, of spawned from my clumsy fingers on a keyboard. I simply asked a question of someone whom I have been having a little give and take about the situation so that I might gain a little perspective.

Better to ask than assume, don't you agree?

You know, from reading this days posts, I think many of the posters you are having issue with would like to have Favre back, but also understand, and articulate, that he has put this team in a very precarious state with his decisions. The biggest problem I have is his family and agent are piping up and casting aspersions on the team....TT in particular....when it looks like they are innocent bystanders in this particular situation. I think it would be nice, and appropriate, if Brett would man up, tell them to shut the **** up, and make a statement IMMEDIATELY to the team as to his inclinations.

Really, is that too much to ask? This scenario has been created entirely by the people around Favre....he should take a little responsibility for it/them. And should he decide to return, you would have to expect that Rodgers will be gone when his contract is up. There are ramifications beyond this year in play.

And, by the way, Sherman played for "this year", while pissing away the future. Not a process I would like to see repeated...but which is probably destined if Favre returns to some extent.

johnny_blood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sherman was an incompetent GM who would have been as bad playing for the future as playing for "this year". The problem there was much deeper.

We were a hair from the Super Bowl so if our best QB wants to play, I am happy with it. Thompson's draft strategy has always been to stock the roster for long-term competitiveness, Favre playing another year doesn't change that.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed, but that is why I added to "some extent" when referencing the comparison.

Just a ****** situation all the way around.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
johnny_blood said:
Sherman was an incompetent GM who would have been as bad playing for the future as playing for "this year". The problem there was much deeper.

We were a hair from the Super Bowl so if our best QB wants to play, I am happy with it. Thompson's draft strategy has always been to stock the roster for long-term competitiveness, Favre playing another year doesn't change that.

Yes. It doesn't change that. Favre playing still means we have 2 good young QBs (assuming Brohm turns out to be good).

Favre coming back in no way affects our roster badly.

I do not see what the fuss is about. Everything looks good to me in Packerland.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
johnny_blood said:

Yes. It doesn't change that. Favre playing still means we have 2 good young QBs (assuming Brohm turns out to be good).

Favre coming back in no way affects our roster badly.

I do not see what the fuss is about. Everything looks good to me in Packerland.

really?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts