Mississippi two step/Simple decision

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
As great as Favre was, I don't want him back. For the past three seasons, his performance has declined toward the end of the year. Of course, some of that is due to colder weather, when everybody's passing stats go down, but not all of it. Favre has been getting worn out by the end of every season, which is why he's been struggling with the retirement decision. He just doesn't feel like he has any energy left by the time the season is over. And he's right. He doesn't.

So now he's finally decided to retire, and the team is moving on without him. Is Rodgers and unknown quantity? Certainly. But so is Favre when it gets late in the season. Time to move on. Actually, it is PAST time to move on. It's already happened, like it or not.

i agree and what kills me is that people think this is somehow smack talk.

Its not at all, hes a legend to be even on the field at 38 much less playing well. But its caught up with him now. How could our supposed "best chance at a super bowl" be worn down at the end of the season... so much so that he thought at the time he was ready to retire. If your even thinking that ... its time.

i agree with Cheesey... as silly as it sounds... this has a little bit of a revenge feel to it.

MJ played for the wizards, Montana for the Chiefs. If Brett wants back in, trade him for something and let him play. but the Packers need to move on.

dd80forever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
As great as Favre was, I don't want him back. For the past three seasons, his performance has declined toward the end of the year. Of course, some of that is due to colder weather, when everybody's passing stats go down, but not all of it. Favre has been getting worn out by the end of every season, which is why he's been struggling with the retirement decision. He just doesn't feel like he has any energy left by the time the season is over. And he's right. He doesn't.

So now he's finally decided to retire, and the team is moving on without him. Is Rodgers and unknown quantity? Certainly. But so is Favre when it gets late in the season. Time to move on. Actually, it is PAST time to move on. It's already happened, like it or not.

Its not at all, hes a legend to be even on the field at 38 much less playing well. But its caught up with him now. How could our supposed "best chance at a super bowl" be worn down at the end of the season... so much so that he thought at the time he was ready to retire. If your even thinking that ... its time.

i agree with Cheesey... as silly as it sounds... this has a little bit of a revenge feel to it.

MJ played for the wizards, Montana for the Chiefs. If Brett wants back in, trade him for something and let him play. but the Packers need to move on.

Ohh, I don't think it's Smack Talk at all. I think you are just flat-out wrong.

It's pure and simple to me. Brett is proven, A-Rod is not. Brett led us to the NFC Championship game last year. A-Rods led himself to several injuries and looked good in 1/2 of a game.

It's competitive sports, all this talk about feelings and such has got to be some of the silliest bunch of manure I've ever heard. A team puts the best player on the field, period. It doesn't matter if he was already retired, just drafted, or came back from the dead.

I here all this crap about "creating competition" from the same people that want Brett to stay retired. So it's good to create competition unless the guy you are bringing in retired at one time.........give be a break. A-Rod or Brett for that matter can earn the job just like every other player on this team. That's usually how pro sports work, please crawl out from under the rock.

What happens if Brohm beats out A-Rod? What happens if they go out and sign Jeff George as a back-up and he beats out A-Rod in camp? I guess A-Rod has earned his job because he's held a clipboard for a couple years. Maybe Craig Nall has earned it to, bring him back.

It doesn't matter to me and it shouldn't matter to you. The coaching staff will field the best team they can in the end. If that's with Brett or not so be it but if Brett wants to come back I can't see a better option as our QB for this season.

You want the job A-Rod, go earn it the old fashion way.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:
Greg C. said:

So now he's finally decided to retire, and the team is moving on without him. Is Rodgers an unknown quantity? Certainly. But so is Favre when it gets late in the season. Time to move on. Actually, it is PAST time to move on. It's already happened, like it or not.

It's pure and simple to me. Brett is proven, A-Rod is not. Brett led us to the NFC Championship game last year. A-Rods led himself to several injuries and looked good in 1/2 of a game.

It's competitive sports, all this talk about feelings and such has got to be some of the silliest bunch of manure I've ever heard. A team puts the best player on the field, period. It doesn't matter if he was already retired, just drafted, or came back from the dead.

I here all this crap about "creating competition" from the same people that want Brett to stay retired. So it's good to create competition unless the guy you are bringing in retired at one time.........give be a break. A-Rod or Brett for that matter can earn the job just like every other player on this team. That's usually how pro sports work, please crawl out from under the rock.

What happens if Brohm beats out A-Rod? What happens if they go out and sign Jeff George as a back-up and he beats out A-Rod in camp? I guess A-Rod has earned his job because he's held a clipboard for a couple years. Maybe Craig Nall has earned it to, bring him back.

It doesn't matter to me and it shouldn't matter to you. The coaching staff will field the best team they can in the end. If that's with Brett or not so be it but if Brett wants to come back I can't see a better option as our QB for this season.

In an ideal world, nothing would be better for the Packers than to have Favre and Rodgers battle for the starting QB job. But it's not that simple. If Favre comes back, he's coming back to start. And he would start unless he totally stunk it up in the preseason. I'm pretty sure he would play well enough to keep the starting QB job. Rodgers played just as well as Favre did in the preseason last year, but all things being equal, you don't demote the guy who is a legend. And if Favre starts, we're right back where we were before, waiting for him to hit the wall at some point late in the season.

If it was as simple as playing the guys who are "proven," it would be easy to assemble a winning sports team. But sometimes--a lot of times--you have to pass up the sure thing and roll the dice on players who have not yet had the chance to shine. That time has come, and it's here because Favre spent years wavering on whether or not to retire, admitting he was exhausted at the end of each season, he's now 38, his performance has declined toward the end of the last three seasons, and yes, he finally DID retire, and the Packers have been led by Aaron Rodgers for four months now, including the minicamps and OTA's.

Enough already. If Favre really wants to play another season, it is time for the Packers to cut ties with him, or at least offer to do so.

dd80forever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Packnic said:
Greg C. said:

So now he's finally decided to retire, and the team is moving on without him. Is Rodgers an unknown quantity? Certainly. But so is Favre when it gets late in the season. Time to move on. Actually, it is PAST time to move on. It's already happened, like it or not.

In an ideal world, nothing would be better for the Packers than to have Favre and Rodgers battle for the starting QB job. But it's not that simple. If Favre comes back, he's coming back to start. And he would start unless he totally stunk it up in the preseason. I'm pretty sure he would play well enough to keep the starting QB job. Rodgers played just as well as Favre did in the preseason last year, but all things being equal, you don't demote the guy who is a legend. And if Favre starts, we're right back where we were before, waiting for him to hit the wall at some point late in the season.

If it was as simple as playing the guys who are "proven," it would be easy to assemble a winning sports team. But sometimes--a lot of times--you have to pass up the sure thing and roll the dice on players who have not yet had the chance to shine. That time has come, and it's here because Favre spent years wavering on whether or not to retire, admitting he was exhausted at the end of each season, he's now 38, his performance has declined toward the end of the last three seasons, and yes, he finally DID retire, and the Packers have been led by Aaron Rodgers for four months now, including the minicamps and OTA's.

Enough already. If Favre really wants to play another season, it is time for the Packers to cut ties with him, or at least offer to do so.

Then blame the coaching staff for not playing the "better guy" if that's how you feel. It's not your place to state what a person should do regarding thier profession. If he wants to come back, than by all means let him compete. If the coaching staff doesn't play the best guy, ***** and moan about them. But nahhhh.......let's Brame Brett.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
dd80forever said:
Packnic said:
Greg C. said:

Then blame the coaching staff for not playing the "better guy" if that's how you feel. It's not your place to state what a person should do regarding thier profession. If he wants to come back, than by all means let him compete. If the coaching staff doesn't play the best guy, ***** and moan about them. But nahhhh.......let's Brame Brett.

lol, so even if he waffles(you know, lies) and comes back, it's everyones fault but Brett's. I'm sure the fact that we would have FOUR friggin QBs wouldn't be his fault either. The coaches\management should have seen it coming, right?

You crack me up, familiar smelling guy.

dd80forever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dd80forever said:
Greg C. said:
dd80forever said:
Packnic said:
Greg C. said:

lol, so even if he waffles(you know, lies) and comes back, it's everyones fault but Brett's. I'm sure the fact that we would have FOUR friggin QBs wouldn't be his fault either. The coaches\management should have seen it coming, right?

You crack me up, familiar smelling guy.

You are too predictable fella. Every time GB brings in some dufus off the Street you are the first to chime in with "Great Signing, Way to Create competition" yet when the guy is Brett Favre you have a problem with it.

Just like saying TT drafts BPA and then you change it to TT drafted for need when it AGAIN comes to Brett Favre.

How many sides of your mouth can you talk out of? You sway whatever way the wind blows. You've had something against Favre since the day I came to this board, so save your "I love the guy" drivel. You can't seem to remain consistent on your own opinions, so it's hard for me to take you remotely serious.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First things first.....I love Brett Favre, and all he did for the Packers and the league. That being said, it is his responsibility to put a muzzle on that family of his. Whether he said anything or not, his family is now his mouthpiece by proxy, and they are creating havoc within the organization.

I mean, what do they want....TT down on his knees pleading with Brett to return? Everything from the team indicates that both TT and MM made Brett aware of the fact that he was wanted.

For a man who has done so much good for the Packers, he is now taking the legs out of a team that is ready to roll.....without him.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every time GB brings in some dufus off the Street you are the first to chime in with "Great Signing, Way to Create competition" yet when the guy is Brett Favre you have a problem with it.

Everytime?? Have you been here before i wonder :D

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score

you keep saying Brett Favre brings competition... as if bringing back Favre is the same thing as signing Brandon Chillar. Its not.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dd80forever said:
porky88 said:
dd80forever said:
porky88 said:
I don't think Ted Thompson would be met with as much backlash as people think if he releases Favre and Favre signs with say the New York Jets. However, if he does release Favre and its' the Vikings that get him then fans will absolutely go berserk on him and rightfully so. I do think the Vikings would sign him in a heartbeat if he's on the open market because they'll be a Super Bowl team with Brett Favre.

So releasing Favre is off the table. The Minnesota and Chicago papers writing about that crap are just wishing Ted Thompson was stupid enough to release him. I don't believe he is.

It's trade him or keep him as your starter IF this even is true.

Although you bring Favre back and prepare too lose Rodgers. Rodgers will be a free agent at the end of 2009. No way does he stay with this team if he goes back to being a backup. I can't say I blame him. You don't give a guy the keys to the ship and take them away like that without expecting that guy too be a little ticked off.

People telling Rodgers to stuff a sock in his mouth obviously have never been into being a competitive athlete. He wants too play.

I disagree somewhat Porky. As an athlete A-Rod should want what is best for this team and I sincerely doubt deep down if he thinks he gives this team more of a shot than Brett does. Hell we were within a stones toss at the Super Bowl last year with Brett.

The team has to do what's best for them. If this team had been 4-12 last year then it changes everything but for Ted to not forgo a possible championship now and instead field a team led by HIS GUY, Just because it's HIS GUY, is very shady.

I think management stunk this up from the beginning. It has been stated Brett was not even asked to reconsider by Ted Thompson. That is troublesome to me. Again being how close we are changes alot of things. It seems to me TT would rather pass on a championship now for the SOLE reason being he wants his guy running the show. Even if he believes A-Rod can bring 10 consecutive Championships to GB in the next few years it's borderline idiotic to be that close to the SB and not even ask the Captain of the ship to reconsider retirement. Ted's ego may have costed GB a championship, fortunately for him, he may get another chance to do the right thing.

The advocate here would say Rodgers living up to his potential is what's best for the team and the only way he can do that is if he plays. If the Packers truly feel that Aaron Rodgers will be good enough to lead this team to a Super Bowl or maybe more in the future then they very well should go with Rodgers.

There are two sides to this story.

It's also been reported that Mike McCarthy asked Favre to reconsider a number of times. McCarthy even said that he thought Favre was coming back. Highly unlikely that McCarthy and Thompson aren't on the same page especially since McCarthy just received an extension by none other than Thompson.

To say Thompson's ego may have cost GB another championship is a bit ridiculous. First, we don't know what really goes on behind scenes but none the less Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy are part of the reason why the Packers even have a remote shot at a championship this year and why they were in the NFC Title game last year.

As was the Old #4 playing out of his mind. I don;t see this team as a contender with A-Rod at QB this year, If you do you are putting a lot of hope into it. I would have been on my hands and kness begging Brett to come back being we were so close, but not ol' Teddy.

To me Brett and TT don't much like each other. You can tell by the comments Brett's family made to the media. McCarthy is like the go between. I have no doubt MM wants Brett back because as a coach he understands that winning is what matters. I think Teddy cares about winning as well, but only with his team and his guys. Again, it's an ego thing.

Let's just keep gameplanning for the future I guess. "Wait til next year" is going to get quite the workout I guess. All I know is I saw last year as a knock on the door, but without Brett I can't see us walking through it. I wish A-Rod the best but we MAY have lost a piece of the puzzle that can't be replaced, and if all it took was TT to beg a little to keep that piece around and he refused to do it, that's bad management driven by Ego. Time will tell I suppose.

Ok by your logic, Thompson's ego is so big that it's his guys only and that's that.

Well he resigned Al Harris, Aaron Kampman, Nick Barnett, and Donald Driver. Those guys were here before Ted Thompson was GM. Yes he's drafted a number of receivers but he's still resigned Driver when Driver wanted a new contract. He could of easily let him go. He could of easily let Aaron Kampman go and Nick Barnett too and kept all that extra cap for his guys but he didn't. He resigned them.

Your idea that Thompson has an ego problem and that's it's his guys or the highway is an argument we heard maybe at this time last year but after a 13-3 season with guys ranging from Brett Favre to Aaron Kampman to Greg Jennings, it's just not true.

I'm sure he has a bit of an ego. We all do but it's definitely not as big as your trying to make it out too be. Thompson is smart, not insecure about winning with his guys only.

Thompson's guys are good football players. It doesn't matter when and where they come from. That much is for certain.
GREAT post Porky!
Everyone does have an ego. I'm sure TT does. But he doesn't let his ego decide who to have on the team, as some seem to think. He wants to build a strong team, not just for now but for years to come. He makes his moves based on what he sees will be best overall for the team. As far as "his guys", he knows that if he does a great job, it won't be too many years till the whole TEAM will be "his guys". If he sucks, he won't be here long enough to see that happen. If he doesn't make SURE that the best guys are here now, he won't have a future here, and won't see what he can really build long term for the Packers. Is that ego? I don't see it that way, i see it as being smart, and cementing your own long term job security. TT is not so short sighted that he wants jusy HIS players out there, as that wouldn't neccessarily get the most wins, and help him keep his own job.
I can't help but wonder if TT being relativly new here, and asserting his authority might have brusied Favre's ego, causing this whole mess. Favre knows how much the fans love him, and he could use that as a way to try to gain back the control he thinks he lost. Again, i'm speculating, as i don't know whats really going on other then whats leaked to us.
I don't know whats gonna happen with this whole mess, but i don't like the way it has played out. It has turned the Packers into a media circus.

dd80forever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dd80forever said:
Every time GB brings in some dufus off the Street you are the first to chime in with "Great Signing, Way to Create competition" yet when the guy is Brett Favre you have a problem with it.

Ummm yes, I stated that before Detective. I used to have another username but I could not remember the password. Arrow took care of that for me.

Good Enough?

dd80forever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dd80forever said:

you keep saying Brett Favre brings competition... as if bringing back Favre is the same thing as signing Brandon Chillar. Its not.

The difference is????

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tiger said:
dd80forever said:

Ummm yes, I stated that before Detective. I used to have another username but I could not remember the password. Arrow took care of that for me.

Good Enough?

Deefensive :D No worries man welcome back :eek:

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are too predictable fella. Every time GB brings in some dufus off the Street you are the first to chime in with "Great Signing, Way to Create competition" yet when the guy is Brett Favre you have a problem with it.

Not really. A lot of times I have no frigging clue who it is because ted thompson signs and drafts people I never knew existed(chillar? frank walker?). After we DO sign these people, it's easy to research em and see their story. Chillar a starting LB, walker was a...mediocre CB. Bringing both in is good for competition. it always is. I'm sorry for liking competition and having players earn their spots. My bad.

Just like saying TT drafts BPA and then you change it to TT drafted for need when it AGAIN comes to Brett Favre.

So you're saying if Favre decided he was going to stay on the team, Green Bay would have drafted TWO QUARTERBACKS? Really? You believe that? I don't. If that means I'm calling Thompson a liar, then whatever. There's no way we would have went that route if Favre declared he was back. If you believe that...well...good luck with that.

You sway whatever way the wind blows. You've had something against Favre since the day I came to this board, so save your "I love the guy" drivel. You can't seem to remain consistent on your own opinions, so it's hard for me to take you remotely serious.

Right. I forgot. Criticizing people and not worshipping them means you don't love them. I always forget that part. You can't be mad when your QB throws an interception. If you do, you don't love him. You can't be annoyed when he takes forever to make a retirement decision. If it DOES annoy you, you don't love him and think he's crap. Right. It's either you love everything he does, including the crap he leaves in the toilet every morning, or you hate him. You make me laugh. I hope you stick around when the season starts and Favre isn't playing.

How many sides of your mouth can you talk out of?

Just the ones that make you look dumb.

dd80forever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Point proven, Thanks

Now you are arguing with your own logic and statements YOU made. Got Bait?

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope this is all speculation.

Without Brett, that Packers are going to be a better team. It's time for us to quit relying on him and wearing him down each season. He's too inconsistent to win through the playoffs. We need a solid D and a great running game with a QB who doesn't turn the ball over. Brett carried us when we had no running game and our D has been keeping it close.

Is Brett the right QB for this year? I don't think so, I think Rodgers has a better chance of playing the ball control game. The NFL is not conquered by heros, it's conquered by consistency across the team.

If he does come back, our mgt will be forced to 'welcome' him with open arms. He has earned that right, however I hope that he's smart enough to leave it where it is.

Mind you, I've been badmouthing his errant throws since, well since forever, so yes, I'm jaded.

While I'm at it, I'll point out that DD80's logic above is sorely lacking and it's fun watching Trom clean that up.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Point proven, Thanks

Now you are arguing with your own logic and statements YOU made. Got Bait?

Really? I respond to your post point-by-point and that's your response?

Got rebuttal?

Devil_Doc

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I truly believe that both sides are to blame in this situation.

TT and the rest of his management, who made Brett "feel" like he wasn't welcome back, and was pretty much showing him the door. I understand the hate for playing the waiting game on the does-he-retire, doesn't-he-retire situation, but with all this talk about "earning" Favre had certainly earned the right to think about that type of decision.

Favre is just as much to blame, only waiting a month after the Super Bowl to make a decision. That was like buying $25 movie at the checkout line in Wal Mart, a hasty and impulsive decision without really thinking it through. MM even thought Brett was comming back. And to say that management was forcing him to give a faster answer is BS in my opinion...what would they have done had he waited until the draft, or until NOW to decide he wants to play, cut him? C'mon Brett....you have given everything you could remember?

I'm really torn, I can't say what's best for the Packers, or really give an honest opinion, the Packers won with Favre and would probably win again if he came back. But the Packers offense has gone a different direction with A-Rod, and they probably will win with him as well.

What's really scary, is if we let Brett go, and A-Rod follows the trend of this draft class, and completely bombs......the Packers chose Rodger over Favre...now Favre would be getting the last laugh, TT would be in the Hall of Shame on worst decisions ever made.....

On the flip side....A-Rod leads us to the playoffs his first year starting....can't hate on the decision to go with him.....

I think its just going to be a very long year in Packerland.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's also scary that if Brett comes back, and has lost "it" and the Packers year goes down the toilet. Then TT and MM would look like idiots for letting him come back.
Either could happen.
And then either way TT will be made out to be the "bad guy".
The only way TT comes out good in this is that we win the SB this year, with whoever is QB here. Otherwise, in the eyes of some he will be "an idiot".
He can't win unless it's a SB win now.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Devil_Doc said:

TT and the rest of his management, who made Brett "feel" like he wasn't welcome back, and was pretty much showing him the door.

I want to know how they did that. The only source that says this is Bonita Favre, and she said she only "senses" it. A mom senses people are picking on her boy? Stop the presses!

The key argument people make for TT hating Favre is lack of getting him weapons(moss,etc), yet...we just went deep into the playoffs(one play away) without Moss and going the OPPOSITE route of bringing in the big names. If that route wasn't working, I'd definitely see their point, but...no. This way is working. Very well.

So I'm not seeing TT not making Brett feel welcome. They have TOLD him they wanted him back(according to them, their words).

So unless someone has anything other than Mrs. Favre's "senses," there's nothing there.

Devil_Doc

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Devil_Doc said:

TT and the rest of his management, who made Brett "feel" like he wasn't welcome back, and was pretty much showing him the door.

I want to know how they did that. The only source that says this is Bonita Favre, and she said she only "senses" it. A mom senses people are picking on her boy? Stop the presses!

The key argument people make for TT hating Favre is lack of getting him weapons(moss,etc), yet...we just went deep into the playoffs(one play away) without Moss and going the OPPOSITE route of bringing in the big names. If that route wasn't working, I'd definitely see their point, but...no. This way is working. Very well.

So I'm not seeing TT not making Brett feel welcome. They have TOLD him they wanted him back(according to them, their words).

So unless someone has anything other than Mrs. Favre's "senses," there's nothing there.

I'm only going off of what I've heard, and that was one of them. I knew McCarthy wanted him to come back, but I didn't think TT was part of that conversation.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Devil_Doc said:
Devil_Doc said:

I'm only going off of what I've heard, and that was one of them. I knew McCarthy wanted him to come back, but I didn't think TT was part of that conversation.

good question, my man.

Ted Thompson:

Brett's a professional football player, one of the finest if not the finest that I've ever seen. He wants to know a couple of things. Do you still want me, and can I still play? Obviously both Mike and I were very positive in that regard and said definitely we do.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dd80, the "creating competition" argument you blast Tromadz for is way off base.

A guy like Brandon Chillar is brought in to push and possibly overtake an established starter. If it does not work out, there is no significant financial and/or emotional loss.

Favre, being one of, if not the greatest Packer in the history of the team, is not brought back to "compete". He is brought back to start and lead the team, at great financial cost to the team (which thankfully we can afford due to TT's financial discipline), but at great emotional cost. Doing so turns this team, and the direction they have plotted AFTER BRETT CHOSE TO RETIRE, completely upside down. Very different scenario.

Seems kinda obvious there is a difference there.

Can I ask you something serious, dd80? Are you a younger person which might make Brett the only QB you have seen on the field for the Packers?

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Dunne's article.

But more than that, you don’t release or trade a player that just finished second in the MVP voting, made the Pro Bowl and was SI’s Sportsman of the Year. He isn’t Troy Aikman or Dan Marino. This Hall-of-Fame duo combined for 19 touchdowns and 31 interceptions in their injury-shortened final season.

My thoughts exactly. Had it not been for Tom Brady having the best season of his career (and possibly the best season EVER for a QB), Favre would have had his 4th MVP.

We'll see though. This is just speculation.

Members online

Latest posts