Minnesota Sinks To 0-4

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score
I wouldnt call the oline elite but the defense after last year deserves at least half the season before we call them not elite. When we need a play I trust the defense to make it.

I disagree. This season, the only one that matters in this discussion, the defense has been far from elite. Very little pass rush and a lot of miscommunication/blown coverage in the secondary.

OP
OP
Bogart

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I have to admit, I don't think Rodgers would have fared well in San Francisco had we took Alex Smith.

One thing for sure, the 49ers threw Smith out to the wolves. That's one reason he's really never been a good quarterback, and is very inconsistent at turning the ball over.

Sitting on that bench helped Rodgers...It gave him the time he needed.

I do like Andrew Luck, and I want him to go some where that he's going to grow success from. I DO NOT wanna see him get thrown out in the hell of a bad O-line and a defense tearing him up. As much as I hated Cam Newton last season for being a Crimson Tide fan that I am, I have to admit, he has learned quickly, but I'll argue anyone that thinks Newton is learning on his own. He's got Warren Moon mentoring him, and that has helped him BIG TIME.

I'd like to see Luck get drafted, sit on the bench with a HoF mentor and became a good quarterback.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to plead the case of the oline. Jennings, Driver, Starks, Grant, Nelson, just those offensive weapons alone are caue for argument. Plus we are getting the protection for Aaron this year that we lacked somewhat last year.

Good argument for the D. :)
I agree with the oline so far this year they have been much improved. If they can keep it up I may have to change my view of them. I guess I still remember whale, winters and rivera.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to admit, I don't think Rodgers would have fared well in San Francisco had we took Alex Smith.

One thing for sure, the 49ers threw Smith out to the wolves. That's one reason he's really never been a good quarterback, and is very inconsistent at turning the ball over.

Sitting on that bench helped Rodgers...It gave him the time he needed.

I do like Andrew Luck, and I want him to go some where that he's going to grow success from. I DO NOT wanna see him get thrown out in the hell of a bad O-line and a defense tearing him up. As much as I hated Cam Newton last season for being a Crimson Tide fan that I am, I have to admit, he has learned quickly, but I'll argue anyone that thinks Newton is learning on his own. He's got Warren Moon mentoring him, and that has helped him BIG TIME.

I'd like to see Luck get drafted, sit on the bench with a HoF mentor and became a good quarterback.

I wouldn't want Luck getting thrown into hell, but there is a reason a team is 3-13. There may be no help for it and there may not be a veteran QB floating around to mentor him. The Vikings would be wise to let McNabb mentor Ponder and keep Ponder around as a franchise QB. If Luck is the 1st pick, as it looks now he almost certainly will be, he will be going to the worst team in the NFL. There is also a high probability he will start in his rookie year. The team will need him that bad. The sweet part of me also wants to see him do well, but I also don't want him haunting the hell out of the Packers.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
We had our hands full with the Lions last year actually. Lost once, and barely beat them in Green Bay early in the year, with their backup QB playing.
Yes, but didn't something major happen in that loss????? And no run game, no Finley, Driver playing hurt. Different team this year, much much better. We have 7 weeks before the match up so things will look much different by then.

G0PackG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had no idea they were so bad.. I even sat the ravens D and put in the vi-queens because they were playing the redskins lol cost me my matchup...

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score
Would the Packers have won the SB without the D and Oline playing as they were?

No of course not, but the elite QB (Rodgers) is almost always the biggest reason that teams win championships.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
No of course not, but the elite QB (Rodgers) is almost always the biggest reason that teams win championships.

Look at the Bears and the Philly playoff games...What did we HAVE to depend on to win at the end?

OP
OP
Bogart

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I wouldn't want Luck getting thrown into hell, but there is a reason a team is 3-13. There may be no help for it and there may not be a veteran QB floating around to mentor him. The Vikings would be wise to let McNabb mentor Ponder and keep Ponder around as a franchise QB. If Luck is the 1st pick, as it looks now he almost certainly will be, he will be going to the worst team in the NFL. There is also a high probability he will start in his rookie year. The team will need him that bad. The sweet part of me also wants to see him do well, but I also don't want him haunting the hell out of the Packers.

That's where Minnesota has been ******** up for years with washed up quarterbacks.

Dennis Green was probably the smartest coach they had with a washed up QB. He learned his lesson with Warren Moon constantly getting injured in the twilight of his career. Randall Cunnigham was an accident really, had Johnson not got hurt, they wouldn't have been 15-1. Only reason Cunnigham came back in 1999 was to mentor Daunte Culpepper, I believe. They knew he was done. Injuries would eventually kill Daunte Culpepper's talent and career, but I think Green was trying to do the right thing with them. Every coach since him, has been terrible. Brad Childress wouldn't have had any success what-so-ever had it not been for a washed up Favre.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
You know I haven't put too much thought in to the Vikes since Favre went there, but they seem similar to the Bears and go through QB's quickly and with different ups and downs.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The mutual follies of Vick and Cutler?

Well yeah?

But D got int at the very end ....Philly was close enough to get a Td to win the game...and Bears could have got a td and an extra point to tie or a 2 point conv to win

Point I am trying to make is that I truly think the D carried the team for a lot of games last year

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score
Look at the Bears and the Philly playoff games...What did we HAVE to depend on to win at the end?

Sure, you can take specific games where the defense had the bigger impact but the fact is that you do not win championships without an elite QB. Not since Brad Johnson in 03 has a non-elite QB won a title. The NFL is a passing league and we have the best passer.

Guacamole

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
In Webster's dictionary the definition of inept is "1) lacking in aptitude; 2) being out of place; 3) generally incompetent." In the Minnesota dictionary the definition of inept is: "1) Lacking of any worthwhile skills; 2) Lousy at working together as a team; 3) Minnesota Vikings

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well yeah?

But D got int at the very end ....Philly was close enough to get a Td to win the game...and Bears could have got a td and an extra point to tie or a 2 point conv to win

Point I am trying to make is that I truly think the D carried the team for a lot of games last year

I was being sarcastic! I knew what you were saying. I think they carried us too and let us not forget their performance in the Superbowl.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
why is everyone sucking lucks *****? jeeze youd think this guy was the second coming of jesus

He is the best QB to come out of college in 25 years. Pretty much can turn a franchise around for a very long time. I dont remember the last time MN had a franchise QB (I dont count mr get your roll on)

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
He is the best QB to come out of college in 25 years. Pretty much can turn a franchise around for a very long time. I dont remember the last time MN had a franchise QB (I dont count mr get your roll on)
And Packer fans would know about drafting franchise QB's, since it was 49 years between them drafting franchise QB's.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
And Packer fans would know about drafting franchise QB's, since it was 49 years between them drafting franchise QB's.

A Vikings fan is come! So what are your feelings on the Vikings getting Luck? No offense, but if your team keeps going the way they are going they are going to need him.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
A Vikings fan is come! So what are your feelings on the Vikings getting Luck? No offense, but if your team keeps going the way they are going they are going to need him.
Nah, they will win just enough to take themselves out of the Luck sweepstakes. Just watch. About game 6 or so they will decide to give Ponder a chance and he will learn just enough to get them to like 6-7 wins. Meantime, the Colts will suck it out for the rest of the year and luck into picking up Luck to replace Manning. That's my guess.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
What really sucks is the Vikings have lost by an average of 4.75 points per game. Not even a freaking TD with the extra point. A field goal and safety would have done it. I suppose I should consider myself lucky that I have not been able to watch them play yet this year. It would just tick me off even more.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nah, they will win just enough to take themselves out of the Luck sweepstakes. Just watch. About game 6 or so they will decide to give Ponder a chance and he will learn just enough to get them to like 6-7 wins. Meantime, the Colts will suck it out for the rest of the year and luck into picking up Luck to replace Manning. That's my guess.

What terrible luck. The best thing you guys can do for your QB situation is take advantage of McNabb while he is there and let him mentor Ponder.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
What terrible luck. The best thing you guys can do for your QB situation is take advantage of McNabb while he is there and let him mentor Ponder.
I'm not sure him mentoring Ponder is a good thing. From what I understand his passes have been either high or damn near in the ground. He missed an open Berrian in the end zone in the Tampa game. Or so I have been told. McNabb will start this weekend but if they are behind at the half I could easily see them going to Ponder. Only one team has started 0-4 and made it to the playoffs since 1990. I don't see them being the second one with McNabb at QB.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure him mentoring Ponder is a good thing. From what I understand his passes have been either high or damn near in the ground. He missed an open Berrian in the end zone in the Tampa game. Or so I have been told. McNabb will start this weekend but if they are behind at the half I could easily see them going to Ponder. Only one team has started 0-4 and made it to the playoffs since 1990. I don't see them being the second one with McNabb at QB.

McNabb is a good QB. He's got a wealth of playoff, NFC Championship, and Superbowl experience. Plus he had experience on how to deal with adversity thanks to the Eagles and Redskins. What happened there was not all his fault. They seemed to blame everything on him but that's a whole other thread. Ponder can learn something with McNabb. How to run with the ball, and when to stay in the pocket. Not to be silly, but are you sure some of those missed catches might be partially the fault of the receivers?

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
McNabb is a good QB. He's got a wealth of playoff, NFC Championship, and Superbowl experience. Plus he had experience on how to deal with adversity thanks to the Eagles and Redskins. What happened there was not all his fault. They seemed to blame everything on him but that's a whole other thread. Ponder can learn something with McNabb. How to run with the ball, and when to stay in the pocket. Not to be silly, but are you sure some of those missed catches might be partially the fault of the receivers?
Some may be, but a lot were landing at the receivers feet. I was told the one to berrian in the end zone was way to high. Like I said, I haven't seen the games so I have to go on what other fans are saying. To bad the NFL (network) has decided to charge people to see the replays this year. They only replay the good games on TV. So if your team sucks, you have to pay to see them.

Staff online

Latest posts