Mason Crosby in trouble?

Reaction score
He had a terrible day at office that’s true.

It just wouldn’t be prudent to cut Crosby over 1 poor performance. Now that said.. maybe doing that in a high caliber game like Divisional or NFC game? That might get you cut.
Otherwise if this was our process? We’d have to cut 2-3 players weekly!

D

Deleted member 6794

And, just a feeling, though it's probably too subjective for even you to research :), but it seems to me that Crosby has made way more important/critical kicks than he's missed, even if the total numbers aren't all the impressive.

Crosby has made 15 of 21 field goals (71.4%) either in the fourth quarter with two minutes or less left and the scoring margin between minus-3 and plus-6 or in overtime. The league average in the same situation is at 79.7% since 2007.

So throw out all the pros and cons with Crosby. What do you save by having a Rookie as your kicker? A little over $3M/year. Is that savings worth potentially having an ongoing kicking contest during the season, in attempt to find your new guy?

With teams being allowed to roll over cap space the Packers could have saved a total of close to $14 million over four years and most likely not ending up with a worse kicker.

Part of the reason Crosby has a low made percentage is because of MM’s love of kicking 50+ yard field goals with him.

I’m too lazy, but maybe somebody could look up how many 50+ yardwrs he’s attempted compared to other kickers. Perhaps my memory is wrong/biased.

Crosby has attempted the second most 50+ yards field goal since 2007 with a total of 61. His percentage of 50.8% ranks only 29th out of 35 kickers that have at least 16 attempts.

It might be just as informative to know what his percentage is of field goals at 45 yards and below. My suspicion is that it won’t help his case... but maybe Captain Wimm has those numbers.

Crosby has made 87.5% of his field goal attempts from 45 yards or less, ranking 34th out of 39 kickers that have tried at least 100 of those kicks since 2007.

The conclusion is that any way you slice it Crosby is a below average kicker that is unfortunately paid elite money.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crosby has made 15 of 21 field goals (71.4%) either in the fourth quarter with two minutes or less left and the scoring margin between minus-3 and plus-6 or in overtime. The league average in the same situation is at 79.7% since 2007.

What I meant when I said it was too subjective is that I was thinking only of the situations in which a miss meant a loss. If I understand the data above correctly, the Pack could have been leading, Crosby misses, and we still win. I was thinking more of the first part of the equation - the Pack is tied or behind by <=3 very late, and a means a loss. Thanks for the numbers, though.

Reaction score
I can't imagine how crappy it must feel to be a stud kicker your whole life; in college and in high school. Then get drafted and miss some kicks and be let go and not signed. Career gone just like that. Going from an extreme high in getting drafted, to then being let go the same year. Where do you even go in life from there? I can imagine they must be thinking what the heck just happened??

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kickers hopefully have actually earned a college degree, so deciding life is over would be pretty short-sighted. Do they feel any worse than, say, a highly-recruited Harvard lawyer who can't handle the real world, loses his first few cases, and is canned? They have lost pretty much the last seven years of their life, while the athletes didn't major in place-kicking.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I recall some stats on here bearing out the advantage of going for two over the course of a season.
Yeah I’m pretty sure the success rate shakes out to greater than 50%. Now with MM at the reigns, it’s unlikely we’d see this approach, and in fairness, I’m not aware of any team in the NFL that always opts for the 2 pt conversion.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score

With teams being allowed to roll over cap space the Packers could have saved a total of close to $14 million over four years and most likely not ending up with a worse kicker.

Crosby has attempted the second most 50+ yards field goal since 2007 with a total of 61. His percentage of 50.8% ranks only 29th out of 35 kickers that have at least 16 attempts.

Crosby has made 87.5% of his field goal attempts from 45 yards or less, ranking 34th out of 39 kickers that have tried at least 100 of those kicks since 2007.

The conclusion is that any way you slice it Crosby is a below average kicker that is unfortunately paid elite money.

Where does he rank in those same categories from 2013 to present? Just curious.

D

Deleted member 6794

What I meant when I said it was too subjective is that I was thinking only of the situations in which a miss meant a loss. If I understand the data above correctly, the Pack could have been leading, Crosby misses, and we still win. I was thinking more of the first part of the equation - the Pack is tied or behind by <=3 very late, and a means a loss. Thanks for the numbers, though.

Once again, however you slice it there aren't any numbers to support Crosby being an above average or clutch kicker. He has made 10 of 16 (62.5%) field goals with the Packers either being behind by three points or tied in the last two minutes of a game as well as in overtime over his career. The league average is at 77.5% in those situations since 2007.

Yeah I’m pretty sure the success rate shakes out to greater than 50%. Now with MM at the reigns, it’s unlikely we’d see this approach, and in fairness, I’m not aware of any team in the NFL that always opts for the 2 pt conversion.

Actually teams have scored on 49.8% on two-point conversions since the league moved back the extra point to the 15-yard line in 2015.

Where does he rank in those same categories from 2013 to present? Just curious.

Crosby has made 84.6% of field goals from 45 yards or less since 2013, ranking 35th out of 41 kickers with at least 16 attempts.

He has attempted the seventh most 50+ yards field goals since 2013 with a total of 28. His 60.7% percentage on those kicks ranks 16th out of 32 kickers with at least 10 attempts.

Even ignoring his terrible 2012 season he has been an average kicker at best since then.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But what are Mason's numbers when wearing white road jerseys, his lucky underwear and Nike socks? :roflmao:

Seriously though, I think people have had it pounded into their heads by the Wisconsin sports media, by fans, by everyone for so long that Mason is Mr. Reliable, that when they hear that the stats say completely otherwise it's hard for them to even believe.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mason Crosby is one of the very few instances where McCarthy's loyalty actually pays off.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mason Crosby is one of the very few instances where McCarthy's loyalty actually pays off.

GB only been in the top 10 in FG% once in the last 6 years, so not really.

2018: 24
2017: 23
2016: 10
2015: 14
2014: 23
2013: 13

and that's leaving out his glorious 2012 season when he was (obviously) last in the league.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Another missed fg in a 3 pt loss....
Yup sucks he missed after what appeared to be a bad snap and Scott doing his best to try and get the ball down, but he isn't going to make every 40+ yard FG and considering it was in the 1st quarter and a lot happened after that, I'm not pinning this loss on Mason Fricking Crosby.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Yup sucks he missed after what appeared to be a bad snap and Scott doing his best to try and get the ball down, but he isn't going to make every 40+ yard FG and considering it was in the 1st quarter and a lot happened after that, I'm not pinning this loss on Mason Fricking Crosby.
The missed kick obviously hurts in a 3 point outcome, but there are a million things that concern me right now before I get to Mason Crosby. He melted down against Detroit obviously, but after that point and up until last night, he had made 8/8 FG's and 15/15 PATs.

Now if the slump would have continued after the Detroit game, I'd harp on it a little more. But he's obviously not going to make all of them. And it wasn't the best hold ever to your point.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers need to bring in a few kickers this off season and see what they can do. Crosby isn't worth the money he's making