Mason Crosby in trouble?

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's been a good packer but at his very best he was only "pretty good" and at his worst he was dead last in the league. He blew multiple games this year and is 5th highest paid in the league. Thank you for your time and scoring record, but see you later.

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like Crosby gone.. The BUT... is

And it's a BIG BUT...

Is that we need a kicker who can/is comfortable kicking in bad weather...

Yeah I don't think Crosby is accurate enough but replacing someone who can come in and kick in bad weather in the Upper Midwest isn't exactly "easy" lol

We don't play in U.S. Bank stadium where you can just have perfect climate and controlled.

**** we have feet of snow here in MSP right now but the Vikings aren't playing in that...

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chris Boswell fights the most difficult winds in football in Pittsburgh and he's 87% for his career. Hauschka is near 90% in Buffalo. It can be done.

We need to stop acting like Green Bay is the only difficult place to play in the NFL. Most teams play outdoors. Mason plays an average of 2 games a year in December in Green Bay out of 16 games. He is not the first kicker in the NFL to have to kick some games in conditions that were not perfectly climate controlled.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Starting with his name.
"Mason."
Who in the heck names their kid that?
Was there an empty jar in the room?
Dad was so happy he was celebrating with a jar full of moonshine looking at the little tyke when he came staggering into the room?
"What shall we name him, dear?" she asks.
"Ma...Ma...Mashon. Mashon Croshby."
We need a kicker with a better name that inspires confidence.
Upright Makem might do.
Or how about Goalpost Always?
Mason!
SMH

D

Deleted member 6794

Some posters pointed out that it was a mistake signing Crosby to that extension in 2016. It seems like others finally understand that to be true.

I mean, he's the kicker with the highest cap hit this season :rolleyes:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm sure we will find another kicker that sucks on occasion, seems to be a condition that at some point plagues most teams and most kickers. This isn't defending Mason for being one of the higher paid kickers and missing some key kicks this year, it's just reality and isn't much different than Rodger missing an easy TD pass to Adams or a guy dropping a pass for a first down. It just stands out more when its at the end of the game and means a win, loss or OT.

Crosby hasn't had a very good year, but than again, that seems to be a contagious condition in Green Bay right now.

Last edited:

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure we will find another kicker that sucks on occasion, seems to be a condition that at some point plagues most teams. This isn't defending Mason for being one of the higher paid kickers and missing some key kicks this year, it's just reality and isn't much different than Rodger missing an easy TD pass to Adams or a guy dropping a pass for a first down. It just stands out more when its at the end of the game and means a win, loss or OT.

Crosby hasn't had a very good year, but than again, that seems to be a contagious condition in Green Bay right now.
I’m not really against Crosby... kickers have ups and downs... but I think at this point.. we may want to save some money since he really has proven over time that he isn’t any better than at best... average.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I’m not really against Crosby... kickers have ups and downs... but I think at this point.. we may want to save some money since he really has proven over time that he isn’t any better than at best... average.
At this point I would tend to agree when it comes to Crosby with my usual caveat. If you find a guy that will kick as good or better than Mason for less money, than sign him up! But people should be prepared mentally for that guy, you just saved a million or two on, to possibly be worse than Crosby.

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point I would tend to agree when it comes to Crosby with my usual caveat. If you find a guy that will kick as good or better than Mason for less money, than sign him up! But people should be prepared mentally for that guy, you just saved a million or two on, to possibly be worse than Crosby.

A dependable kicker is worth some extra salary.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure we will find another kicker that sucks on occasion, seems to be a condition that at some point plagues most teams and most kickers. This isn't defending Mason for being one of the higher paid kickers and missing some key kicks this year, it's just reality and isn't much different than Rodger missing an easy TD pass to Adams or a guy dropping a pass for a first down. It just stands out more when its at the end of the game and means a win, loss or OT.

Yeah, and it isn't really fair to pin it all on one guy.
If the O doesn't make it to the end zone, a first down or better FG range with only 2 ticks to spare for an FG try, that is not on the kicker.
It's easy to forget the receiver who dropped the pass at the 2 yard line that would have given them better field position to score.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fake or real, this should be the test for any future GB kicker from now on.
"I can hit it from 55 yards anywhere in the field of play every time."
"Yeah? So? But can you do this?"

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

H

HardRightEdge

Fake or real, this should be the test for any future GB kicker from now on.
"I can hit it from 55 yards anywhere in the field of play every time."
"Yeah? So? But can you do this?"

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
It's evidently not that easy with snap, hold, a pass rush, a cross wind, and air not as thin as in Colorado. That's assuming the tape is not a fake.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, and it isn't really fair to pin it all on one guy.
If the O doesn't make it to the end zone, a first down or better FG range with only 2 ticks to spare for an FG try, that is not on the kicker.
It's easy to forget the receiver who dropped the pass at the 2 yard line that would have given them better field position to score.

The reason I tend to lay it on kickers more than position players is THAT'S ALL THEY DO. If there's leak in the blocking, a bad hold, a bad snap, or the longest kick of their life, there's some mitigation. But for a 49 yard field goal to avoid the outright loss, when you're making what he's making, you'd better put it through.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know Mason does need to do his job and hit FGs and this can't be an excuse for him, but I'm just unable to get mad at him for yesterday. That it even came down to him needing a fg to tie or Rodgers needing to pull out a miracle drive to set it up to beat the rotten Cards is just an abomination of how bad this team got.

Now, I'll definitely say he should be expected to hit makeable game winners for his salary like the miss he had against Minny in week 2 and a few others this year, but if your offense is settling for as many FGs as ours was on a regular, that's a bigger problem than a struggling kicker imo.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Literally close my eyes every time he has to kick anything over 30 yards. How’s that for my “confidence” in him? They can draft cold weather kickers it’s not impossible...Mason cost way too much money to be the average kicker that he is.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
It's evidently not that easy with snap, hold, a pass rush, a cross wind, and air not as thin as in Colorado. That's assuming the tape is not a fake.
Of course it's fake. That's the Brown County courthouse in "downtown" Green Bay. From where he was kicking is almost 100 yards from the center of the building.

Members online

Latest posts