Mason Crosby in trouble?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It's evidently not that easy with snap, hold, a pass rush, a cross wind, and air not as thin as in Colorado. That's assuming the tape is not a fake.
or with $5 M in your back pocket weighting you down. ;)

Of course it's fake. That's the Brown County courthouse in "downtown" Green Bay. From where he was kicking is almost 100 yards from the center of the building.
You saying that he had a much stronger leg when he filmed this? :coffee:

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look I think mason is a top notch kicker, but he hasnt been earning that check.
Mason Crosby signed a 4 year, $16,100,000 contract with the Green Bay Packers, including a $5,000,000 signing bonus, $5,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $4,025,000.
he should be hitting every field goal for that amount of money. not just that his kicks on KICK OFF should never be returnable, hes known for a strong leg but struggles to kick it out the endzone, now i dont know if thats by design or not idk.

Last edited:

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look I think mason is a top notch kicker

Problem is he's really not. Per ESPN, by percentage he's ranked as follows:
27 in 2018
23 in 2017
10 in 2016
T14 in 2015
23 in 2014
13 in 2013
32 in 2012
10 in 2011

That's squeaking into the top third of the league only 2 times and into top half twice more.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Sadly, there always seems to be players that the Packers have signed to new deals and haven't met those deals with their level of play, Mason Crosby is or should be on that list. Just like the other players with continuing contracts, the Packers will need to evaluate each guy and decide if its time to part ways. I'm sure that Crosby has kicked himself into that conversation.

Last edited:

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope there's some renewed appreciation for Crosby today. Bryant had two misses and Crosby hit two long FGs in difficult conditions. That's why he's here. One of the best cold weather kickers in the game.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope there's some renewed appreciation for Crosby today. Bryant had two misses and Crosby hit two long FGs in difficult conditions. That's why he's here. One of the best cold weather kickers in the game.

Meh, the numbers don't lie.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Meh, the numbers don't lie.

No, they don't. Bryant 2 misses and another one bonking the uprights. Crosby, two long makes in bad conditions, cold+wind. The most important football is played in December.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

No, they don't. Bryant 2 misses and another one bonking the uprights. Crosby, two long makes in bad conditions, cold+wind. The most important football is played in December.

Was thinking the same in regards to Crosby VS. Bryant (today anyway). However, many will say that it doesn't matter because the game wasn't on the line, the Packers are out of the playoffs and the rest of his season hasn't been very good for Crosby, but great for Bryant. Which I think has some merit, add to it what Mason is due to be paid, I'm fine with potentially replacing a guy that for years, I have loved having in Green Bay, but in most games this year, he hasn't been playing good enough to meet his salary.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was thinking the same in regards to Crosby VS. Bryant (today anyway). However, many will say that it doesn't matter because the game wasn't on the line, the Packers are out of the playoffs and the rest of his season hasn't been very good for Crosby, but great for Bryant. Which I think has some merit, add to it what Mason is due to be paid, I'm fine with potentially replacing a guy that for years, I have loved having in Green Bay, but in most games this year, he hasn't been playing good enough to meet his salary.
Were you talking about Crosby or Rodgers?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Were you talking about Crosby or Rodgers?
Guessing you said that tongue in cheek, but yes, I was talking about Crosby. Rodgers has been off most of the year, but so has the rest of the team. With Rodgers guarantees, talk of trading/cutting him is sheer lunacy, plus I think Crosby is a lot easier to replace than #12.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Please refer to his kicking rankings in my previous post. Let's not act like GB is the only cold weather stadium in the league. Tucker plays in a cold weather town and is on pace to be the best kicker of all time. One good (was it really that good?) game doesn't negate a career of nfl mediocrity.

Last edited:

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guessing you said that tongue in cheek, but yes, I was talking about Crosby. Rodgers has been off most of the year, but so has the rest of the team. With Rodgers guarantees, talk of trading/cutting him is sheer lunacy, plus I think Crosby is a lot easier to replace than #12.
Yeah, that was completely tongue in cheek. And yes, I agree with the rest of your post too. Just thought it was funny and had a couple of liquid libations in me after watching the game today. Thoughts of what might have been this year had we looked like this for the whole season.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It's 2 kicks. Are you aware of how Crosby stacks up for his career statistically compared to other kickers in bad weather, or are you making assumptions and arguments based on a sample size of 2 kicks?

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's 2 kicks. Are you aware of how Crosby stacks up for his career statistically compared to other kickers in bad weather, or are you making assumptions and arguments based on a sample size of 2 kicks?
He's done it for years.

D

Deleted member 6794

Geez, when will Packers fans ever learn??? Crosby has been an average kicker at best over his career. Opposing kickers have combined to made a higher percentage of field goals at Lambeau than him although he's used to the conditions.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Imagine as a kid you go get your pizza from Mason's Pizza. The pizza is fine, not great but not terrible, and fairly reasonable. As the years go by, however, Mason starts raising his rates to an outrageous 30 dollars a pie.

Other pizza joints open in town, they are all pretty much the same, only they charge 10 dollars a pizza. You however continue to eat at Mason's and defend it even though the pizza is not that great and vastly overpriced, because it's all you really know and you're comfortable with it.

This is the relationship that Crosby apologists have with Mason Crosby.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Imagine as a kid you go get your pizza from Mason's Pizza. The pizza is fine, not great but not terrible, and fairly reasonable. As the years go by, however, Mason starts raising his rates to an outrageous 30 dollars a pie.

Other pizza joints open in town, they are all pretty much the same, only they charge 10 dollars a pizza. You however continue to eat at Mason's and defend it even though the pizza is not that great and vastly overpriced, because it's all you really know and you're comfortable with it.

This is the relationship that Crosby apologists have with Mason Crosby.

Mason has served up some pretty tasty playoff pizza ;) Making 26 of 29 FGA with misses from 41, 50 and 54, while making all 59 XPA's. Definitely hard to forget that pizza he served up in Dallas in the 2017 playoff game, making a 56 and 51 yarder in the final 2 minutes to win it.

But yes, if the goal here is to save some money and try some new pizza, after this season, I may finally be on board. With the caveat, those wanting to venture out, don't complain when they get served up a few cold slices on occasion from a place like Matt Bryant's Big Slice. :coffee:

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mason has served up some pretty tasty playoff pizza ;) Making 26 of 29 FGA with misses from 41, 50 and 54, while making all 59 XPA's. Definitely hard to forget that pizza he served up in Dallas in the 2017 playoff game, making a 56 and 51 yarder in the final 2 minutes to win it.

But yes, if the goal here is to save some money and try some new pizza, after this season, I may finally be on board. With the caveat, those wanting to venture out, don't complain when they get served up a few cold slices on occasion from a place like Matt Bryant's Big Slice. :coffee:
The problem is that Mason’s has a higher than average percentage of rotten mushrooms as well.

D

Deleted member 6794

I understand that a lot of Packers fans think about the Cowboys game or take a look at his percentage in the playoffs and believe Crosby to be a clutch kicker in the postseason.

The truth being that those two 50+ yarders are the only ones in his entire playoff career with 19 of his successful tries coming from 40 yards or less though.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I understand that a lot of Packers fans think about the Cowboys game or take a look at his percentage in the playoffs and believe Crosby to be a clutch kicker in the postseason.

The truth being that those two 50+ yarders are the only ones in his entire playoff career with 19 of his successful tries coming from 40 yards or less though.
So if I do my math right, in the playoffs, he is perfect on XPA's (59/59) as well as from 40 on in (19/19) and 7 of 10 from 40+ yards in the playoffs, with 2 of those misses being 50 or beyond? I would say that is pretty clutch kicking in the playoffs?

After this year, I understand why people want to move on from Crosby, but I also think people shouldn't expect to have 100% assurance of the next guy being better or worse, just cheaper. The position has always been a crap shoot and there are other factors that I am sure the Packers have taken into consideration when looking at everyone of his misses (weather, snap, hold, etc.).

No doubt in my mind that Mason's replacement will be cheaper, but I am sure there will be discussions on if he is better or not coming.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So if I do my math right, in the playoffs, he is perfect on XPA's (59/59) as well as from 40 on in (19/19) and 7 of 10 from 40+ yards in the playoffs, with 2 of those misses being 50 or beyond? I would say that is pretty clutch kicking in the playoffs?

After this year, I understand why people want to move on from Crosby, but I also think people shouldn't expect to have 100% assurance of the next guy being better or worse, just cheaper. The position has always been a crap shoot and there are other factors that I am sure the Packers have taken into consideration when looking at everyone of his misses (weather, snap, hold, etc.).

No doubt in my mind that Mason's replacement will be cheaper, but I am sure there will be discussions on if he is better or not coming.

Good kickers are hard to come by. Crosby is far from perfect, but he's better than most.

I'd hang onto him awhile. My two cents.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Good kickers are hard to come by. Crosby is far from perfect, but he's better than most.

I'd hang onto him awhile. My two cents.

The Steelers (Chris Boswell) and Panthers (Graham Gano) are probably facing the same decision as the Packers will be at the end of the year. Boswell despite being paid $4.2M is having an awful season and Gano ($4.25M) has missed some clutch kicks as well.

I've said this the last few years, but this year kind of swayed my opinion that it might be time to move on. If the goal is just to save money, then a much cheaper option can always be found. But I think its a crap shoot if that option will be better or worse than Crosby has been. Using hind site, I am sure someone can go back and see where paying a lot of money has worked out and where paying very little has worked too.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I fully expect the Packers to go on a search for a new kicker. Why wouldn’t they?

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts