Malcolm Butler

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Malcolm Butler is apparently asking teams to submit an offer sheet for him. It would likely cost Gilmore type money and a first. Would you be up for it? He has been better than Gilmore and we have the cap space. Would TT being willing to part with a first as well?

D

Deleted member 6794

Malcolm Butler is apparently asking teams to submit an offer sheet for him. It would likely cost Gilmore type money and a first. Would you be up for it? He has been better than Gilmore and we have the cap space. Would TT being willing to part with a first as well?

I would be in favor of either trading a first rounder to the Patriots or sign Butler to an offer sheet to acquire him.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Absolutely not.

Butler has been very good in NE. But I don't trust a small, slow corner to continue that level of play without BB. I highly doubt he's the same player somewhere else.

So when you consider that he would cost the Packers a 1st round pick AND a mega contract... lolno, I say. That's craziness.

OP
OP
B

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be in favor of both. Butler is one of the best cbs in football. Losing a first is worth it to me. I know the contract is high but it is high at a position of importance and great need and our young cbs could grow in better roles. We still have enough picks to fill other spots. I get the value of a first round pick is they are cheap but this would be a time to gamble in my mind

ChicagoPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Patriots elected to go get Gilmore to replace Butler next year because he'll be commanding elite money. So we make no pursuit on Gilmore only to give his lesser the same contract and our first round pick?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Trouble with reading comprehension??? I posted that I'm in favor of either trading for Butler or signing him to an offer sheet.

It's not an either/or. If you want him, he costs both the pick and the contract.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Patriots elected to go get Gilmore to replace Butler next year because he'll be commanding elite money. So we make no pursuit on Gilmore only to give his lesser the same contract and our first round pick?

I don't expect Thompson to make a move for Butler but there aren't any elite cornerbacks in free agency available anymore.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's not an either/or. If you want him, he costs both the pick and the contract.

It's an either/or as trading for a player or signing him to an offer sheet are two completely different transactions.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It's an either/or as trading for a player or signing him to an offer sheet are two completely different transactions.

You're not acquiring him without doing both the contract and the pick trade. That's not an either/or.

D

Deleted member 6794

You're not acquiring him without doing both the contract and the pick trade. That's not an either/or.

Thompson trading for Butler means he would have to work out a deal with the Patriots which could result ending up being a different package than a first rounder.

By signing him to an offer sheet New England could match it and keep him. The Packers would have to give up a first round pick if Belichick decides to let him walk.

It's pretty obvious those are two different scenarios.

OP
OP
B

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score

So we could trade for butler with no guarantee we will sign him or sign him to an offer sheet and lose the first round pick.? Is that right? It seems like you would want the guarantee he would sign long term if you do the first option

D

Deleted member 6794

So we could trade for butler with no guarantee we will sign him or sign him to an offer sheet and lose the first round pick.? Is that right? It seems like you would want the guarantee he would sign long term if you do the first option

The Packers would for sure talk to Butler's agent about a long term contract before agreeing to trade for him.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Thompson trading for Butler means he would have to work out a deal with the Patriots which could result ending up being a different package than a first rounder.

By signing him to an offer sheet New England could match it and keep him. The Packers would have to give up a first round pick if Belichick decides to let him walk.

It's pretty obvious those are two different scenarios.

So you're envisioning a scenario where NE opts to trade him for less than a 1st round pick? What would you expect to get him for?

D

Deleted member 6794

So you're envisioning a scenario where NE opts to trade him for less than a 1st round pick? What would you expect to get him for?

It's possible the Patriots would agree to trade Butler for a package of picks not including a first rounder or might be interested in another player from the Packers.

OP
OP
B

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers would for sure talk to Butler's agent about a long term contract before agreeing to trade for him.

I am someone who loves picks but at this point this team has a couple holes and Butler would fill the biggest. One more pass rusher, a guard, a rb and one more cb and the Packers are in great shape. Some of those could definitely come via the draft

D

Deleted member 6794

I am someone who loves picks but at this point this team has a couple holes and Butler would fill the biggest. One more pass rusher, a guard, a rb and one more cb and the Packers are in great shape. Some of those could definitely come via the draft

I agree that running back, guard and cornerback depth should be addressed through the draft. The Packers are still in need of veteran help at CB and OLB though.

OP
OP
B

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that running back, guard and cornerback depth should be addressed through the draft. The Packers are still in need of veteran help at CB and OLB though.

Would you say they need a veteran cb if they got butler?

At Olb i figured with Perry and clay they won't spend a ton more there. Would datone Jones on a small one year deal be enough?

D

Deleted member 6794

Would you say they need a veteran cb if they got butler?

At Olb i figured with Perry and clay they won't spend a ton more there. Would datone Jones on a small one year deal be enough?

If the Packers acquire Butler there's no need for another veteran cornerback. In my opinion the team needs to add more veteran talent at outside linebacker even with Perry having been re-signed.

OP
OP
B

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers acquire Butler there's no need for another veteran cornerback. In my opinion the team needs to add more veteran talent at outside linebacker even with Perry having been re-signed.

But Connor barwin is not that guy for you. For me if the Packers landed barwin and Butler I would be ecstatic with our off season

D

Deleted member 6794

But Connor barwin is not that guy for you. For me if the Packers landed barwin and Butler I would be ecstatic with our off season

To be fair there aren't a lot of decent edge rushers available in free agency anymore. Jarvis Jones or Alex Okafor might present viable options.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If he can really be had for a reasonable trade price, then it's a different story. But I'm highly skeptical of his ability to be a top corner outside of NE. The coach he's playing for now is the best in the business at putting players in position to succeed. If a team lands him and sticks him on #1 wideouts in man coverage and let's him go, I would bet on significant regression. It's telling that NE wasn't willing to offer him big money, especially now that they paid Gilmore so handsomely.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
To be fair there aren't a lot of decent edge rushers available in free agency anymore. Jarvis Jones or Alex Okafor might present viable options.

Barwin is a more effective and versatile player than either. He might not be a 900 snap guy anymore, but I'd bet on him being very effective in a rotation with a rookie and/or Fackrell.