Malcolm Butler

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be fine with trading a first round pick to the Patriots for Butler but not for signing him to a one year contract. The Packers would have to sign him to a long term deal for it to make sense.

I would agree. However, I'm not sure the market at least this year is going to be very kind to Butler. Returning to NE on a 3.9 million tender is his choice. However, coming to Green Bay, elevating the defense, and competing as a possible No.1 corner would enhance his future earnings; either with Green Bay or elsewhere. He'll get a bump in pay and possibly receive more appreciation than he's currently getting in NE. Money is important, but players also want to feel wanted and integral to their team's success; let's not discount that.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would agree. However, I'm not sure the market at least this year is going to be very kind to Butler. Returning to NE on a 3.9 million tender is his choice. However, coming to Green Bay, elevating the defense, and competing as a possible No.1 corner would enhance his future earnings; either with Green Bay or elsewhere. He'll get a bump in pay and possibly receive more appreciation than he's currently getting in NE. Money is important, but players also want to feel wanted and integral to their team's success; let's not discount that.

Butler will already get offered more than $10 million a season on a long term contract this time around. He doesn't have to sign a prove it deal.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Butler will already get offered more than $10 million a season on a long term contract this time around. He doesn't have to sign a prove it deal.

He wants more than 10 million. Gilmore got more. Butler is better than Gilmore. However, with the draft top heavy with corners, the market, this off season may not yield the money Butler wants; which is more than Gilmore's contract.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
These are the times when I have to laugh at players and contracts. Of course Butler wants more, but the contract he signed allows the Patriots to do what they did and entitles him to $3.91M. Is he worth more? Of course he is, but that isn't what his contract says. If Butler plays one snap and gets injured, will he go back to the Patriots and say "What do I owe you, I didn't earn my contract"? If every player is allowed to rework their contract and get paid based on their "now" market value, why even have contracts? I didn't see Sam Shields or Clay Matthews writing a check out to the Packers after this season.

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we're trading a #1 I'd rather get an impact pass rusher, that makes every DB better.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I cannot believe there are people advocating trading a 1st for one year of Butler. Good grief. Chances of that happening are zero--by the Packers or any other team. If a team trades a high pick for Butler they are extending him from the start.

D

Deleted member 6794

If we're trading a #1 I'd rather get an impact pass rusher, that makes every DB better.

A team needs cornerbacks capable of covering opposing receivers at least for two seconds for the pass rush to have a chance to put pressure on quarterbacks. Unfortunately the Packers didn't have such CBs last season.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
The only thing I can think is there still a plan in the works or that there is a corner in the draft that they feel real real good about.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Furthermore no "blue chip" corner will be available in the late 1st round, let alone late 2nd.
You mean no UDFAs like Sam Shields, Malcom Butler, AJ Bouye? Or depending on your definition of "late 1st round" Vontae Davis, Xavier Rhodes, Artie Burns.
I won't even bring up after the first round draft picks Josh Norman, Casey Hayward, Richard Sherman, and a host of others.
Get off the sky is falling kick already.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's a good CB but he's not amazing or anything. Better than all our CB's though.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You mean no UDFAs like Sam Shields, Malcom Butler, AJ Bouye? Or depending on your definition of "late 1st round" Vontae Davis, Xavier Rhodes, Artie Burns.
I won't even bring up after the first round draft picks Josh Norman, Casey Hayward, Richard Sherman, and a host of others.
Get off the sky is falling kick already.

Artie Burns? Lol. Everyone on your list took 2+ years to develop and not one of them were rookie starters. History/hindsight is always 20/20. Packers should be in win now mode, grab some more veteran CBs or trade up in the draft and get an immediate contributor/starter. Davon House is not enough. If House was so good, TT would've re-signed him. Also, what if Rollins and/or Randle get hurt again? Gunter? We need more depth in the secondary.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
OK so name 5 out of the gate rookie CBs that didn't have growing pains from the past 12 years. I understand the need for veteran CB but that don't look to be happening.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no way in hell I see TT giving up a 1st rounder and then signing Malcolm Butler for around 10 million. I think Ted would have a heart attack just thinking about that.

D

Deleted member 6794

Artie Burns? Lol. Everyone on your list took 2+ years to develop and not one of them were rookie starters. History/hindsight is always 20/20. Packers should be in win now mode, grab some more veteran CBs or trade up in the draft and get an immediate contributor/starter. Davon House is not enough. If House was so good, TT would've re-signed him. Also, what if Rollins and/or Randle get hurt again? Gunter? We need more depth in the secondary.

I agree that the Packers should have signed a veteran cornerback other than House but nearly all of the players Poppa mentioned started several games as a rookie and performed at least on a decent level.

It's possible to select a perimeter CB capable of having an immediate impact although I admit it's difficult to achieve.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK so name 5 out of the gate rookie CBs that didn't have growing pains from the past 12 years. I understand the need for veteran CB but that don't look to be happening.

1) Marcus Peters
2) Patrick Peterson
3) Aqib Talib
4) Dominic Rodgers-Cromartie
5) Darelle Revis

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no way in hell I see TT giving up a 1st rounder and then signing Malcolm Butler for around 10 million. I think Ted would have a heart attack just thinking about that.

All the more reason to consider another GM with fresher eyes and the ability to adapt to changes in the market and trends in the league.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

1) Marcus Peters
2) Patrick Peterson
3) Aqib Talib
4) Dominic Rodgers-Cromartie
5) Darelle Revis

Ok, now name 5 out of the gate rookie CB's that were drafted #29 or later. Those 5 were all first round picks, I believe #20 (Talib) or less.

I just don't really have a lot of confidence that the Packers are going to be finding an out of the gate #1 CB for 2017 via the draft. Which should have been known by TT back in January.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I believe Marcus Peters led the league in yards allowed as a rookie.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe Marcus Peters led the league in yards allowed as a rookie.

I know Peters led the league in interceptions that year. Also didn't have Eric Berry that year cleaning up things on the back end. Marcus Peters was the 2015 Defensive Rookie of the Year.

#bewarethealternativefacts

Last edited:

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't really have a lot of confidence that the Packers are going to be finding an out of the gate #1 CB for 2017 via the draft. Which should have been known by TT back in January.

All the more reason to make an offer for Butler and give up that 29th pick. Or trade up into the Top 15 of this year's draft.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Butler is not worth a first round pick, he is really not that good. Clearly, if he was that good, BB would never get rid of him. At the beginning of the season they had Butler match up against Antonio Brown in the first half of the game. Antonio Brown went 9/9 with 97 yards up against Butler, then they bracketed him in a zone with Logan Ryan and Chung/McCourtey. That is the only #1 receiver that is actually good that Butler matched up against. He was up against Gabriel in the Super Bowl, he broke his ankles and went for 97 yards (a #3 WR). He was up against Eli Rodgers in the AFC Championship and he broke 80 yards. This season the Patriots only played three good QBs (Rothlesburger, Matt Ryan and Russell Wilson). Only two of those teams have an amazing receiver for the package. Watch what happens when NO has him matchuped up again Julio Jones twice next year, and Kelvin Benjamin, and Mike Evans, Jordy Nelson, OBJ, and Alshon Jeffery...

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
You think NO would learn their lesson?
They will be getting rid of their best player (which WILL hurt their offense) and overpaying for another DB. Fine by me though, because we will see them this year in the regular season and not the Patriots.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They will be getting rid of their best player (which WILL hurt their offense) and overpaying for another DB. Fine by me though, because we will see them this year in the regular season and not the Patriots.

Their best player is still on the team. His name is Drew...Drew Brees. He is their offense.

Members online

Latest posts