Malcolm Butler

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Butler is going to be the most overpaid CB in the NFL. He genuinely is not that good. If you watched Pats game this year, he was never on the #1 receiver. I know everyone saw his ankles get broken by a rookie in the Super Bowl. He belongs on a team like the Browns that will pay him Josh Norman money for Tramon Williams production.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
It's telling that NE wasn't willing to offer him big money, especially now that they paid Gilmore so handsomely.
I don't recall TT handing RFA's big money contracts either. They usually need to be heading towards UFA at the end of their rookie deals before he opens the checkbook. Maybe in their last year he might sign them early if he fears them leaving or getting big $$$$ offers if they get to FA.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
BB has nothing to lose with the game he is playing with Butler. If nobody bites and gives up a 1st round, Butler is a cheap CB for the Patriots next year ($3.9M). IF someone does bite, BB can always take the pick or pay Butler. Now this doesn't say anything about how this "game" effects Butler, other Patriots players or their fans feelings toward the way BB and the Patriots play the non-friendly business side of contracts.

http://nep.247sports.com/Bolt/Patriots-may-have-misled-Malcolm-Butler-during-contract-talks-51754723

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am someone who loves picks but at this point this team has a couple holes and Butler would fill the biggest. One more pass rusher, a guard, a rb and one more cb and the Packers are in great shape. Some of those could definitely come via the draft

Sign Butler. Use draft for the aforementioned pass rushers, RB, guards, and maybe Sidney Jones. Jones may fall because of injury. Let him rest. Get some mental reps. He can learn the system (Dom Capers is not going anywhere) and the Packers are set at a position of need.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I would do it. 29th pick and actually sign a young veteran with Super Bowl winning experience. Why the hell not?

Well because, in my opinion, you'd be dramatically overpaying for a guy who is likely to regress once he leaves New England.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Butler is in negotiations with New Orleans. So much for the Pack getting him. However, TT signed a retread House.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The signing of House today solidified, at least in my mind, TT and the Packers are not going after Butler. Not to mention, had they really been interested in finding a guy like Butler, there were other options that wouldn't have costed them a #1 pick. Just not a move I see TT making (even before today).

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our secondary is a huge disaster, failure, bottom of the NFL barrel and TT signs a journeyman. The draft isn't gonna help at all.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Lol. Butler is a star. But that is your opinion.

I guess if/when he leaves, we will get to see. I think it's telling that they are willing to trade him and gave the mega contract to a different corner.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess if/when he leaves, we will get to see. I think it's telling that they are willing to trade him and gave the mega contract to a different corner.

They are trying to trade Butler to get value back. Immediate value. He leaves in free agency and the compensatory draft pick will more than likely be a fourth round pick not a third. Trading Butler, then New England will make sure they get a first rounder. They gave that big contract to Gilmore, because he's young with potential. Also, they poached him from a division rival. NE got smoked by Atlanta's receivers last year in the Super Bowl. BB wants big physical corners for Brady's curtain call. Butler is smaller, but he has great technique. He would match up well against shifty receivers in the NFC NORTH. House covers X receivers. Butler covers Y. Randall and Rollins cover the inside. Draft Sidney Jones for the future. Solidify the secondary.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
They are trying to trade Butler to get value back. Immediate value. He leaves in free agency and the compensatory draft pick will more than likely be a fourth round pick not a third. Trading Butler, then New England will make sure they get a first rounder. They gave that big contract to Gilmore, because he's young with potential. Also, they poached him from a division rival. NE got smoked by Atlanta's receivers last year in the Super Bowl. BB wants big physical corners for Brady's curtain call. Butler is smaller, but he has great technique. He would match up well against shifty receivers in the NFC NORTH. House covers X receivers. Butler covers Y. Randall and Rollins cover the inside. Draft Sidney Jones for the future. Solidify the secondary.

Maybe you're right. But I'm more suspicious that NE knows that Butler, while good in his own right, is made to look better by the coaching and system. He's both small and slow, and BB is better than anyone at putting limited players in position to succeed. If they viewed him as the elite corner he's perceived as on the outside, you'd think they would pay him rather than pick up someone else and try to trade him. There's no doubt that he would help the Packers in a vacuum, but my guess is that whoever pays the Patriots' asking price will get fleeced.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe you're right. But I'm more suspicious that NE knows that Butler, while good in his own right, is made to look better by the coaching and system. He's both small and slow, and BB is better than anyone at putting limited players in position to succeed. If they viewed him as the elite corner he's perceived as on the outside, you'd think they would pay him rather than pick up someone else and try to trade him. There's no doubt that he would help the Packers in a vacuum, but my guess is that whoever pays the Patriots' asking price will get fleeced.

Butler is signed to a restricted free agent tender, because he has one year left on his rookie deal. NE will receive the first round pick of the team that signs Butler. If I was TT, I would give up that 29th pick in a heartbeat. What CB in this draft is better than Butler? Hell, sign Butler to a 1 year 7 million contract. Put him in the slot. House on the outside. Randle and Rollins cover bigger receivers, let Butler handle dime/zone coverage. He succeeds, consider long term. He doesn't, get a beloved compensatory pick. Green Bay has the money. Draft is deep with quality DBs, grab another later in the draft. Or trade up in the draft and grab Awuze from Colorado, that's the only corner I would do that for.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Malcolm Butler is apparently asking teams to submit an offer sheet for him. It would likely cost Gilmore type money and a first. Would you be up for it? He has been better than Gilmore and we have the cap space. Would TT being willing to part with a first as well?

Do it. It's the 28th-29th pick..he's going to the Saints tho because they're not obsessed with keeping draft picks.

D

Deleted member 6794

Butler is signed to a restricted free agent tender, because he has one year left on his rookie deal. NE will receive the first round pick of the team that signs Butler. If I was TT, I would give up that 29th pick in a heartbeat. What CB in this draft is better than Butler? Hell, sign Butler to a 1 year 7 million contract. Put him in the slot. House on the outside. Randle and Rollins cover bigger receivers, let Butler handle dime/zone coverage. He succeeds, consider long term. He doesn't, get a beloved compensatory pick. Green Bay has the money. Draft is deep with quality DBs, grab another later in the draft. Or trade up in the draft and grab Awuze from Colorado, that's the only corner I would do that for.

The Packers would need to play Butler on the outside though as that is currently the team's biggest weakness.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score

So we're trading our first only to sign him to a one year deal?

On this list of scenerios I don't want to play out this is one of them

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The question isn't what corner prospect is better than Butler right now. It's whether Butler is worth the 29th pick plus a big contract. Because the 29th pick will be super cheap for four years.

So this is the choice you're making with the pick:

27 year old Malcolm Butler for ~4/48.

Or

22 year old Gareon Conley (to pick a name) for ~4/8.

The only way I do that is if I'm convinced the older, more expensive player is going to be an absolute stud. I'm not convinced that Butler will be that guy outside of New England.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The question isn't what corner prospect is better than Butler right now. It's whether Butler is worth the 29th pick plus a big contract. Because the 29th pick will be super cheap for four years.

So this is the choice you're making with the pick:

27 year old Malcolm Butler for ~4/48.

Or

22 year old Gareon Conley (to pick a name) for ~4/8.

The only way I do that is if I'm convinced the older, more expensive player is going to be an absolute stud. I'm not convinced that Butler will be that guy outside of New England.

I think you have been studying Bill Belichick's notes ;)

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So we're trading our first only to sign him to a one year deal?

On this list of scenerios I don't want to play out this is one of them

Why not? How did other first round picks the last few years pan out? Too many Packers fans thinking like TT, and not like Belichick. Furthermore no "blue chip" corner will be available in the late 1st round, let alone late 2nd. Its a one year deal! The money is available. Its not my money and not not yours. Packer's fan...Do you really wanna win or look good losing?

D

Deleted member 6794

Why not? How did other first round picks the last few years pan out? Too many Packers fans thinking like TT, and not like Belichick. Furthermore no "blue chip" corner will be available in the late 1st round, let alone late 2nd. Its a one year deal! The money is available. Its not my money and not not yours. Packer's fan...Do you really wanna win or look good losing?

I would be fine with trading a first round pick to the Patriots for Butler but not for signing him to a one year contract. The Packers would have to sign him to a long term deal for it to make sense.

Members online

Latest posts