HardRightEdge

Nelson
Cobb
Boykin
Adams
White
Janis

I like it.

I've kind of given up on Harper and his inconsistent hands. Dorsey had a big drop today. Gillett is just trying to make the wrong team.
So far, that looks to be the deal. The other guys keep dropping balls.

Speaking of which, Flynn showed some of his rediscovered arm strength on that toss Shepard dropped near the goal line. That pass had some zip.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
So far, that looks to be the deal. The other guys keep dropping balls.

Speaking of which, Flynn showed some of his rediscovered arm strength on that toss Shepard dropped near the goal line. That pass had some zip.

Yeah, we would of scored more points today with Flynn in earlier. Tolzien is just to inconsistent for me.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.packersnews.com/story/spo.../?sf29910081=1

Janis in fact might be the Packers' fastest receiver. At the NFL scouting combine he ran the 40 in 4.41 seconds, which is a hair faster than the 4.42 White reportedly ran at his campus workout at Louisiana Tech in 2013, and faster than the combine times of Randall Cobb (4.46) and Jordy Nelson (4.51).

"V12, like the engine," Adams said. "You've got the V6, the Honda Accord. You've got the V8 Porsche. And then you've got the V12 (Lamborghini), and that's him."

When asked if Janis is the team's fastest receiver, Nelson said: "Probably. I'm not even going to try to fight for that anymore.
Who else was on the Janis bandwagon with me back in February, March, April?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Janis and Adams are going to surpass Boykin on the depth chart sooner than later wait and see. Boykins is an ok possession wr but i don't get excited about him. He'd make a nice tightend however :)

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, everything else aside, this maybe the deepest our WR core has ever been.

Reaction score
http://www.packersnews.com/story/spo.../?sf29910081=1

Who else was on the Janis bandwagon with me back in February, March, April?
:tup: me! With Abbrederis out, it's pretty obvious that Janis will get some play time... And with those combine numbers, he's a physical beast.

If you watch on that touchdown by Janis, you can see he is slower off the line than Cobb but faster 30 yards down the field. Feels like a good season for YAC!

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hell, Frank. I was driving the damn thing.
Jerry Rice played against inferior competition in the early 80's at Mississippi Valley State.
So did Donald at Alcorn St. Terrell Owens at Tennessee Chattanooga.

Janis dominated as much as they all did (Rice better numbers as MVS was all pass offense), and then JJ backed it up with top-3 WR numbers at the combine. Plus no character issues like many diva WRs from big schools, who "look" the part more.

I just can't figure out why Janis could have possibly have dropped to a 7th round pick.

OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jerry Rice played against inferior competition in the early 80's at Mississippi Valley State.
So did Donald at Alcorn St. Terrell Owens at Tennessee Chattanooga.

Janis dominated as much as they all did (Rice better numbers as MVS was all pass offense), and then JJ backed it up with top-3 WR numbers at the combine. Plus no character issues like many diva WRs from big schools, who "look" the part more.

I just can't figure out why Janis could have possibly have dropped to a 7th round pick.
Because that's where D-II players get drafted, Frank. Especially ones who went to 1A high schools.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because that's where D-II players get drafted, Frank. Especially ones who went to 1A high schools.
Gosh you would think the NFL genius scouts, with their stop-watches, their 100-question psychological profile, their jump charts, their shuttles, cone drills, senior bowl practices, etc. they'd see that it doesn't matter sometime where they play, or who they play against, in college.

Anyway, the systematic discrimination is our gain on this one. We'll take him.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hell, Frank. I was driving the damn thing.

Cough Cough...don't want to say I told you so...buuuuuut...

I am a realist and know that one game, pre-season at that, doesn't make a stud. BUT, this kid showed up last night and "the moment" didn't look to big for him in any single way. The TD catch speaks for itself as that was a simple case of catch me if you can and we saw how that ended for the defense. Kid has that "other" gear that you were either born with or not. When you have a guy like Torry Holt basically say good luck sneaking him on the PS that should serve a huge reminder that kids like JJ simply don't fly under the radar. As I mentioned in one of my numerous posts in this thread Janis has the skill set of a top 20 pick and he displayed a touch of that talent last night in STL. Now from a returner aspect I thought he looked smooth as could be. The fair catch in traffic was the proper play and also impressive as he looked as if he were on the practice field with nobody around him rather than the eye of the storm.
As a few others have commented there will be some bumps along the way but that is just part of the process and every single player in the league goes through ups and downs veterans included. I feel very confident in standing by my day one prediction that JJ has the skill set to be a match-up nightmare and a more than occasional contributor this season. I am going to be very interested in how he is used in this upcoming, all-important Week 3 pre-season game. I hope he gets a chance to work a little with 12 as I for one feel very comfortable with our top 3 (87, 18 and 11) and would love to see Adams, JJ and White get some work against opposing ones. Also, if he handles the PR's smoothly again he may have won himself that job as well. Bottom line is we should all be happy that be it boom or bust we have first dibs at this explosive athlete and as I have been saying since day one I am all in on V12! Vroom vroom JJ, vroom vroom...

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Garcon was a 6th round d3 pick
Cecil Shorts 4th round from same d3 school as Garcon
I think that CB the lions took from d3 albion was a really high pick...maybe 2nd round. I dont think he has done anything for them though.

D

Deleted member 6794

And those scouting reports are inconsistent. You have one saying "doesn't get in and out of breaks well" and another saying "shifts his momentum well with smooth footwork in/out of his breaks." Which is it? You have one report stating, "lacks suddenness in space to create much separation" and another saying, "Accelerates into routes quickly and can separate vertically." Which is it? Point is, the people who make these reports aren't NFL scouts. They're media clowns like Mel Kiper who are tasked with a time-table to have something to print.

Let's put it that way, NFL GMs didn't think he was better than a 7th-round pick.

Because you acknowledged that he was superior to his D-II competition, meaning he should have been playing D-I.

I'm convinced he should have played D-I football, that doesn't mean though he'll be an NFL superstar.

D

Deleted member 6794

That was a nifty catch and run. It think that play was drawn up for him...it looked to me like a fake screen with Janis on a chip and release out of the slot away from pursuit.

Flynn said after the game that Janis was the 2nd read on that play.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't want to take away anything from Janis as he made a nice catch and showed tremendous speed after it but if one of our DBs makes a similar mistake as the Rams safety made on that playwe would want him fired before the end of the game.

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he's climbing up the depth chart someone needs to tell McCarthy. He does look like a steal though.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he's climbing up the depth chart someone needs to tell McCarthy. He does look like a steal though.

As stubborn as MM can be at times he's no fool. If Janis continues to make plays he will see his share of snaps in the regular season especially if he's outplaying Adams and Boykin.There's no guarantee Jordy won't have his yearly hamstring flare ups so were going to need another playmaker wr along with Cobb. The more weapons for #12 the better.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

If he is climbing up the depth chart, wouldnt MM be aware, because he probably finalizes the depth chart?

OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's put it that way, NFL GMs didn't think he was better than a 7th-round pick.

What's your point? They didn't think Driver was either. Or Wes Welker (who wasn't drafted). Or Marques Colston. Or Shannon Sharpe.

OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't want to take away anything from Janis as he made a nice catch and showed tremendous speed after it but if one of our DBs makes a similar mistake as the Rams safety made on that playwe would want him fired before the end of the game.

The reason he made that mistake was because Janis came out as if to block and he sold it so well that the guy tried to jump to the outside.

BTW, he didn't just beat the one guy. He beat the entire defense around the corner, and I'm pretty sure none of those guys were DII players.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts