Looks like Janis is already seperating himself from the pack

D

Deleted member 6794

What's your point? They didn't think Driver was either. Or Wes Welker (who wasn't drafted). Or Marques Colston. Or Shannon Sharpe.

What's your point??? They didn't think Tim Alexander, Sulecio Sanford, Darnell McDonald, Sean Morey and Rondel Menendez were either.

OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no guarantee Jordy won't have his yearly hamstring flare ups

You must be thinking of Matthews. Jordy has only missed 7 games in 6 years and he played 16 games in 4 of those seasons.

OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's your point??? They didn't think Tim Alexander, Sulecio Sanford, Darnell McDonald, Sean Morey and Rondel Menendez were either.

Obviously, my point was that guys get underestimated by scouts all the time. I thought it was clear enough a monkey could see it.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Janis has two more games to show his stuff. I know it was only one play but you can't teach speed. Unless he starts dropping everything in sight I can't imagine how he doesn't make the 53. With that demonstration of speed no way the Packers could stash him on the practice squad nor should they.

D

Deleted member 6794

Obviously, my point was that guys get underestimated by scouts all the time. I thought it was clear enough a monkey could see it.

And my point is that most receivers drafted in the seventh round don't make an impact in the league. The guys I mentioned above were drafted in the same year as Driver, three of them never played a single game in the NFL, one of them had nine career receptions the other had 11. While there are exceptions there are at least 10 other guys not making it for every guy who does.

I thought it was clear enough you could see it.

OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought it was clear enough you could see it.

What's clear is that for some reason, you have a big problem with the kid. I don't know. Did he shoot your dog or something? I suspect the real reason is because you're cheering hard for him to fail because you'd rather be right about him being a worthless scrub than to see him make the team. Does that about sum it up?

D

Deleted member 6794

What's clear is that for some reason, you have a big problem with the kid. I don't know. Did he shoot your dog or something? I suspect the real reason is because you're cheering hard for him to fail because you'd rather be right about him being a worthless scrub than to see him make the team. Does that about sum it up?

You're completely wrong. I don't have any problem with Janis, I would love him to beat the odds and become an impact receiver for the Packers after being a 7th-round pick. I don't give a damn about being right as the only thing I'm interested in is the Packers being successful.

Your affection for Janis is getting stranger with every single post though.

OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're completely wrong. I don't have any problem with Janis and I would love him to beat the odds and become an impact receiver for the Packers after being a 7th-round pick.

Wait a sec... I thought you were arguing him being a long-shot just to make the roster. Now you've raised the bar to "impact player?" Seems you're starting to recognize that he IS, in fact, separating himself from the pack.

Your affection for Janis is getting stranger with every single post though.
LOL... I simply recognize talent when I see it. I'm not the only one either.

D

Deleted member 6794

Wait a sec... I thought you were arguing him being a long-shot just to make the roster. Now you've raised the bar to "impact player?" Seems you're starting to recognize that he IS, in fact, separating himself from the pack.

Geez, would you please actually read the stuff you respond to. I said I would love to see him turning into an impact player not that I expect him to.

LOL... I simply recognize talent when I see it. I'm not the only one either.

IMO it is presumptuous of someone thinking he's better at evaluating talent than 32 NFL GMs and their scouts after watching a 45 minute YouTube video.

OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO it is presumptuous of someone thinking he's better at evaluating talent than 32 NFL GMs and their scouts after watching a 45 minute YouTube video.

Now you're making stuff up. I never said I was better at identifying talent than NFL GMs - only that I'm better at it than you in this case. If TT didn't think Janis had a shot at making the team, he wouldn't have drafted him at all. Therefore, simple deductive reasoning concludes that he saw it too.

BTW, tell me. Where do you put Janis on a ranked list of all WRs on our roster?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I’m a big fan of every Packers draftee, UDFA, waiver wire and trade acquisition. I may think one is a better fit than another or has a better chance but I spend very little time attempting to evaluate potential and actual draftees. And even if I spent as much time as some of you, I would realize that NFL scouts and some others in personnel departments spend exponentially more time and have access to a lot more information.

IMO the reason Janis fell so far in the draft is because it takes a lot more than “measurables” to succeed in the NFL, even great measurables. And that “more” is what is so difficult to project to the NFL. Here’s what the combine section of the nfl website wrote were Janis’ weaknesses: “Has very small, inconsistent hands - will cradle the ball and use his body. Is not a nuanced route runner. Does not attack the ball in the air and will give up some break points. Not strong after the catch and will look for a soft landing spot. Can be fazed by traffic. Regularly faced Division II competition. Not a consistent blocker - does not play to his size.” And here’s their bottom line: “A Division II standout with rare measurables and production, Janis must prove that he can translate his small-school success to the field against better competition.” So it was more than just the level of competition according to whoever wrote this analysis.

OTOH, this was noted in his strengths: “Exceptional work ethic. Outstanding football character. Very passionate about the game.” Of course they also mention his production (vs. the competition he faced) as a strength, but those characteristics have nothing to do with the competition and if true, also speak well for his prospects.

I hope Janis becomes the greatest WR in NFL history, because he’s a Packer. Even if some dislocate their shoulders patting themselves on the back claiming they “knew” on draft day. Because of course they didn’t know – they just had a feeling, or thought he had a good chance, or were filled with optimism because he was picked by the Packers. But their livelihood wasn’t on the line and if they were wrong it would be quickly forgotten. It looks to me like the people whose livelihoods were on the line downgraded him for reasons beyond the level of competition he faced in college. But because the "more" (beyond measurables) is so difficult to assess, we can all rattle off first round failures and late round greats.

D

Deleted member 6794

Now you're making stuff up. I never said I was better at identifying talent than NFL GMs - only that I'm better at it than you in this case. If TT didn't think Janis had a shot at making the team, he wouldn't have drafted him at all. Therefore, simple deductive reasoning concludes that he saw it too.

BTW, tell me. Where do you put Janis on a ranked list of all WRs on our roster?

You think it is a given he will make this team and claim to have known about it shortly after the Packers drafted him. If Thompson would have thought as highly of him as well he would have picked him earlier than the seventh round. So you while you're not saying directly you knew more about him than Thompson you're implying it.

I think Janis is in a battle for the fifth spot on the depth chart at the moment with White and Dorsey and if he can continue to make plays over the next two weeks he will make the team, especially if he proves to be an adequate punt returner.

OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You think it is a given he will make this team and claim to have known about it shortly after the Packers drafted him.

No, I knew he had a GOOD SHOT at making the team. Not the same thing.

If Thompson would have thought as highly of him as well he would have picked him earlier than the seventh round.

Not if he thought the kid would continue dropping. The draft is a game in itself.

So you while you're not saying directly you knew more about him than Thompson you're implying it.

No, I'm not. I haven't said anything about Ted not recognizing the talent Janis has.

I think Janis is in a battle for the fifth spot on the depth chart at the moment with White and Dorsey and if he can continue to make plays over the next two weeks he will make the team, especially if he proves to be an adequate punt returner.

Well, White and Dorsey both dropped very catchable balls the other night, so I think they took a step back while Janis clearly took a step forward. If Janis drops some in the next game and White and Dorsey make big plays, they might jump ahead of him. But I think White is what he is. This is his second camp. Anyway, see ya... off to work.:coffee:

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to derail the thread, but he looks better than Adams so far. And yes I know Adams has been dinged up.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just some perspective on how freaky you have to be to get into the league. Janis has 9" hands and scouts knock him for having "small hands." That's crazy to me. I'm 6'1" and have just under 7" hands. I can hold/catch/throw a pro ball no problem and this guy has a full 2" advantage on me and they are considered small. Yes I am on JJ'S side so this may sound slanted but if one of the major knocks on the kid is hand size I think he's gonna be juuuust fine. Not knocking the scouts analysis or the poster who quoted him just a comment on how truly special you have to be to get a sniff in the NFL...WOW!

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I think we'll see more expanded looks at Janis in the next two weeks, especially this week with Rodgers.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just some perspective on how freaky you have to be to get into the league. Janis has 9" hands and scouts knock him for having "small hands." That's crazy to me. I'm 6'1" and have just under 7" hands. I can hold/catch/throw a pro ball no problem and this guy has a full 2" advantage on me and they are considered small. Yes I am on JJ'S side so this may sound slanted but if one of the major knocks on the kid is hand size I think he's gonna be juuuust fine.

No way you measured your hands properly, it's from tip of thumb to tip of pinky, not from the base of your hand to the tip of your middle finger. 9" hands are on the smaller side (less than average I would say), even for an average human being. Not to say he cannot catch because of his hands, it is just harder compared to those with larger hands.

If you want to see some freakish hands look up Giannis Antetokoumpo's hands.

H

HardRightEdge

No way you measured your hands properly, it's from tip of thumb to tip of pinky, not from the base of your hand to the tip of your middle finger. 9" hands are on the smaller side (less than average I would say), even for an average human being. Not to say he cannot catch because of his hands, it is just harder compared to those with larger hands.

Mine measure 9" on the button. I wear an XL glove, which is a little tight but stretches to fit fine. XXL is little big.

9" is large among the general population but not among NFL wide receivers.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
GPG and Capt

Why not just see what happens?

He either makes the team and is just ok

Makes the team and is very good

Or doesnt make the team

Leather&Lacy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"I'm 6'1" and have just under 7 hands."

LOL, now that would be funny to see. No way your hands are less than 9 inches if you measure them properly.

Last edited:

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Wow, mine are a tad over 9 1/4, and I'm just under 6'0".
But it hurt to stretch my thumb & pinky that hard to get the measurement LOL

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
To measure your hand like the pros, place your hand palm down on a flat surface and stretch your fingers as far as possible. The measurement is from the outside of your thumb to the outside of your pinky finger.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts