Looks like Janis is already seperating himself from the pack

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Its only one good catch. If thats the case maybe I can attend Packers Training Camp and make a great catch then I make the team and make the mega cash moneies :inlove::rolleyes::tup::laugh:

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so 50 posts about one good catch in practice by a guy how missed the first week of training camp. Now after the first preseason game how many more posts talking about his excellent play? That's right 0, why? Because he never took a snap in the preseason game! So again, we talkin bout practice?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
so 50 posts about one good catch in practice by a guy how missed the first week of training camp.
But a lot of those posts were making the point you're making...

H

HardRightEdge

so 50 posts about one good catch in practice by a guy how missed the first week of training camp. Now after the first preseason game how many more posts talking about his excellent play? That's right 0, why? Because he never took a snap in the preseason game! So again, we talkin bout practice?
I'm one of the Janis skeptics, as you may have noted, but to expect a rookie to see the field after less than a week of practice is asking a lot.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Why anoint Janis as the next Jordy Nelson or dismiss him with so little NFL evidence to base an evaluation on? Speaking of evidence, here's a little more:
Rookie seventh-round receiver Jeff Janis continues to impress. Even though he had his first drop of camp on Tuesday in the two-minute drill, Janis made another eye-catching grab, laying out to catch a deep post from Aaron Rodgers during a team period. It followed a one-handed catch for a touchdown last week and a twisting catch in practice on Monday. It has been a remarkable return from shingles, which caused the seventh-round pick from Saginaw Valley State to miss the first seven training camp practices. "Jeff Janis has made a play every day he's been out there," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said after Tuesday's practice. "He made another big play today. He looks good. Hopefully, we can get him fully cleared by the medical staff for Saturday night [against the St. Louis Rams]. I really like what he's done so far."
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/135409/packers-camp-report-day-13

Let's see what he does in the next three pre season games...

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm hoping that he doesn't get put on the PS. With Abbrederis on the IR that's going to make it slightly easier for him to take that #6 spot. Will MM give him a shot at PR or KR? I honestly think another team would take him from the PS if he was placed there, quite a few teams with thin WR corps this year.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm hoping that he doesn't get put on the PS. With Abbrederis on the IR that's going to make it slightly easier for him to take that #6 spot. Will MM give him a shot at PR or KR? I honestly think another team would take him from the PS if he was placed there, quite a few teams with thin WR corps this year.

I don´t know why a lot of you consider it a given some team would pick up Janis from our practice squad. It took 236 picks in the draft until a team took a chance on him, those teams with thin WR corps would have had a chance to take him if they wanted to.

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don´t know why a lot of you consider it a given some team would pick up Janis from our practice squad. It took 236 picks in the draft until a team took a chance on him, those teams with thin WR corps would have had a chance to take him if they wanted to.

I don't consider it a given but it happened last year.

Charles Johnson I believe was another raw prospect we drafted from last year who had turned heads at the combine, ended up on PS and went to the browns. He didn't even practice with us because of injury if I remember correctly. Janis is already starting to turn heads by making plays at practice and if he made it onto the PS I wouldn't be surprised if someone like the Browns in need of WR's would have a look around again.

I'm not sold on guys like Myles White, Kevin Dorsey etc, regardless of the little NFL experience they have.

All opinion though, I could be completely wrong. So could you though.

D

Deleted member 6794

All opinion though, I could be completely wrong. So could you though.

Absolutely. I´m probably wrong more often than I get something right, so Janis would probably be picked off waiver by some team when we try to put him on the practice squad.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not comparing the 2 at all, but saw former UDFA Packer WR Dale Moss at Bear's training camp on Monday. Tall, fast, definitely looks the part of an imposing NFL WR... but still hasn't learned to run routes and create separation. I loved his "measurables" in '12, but doesn't play confidently or aggressively.

Love to see Janis make a splash in the next couple of preseason games and show that he belongs. This WR group has too much talent to bank on "potential" in the #5 or #6 WR spot.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Which teams beside the Browns are thin at WR?

OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm hoping that he doesn't get put on the PS. With Abbrederis on the IR that's going to make it slightly easier for him to take that #6 spot.

I'm not aware that the #5 spot has been spoken for yet.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
J.J.'s raw athletic ability alone will warrant a long look from McCarthy and Co. This kid has freak show written all over him and I just can't see them being able to stash him away on the PS. I read earlier in this thread how potential isn't enough to garner one of the top 5-6 spots and in most cases I would tend to agree with this thinking. However, Janis is a specimen that doesn't just appear in the later rounds or UDFA process each year. I am not saying this guy is the next Lynn Swan but he has a pretty rare combination of size and speed that most every team in the league would be more than happy to get their hands on. I for one am hoping he shows well in the next 3 games and also flashes potential on ST's be it returning or at gunner. As soon as we grabbed him in Rd 7 I started researching him and to say I am intrigued by his upside would be a massive understatement. The NFL is a team game many times decided by individual match-ups. Jeff screams mismatch and I hope we are able to harness his freakiness and mold it into a consistent, sure handed speed/size combo the likes 12 has yet to have in his arsenal. Do your thing young Jeffrey, do your thing!!

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just some food for thought here...
Wes Welker: Undrafted
Arian Foster: Undrafted
Priest Holmes: Undrafted
Rod Smith: Undrafted
Jeff Saturday: Undrafted
Kurt Warner: Undrafted
Antonio Gates: Undrafted

I am not saying JJ will be anything like these guys but these dudes above DIDN'T EVEN GET DRAFTED!

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's possible, but so far none of the guys fighting for a roster spot has done anything to warrant a spot on the final 53.
I agree with WIMM. It's a tough call but there is still plenty of pre-season ball left to sort things out. The ONLY way I think they keep 6 is if one of the youngsters really shows up on both receiving and more importantly ST's. Also, I think the final decision will be greatly impacted on how the TE battle ends up. We all know there is a ton of talent on this squad and McCarthy know he needs the absolute best 53 heading into week 1. This weekends game is going to be huge for some of these kids and hopefully one or two of them (Janis fingers crossed!) really step up and make the choice a bit easier!

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
In McGinn’s roster review/guess of final 53 yesterday he lists Jordy, Cobb, and Adams as locks with Boykin as a good bet. He has Janis, White and Dorsey as on the fence and the others as long shots. He writes this in his analysis of the position:
It appeared as if the Packers would keep six for only the second time in 13 years before Abbrederis blew out his knee. Now the guess is five. Janis made a stunningly fast two-week recovery from a bout with shingles and has had an impressive week of practice. He's too big, too fast and too talented to clear waivers. If the Packers want to develop him, they've got to keep him.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...eep-mostly-settled-b99330488z1-271343571.html
So without blatantly saying it, McGinn's guess is Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Boykin, and Janis will be the 5 WRs who make the final roster.

D

Deleted member 6794

In McGinn’s roster review/guess of final 53 yesterday he lists Jordy, Cobb, and Adams as locks with Boykin as a good bet. He has Janis, White and Dorsey as on the fence and the others as long shots. He writes this in his analysis of the position:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...eep-mostly-settled-b99330488z1-271343571.html
So without blatantly saying it, McGinn's guess is Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Boykin, and Janis will be the 5 WRs who make the final roster.

I read the article by McGinn as well and got the same impression as you. But Janis will have to make some plays in the preseason games to make the 53.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read the article by McGinn as well and got the same impression as you. But Janis will have to make some plays in the preseason games to make the 53.
I was going to copy and paste this article as well. I spoke of JJ yesterday and how it's going to be nearly impossible to "hide" him on the PS. Like I said hopefully he steps up and plays in the Rams game like he has been in practice. We all know that it comes down to performance and hopefully he handles his business and takes another step towards cementing his roster spot. I am not hiding my love for this kid one bit! HE is the one player out of all the fringe guys I see the most upside in...

(referring to the JSO article...)

D

Deleted member 6794

I was going to copy and paste this article as well. I spoke of JJ yesterday and how it's going to be nearly impossible to "hide" him on the PS. Like I said hopefully he steps up and plays in the Rams game like he has been in practice. We all know that it comes down to performance and hopefully he handles his business and takes another step towards cementing his roster spot. I am not hiding my love for this kid one bit! HE is the one player out of all the fringe guys I see the most upside in...

(referring to the JSO article...)

I'm still capable of hiding my excitement for Janis as he hasn't proven he can make plays vs. other teams in the preseason so far. It's fine making catches in practice but I don't care about guys making the All-Oneida team.

I hope he will be able to provide another weapon for Rodgers but I think it's too early to be excited about him before he has even played in a preseason game.