Looks like Janis is already seperating himself from the pack

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm fairly new to THIS forum but have been a member of a couple of other Packer forums for the last 10 + years. It seems that there are quite a few VERY knowledgeable, passionate Packer fans that contribute really good insight and quite often a unique perspective on a situation.

The one thing that bothers me is when a debate gets started the terms foolish, childish, insane, stupid, and a few others get used, that add absolutely nothing to the topic and are intended solely to put-down or deride the poster. There are many ways to debate without insulting the other member. If you've tried explaining your opinion or point numerous times and the other poster "just doesn't get it" be the bigger person and let the argument die. If you haven't been able to sway them with your numerous posts then they probably won't be swayed... let it go, please.

There are times when I may be guilty of getting too passionate about a topic, so I completely understand that it happens and I'm not actively pointing fingers ... just don't like seeing many of the good off-season topics die because the insulting terms weave there way into the dialogue. I don't want other posters being nervous about voicing their opinion for fear of being called insane or foolish.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I'm fairly new to THIS forum but have been a member of a couple of other Packer forums for the last 10 + years. It seems that there are quite a few VERY knowledgeable, passionate Packer fans that contribute really good insight and quite often a unique perspective on a situation.

The one thing that bothers me is when a debate gets started the terms foolish, childish, insane, stupid, and a few others get used, that add absolutely nothing to the topic and are intended solely to put-down or deride the poster. There are many ways to debate without insulting the other member. If you've tried explaining your opinion or point numerous times and the other poster "just doesn't get it" be the bigger person and let the argument die. If you haven't been able to sway them with your numerous posts then they probably won't be swayed... let it go, please.

There are times when I may be guilty of getting too passionate about a topic, so I completely understand that it happens and I'm not actively pointing fingers ... just don't like seeing many of the good off-season topics die because the insulting terms weave there way into the dialogue. I don't want other posters being nervous about voicing their opinion for fear of being called insane or foolish.

You are 100% correct. Sorry that I said a few days ago that one of your statements was "stupid", my bad bro..... heat of the moment and a passion for the team.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"If I can't practice, I can't practice man. If I'm hurt, I'm hurt. I mean ... simple as that. It ain't about that... I mean it's... It's not about that... At all. You know what I'm saying I mean... But it's...it's easy ... to, to talk about... It's easy to sum it up when you're just talking about practice. We're sitting in here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we in here talking about practice. I mean, listen, we're talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, we talking about practice. Not a game. Not, not ... Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last. Not the game, but we're talking about practice, man. I mean, how silly is that? ... And we talking about practice. I know I supposed to be there. I know I'm supposed to lead by example... I know that... And i'm not.. I'm not shoving it aside, you know, like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I do. I honestly do... But we're talking about practice man. What are we talking about? Practice? We're talking about practice, man. [laughter from the media crowd] We're talking about practice. We're talking about practice. We ain't talking about the game. [more laughter] We're talking about practice, man. When you come to the arena, and you see me play, you see me play don't you? You've seen me give everything I've got, right? But we're talking about practice right now. "

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the DeSean Jackson premature celebration of threads:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

H

HardRightEdge

I suggest you look a little closer. Most of the passes over the middle on that video are right in the gut. There are tons of plays in that video that clearly show him catching with his hands, especially in the second half of it. Besides, a lot of NFL WRs start out needing work in that area. Take a look at Wes Welker's highlights. Lynn Swann
Passes to the gut are expected to be caught with the hands, not the body. Body catching causes fractions of seconds to be lost in YAC opportunities. It neutralizes any advantage you might see in Combine quickness stats.

Body catching can be a sign of lack of confidence in the hands on over-the-middle passes arriving with some velocity (as opposed to deep balls or corner lobs) or a business decision to be in better position to take a hit from unseen DBs who may or may not be closing. It's an assure-the-catch-then-run two-stage process rather than a smooth, integrated football move. Whatever the reason(s), it can become ingrained, instinctual and a difficult habit to break.

The preseason games are here. We'll see how he does.

Last edited by a moderator:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
He's got some ground to make up. It's a rather large cast that haven't missed practice time. I'm not convinced the roster situation will allow us to keep 6 WR's on the 53. Quite a few injuries yet to come in the 4 ps games will sort this all out.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's got some ground to make up. It's a rather large cast that haven't missed practice time. I'm not convinced the roster situation will allow us to keep 6 WR's on the 53. Quite a few injuries yet to come in the 4 ps games will sort this all out.
:(

No more injuries. Power of positive thinking.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The reasons you came up with in the aforementioned post were all numbers from the NFL Scouting Combine, which I really couldn't care less about.

That's fine. NFL GM's do though.

Don't get me wrong I would love to see Janis make an impact with the team this year and further on, but basing his success on one catch in camp is (to be kind like TJV) foolish.

And I already made clear about that.

OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Passes to the gut are expected to be caught with the hands, not the body. Body catching causes fractions of seconds to be lost in YAC opportunities. It neutralizes any advantage you might see in Combine quickness stats.

Body catching can be a sign of lack of confidence in the hands on over-the-middle passes arriving with some velocity (as opposed to deep balls or corner lobs) or a business decision to be in better position to take a hit from unseen CBs who may or may not be closing. It's an an assure-the-catch-then-run two-stage process rather than a smooth, integrated football move. Whatever the reason(s), it can become ingrained, instinctual and a difficult habit to break.

And the video shows him making plenty of catches with his hands. And that was 2 years ago. It's no bigger an issue for him than it is for the average rookie WR.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To those who study college game film..... Buy a fishing rod and/or find a golf course!!

bubba

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Janis has all the tools to be an excellent WR in this league. He is big fast and smart. Packers will not let him go.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I think Janis is an intriguing prospect. I didn't like the draft pick at first because I thought it was over kill but looking at Cobb and Boykin possibly becoming free agents next year it could work out well. IMO he has way more upside then our 5th round pick at WR. Right now I would say he has to beat out Harper and Dorsey to make the team but it's doable. He has a long way to go IMO to get to "Jordy Nelson Level" but he isn't lacking the physical tools to pull it off. If Janis can develop to just 80-85 percent of Nelson he would become a valuable addition.

"Double White Lightning" would be something else.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I think Janis is an intriguing prospect. I didn't like the draft pick at first because I thought it was over kill but looking at Cobb and Boykin possibly becoming free agents next year it could work out well. IMO he has way more upside then our 5th round pick at WR. Right now I would say he has to beat out Harper and Dorsey to make the team but it's doable. He has a long way to go IMO to get to "Jordy Nelson Level" but he isn't lacking the physical tools to pull it off. If Janis can develop to just 80-85 percent of Nelson he would become a valuable addition.

"Double White Lightning" would be something else.
It took 4 years for Jordy Nelson to get to Jordy Nelson level.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bummer abberdaris got hurt. Thinking he could have been a great #5 for the comeback of the big 5.
Jordy 6'3" 217
Boykin 6'2" 218
Adams 6'1" 215
Janis 6'3" 219
And the shasher Cobb who at 5'10" 192. plays like a giant.

H

HardRightEdge

Funny thing.

I was just watching Carolina drive for the winning field goal against Buffalo in the closing minutes. Joe Webb threw what looked like a first down catch to the 6'4" rookie free agent WR Marcus Lucas at the Buffalo 30 yd. line. Lucas attempted to body catch it going to the ground in an apparent attempt to assure the catch. It bounced off his chest, and Meeks hauled in the INT to end the game.

AZpackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've not seen him in camp, but the video clips from college showed a body catcher. That does not cut it in the NFL. He's got to work past that, and it ain't easy.
Exactly what I saw, he will have to be consistent with his hands to make it in the NFL, otherwise he will just be a human backboard. Not saying he can't do it, but he will have to work on that. That one-handed catch may be a signal that he is capable of pulling it off and that would be a win-win for us.

OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly what I saw, he will have to be consistent with his hands to make it in the NFL, otherwise he will just be a human backboard. Not saying he can't do it, but he will have to work on that. That one-handed catch may be a signal that he is capable of pulling it off and that would be a win-win for us.
All it takes is a bit of coaching. It's not as if he can't catch with his hands. He has plenty of hands catches in the videos out there to watch. Too bad the video is all crap quality.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

That's fine. NFL GM's do though.

They take combine numbers into consideration when evaluating a player. But it's for sure not the most important thing, otherwise Janis wouldn't have dropped to the 7th round.

OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They take combine numbers into consideration when evaluating a player. But it's for sure not the most important thing, otherwise Janis wouldn't have dropped to the 7th round.

And 30 teams stupidly let Driver slip to the 7th round too. Why? Small school. The same reason Janis dropped so far.

D

Deleted member 6794

And 30 teams stupidly let Driver slip to the 7th round too. Why? Small school. The same reason Janis dropped so far.

Come on, let´s get some perspective on the topic. Driver is 3rd in receptions and 4th in receiving yards of all players drafted in or after the 7th round in NFL history. Most of these guys don´t even make an impact in the NFL. For comparison, the other five receivers drafted in the 7th round in 1999 combined for 20 career receptions.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The one thing that bothers me is when a debate gets started the terms foolish, childish, insane, stupid, and a few others get used, that add absolutely nothing to the topic and are intended solely to put-down or deride the poster.
I’m going to take the unpopular position of disagreeing with you. First, IMO words matter. There is a huge difference between calling someone foolish and calling something they posted foolish. No one is perfect: Everyone - even intelligent people - occasionally say or write something stupid.

What if I started a thread saying I watched one practice and was so impressed with Flynn’s arm strength I think he should take over the starting QB job? And then suppose I refused to process or address all of the logical arguments, reinforced by stats, that Aaron Rodgers is rightly the starting QB? That would be an obviously stupid idea, wouldn’t it? What if I continued to press my point over and over again? I don’t think it’s out of line to call that idea “foolish”. And again, that is not the same thing as calling me stupid or foolish.

If that is too subtle a distinction (calling an idea foolish as opposed to calling a person foolish) or if someone is too fragile to engage in that kind of back and forth, then any kind of internet forum may be too much for them.

BTW, this is my post on this thread calling an idea foolish: “You misunderstand. I hope Janis becomes a fabulously successful receiver but IMO basing anything on one catch is (to be kind) foolish. (That's why I thought you had to be kidding.)” IMO, even after reflection, I think the use of the word “foolish” is appropriate. Even the poster to whom that comment was a response, must in some way agree because he has backtracked from referencing one catch as an apparent prognostication of Janis’ future. And BTW, that reference was noted by three posters, not just me.

OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Come on, let´s get some perspective on the topic. Driver is 3rd in receptions and 4th in receiving yards of all players drafted in or after the 7th round in NFL history. Most of these guys don´t even make an impact in the NFL. For comparison, the other five receivers drafted in the 7th round in 1999 combined for 20 career receptions.
Okay, fine. Write him off all you want. TT was smart enough not to.

OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even the poster to whom that comment was a response, must in some way agree because he has backtracked from referencing one catch as an apparent prognostication of Janis’ future.

My prognostications are, and WERE based on far more than one catch. The catch (which was headline-worthy, BTW) was simply the start of him validating what I had already been thinking since he was drafted. But think what you want. You didn't see me on here predicting Harper would make the team based on a couple of catches, DID YOU?

Members online

Latest posts