Looks like Janis is already seperating himself from the pack

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One good play, on one day. I'd love to see him do that every day, it's all about consistency and the trust of his QB and coaches... but it's a good start for him. Adam's is a lock for the #4 spot (IMHO) because of his draft position, body control and hands. Would love for Janis to claim the #5 spot, but he needs to move-up the depth chart as possible kick-off/punt return guy to justify that spot.

Gillett, Dorsey & White are "try hard" guys who are getting by on some talent and busting their butts to please the coaches... but are limited in their ceilings. Shepard made a few nice catches at Family Night, but would like to see him in preseason games before I can get a good "read" on him. Harper looks good on paper, but don't think he's got the hands/concentration to become dependable.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this stage of the game, what a lot of these young kids don't realize is that their knowledge of the game and playbook are going to be what separates them from all of the other guys with talent.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I hope Janis is a Donald Driver-like 7th round steal but the OP was meant in jest, wasn't it?

OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Way too early after one catch in practice.

It's called prognostication. I'd put money on him making the roster. He has all of the tools to be an outstanding WR. And it's not just a measly one catch. It's one amazing catch. One ho-hum catch doesn't get you a headline. Just keep watching.

H

HardRightEdge

From what I've read, White has been very productive and would look to have the edge on receiving performance alone at this moment. He seems to be a fumble waiting to happen on punt returns which could hurt him is securing the #5 or #6 spot.

OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope Janis is a Donald Driver-like 7th round steal but the OP was meant in jest, wasn't it?

Janis was projected by most to be a 3-4 round pick. He slipped because of one thing - SVSU. If you think he's just another guy, you haven't done your homework. He's an explosive athlete. The only guy at the combine that had a better 10-yard split was Dri Archer, and he's a tiny guy. He also had the 4th best shuttle. That means outstanding acceleration, which means separation. And he's big enough to get off of jams. I'm telling you, even if they have to keep 6 WRs to keep him on the team, they'd be fools not to. And I say this with confidence. If he doesn't make the team, you're welcome to revisit this post all day long (unless there is an injury, of course.)

H

HardRightEdge

Janis was projected by most to be a 3-4 round pick. He slipped because of one thing - SVSU. If you think he's just another guy, you haven't done your homework. He's an explosive athlete. The only guy at the combine that had a better 10-yard split was Dri Archer, and he's a tiny guy. He also had the 4th best shuttle. That means outstanding acceleration, which means separation. And he's big enough to get off of jams. I'm telling you, even if they have to keep 6 WRs to keep him on the team, they'd be fools not to. And I say this with confidence. If he doesn't make the team, you're welcome to revisit this post all day long. Injury notwithstanding, of course.
I've not seen him in camp, but the video clips from college showed a body catcher. That does not cut it in the NFL. He's got to work past that, and it ain't easy.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
If you think he's just another guy, you haven't done your homework.
You misunderstand. I hope Janis becomes a fabulously successful receiver but IMO basing anything on one catch is (to be kind) foolish. (That's why I thought you had to be kidding.)

OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've not seen him in camp, but the video clips from college showed a body catcher. That does not cut it in the NFL. He's got to work past that, and it ain't easy.

I'd say a one-handed diving catch in the corner of the endzone flies in the face of that logic. There is a time for body catches, like when the ball is floated right over your shoulder on a fly route or when it is throw right at your gut. I see plenty of both in his highlight reel.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You misunderstand. I hope Janis becomes a fabulously successful receiver but IMO basing anything on one catch is (to be kind) foolish. (That's why I thought you had to be kidding.)
It's not based on one catch. And the whole point was that he is getting himself noticed. How on earth could that have possibly been lost on you? I know you're smarter than that.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
It's not based on one catch. And the whole point was that he is getting himself noticed. How on earth could that have possibly been lost on you? I know you're smarter than that.
Well, I’m smart enough to follow along. You responded to this post by captainWIMM:
Way too early after one catch in practice.
by quoting it and posting:
It's called prognostication. I'd put money on him making the roster. He has all of the tools to be an outstanding WR. And it's not just a measly one catch. It's one amazing catch. One ho-hum catch doesn't get you a headline. Just keep watching.
Pretty hard to miss the plain meaning of that exchange: You are basing your prognostication on “one amazing catch”.

OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I’m smart enough to follow along. You responded to this post by captainWIMM: by quoting it and posting: Pretty hard to miss the plain meaning of that exchange: You are basing your prognostication on “one amazing catch”.

You misunderstand. The two sentences you put in bold are not referring to the same thing. In fact, they were posted to two different people. The first one you quoted is in reference to the fact that my prognostications are based on a lot more than one catch. The second one was to make clear that the catch he had yesterday was more than just "one catch in practice." It was pretty much the play of the day. It's all about context, and I would hope you didn't intentionally take me words and mix their context.

And I see you completely ignored post #10 which outlines just a few of the other reasons I predict he'll make the roster. And those came before the post where I said, "It's not based on one catch." So I'm sensing a bit of rhetorical dishonesty here where you claim I'm basing my prognostications on one catch when it's clear that I'm not.

I would bet the real Jack Vainisi wouldn't be as ho-hum about Janis as you are.

Last edited:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The OP had only one thing to say about Janis – his one catch. Then post #8 is mostly about what? One catch. That’s why captainWIMM called you on it. BTW, Pkrjones, captainWIMM and I all commented on your making too much of one catch before post #8, let alone post #10. Are we all rhetorically dishonest :rolleyes:? Or is it more likely you’re putting too much emphasis on it? And I’m sure Jack Vainisi (I’m not pretending to be him – thus the “thx” - so no need for the word “real”) would not base an analysis of a player on one catch. You also seem to be missing the fact that I am not “ho-hum” about Janis or any other Packer. I’ve seen too many players who excel in practices and not games and vis versa to make pronouncements about a player before he’s even played a preseason game.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The OP had only one thing to say about Janis – his one catch. Then post #8 is mostly about what? One catch. That’s why captainWIMM called you on it. BTW, Pkrjones, captainWIMM and I all commented on your making too much of one catch before post #8, let alone post #10. Are we all rhetorically dishonest :rolleyes:?

Whatever man. I gave several reasons why I predict he will make the team in post #10. Ignoring it doesn't make it disappear. And that prediction goes back far before yesterday.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Showing some promise early making a great tough catch is better than dropping an easy one. There have been many training camp wonders who never did much but it is always fun to watch a borderline player emerge into a superstar. Will Janis make the leap? There are reasons he lasted till the 7th round. I will keep my fingers crossed.

OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Showing some promise early making a great tough catch is better than dropping an easy one.

Especially when the guy he beat was Sam Shields.

There have been many training camp wonders who never did much but it is always fun to watch a borderline player emerge into a superstar. Will Janis make the leap? There are reasons he lasted till the 7th round. I will keep my fingers crossed.

I haven't seen one reason why he can't and several why he can.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also read Cobb has been the least impressive so far in camp.

Lots of Camp legends out there, but lets judge by what we see when it counts.

H

HardRightEdge

I'd say a one-handed diving catch in the corner of the endzone flies in the face of that logic.

No, it does not. He body catches on throws in the middle of field. Or I should say, that's what the college videos show.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, it does not. He body catches on throws in the middle of field. Or I should say, that's what the college videos show.

I suggest you look a little closer. Most of the passes over the middle on that video are right in the gut. There are tons of plays in that video that clearly show him catching with his hands, especially in the second half of it. Besides, a lot of NFL WRs start out needing work in that area. Take a look at Wes Welker's highlights. Lynn Swann

D

Deleted member 6794

Whatever man. I gave several reasons why I predict he will make the team in post #10. Ignoring it doesn't make it disappear. And that prediction goes back far before yesterday.

The reasons you came up with in the aforementioned post were all numbers from the NFL Scouting Combine, which I really couldn't care less about.

Don't get me wrong I would love to see Janis make an impact with the team this year and further on, but basing his success on one catch in camp is (to be kind like TJV) foolish.

Members online

Latest posts