Looks like Janis is already seperating himself from the pack

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
There is no way any rookie can consistently meet those demands on August 20. Boykin, Bostick and White are still earning his trust. Rodger's patience is going to be severely tested this year.

H

HardRightEdge

Interesting article about what Rodgers and Bennett demand of the Packers receivers:

http://www.espnwisconsin.com/common/page.php?feed=2&id=15291&is_corp=1
There are two overlooked aspects to being an NFL wide receiver highlighted in this piece:

1) A WR must learn to read defenses.
2) A WR has to get on the same page with his QB...in this case, with an elite veteran, that means seeing the defense the way the QB sees it. In other words, see 1) above.

There are option routes in the playbook to start with, and then there are adjustments that need to made that are not in the playbook, as Rodgers noted.

Failing to correctly read a defense will result in interceptions. Interceptions lose games. That's why the requirements are stated in no uncertain terms.

But clearly, it's a matter of degree. The "mind meld" will not be perfect on every snap of every game. But there is a minimum threshold of the acceptable frequency of error. And errors are often minimized by limiting the players route tree. For instance, McCarthy was adding to Nelson's route tree at least as recently as 2011.

The point being, a guy like Janis might make the team based on potential, but he's come out of a small college, he's had little practice time, and still less with the first team, so it's hard to see him getting more than very occasional spot duty in year 1. It takes a year or two even for many first round picks to get the hang of it and get productive.

I'd like to see him return more punts in these last 2 preseason games. He's big and fast...maybe a little gunner work. Special teams would be a leg up.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

Here's Aaron Nagler's take on Janis while tweeting about Flynn's performance:

@jasonjwilde: RT @AaronNagler: He's out there trying to run packaged plays with Jeff Janis, who has no clue what he's doing. Flynn played fine.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ups and downs people ups and downs. I will say it until I am blue in the face the decision on JJ will be predicated on skills and upside, plain and simple. There are going to be struggles without question but guys like Jeff don't just grow on trees. I mean this in no way to slight guys like Gillett but guys like him are all around the league. Janis has rare physical skills and unless he is just completely falling on his face with regards to route running I just can't see or justify him being released. As we have discussed before it will simply be a release because there is zero chance another team doesn't scoop him up with the quickness. If he is showing no progress then maybe it is time for him to move on but I sure would hate to see him "figure it out" elsewhere when we had him in our hands. Time will tell and I am still solidly backing this young man as his upside is far superior to any of the other guys he is battling for a spot...imo.

OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's Aaron Nagler's take on Janis while tweeting about Flynn's performance:

@jasonjwilde: RT @AaronNagler: He's out there trying to run packaged plays with Jeff Janis, who has no clue what he's doing. Flynn played fine.

Well hell, if Aaron Nagler (who has never played football in his life) said it, then it must be gospel.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Well hell, if Aaron Nagler (who has never played football in his life) said it, then it must be gospel.

Nagler may or may not have ever played, or Jason for that matter, I am sure when they talk to Rodgers things get mentioned off the record..

Why is it so hard to accept that sometimes things could be different than you imagine? There is no need to be a smart *** to someone over it

You could ask Nagler or Jason for Rodgers #, to ask him yourself?

OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nagler may or may not have ever played, or Jason for that matter, I am sure when they talk to Rodgers things get mentioned off the record..

That makes no sense. Why would Rodgers do something like that? If he said something like that to some reporter "off the record" and it got reported, MM would be livid. I don't see that being a part of AR's mental make-up to talk bad about a teammate behind their back to the media.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
That makes no sense. Why would Rodgers do something like that? If he said something like that to some reporter "off the record" and it got reported, MM would be livid. I don't see that being a part of AR's mental make-up to talk bad about a teammate behind their back to the media.

Not saying in this instance Nagler or Jason have heard anything, but to dismiss their words because they "didnt play" is a horrible reason to say they are wrong..

You do know that reporters are told things all the time and keep it under their hats sometimes for years?

OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You do know that reporters are told things all the time and keep it under their hats sometimes for years?

"All the time?" How is it possible to know that? Either way, I am certain that Rodgers would never tell a guy like Nagler, "Man, that Janis guy... he has no clue what he's doing."

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Either way, I am certain that Rodgers would never tell a guy like Nagler, "Man, that Janis guy... he has no clue what he's doing."

A guy like Nagler? Meaning Nagler is a no one? Are you aware of their friendship or non friendship?

Are you implying that a reporter that never played a sport can't cover that sport?

OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A guy like Nagler? Meaning Nagler is a no one? Are you aware of their friendship or non friendship?

Are you implying that a reporter that never played a sport can't cover that sport?
What I am clearly stating (not implying) is that Rodgers doesn't present as the kind of person who such a thing to some reporter "off the record" or not. Hell, the very idea that Rodgers is the root of Nagler's comment at all is wild speculation on your part anyway and not worthy of further consideration.

OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those quotes make since for you as well...

dismissing a report because someone didnt play the game
My point is, what on earth qualifies him to make such a comment? He has no access to the play book and his comment flies in the face of everything MM has had to say about Janis.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
My guess is that Mort & Clayton didn't play a lot of football either. They both "know" much more than us.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
My point is, what on earth qualifies him to make such a comment? He has no access to the play book and his comment flies in the face of everything MM has had to say about Janis.

Same as any other beat reporter.. Access to players, tape study, able to watch practices..

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Tape study-- why does it have to be in film room. Wow

DVR

I only took expection to you dissmissing naglers tweet-you came across as the all knowing one in that comment.. I only pointed out you dont know for a fact

I did forget you were a kicker somewhere so you always have the inside scoop

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
That knife cuts both way, brother. And it's not defensiveness, it's you taking Nagler's word as gospel while I put more stock into what his coaches have said.

Aaron Nagler or Packers coaches? I don't know. You tell me.

BTW, I have a DVR too. I didn't some anything to justify Nagler's dismissiveness.
Never said it was gospel..

Members online

Latest posts