Looks like Janis is already seperating himself from the pack

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with WIMM. It's a tough call but there is still plenty of pre-season ball left to sort things out. The ONLY way I think they keep 6 is if one of the youngsters really shows up on both receiving and more importantly ST's. Also, I think the final decision will be greatly impacted on how the TE battle ends up. We all know there is a ton of talent on this squad and McCarthy know he needs the absolute best 53 heading into week 1. This weekends game is going to be huge for some of these kids and hopefully one or two of them (Janis fingers crossed!) really step up and make the choice a bit easier!
Lots of roster what ifs:

QB - 2 or 3?
OL - 7 or 8?
RB - 3 or 4?
TE/FB - 4,5 or 6?
DL - 6 or 7?
LB - 8,9 or 10?
DB - 8,9 or 10?

Like Ted says, it will all work itself out. Who knows? Injuries on other teams may result in Thompson trading someone for a draft pick.

D

Deleted member 6794

Lots of roster what ifs:

QB - 2 or 3?
OL - 7 or 8?
RB - 3 or 4?
TE/FB - 4,5 or 6?
DL - 6 or 7?
LB - 8,9 or 10?
DB - 8,9 or 10?

Like Ted says, it will all work itself out. Who knows? Injuries on other teams may result in Thompson trading someone for a draft pick.

I'm convinced the Packers will keep 8 OL and it's possible 11 DBs making the 53.

OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read the article by McGinn as well and got the same impression as you. But Janis will have to make some plays in the preseason games to make the 53.

Actually, all he has to do is convince the Packers that he has more upside than White, Dorsey or Harper. In other words, who has the highest ceiling? Like McGinn said, if he's a guy the Packer want to develop, they'll have to put him on the roster.

OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm still capable of hiding my excitement for Janis as he hasn't proven he can make plays vs. other teams in the preseason so far. It's fine making catches in practice but I don't care about guys making the All-Oneida team.

Then why bother with TC at all? He has already beat Shields and Hayward (x2) for big plays. I don't consider those guys to be the "All-Oneida" team as you put it.

I hope he will be able to provide another weapon for Rodgers but I think it's too early to be excited about him before he has even played in a preseason game.

Well, not if you've done your homework on him and recognize talent when you see it.

D

Deleted member 6794

Actually, all he has to do is convince the Packers that he has more upside than White or Harper. In other words, who has the highest ceiling? Like McGinn said, if he's a guy the Packer want to develop, they'll have to put him on the roster.

Well, if he can't get open or make some receptions playing mostly second and third string DBs in the preseason I don't see any reason why he should make the team.

Freelancing like he did a lot in college won't work with his current QB as the most important thing for a WR is to earn Rodgers' trust.

D

Deleted member 6794

Then why bother with TC at all? He has already beat Shields and Hayward (x2) for big plays. I don't consider those guys to be the "All-Oneida" team as you put it.

There have been a lot of players making big plays during practice over the last few seasons not being able to do it in games.

Well, not if you've done your homework on him and recognize talent when you see it.

I wonder why all NFL teams spend a lot of money on various scouts when all they would have to do is to ask you for your evaluation after watching a five minutes video on YouTube.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm still capable of hiding my excitement for Janis as he hasn't proven he can make plays vs. other teams in the preseason so far. It's fine making catches in practice but I don't care about guys making the All-Oneida team.

I hope he will be able to provide another weapon for Rodgers but I think it's too early to be excited about him before he has even played in a preseason game.

I am "all in" on him because of his skill set. Plain and simple. He has measurables you typically see in a top 20 pick and that is not a wild statement, it's the truth. I am willing to put my neck out there before the final verdict is in because where's the fun in pulling for a guy after the fact?! I am not afraid of the backlash but also selfishly want to be one of the guys who pegged this kid as a future stud from day one. There is no way for me to accomplish this if I start spewing my love for the kid once he's rostered. I am in a production based industry (as most of us are) and fully understand that all of the practice plays mean nothing without transferring it to a game setting. Janis himself mentioned how his coaches keep telling him if you can do it in practice you can do it in a game. With that being said I do think that you have to give the kid some credit for missing the first part of TC with shingles and then coming in and making a "play a day" as coach M says. He has to know that he has been given a opportunity rarely bestowed upon a WR from Saginaw Valley State...and a white one to boot! This kid has a chance to make a NFL team (THE NFL team!) and catch balls from the greatest QB in the league. I am gladly pushing my chips to the middle of the table and if you keep pushing me I just may order myself a Janis jersey! Check that, I am a tight a## and will wait for the final verdict before I go THAT far! :)

D

Deleted member 6794

I am "all in" on him because of his skill set. Plain and simple. He has measurables you typically see in a top 20 pick and that is not a wild statement, it's the truth. I am willing to put my neck out there before the final verdict is in because where's the fun in pulling for a guy after the fact?! I am not afraid of the backlash but also selfishly want to be one of the guys who pegged this kid as a future stud from day one. There is no way for me to accomplish this if I start spewing my love for the kid once he's rostered. I am in a production based industry (as most of us are) and fully understand that all of the practice plays mean nothing without transferring it to a game setting. Janis himself mentioned how his coaches keep telling him if you can do it in practice you can do it in a game. With that being said I do think that you have to give the kid some credit for missing the first part of TC with shingles and then coming in and making a "play a day" as coach M says. He has to know that he has been given a opportunity rarely bestowed upon a WR from Saginaw Valley State...and a white one to boot! This kid has a chance to make a NFL team (THE NFL team!) and catch balls from the greatest QB in the league. I am gladly pushing my chips to the middle of the table and if you keep pushing me I just may order myself a Janis jersey! Check that, I am a tight a## and will wait for the final verdict before I go THAT far! :)

Fair enough. I'm rooting for the kid as well, I just don't get too excited about some plays during practice anymore, have been disappointed too often over the last few years.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fair enough. I'm rooting for the kid as well, I just don't get too excited about some plays during practice anymore, have been disappointed too often over the last few years.

I hear you WIMM. I TRY and keep a positive attitude and approach certain things in my life with a reckless, child-like attitude and pre-season ball is one of those things. My chances of getting burned are relatively low and I know that if one of my TC hopefuls doesn't make it our teams chances of winning haven't change much if at all. Best case scenario the kid I am pulling for makes it. Worst case scenario he is bagging groceries at Piggly Wiggly or even worse on the Jags practice squad.

OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Freelancing like he did a lot in college won't work with his current QB as the most important thing for a WR is to earn Rodgers' trust.

He didn't freelance in college. He ran his routes and beat his man time after time. I like how you use the term "freelance" BTW. It's as if to indicate a lack of discipline. It seems you have some kind of beef and are fond of using backdoor derogatories to characterize his game when the coaches (you know, the guys that MATTER?) have had nothing but praise.

OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There have been a lot of players making big plays during practice over the last few seasons not being able to do it in games.

And so therefore, it stands to reason that Janis won't either. Is that what you're saying here? Why do you have such a problem with other people being optimistic on a player (and for good reason)?

I wonder why all NFL teams spend a lot of money on various scouts when all they would have to do is to ask you for your evaluation after watching a five minutes video on YouTube.

I obviously don't have their resource, but that doesn't mean I'm a blind idiot either.

D

Deleted member 6794

He didn't freelance in college. He ran his routes and beat his man time after time. I like how you use the term "freelance" BTW. It's as if to indicate a lack of discipline. It seems you have some kind of beef and are fond of using backdoor derogatories to characterize his game when the coaches (you know, the guys that MATTER?) have had nothing but praise.

Freelancing as a receiver while playing with Rodgers will get your butt on the bench. And Janis did a lot of that in college and he didn't have to run the entire route tree because he didn't have playing vs. inferior competition in Division II. That's why he's extremely raw (which the coaches, you know the one that really matter and Janis himself have said repeatedly).

D

Deleted member 6794

And so therefore, it stands to reason that Janis won't either. Is that what you're saying here? Why do you have such a problem with other people being optimistic on a player (and for good reason)?

I don't have a problem with you being optimistic about Janis but with you telling me I'm a blind idiot because I'm not convinced he will be a stud receiver for the Packers.

While Janis produced big numbers playing for Saginaw Valley he only had three catches for 49 yards being covered by an NFL-ready prospect in Brandon Dixon (6th-round pick by the Jets) last season.

OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with you being optimistic about Janis but with you telling me I'm a blind idiot because I'm not convinced he will be a stud receiver for the Packers.

Show me where I called you a blind idiot. I merely stated that I am NOT. Big difference.

While Janis produced big numbers playing for Saginaw Valley he only had three catches for 49 yards being covered by an NFL-ready prospect in Brandon Dixon (6th-round pick by the Jets) last season.

So making plays against guys like Shields and Hayward don't count? I would think the last thing those guys would want would be to get beat by some worthless scrub from Saginaw Valley State, practice or not.

OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Freelancing as a receiver while playing with Rodgers will get your butt on the bench. And Janis did a lot of that in college and he didn't have to run the entire route tree because he didn't have playing vs. inferior competition in Division II.

B. S., unless you have some kind of evidence that he never ran his routes properly, in which case, I'm listening...

But regardless, thanks for making my argument for me. You just conceded that his D-II competition was inferior, which means Janis was superior, which means he is BETTER than a typical D-II WR. He should have, and could have played for most D-I teams. You know why he didn't? Because he came from a town of 1800 people and went to a 1A high school. Kids from 1A schools rarely, if ever, get D-I scholarship offers, especially at "skills" positions.

D

Deleted member 6794

So making plays against guys like Shields and Hayward don't count? I would think the last thing those guys would want would be to get beat by some worthless scrub from Saginaw Valley State, practice or not.

We just have to disagree about the importance of catches in practices. If Janis can make some tough receptions in the preseason I will get excited as well.

B. S., unless you have some kind of evidence that he never ran his routes properly, in which case, I'm listening...

All scouting reports I read before the draft mentioned he's not a nuanced route runner, has inconsistent hands, uses the body too often to catch the ball, is limited after the catch and inconsistent in traffic. As I haven't seen any Saginaw Valley State games over the last four seasons (and I don't expect you to have watched any) I have to believe these reports.

But regardless, thanks for making my argument for me. You just conceded that his D-II competition was inferior, which means Janis was superior, which means he is BETTER than a typical D-II WR. He should have, and could have played for most D-I teams. You know why he didn't? Because he came from a town of 1800 people and went to a 1A high school. Kids from 1A schools rarely, if ever, get D-I scholarship offers, especially at "skills" positions.

I don't know why you think that I made your argument. You realize that Janis won't face D-II competition in the NFL, don't you??? He dominated at Saginaw Valley State but the only time he faced talented competition (a late round pick) he wasn't able to produce.

Don't know why anybody would come to the conclusion that this is a reason to predict he will make a huge impact in the NFL facing way better DBs than Dixon.

H

HardRightEdge

Playing in a dome this week vs. last week's monsoon should give us a better look at the receiver contenders.

I'll be interested to see what Janis looks like between the field numbers. Corner fades and one-move-and-go routes, in practice no less, which entail soft balls in perimeter space, are one thing. Breaks, routes, hands, run-after-catch and at least some modicum of fearlessness...a receiver must pass minimum NFL thresholds in each of these areas to make it.

If a guy cannot do some work in the middle of the field the opposition will figure that out and NFL cornerbacks will just take away the outside.

I'd like to see Janus run a couple of slants, maybe do some slot work...something where he has to run under linebackers or safeties so we can get a look at where he's at with middle-of-field skills.

I'm reminded of Tory Gurley, another big receiver/fan fave rave from a recent preseason. While certainly not the speedster that Janis is, it was a 6 catch preseason game if I recall correctly that got some fans revved up.

But it turned out he was slow out of his breaks and looked more like an undersized TE running routes. I think it was when Flowers strolled in front of him for an effortless pick on a molasses-like break that sealed his fate.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We just have to disagree about the importance of catches in practices. If Janis can make some tough receptions in the preseason I will get excited as well.

I see. So Shields and Hayward didn't care if they got beat by a ****-poor WR from Saginaw Valley State. They were just trying to make the kid look good, right?:rolleyes:

All scouting reports I read before the draft mentioned he's not a nuanced route runner, has inconsistent hands, uses the body too often to catch the ball, is limited after the catch and inconsistent in traffic.

And those scouting reports are inconsistent. You have one saying "doesn't get in and out of breaks well" and another saying "shifts his momentum well with smooth footwork in/out of his breaks." Which is it? You have one report stating, "lacks suddenness in space to create much separation" and another saying, "Accelerates into routes quickly and can separate vertically." Which is it? Point is, the people who make these reports aren't NFL scouts. They're media clowns like Mel Kiper who are tasked with a time-table to have something to print.

As I haven't seen any Saginaw Valley State games over the last four seasons (and I don't expect you to have watched any) I have to believe these reports.

No, but I've seen every snap where he was targeted in 2013.

I don't know why you think that I made your argument.

Because you acknowledged that he was superior to his D-II competition, meaning he should have been playing D-I.

Don't know why anybody would come to the conclusion that this is a reason to predict he will make a huge impact in the NFL facing way better DBs than Dixon.

Like Shields and Hayward? Oh right. They wanted to get burned by a nobody with no talent.

H

HardRightEdge

He had a good game today.
That was a nifty catch and run. It think that play was drawn up for him...it looked to me like a fake screen with Janis on a chip and release out of the slot away from pursuit. I also liked the way he handled the punts...he looked natural and did a nice job coming up in traffic. White and Adams should not be back there. So far, Janis is the best I've seen back there among this group, besides Hyde of course.

White made a nice grab on that back shoulder TD that got called back; the backup QBs seem to favor him among the #5 contenders.

Last edited by a moderator:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
That was a nifty catch and run. It think that play was drawn up for him...it looked to me like a fake screen with Janis on a chip and release out of the slot away from pursuit. I also liked the way he handled the fair catches...he looked natural and did a nice job coming up in traffic. I'd like to see him run one. White and Adams should not be back there. So far, Janis is the best I've seen back there among this group, besides Hyde of course.

White made a nice grab on that back shoulder TD that got called back; the backup QBs seem to favor him among the #5 contenders.

Don't forget about the nice grab Devante Adams made. "contested catch"

H

HardRightEdge

Don't forget about the nice grab Devante Adams made. "contested catch"
Oh, Adams is a lock to make the roster and is the presumptive #4. That's why I did not mention him (other than to say he should not be returning punts).

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Oh, Adams is a lock to make the roster and is the presumptive #4. That's why I did not mention him (other than to say he should not be returning punts).

Nelson
Cobb
Boykin
Adams
White
Janis

I like it.

I've kind of given up on Harper and his inconsistent hands. Dorsey had a big drop today. Gillett is just trying to make the wrong team.

Members online

Latest posts