Life in Green Bay: The good, the bad ...no ugly.

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just a couple of stories about life in Green Bay with the Packers.

1) I am at home on military leave, just reading the sports page.
The doorbell rings and my mom dressed in a housecoat and slippers answers the door thinking it was a neighbor or perhaps the post man. I hear a loud shriek and I think my mom is in trouble. No, she was just embarrassed because the person at the door was Bart Starr. He stopped by to give my younger brother some high school graduation presents (my brother cut his lawn, shoveled his sidewalk and delivered newspapers to Bart's house). One of the presents was an autographed jersey. He still has it.

2) I went to the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay, I made friends with a guy who hated the Packers. I was dumbfounded. "Why do you hate the Packers?, I asked.
He told me a story about something that happened when he was 15. He was getting a haircut and in the middle of the haircut, a Packer player comes in.I won't mention names but he was a running back and wore #5.

The barber says "son, go sit down for a minute, this guy needs a haircut and shave before he goes back to practice".

Was the Barber wrong....should #5 have said "finish the kid's hair cut?" I don't know.

3) Grocery shopping. The temperature is -10 below zero. I am dressed like an Eskimo. As I am entering the store, LeRoy Butler jumps out of his BMW or Mercedes and laughs and calls me a wuss. I tracked him down in the store and got his autograph.

4) Breakfast at a small restaurant. I ate there all the time, only two blocks from my home. One day I went in and a radio station was doing a remote broadcast. The Packer guest was Matt Hasselbeck. When the radio announcers went to a break, I asked Matt how he liked being backup to Jim McMahon (ex bear QB), he just laughed and said, "I can't answer that". The radio announcers cracked up saying "please answer that, we'll get headlines!"

I ended up buying Matt breakfast.

OP
OP
GreenGoldAngel

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
We want more!

LOL...of course you want more. I will spin out my stories over a period of time. Can't give away everything at once!

A lot of people mention all the bars and restaurants to visit in Green Bay. But most of them are are near Lambeau Field,,,us natives don't go there , too expensive. My favorite hang out is a place called Coaches Corner in Downtown Green Bay.

Coaches Corner - Green Bay, WI

It is ultra cool.

I was there one day and struck up a conversation with another customer. I am thinking "what a strange accent", so I ask him where are you from?

Answer, Liverpool, England. Turns out he was a member of a Liverpool Packer Fan Club and took his vacation to Green Bay just to see Lambeau field and the Packer hall of Fame. That was so awesome to me. He told me he was leaving the next day and I said I was sorry I had not met him sooner because I could have gotten him some autographs.

OP
OP
GreenGoldAngel

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
OK, I must have passed Ray Nitschke's house hundreds of times. I swear he had the longest pole for flying the American Flag in the whole city.

I did meet him in Oakland at a Packer-Raider game. I asked him why getting his Packer Report was so slow. He just growled at me.

OP
OP
GreenGoldAngel

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was watching a show of Jeff Foxworthy telling Redneck jokes. And I began thinking (which is always dangerous for me to do ), are there any Packer/Green Bay jokes of that type?

The only one I could think of is "If you live in a city that has an NFL franchise, and there are more seats in the stadium than the population of the town, you might be a Packer Fan."

This was true when my dad got transferred to Green Bay in 1964.

OP
OP
GreenGoldAngel

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Gosh, the more I post the more I remember. During the Lombardi era, people would come to Green Bay from Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, the UP of Michigan. They would come without tickets and no guarantee of lodging. My brothers and I were in the Military at the time, so my parents let out of state fans stay in their home. Of course parking on their lawn was free. ALL of the radio stations were broadcasting about available tickets. It was an exciting time. More of the good things about living in Green Bay.

OP
OP
GreenGoldAngel

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If I seem to be hogging this thread, don't blame me. A mod told me to tell more so I am just following orders. LOL, LTF

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just a couple of stories about life in Green Bay with the Packers.

1) I am at home on military leave, just reading the sports page.
The doorbell rings and my mom dressed in a housecoat and slippers answers the door thinking it was a neighbor or perhaps the post man. I hear a loud shriek and I think my mom is in trouble. No, she was just embarrassed because the person at the door was Bart Starr. He stopped by to give my younger brother some high school graduation presents (my brother cut his lawn, shoveled his sidewalk and delivered newspapers to Bart's house). One of the presents was an autographed jersey. He still has it.

2) I went to the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay, I made friends with a guy who hated the Packers. I was dumbfounded. "Why do you hate the Packers?, I asked.
He told me a story about something that happened when he was 15. He was getting a haircut and in the middle of the haircut, a Packer player comes in.I won't mention names but he was a running back and wore #5.

The barber says "son, go sit down for a minute, this guy needs a haircut and shave before he goes back to practice".

Was the Barber wrong....should #5 have said "finish the kid's hair cut?" I don't know.

3) Grocery shopping. The temperature is -10 below zero. I am dressed like an Eskimo. As I am entering the store, LeRoy Butler jumps out of his BMW or Mercedes and laughs and calls me a wuss. I tracked him down in the store and got his autograph.

4) Breakfast at a small restaurant. I ate there all the time, only two blocks from my home. One day I went in and a radio station was doing a remote broadcast. The Packer guest was Matt Hasselbeck. When the radio announcers went to a break, I asked Matt how he liked being backup to Jim McMahon (ex bear QB), he just laughed and said, "I can't answer that". The radio announcers cracked up saying "please answer that, we'll get headlines!"

I ended up buying Matt breakfast.
"I won't tell names, but he was a RB, wore #5, and was called the Golden Boy. Oh, and his name started with Pau and ended in Ornung...

/still one of my favorite Packers of all time.

GREAT stories man! If anyone care to tell some "tales" about life in GB, or about meeting players, that would be amazing!

OP
OP
GreenGoldAngel

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Kitten, Thank you for the kind post. I have been blessed to be a Packer fan and experience many things. I have one regret. The "Ice Bowl", my mom, dad, aunt, uncle, brother and cousin were at that game. Where was I ?
In Thailand. The game came on armed forces radio at midnight. Being true Packer fans, my friends and I started partying early. We all passed out before the game and missed the whole thing!

I did get a laugh with your statement, you are everywhere man....Reminded me of an old Johnny Cash song "I've been everywhere man"

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Detroit Sunday Night game..Sharpers rookie season..Took a int back for a TD 97 season

Sat behind Ray Nitschke

He got mad at me for putting my knees in his back...Then when he seen how big I was, told me it was okay

We messed around with him entire 1st half..He lit up a big ole cigar and at that time no smoking allowed in the bowl area..My brothers wanted me to tell Ray to put it...I didnt dare lol

He got up at half time to go to a different seat, he shook our hands and said goodbye

OP
OP
GreenGoldAngel

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Green Bay is special. I was out of town at the time, but my parents told me that Bart's kids came trick-or-treating on Halloween. I hope my parents gave them Snickers bars...it's my favorite.

OP
OP
GreenGoldAngel

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
"I won't tell names, but he was a RB, wore #5, and was called the Golden Boy. Oh, and his name started with Pau and ended in Ornung...

/still one of my favorite Packers of all time.

GREAT stories man! If anyone care to tell some "tales" about life in GB, or about meeting players, that would be amazing!

What is amazing that it is a really small town and you have to try not to run into packers. I have never met one that said he was to busy to give an autograph. I took my nephew to a charity basketball game......Packers against University of Wisconsin-Green Bay. We walked out with 10 packer autographs. My nephew was young and nervous and he really wanted Mark Chmura's autograph (most sites spell it Chamura, but it is Chmura) oh heck, just call him Chewy. Anyway, Mark was practicing his shots and I interrupted him to ask for an autograph. He said"maybe later, but I need to work on my jump shot." Well once in a while you can tell a little white lie. I said "Mark, we have traveled from Wyoming and my nephew really wants your autograph. We will have to leave before the end of the game, so can you please do me a favor?" Got the autograph!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts