Le Shean McCoy trade talks

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
McCoy for Davante Adams? No. Jordy Nelson is not getting any younger and Adams could be our #1 receiver by the 2018 season.

Adams + a 4th rounder? Get outta here.

Hundley + a 4th rounder? Now that I would like to see.

Randall Cobb + a 4th rounder? I'd have to think about that one.
Monty and a fourth? You would only be getting Shady if you don't trust Monty to do it. If you don't trust him, get rid of him. Monty is all of 24 with 2 years left on his rookie contract. Many advantages for Buffalo. Heck, they might do it for cap relief.
On another note, Bills moving Ragland costs them another $1m+ in dead cap this season.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That move would leave the Packers without a legitimate backup QB though.

Yes, but Hundley + draft pick for McCoy would be worth it. Callahan wouldn't be a terrible backup. But you're right though, the Bills are probably not interested in a QB. They want a receiver, which is why I wondered about Randall Cobb + draft pick for McCoy.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Monty and a fourth? You would only be getting Shady if you don't trust Monty to do it. If you don't trust him, get rid of him. Monty is all of 24 with 2 years left on his rookie contract. Many advantages for Buffalo. Heck, they might do it for cap relief.
On another note, Bills moving Ragland costs them another $1m+ in dead cap this season.

I'd prefer trading Cobb + draft pick for McCoy and moving Monty back to the slot, as someone above suggested.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't expect that either, but you never know. TT likes to develop guys and if he sees a cheaper option out of one of his draft picks or UDFA's, then I wouldn't put it past him to let Adams walk next year.....but trading him AND a draft pick? Is that in TT's DNA? ;)

Also, if there were any truth to the trade rumor, I would think as a part of that trade, the Bills would require a restructure or new contract for Adams, they wouldn't want a guy on a one year deal either.
Buffalo is in rebuild mode. Based on them trading Sammy Watkins away. They could very well be offering up McCoy for trades. They could be liking their young rbs, as much as we like our group of young wrs...

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd prefer trading Cobb + draft pick for McCoy and moving Monty back to the slot, as someone above suggested.
Buffalo doesn't have cap space to both take on Shady's dead cap plus Cobb's salary. It would eat up most of what they have left. If you are blowing up the roster in a youth movement, you usually try to gain cap space at the same time.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There would be like a year overlap of high contracts going to WR before some came off the books and Adams new contract could take that into account. I don't think we'll have Adams, Jordy and Cobb on high dollar contracts outside of 1 year and right now it looks like they're getting cap space to do a signing or to to extend some core guys. Unless one of these guys completely falls off, or Adams has a 114 for 1800 yards and 16 TD's and prices himself right out of here, I think it's very likely all 3 are on the Packers Roster again next year.
Who would you rather have? Adams or haha?

H

HardRightEdge

Ragland is definitely an intriguing inside linebacker prospect but he doesn´t present an athletic upgrade over Ryan and Martinez.
Perhaps not, but he'll be a better football player than those guys, especially Martinez.

Does anybody remember how awful Nelson looked early last year coming off a season ending ACL? Remember how good he looked at the end of the season after gaining confidence in it and making the necessary adjustments? Serious ACLs take more than a year to get over. And that requires playing on it.

Now, for McCoy. Let's see. Ted Thompson is going to trade for a 29 year old RB with tons of mileage and a $6 million cap hit accruing to the Packers this year? I don't think so.

Well, maybe a 5th. rounder provided the Bills eat more of the cap than the prorated signing bonus. Adams? LOL

Somebody heard the rumor that the Bills were looking to move McCoy then looked around for a team that (1) is a contender who might go in for a get-over-the-hump rent-a-player as though this is Major League Baseball, (2) has the cap space and (3) doesn't have a name running back.

Voila!

By the way, McCoy had a meeting with Bills brass yesterday and came away reassured he would not be traded. That can be the kiss of death, though. But it won't be to the Packers.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2017/08/bills-confirm-they-wont-trade-lesean-mccoy

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

I'm not sure why the Bills would want that.
Well, they could move Randall to FS where he belongs They keep trying to find a reason to get rid of Tyrod Taylor but since that reason is a respectable replacement they can't shake him. And maybe they liked Spriggs in that draft and have some idea why he is sucking with the Packers.

Of course, this trade proposal is ludicrous. This is Ted Thompson. I wouldn't even make that trade and I'm not keen on any of those Packer players. I'm just not going to give away guys who could still realize potential for a 29 year old back with high mileage.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

Montgomery goes back to wr in Adams spot....

All this with the assumption that Adams is going to be too expensive for us to keep after this year... the bonus of Montgomery being able to plug in for Adams, makes it a legit option imo.

Montgomery wouldn´t be able to adequately replace Adams as a perimeter receiver. There´s a reason the coaching staff moved him to running back in the first place.

Yes, but Hundley + draft pick for McCoy would be worth it. Callahan wouldn't be a terrible backup.

I definitely wouldn't feel comfortable entering the season with either Callahan or Hill as the backup quarterback. It seems a lot of Packers fans ignore the importance of having a decent #2 on the depth chart, even after what happened in 2013 when Rodgers was lost for eight games.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Montgomery wouldn´t be able to adequately replace Adams as a perimeter receiver. There´s a reason the coaching staff moved him to running back in the first place.

I definitely wouldn't feel comfortable entering the season with either Callahan or Hill as the backup quarterback. It seems a lot of Packers fans ignore the importance of having a decent #2 on the depth chart, even after what happened in 2013 when Rodgers was lost for eight games.
I'm not confident that Hundley is capable of playing at the level required from our QB position in order for the team to succeed, either.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I kept thinking click-bait as I read the article. It would be so un-TT. Give up an ascending WR for a fading 29 y/o player at a position that has shorter careers? Plus, give up a coveted draft pick and a potential compensatory pick if Adams leaves after this coming season? Not an easy scenario to be believed.

Yeah I'm not against acquiring mcCoy but for sure not in any scenario involving Adams. The 4th round pick alone sounds more realistic. Lynch went for a 3rd and he was like 24 at the time mcCoy is 29.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who would you rather have? Adams or haha?
I don't know, ask me after the season. I like Ha Ha, he's been solid. I think he's been a tad overrated to this point. I've seen him whiff on more than a couple tackles, drop a couple INT's that hit him in the worst place possible, right in the hands. He had a nice season last year stats wise, but all of those INT's seemed to come to him rather than him make a huge play. that one INT Randall had against the seahawks I think was better than anything Ha Ha had last year that I can remember. He's a nice player, I don't dislike him, But he's late to the show a lot of times. Not by much, just a step usually, but a step makes a big difference.

now i'm giving him the benefit of the doubt because he's progressed since he got here and he's a good player and he had to cover for a lot of crap happening in the Defensive backfield last year. when you're practicing with different players every week and playing with different players every half of football, he probably was trying to make up for too many others and looking a tad worse in his own duties. So maybe that takes a big step this year. But part of me isn't completely overlooking it either, because i've always had that impression of him, that he doesn't have the range I'd like to see back there.

I don't think it's a Ha Ha or Adams question anyway this offseason. If both have seasons we're expecting, they'll find a way to make them part of the long term plans

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm not confident that Hundley is capable of playing at the level required from our QB position in order for the team to succeed, either.

There´s no reason to be confident the Packers could win a Super Bowl with Hundley starting but I guess he could win a couple games should Rodgers miss a short period of time

If RB's struggle tonight, maybe the McCoy rumor will get louder!

I have a hard time believing the Packers would be interested in trading for McCoy even if the running backs struggle tonight.

D

Deleted member 6794

It'll be written off since Bulaga wasn't there. The blame will fall on the OT backups not being good enough.

I don´t believe that to be the case as the rushing offense struggled with the starting offensive line intact during the first two preseason games as well.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I don´t believe that to be the case as the rushing offense struggled with the starting offensive line intact during the first two preseason games as well.
There is the truth, the eye test, and the spin. The spin will be on the lack of Bulaga with the first two games conveniently ignored.

Latest posts