Le Shean McCoy trade talks

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Adams is an ascending player that nearly had a 1,000 receiving yards and finished second in the league in touchdown catches. There´s no reason to believe any other receiver currently on the roster aside of Nelson and Cobb is capable of putting up similar numbers.

Again, I'm not saying I support such a trade. Just saying that unless you can crawl into TT and MM's minds, there are situations that I could see it happening, but fully expect it not to.

Again, water cooler conversation. If you look at the source of the article, Sports Talk 360 you will find this:

Sports Talk 360 is a privately run website run by a couple of lads who love their NFL. The Sports Talk 360 team are a dedicated couple of lads who seek to bring you all the News and Rumours in the world of the NFL.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
AR NEEDS to have the threat of a running game or teams will be pinning their ears back and relentlessly attacking him.

THAT to me is big. It was why having a healthy Lacy was so important to the offense, it made them 2 dimensional. In that playoff game last year against the Falcons, the Atlanta defense basically said "go ahead and run, we will not let you beat us with the pass". It has been an achilles heal for the Packers when facing good defenses, no running game and it's all up to AR to somehow try and beat that team through the air.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also, if there were any truth to the trade rumor, I would think as a part of that trade, the Bills would require a restructure or new contract for Adams, they wouldn't want a guy on a one year deal either.
The Bills only have $11Mil left under the cap in '17 ($14.25Mil dead money after eating Watkins bonus $)... they'd re-sign Adams in the offseason when they'd have $35+Mil (maybe over $40Mil with McCoy's salary off the books?).

D

Deleted member 6794

Jordy is currently 15th highest paid WR (avg. $9.762Mil/yr) and Cobb is 14th (avg. $10Mil/yr.). If TT is confident Jordy & Cobb will be around thru their current contracts there's no way to re-sign Adam's long-term (guessing $10-$12Mil/yr. average). The Packers are the ONLY TEAM to have 2 WR's on the 20 top-paid WR's list... IMHO there's no way TT will make it 3 after this season.

Monty is a great weapon in the backfield but if still struggling in pass protection and ability to be available every game that leaves the offense very one-dimensional. AR NEEDS to have the threat of a running game or teams will be pinning their ears back and relentlessly attacking him.

The Packers definitely have enough cap space to re-sign Adams either over the course of the 2017 season or before the starter of free agency in March. I agree the team would hugely benefit of having the threat of a running game but am more optimistic than others around here Montgomery and one of the rookies will be able to provide just that.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm pessimistic that GB will have 3 WR's making $10Mil+/yr. along with a QB who (assuming they extend AR in next year to be top 3-paid QB @ $25+Mil/yr.) = 4 offensive players using up $55-60Mil in '18. I don't believe GB can field a competitive team with those expenditures on offense.

IMHO going forward $6.5Mil on a threat RB is better spent than $10+Mil on a 3rd WR and would make the team more 2-dimensional.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCoy for Davante Adams? No. Jordy Nelson is not getting any younger and Adams could be our #1 receiver by the 2018 season.

Adams + a 4th rounder? Get outta here.

Hundley + a 4th rounder? Now that I would like to see.

Randall Cobb + a 4th rounder? I'd have to think about that one.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm pessimistic that GB will have 3 WR's making $10Mil+/yr. along with a QB who (assuming they extend AR in next year to be top 3-paid QB @ $25+Mil/yr.) = 4 offensive players using up $55-60Mil in '18. I don't believe GB can field a competitive team with those expenditures on offense.

IMHO going forward $6.5Mil on a threat RB is better spent than $10+Mil on a 3rd WR and would make the team more 2-dimensional.
There would be like a year overlap of high contracts going to WR before some came off the books and Adams new contract could take that into account. I don't think we'll have Adams, Jordy and Cobb on high dollar contracts outside of 1 year and right now it looks like they're getting cap space to do a signing or to to extend some core guys. Unless one of these guys completely falls off, or Adams has a 114 for 1800 yards and 16 TD's and prices himself right out of here, I think it's very likely all 3 are on the Packers Roster again next year.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rather doubtful for reasons already mentioned.

One thing to consider though, maybe TT is thinking between McCaffrey, Allison, and ? ? ? We are stocked at WR. Unless it was Adams for slim and a 3rd, this won't happen. Still be a poor trade because we can't run block

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't do this trade strait up. Much less attaching a draft pick. Yuck

Reaction score
While there were trade rumors abounding for McCoy up to a few days ago, this is the only source I've seen today even mentioning it. I'm wondering if instead of getting early hot info, they got late cold info? Like, maybe GB was in talks earlier in the week or last week about McCoy and nothing came of it, and these guys somehow just heard of it and thought it was happening now?

Either way, I don't think it's happening, real or not.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I doubt we trade for him at all, and if we do I doubt it's for one of our players. Buffalo wants picks. They aren't playing for 2017, or even 2018.

So in picks what is McCoy worth? He's still a special back, but he's on the back nine and he's expensive.

D

Deleted member 6794

As Mondio correctly pointed out the Packers could structure Adams´ contract in a way that his cap hit wouldn´t be massive as long as Nelson and Cobb count more than $10 million against it in 2018. In addition I would prefer the team to pay an ascending wide receiver $3.5 million more per season than a running back turning 30 years old next offseason.

Would love for this to happen for one of the backup QBs

The Bills are definitely not interested in trading McCoy for a backup quarterback.

Hundley + a 4th rounder? Now that I would like to see.

That move would leave the Packers without a legitimate backup QB though.

One thing to consider though, maybe TT is thinking between McCaffrey, Allison, and ? ? ? We are stocked at WR.

I truly hope the front office and coaching staff don´t feel the Packers are stocked at wide receiver based on the performance of Allison late last season as well as the rookies catching some balls during preseason games and practice.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
There has been talk that Reggie Ragland is also on the Bills trading block.....again....I don't expect a trade. But what you would a fair trade for McCoy and Ragland be?

D

Deleted member 6794

There has been talk that Reggie Ragland is also on the Bills trading block.....again....I don't expect a trade. But what you would a fair trade for McCoy and Ragland be?

With the Packers trying to get more athletic at inside linebacker I don´t consider Ragland to be a decent fit.

Reaction score
If the baseline without Ragland is McCoy for Adams and a 4th,
For McCoy and Ragland, I'd give them Adams and a 6th.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
With the Packers trying to get more athletic at inside linebacker I don´t consider Ragland to be a decent fit.
More athletic than Ryan and Martinez shouldn't be hard to do ;) I haven't really followed Ragland since the draft, when a lot of us were kind of high on him. I know he lost his rookie season with a torn ACL, so I am guessing his price tag isn't too high. I think the new Nitro Package is well represented by both Jones and Burnett, but I would love an upgrade over Thomas, Ryan or Martinez, but not sure if Ragland would be that much of an upgrade.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So theoretically decent is giving them Adams and a 4th, but when you add Ragland, you give them a worse pick?
Which is why he earned a "funny" from me. Guessing someone thinks Ragland is a -2 in draft value to a deal.

Should we call a meeting of the "Forum Math team"? :coffee:

D

Deleted member 6794

More athletic than Ryan and Martinez shouldn't be hard to do ;) I haven't really followed Ragland since the draft, when a lot of us were kind of high in him. I know he lost his rookie season with a torn ACL, so I am guessing his price tag isn't too high. I think the new Nitro Package is well represented by both Jones and Burnett, but I would love an upgrade over Thomas, Ryan or Martinez, but not sure if Ragland would be that much of an upgrade.

Ragland is definitely an intriguing inside linebacker prospect but he doesn´t present an athletic upgrade over Ryan and Martinez.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good water cooler conversation anyway. :coffee:

If there is any truth to it, the author states Adams and a draft pick. Which does have some merit. If the Packers are thinking they aren't going to be able to resign Adams and there is enough talent below him to slide the depth chart up a notch, it makes perfect sense.

Also, if there is any truth to this, gives you an indication of what the Packers are thinking about Ty and the 3 rookie RB's.

I don't see Hundley as trade bait right now. Packers would be losing their only capable backup to AR and that alone would be much more detrimental to a SB run then possibly improving the running game.
Montgomery goes back to wr in Adams spot.... Adams for McCoy.....
If GB did it, I would be convinced of the greatness of this move. But I am already convinced the team we have right now is already great...

McCoy would give Rodgers a proven rb who can catch though... that might be the final resolve. The rookies need time, and Monty is a question mark. Rodgers needs a rb that can keep defenses honest...

All this with the assumption that Adams is going to be too expensive for us to keep after this year... the bonus of Montgomery being able to plug in for Adams, makes it a legit option imo.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts