Lazard Situation...

Reaction score
It's a gamble I'm not a fan of. Personally I'd have done all I could to perhaps do a $7M or so a year two year deal to keep him here while Watson and Doubs maturation happens. Honestly you have four years of rookie years with both of them, I see no problem ensuring Lazard is here for half those years or even through those end so the timing of investments to WRs lines up. I prefer overlap if possible but I get it. My hunch is GB didn't want to go much higher than the tender and Lazard probably wanted unreasonably high maybe.
The players have so much more input on contract negotiations in contemporary times. He might’ve Just took a shot to get a little more $$ to see what they would say. They probably thanked him but said not right now. Then his agent looked at his watch and realized his client might lose $3M if he doesn’t sign before the deadline. :laugh:
If you pay him more than his tender, you very possibly start getting closer to Julio territory. I don’t think his corner would want things to backfire either. Anyway glad he’s back and we kept his spot warm

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It's a gamble I'm not a fan of. Personally I'd have done all I could to perhaps do a $7M or so a year two year deal to keep him here while Watson and Doubs maturation happens. Honestly you have four years of rookie years with both of them, I see no problem ensuring Lazard is here for half those years or even through those end so the timing of investments to WRs lines up. I prefer overlap if possible but I get it. My hunch is GB didn't want to go much higher than the tender and Lazard probably wanted unreasonably high maybe.
Or...the rumors are true and Lazard would prefer to play in Denver or elsewhere.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or...the rumors are true and Lazard would prefer to play in Denver or elsewhere.

Could possibly be. I can almost guarantee that most players drafted by the packers (i know Lazard wasn’t drafted by the packers but I’m simply illustrating a point) didn’t go to college dreaming of playing in Green Bay. I’m sure lots of packers would prefer to play in different cities. What matters is he’s signed, he’s in camp, and I’m sure he’ll still give maximum effort no matter what team he plays for.

I’m not disagreeing with you, I’m agreeing, he probably wanted to play elsewhere, but his options were basically nonexistent once the packers tendered him.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
What matters is he’s signed, he’s in camp, and I’m sure he’ll still give maximum effort no matter what team he plays for.

I’m not disagreeing with you, I’m agreeing, he probably wanted to play elsewhere, but his options were basically nonexistent once the packers tendered him.
Agreed. I for one would rather have a perceived underpaid player in his contract year, than a perceived overpaid player in the first year of a new contract. One is hungry the other was just fed really well.

Before you ask....no I'm not referring to Aaron Rodgers.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't pi$$ down my back and tell me it's raining
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

When I was young, my mom would take me clothes shopping. Things didn't always fit well and she would say that I was "husky." I guess that's how moms tell their sons that they are destined to be linemen.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't pi$$ down my back and tell me it's raining
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

When I was young, my mom would take me clothes shopping. Things didn't always fit well and she would say that I was "husky." I guess that's how moms tell their sons that they are destined to be linemen.
Husky lol

yup!!!

MadScientist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't fault Lazard from using what leverage he could find to get a better payday. NFL careers are short, and this may well be the only time he enters a season as a team's number one receiver. Missing IT's a isn't a big deal for veterans when there isn't a scheme change.

However, I'm not to upset the Packers didn't budge. Lazard has played like a Number 3 at best, so far in his career.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point he's using whatever leverage he has because once TC starts and fines can be levied doesn't have much anymore. Now is the time to use it if you can. We'll see where it ends up. He may be overvaluing himself, I don't know what he's asking for. GB might be playing games on a longer deal, I don't know what they've offered. I do think they both want to get something done and will by TC.
Lazard hasn't produced enough to earn more than $4 mil/year, maybe $5 mil if generous. If he wants to play games and hold Gluten's feet to the fire, he could find himself making $1 million as the 5th WR for the Lions. Gotta be careful. My advice, sign the tender, dramatically increase production with Adams gone, and come back for a $10-$15 million dollar deal next year. Gotta prove it first. And I think he can.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lazard hasn't produced enough to earn more than $4 mil/year, maybe $5 mil if generous. If he wants to play games and hold Gluten's feet to the fire, he could find himself making $1 million as the 5th WR for the Lions. Gotta be careful. My advice, sign the tender, dramatically increase production with Adams gone, and come back for a $10-$15 million dollar deal next year. Gotta prove it first. And I think he can.

I would bet my son, my house, my car, and my 23 acre hunting ground that Lazard easily gets offered a $5/M per year at the worst contract had he been a FA this year.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would bet my son, my house, my car, and my 23 acre hunting ground that Lazard easily gets offered a $5/M per year at the worst contract had he been a FA this year.
Yeah I think that's right. And if a team was desperate for WR help and had the cap, he'd get more than that. (Wait a minute. The Packers need WR help. Nevermind. He'll get $4 mil from GB. I hope he takes it and has a kickass year.

In fairness to Lazard, he's done everything he has been asked and done it well. He runs well, catches well, can block, what else do we need? But he's been overshadowed by Adams. This is a unique opportunity for him. I think he works very hard, stays in great shape - and I wouldn't be surprised if he's the team's leading receiver this year. That would also give the young guys - Watson, Doubs, Toure - a chance to develop. As for Watkins and other FAs - those are short term fixes. The best outcome for GB is to have Lazard and the rookies excel. And to that extent - Lazard is a great role model.

D

Deleted member 6794

Why wouldn't I bring up the fact of Rodgers being absent from 6 (and counting) days that he had the opportunity to interact with his teammates and they with him? You see those interactions as serving no or very little purpose. I happen to disagree with you. I accept your opinion and keep stating that, but you want to keep trying to convince me and others that we are wrong. Sorry Cap, isn't happening, for me. You thinks we are unfairly picking on Rodgers, I disagree with that as well.

I'm well aware that I won't be able to change your opinion as you don't realize you're wrong :D

You actually think I was referring to a specific play being drawn up to win a game, in an unknown situation?

You talked about Rodgers showing up for OTAs possibly resulting in a game changing play. Something I disagree with.

Lazard isn't officially on the team, big difference between a contract employee with the highest salary and depth WR not under contract.

Lazard should be criticized for not signing the tender earlier as it was pretty obvious he didn't have any leverage negotiating with the Packers.

For some odd reason him not showing up for OTAs and minicamp is fine for you.

Florio isn't a credible source.

Reaction score
Lazard doesn’t have to perfect timing with 4 new Wide Receivers, that takes trust and a deeper level of commitment. Also Lazard isn’t the reason we couldn’t get over the hump. Also Lazard doesn’t make $5M more yearly than anyone else in the entire NFL. Also Lazard doesn’t have privileges on draft say. Also Lazard hasn’t been in conflict with our FO. Also Lazard isn’t scrutinized like Rodgers is. Also Lazard isn’t our Field General. Lazard doesn’t have the inspirational ability Rodgers has been afforded to lead our entire team. When Someone mentions “the Packers” we don’t immediately think of Allen Lazard do we? You reference Aaron Rodgers near immediately because he is the face of our franchise.

It’s fine, but if Rodgers misses the mark before he retires? he’ll have a target on his back with circles of speculation to why he only made it to 1 SB in 20 years. I don’t want that for him. He’s too good for that. In many seasons I wouldn’t have cared, but people want to know he’s committed, hence all the debate. I believe this game is as much mental as physical. I believe Lombardi saying you were late for his meetings unless you showed up 15 minutes early.. it led to strict discipline. That discipline is what made his players highly successful. That discipline is the one ingredient that has never changed. I believe not liking the “grind” is code for lacking discipline. The “Grind” is the part that makes you mentally strong

Last edited:
Reaction score
He kept his pad level low, made him look 100 lbs lighter. :coffee:
Just keep a shovel handy. The poop is getting thicker and we may need gravedigger to shovel us out. :whistling:

If Gilbert comes out with the “Gravedigger diet” ?? We will know the “end times” are next and the 7th Seal is on deck.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Lazard doesn’t have to perfect timing with 4 new Wide Receivers, that takes trust and a deeper level of commitment. Also Lazard isn’t the reason we couldn’t get over the hump. Also Lazard doesn’t make $5M more yearly than anyone else in the entire NFL. Also Lazard doesn’t have privileges on draft say. Also Lazard hasn’t been in conflict with our FO. Also Lazard isn’t scrutinized like Rodgers is. Also Lazard isn’t our Field General. Lazard doesn’t have the inspirational ability Rodgers has been afforded to lead our entire team. When Someone mentions “the Packers” we don’t immediately think of Allen Lazard do we? You reference Aaron Rodgers near immediately because he is the face of our franchise.

I just don't understand using different standards for players on the same team.

It’s fine, but if Rodgers misses the mark before he retires? he’ll have a target on his back with circles of speculation to why he only made it to 1 SB in 20 years. I don’t want that for him. He’s too good for that.

Rodgers deserves part of the blame for making it to only one Super Bowl. Him not showing up for OTAs should be considered a non-issue though.

I believe not liking the “grind” is code for lacking discipline.

I'm absolutely convinced Rodgers is one of the most disciplined players in the NFL.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm well aware that I won't be able to change your opinion as you don't realize you're wrong :D

You talked about Rodgers showing up for OTAs possibly resulting in a game changing play. Something I disagree with.

Lazard should be criticized for not signing the tender earlier as it was pretty obvious he didn't have any leverage negotiating with the Packers.

Florio isn't a credible source.
Yeah I haven't heard any rumors that Lazard wants to play somewhere else. And as you say, he has no leverage. Maybe his ego got bigger with Adams gone. That's not gonna help him.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I haven't heard any rumors that Lazard wants to play somewhere else. And as you say, he has no leverage. Maybe his ego got bigger with Adams gone. That's not gonna help him.

I don't blame a guy for wanting all he can get - Football careers are notoriously short.

I appreciate the way Lazard plays - Willing to do all the 'dirty work' to help the team. If he's not the best-blocking WR in the game, he is at least among them. That sets a good example for the young guys.

Glad to have him back in the fold.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't blame a guy for wanting all he can get - Football careers are notoriously short.

I appreciate the way Lazard plays - Willing to do all the 'dirty work' to help the team. If he's not the best-blocking WR in the game, he is at least among them. That sets a good example for the young guys.

Glad to have him back in the fold.
I agree with you. He's a great athlete and he works very hard. Another 20 lbs and he'd be a great TE. He has done the dirty work. I hope he has a great year and eventually gets the deal he wants. The only question is - has he already reached his ceiling? That's hard to tell playing in the shadow of Adams. We'll find out this year.

Latest posts