Lazard Situation...

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I sort of agree with you, without knowing any of the facts, one might have cause to say that what Lazard is currently doing is a d*ck move. The Packers so far appear to be following the required steps to put a 2nd round tender on a guy that began in the NFL as an UDFA. If he doesn't sign it, the rules that were agreed upon between the Owners and Players, allows them to reduce the tender to vet minimum. Again, I can't say for sure that it is what is happening to this point. However, just in general, it seems like contracts and the agreed upon rules for contracts are turning into meaningless pieces of paper.

The rules also say he didn’t have to go OTAs but you seem to be willing to vilify him for that.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The rules also say he didn’t have to go OTAs but you seem to be willing to vilify him for that.
Who Rodgers? Lazard didn't have to go to OTA's or mandatory practices this week. He hasn't signed his contract yet. I simply stated that his agents statement doesn't exactly match his clients actions.

I know that OTA's are optional. I have given all the reasons I felt Rodgers should have attended.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you simply said this.
Lazard is currently doing is a d*ck move

Maybe the rest of us are weird, but that's not exactly acknowledging he doesn't have a signed contract and simply saying anything other than you think he's being a **** by not signing and showing up.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He’ll play for Green Bay this year. He’s using what little leverage he has to try and get a better contract. Packers aren’t going to pull their offer so i don’t see the big deal in him not signing yet. So he missed OTAs; do you really think he needed the extra reps with Love at QB? OTAs, for him, are nothing more than an increased chance to hurt himself. If he sits out all of minicamp, then I’ll care. Until then, let the man try and do what he can to see if he can squeeze a few more bucks outta his employer.
He skipped mandatory practices this week, but as I stated in my last post, he's not under contract.

Your statements are a bit contradictory or at least you are trying to use a time caveat with your feelings. It is ok, with you, that he misses some practices, but if it ends up being as much as all of minicamp, you will care. Is that like "it's OK to steal, as long as it's under a certain dollar amount"?

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe Sunshine is saying that Poker is being contradictory by stating that the Packers are following the agreed upon rules if they drop him to vet minimum while at the same time badmouthing Lazard who is also following agreed upon rules.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I believe Sunshine is saying that Poker is being contradictory by stating that the Packers are following the agreed upon rules if they drop him to vet minimum while at the same time badmouthing Lazard who is also following agreed upon rules.
Lol...I'm saying that what his agent stated (below) isn't exactly matching what Lazard is doing. Lazard can sit the practices and a good part of the season out if he wants, doesn't have to show up til whenever. As I said in my next post, that might be cause for someone to say what he is doing is a **** move as much as the Packers dropping his salary to minimum would be, which they haven't/can't yet.

“Allen’s total focus is on having the best possible season he can have as a player & helping the Packers win the Lombardi Trophy. Everything he is doing is to further those objectives.”

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He skipped mandatory practices this week, but as I stated in my last post, he's not under contract.

Your statements are a bit contradictory or at least you are trying to use a time caveat with your feelings. It is ok, with you, that he misses some practices, but if it ends up being as much as all of minicamp, you will care. Is that like "it's OK to steal, as long as it's under a certain dollar amount"?

Yup. Missing a few practices, for me, it’s different from missing ALL practices.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree on your point of wanting to have time with Rodgers and all of his WR's, to see if giving Lazard a longer term deal would be smart. Unfortunately, with Rodgers not showing up for OTA's and only being in the 3 mandatory days this week, they will have limited dated to go off of, before that 6/15 date comes along.

It would definitely not be a smart approach to make contract decisions based on OTA practices. But of course it's Rodgers fault the front office won't be able to evaluate the receivers position before June 15th :rolleyes:

I haven't read anyone on this site or in the media or anywhere that believes Lazard is a 1. This has never been part of the discussion.

You might be wrong about that.

If the Packers reduce the tender down to vet minimum, he has until 4:00 pm EST, on the Tuesday following the 10th week of the season to sign the tender and still get an accrued season becoming a UFA in 2023.

True, but it would most likely lower the chances of him signing a lucrative deal next offseason if he sits out 10 weeks this season.

At this point he's using whatever leverage he has because once TC starts and fines can be levied doesn't have much anymore.

Just for the record, the Packers can't fine Lazard as long as he doesn't sign the tender.

He’ll play for Green Bay this year. He’s using what little leverage he has to try and get a better contract. Packers aren’t going to pull their offer so i don’t see the big deal in him not signing yet. So he missed OTAs; do you really think he needed the extra reps with Love at QB? OTAs, for him, are nothing more than an increased chance to hurt himself. If he sits out all of minicamp, then I’ll care. Until then, let the man try and do what he can to see if he can squeeze a few more bucks outta his employer.

Are you sure you wanted to say minicamp? Or did you think about training camp? Because he already missed minicamp this week.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think anyone, myself included has said Lazard is a NFL #1 wide receiver. Some, myself included do believe that he will be the Packers #1 wide receiver. This could be where the confusion lies. IMO.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
D

Deleted member 6794

Saw nothing about anyone in that article believing he is a WR1 - only that he has a chance to be GB's #1 if he plays.

You're right, I missed that you were talking about someone currently believing Lazard is a legitimate #1 wide receiver.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
it's Rodgers fault the front office won't be able to evaluate the receivers position before June 15th :rolleyes:
I'm glad you see the light finally! :rolleyes:

I never said that they won't be able to, I said that by Rodgers skipping OTA's: "they will have limited data to go off of". There is a big difference between the 2 statements. You even quoted me, how did you miss that?

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm glad you see the light finally! :rolleyes:

I never said that they won't be able to, I said that by Rodgers skipping OTA's: "they will have limited data to go off of". There is a big difference between the 2 statements. You even quoted me, how did you miss that?

Actually I don't care how you phrased it. Bottom line, it's ridiculous to suggest the Packers would have had enough data on their new receivers by June 15th if Rodgers had shown up for six meaningless OTA practices.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually I don't care how you phrased it. Bottom line, it's ridiculous to suggest the Packers would have had enough data on their new receivers by June 15th if Rodgers had shown up for six meaningless OTA practices.
Never underestimate the lengths of ridiculousness one will go to in order to maintain and ridiculous position.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would they have garnered more than with him not...perhaps, no once could say definitively no.

If it had garnered anything more would it have been truly measurable or enough to be worthwhile....more than likely no.

D

Deleted member 6794

Would they have garnered more than with him not...perhaps, no once could say definitively no.

If it had garnered anything more would it have been truly measurable or enough to be worthwhile....more than likely no.

It's common knowledge among the reasonable posters around here that it takes at least three years of regular season and playoff action to fairly evaluate a draft class. I agree it's still too early to make a fair evaluation of Love despite having seen him play in preseason and the regular season.

Yet if someone wants to take a shot at Rodgers suddenly six OTA practices should be considered enough to make an educated guess about the team's entire receiving corps. I'm sorry, but that doesn't make any sense.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's common knowledge among the reasonable posters around here that it takes at least three years of regular season and playoff action to fairly evaluate a draft class. I agree it's still too early to make a fair evaluation of Love despite having seen him play in preseason and the regular season.

Yet if someone wants to take a shot at Rodgers suddenly six OTA practices should be considered enough to make an educated guess about the team's entire receiving corps. I'm sorry, but that doesn't make any sense.

LOL I think both of the sides are playing foolish to a point - dismissing entirely items which hold some potential truths, but claiming as definitive truths to not be questioned is all. I tend to agree with both of you honestly to a degree here.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Again, you are twisting words to suit you. I never said that the Packers would have enough data to make an informed decision had Rodgers been at OTA's. If you don't think interactions between a QB and WR's that he has never met would be beneficial, I'm done trying to explain it.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
LOL I think both of the sides are playing foolish to a point - dismissing entirely items which hold some potential truths, but claiming as definitive truths to not be questioned is all. I tend to agree with both of you honestly to a degree here.
To be honest, I think both Captain and I have a different viewpoint on Rodgers and it probably has clouded both of our viewpoints on him, that we feel the need to take things to the extreme, to try and make a point with the other guy. I've stated it before, I'm disappointed in any player that doesn't show up for OTA's, I think it shows a lack of commitment on their part. Rodgers is an easy target I admit, but given what has transpired over the last year +, I think he has legitimately opened the doors up to be scrutinized for his actions. Had he skipped OTA's 3 years ago, I doubt many of us blink all that much over it.

D

Deleted member 6794

Again, you are twisting words to suit you. I never said that the Packers would have enough data to make an informed decision had Rodgers been at OTA's. If you don't think interactions between a QB and WR's that he has never met would be beneficial, I'm done trying to explain it.

Once again, you took another shot at Rodgers for not showing up for OTAs because in your opinion the Packers won't be able to have enough data on their receiving corps to make a thorough evaluation of their receiving corps because of it.

That's absolutely bogus, they won't be able to do that even after six regular season games let alone the same number of meaningless practices in May or June.

As a side note, I agree the interaction between a QB and WR is beneficial but there's enough time for that to happen during training camp before the start of the season.

D

Deleted member 6794

I've stated it before, I'm disappointed in any player that doesn't show up for OTA's, I think it shows a lack of commitment on their part.

Yet you only criticize Rodgers because of it. Lazard didn't even show up for minicamp but I haven't seen anyone criticizing him.

Rodgers is an easy target I admit, but given what has transpired over the last year +, I think he has legitimately opened the doors up to be scrutinized for his actions.

There would be some truth to it if Rodgers had struggled last season. With him winning the MVP it should be considered a non-issue though.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be fair the difference between Lazard not showing at minicamps and Rodgers (such a dumb discussion IMO LOL) is that Lazard technically until the tender is signed doesn't hold an active contract, Rodgers did.

D

Deleted member 6794

To be fair the difference between Lazard not showing at minicamps and Rodgers (such a dumb discussion IMO LOL) is that Lazard technically until the tender is signed doesn't hold an active contract, Rodgers did.

Yet those offseason practices are voluntary for players under the contract.

In addition, in my opinion Lazard should be criticized for not having signed the tender by now. But that's a whole different story.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yet those offseason practices are voluntary for players under the contract.

In addition, in my opinion Lazard should be criticized for not having signed the tender by now. But that's a whole different story.

Agree with both those statements personally.

Members online

Latest posts