Lambeau neighborhood

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Good read. It never ceases to amaze me how much that area has changed just in my lifetime. I used to get up there more often with a couple of sisters living in Green Bay, and it is only a 50 minute drive from Oshkosh...but...everytime I do get up there, something else has changed noticeably .... seeing all of those businesses west of the stadium on Lombardi before Hwy 41, essentially gone was an eye opener.

Is the Red Lobster that Wolf and Holmgren took Reggie White to woo him to Green Bay still there?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Good read. It never ceases to amaze me how much that area has changed just in my lifetime. I used to get up there more often with a couple of sisters living in Green Bay, and it is only a 50 minute drive from Oshkosh...but...everytime I do get up there, something else has changed noticeably .... seeing all of those businesses west of the stadium on Lombardi before Hwy 41, essentially gone was an eye opener.

Is the Red Lobster that Wolf and Holmgren took Reggie White to woo him to Green Bay still there?
Yes

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
The only constant in life is change. I went to a tailgate in a backyard that opened to the Lambeau parking lot on the north side. It was awesome and the neighborhoods are part of the charm of Lambeau. I hope this is kept intact as much as possible.

Sky King

Reaction score
I don't begrudge the Packers for trying to remain fiscally relevant. But I will miss the unspoiled identity of the neighboring community that has so wonderfully defined the Lambeau setting. The challenge for the Packers will be to enhance that longstanding identity without losing the traditional charm that came along with it. If they make it too commercial then the charm and appeal that has been drawing people to Lambeau will merely be replaced by attractions that they can readily visit in many other places. Hopefully, they recognize and respect what has made the Lambeau experience so pleasantly unique. Being trendy is not unique.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't begrudge the Packers for trying to remain fiscally relevant. But I will miss the unspoiled identity of the neighboring community that has so wonderfully defined the Lambeau setting. The challenge for the Packers will be to enhance that longstanding identity without losing the traditional charm that came along with it. If they make it too commercial then the charm and appeal that has been drawing people to Lambeau will merely be replaced by attractions that they can readily visit in many other places. Hopefully, they recognize and respect what has made the Lambeau experience so pleasantly unique. Being trendy is not unique.
South Of Lombardi Ave to the east and west of Lambeau has been commercial "for ever." To the south are the houses that have backyards to the parking lot. These the Packers are slowly purchasing to turn into overflow "yard" parking lots. North of Lombardi Ave has been and still is residential. West of the stadium south of Lombardi is where the Packers are concentrating on commercial developments to replace the ones that were there.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
May I ask why they don't just make a parking garage nearby? Keep the houses nearby just a big parking ramp.

Alyssa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I grew up in the next neighborhood over and every time I go home I am always surprised by all that has changed. I do remember when the houses on Shadow were first converted to party houses and how upset it made some of the people who lived there. We have quite a few friends on surrounding streets (Raleigh, Oneida, Spence) and they talked frequently of the changes that it brought to their neighborhood.

Does anybody know of the duplex on the corner of Lombardi/Oneida, right across from Shopko Hall? I seem to remember that it used to look so completely different. When I went to GB over Christmas I saw that it now looks to be a Packer house, too. I also know of the apartment buildings referenced in the article. I remember one burned down a long time ago, but the remaining looks to be Packer-fied now.

Also, Kmart is completely gone now! I knew they bought it, but that was fast! No more Subway/gas station, either...

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great topic. My feelings on this, are mixed. I've been going to Green Bay for games since 1982. The mediocre and then terrible teams were not good times on the field (and off the field for a good few of them). However, I absolutely prefer everything else. The old green facade that shaped the stadium ... I do like what they've done to the place, but I much prefer the old way it all was.

As for the neighborhood, well ... it was a hell of a lot better in the 80's, when you could stay at a hotel for $40 a night, without this two-night minimum stay crap. But, that said - we have no rich owner and to sustain viability on and off the field, the team and the city really had no choice but to make everything profit and revenue-oriented. I have no problem with that. However - someone above mentioned a parking garage near the stadium - they better never do that. That would be a horrible eyesore. As long as Kroll's stays right there, everything will be golden.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great topic. My feelings on this, are mixed. I've been going to Green Bay for games since 1982. The mediocre and then terrible teams were not good times on the field (and off the field for a good few of them). However, I absolutely prefer everything else. The old green facade that shaped the stadium ... I do like what they've done to the place, but I much prefer the old way it all was.

As for the neighborhood, well ... it was a hell of a lot better in the 80's, when you could stay at a hotel for $40 a night, without this two-night minimum stay crap. But, that said - we have no rich owner and to sustain viability on and off the field, the team and the city really had no choice but to make everything profit and revenue-oriented. I have no problem with that. However - someone above mentioned a parking garage near the stadium - they better never do that. That would be a horrible eyesore. As long as Kroll's stays right there, everything will be golden.
Agree with you on the parking ramp. What an awful idea

As far as the hotels demanding 2 night stays, well that's just demand being higher than supply. 50,000 to 60,0000 people coming to an area with less than 10,000 rooms will do that.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well ... in theory, I see what you mean, but I think there's a lot more to it than that. The seating capacity was 60,000 or so in the 80's. There are a LOT of fans who are local and do not stay the night. That was the same case in the 80's. I think the biggest reason for the 2-night minimum stay now, is because they're not only doubling the cost of one night, but making you stay twice ... that all adds up to people who do stay, to eat, drink, see the Hall of Fame, shop, and basically spend money in town for two days, etc. - it all benefits Green Bay and Ashwaubenon's economies. This in turn, goes back to Brown County who owns the stadium, etc. It's just recycling money that, essentially, benefits the Packers and helps keep them financially strong.

Latest posts