Kolb Compared to Rodgers

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
"McNabb clearly isn't on the downside of his career, based on the strong numbers he's put up the past two seasons and Philadelphia's overall success. Despite that, though, the Eagles' brass has seen far more of Kolb than any of us, and they must think he's ready to be the new face of the franchise to even consider dealing McNabb.

This is very much like what Green Bay went through with Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers," an NFC general manager said. "They knew Favre could still play at a high level, but they felt Rodgers was ready and they were going to commit to him. So they made a tough decision."

Like Packers in 2008, Eagles appear ready to move on with new QB

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the title of the thread is a bit misleading.

They're not comparing Kolb to Rodgers.

They're comparing the Eagles' QB situation to the Packers' QB situation in 08.

They're not saying Kolb is as good as Rodgers, but rather that the Eagles' management trust him like the Packers' did with Rodgers.

OP
OP
3irty1

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
Truth, but on the NFL website the story is subtitled as "One reason why the Eagles might trade Donovan Mcnabb: They think Kolb could be the next Aaron Rodgers". So I blame them for misleading me! :p

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
its understandable. They want to move on from their franchise QB, the comparisons seem to fit.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Truth, but on the NFL website the story is subtitled as "One reason why the Eagles might trade Donovan Mcnabb: They think Kolb could be the next Aaron Rodgers". So I blame them for misleading me! :p
Yeah, it's misleading, but they're reffering to the situation. And the NFL doesn't say that they think themselves that Kolb is the next Rodgers. They say that the Eagles do.

But let's remember, a lot of people, myself including, didn't think Rodgers would be the solution at QB (some delusionals still don't). I supported him from day one, contrary to some, but I wasn't sure he'd be the kind of player he already is...

If you asked me to rate the QBs in the 2008 preseason, I'd probably put Rodgers in 19th, 20th, maybe lower...

Right now, IMHO he's the 4th best QB, and not far behind the others. And with the potential to be the #1 QB in 2 years top...

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Almost every team now thinks that they can pull off what we did. In fact the Cardinals, 49ers and Panthers are using Aaron Rodgers as an adjective to showcase that they're imitating us. Respectively Matt Lienart, Alex Smith and Matt Moore were all in the shadows of veteran QB's and next year will be their chance to shine. The fact that they used Aaron Rodgers as an example and are implementing the "Rodgers" method shows how much the league admires and fears us.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McNabb to the Redskins, let the favre vikings rodgers packers comparisons start

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is going to be good. I dont know the last time I was excited to see the Redskins play

This move really did nothing in terms of a packers perspective. We're still going to play against him next season. I would've liked to avoid him but he's not so dangerous to really make me care. Either way the Pack must game plan for the best in the business now. Can't have a repeat of '09 against the better QB's.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This move really did nothing in terms of a packers perspective. We're still going to play against him next season. I would've liked to avoid him but he's not so dangerous to really make me care. Either way the Pack must game plan for the best in the business now. Can't have a repeat of '09 against the better QB's.
I don't think he's one of the best in the business. I see him the way I see Romo. A guy that if you give him some easy time, he might carve you. But if you rush him, and confuse him, he gets lost...

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think he's one of the best in the business. I see him the way I see Romo. A guy that if you give him some easy time, he might carve you. But if you rush him, and confuse him, he gets lost...

Yup I would have to agree, he isn't much of an elite status but is pretty decent. He might not really be a threat but still the Packers should gameplan to the fullest.

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is going to be good. I dont know the last time I was excited to see the Redskins play

Reid isn’t stupid. He knows that a large portion of McNabbs success is based on his mobility. That portion of his game likely is in decline and Reid would know that better than anyone.

The Eagles made a great move. It may not look that way the first few games of the season. But it will become apparent by the end of the season.

IMO, both teams just handed 2010 to the Cowboys.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reid isn’t stupid. He knows that a large portion of McNabbs success is based on his mobility. That portion of his game likely is in decline and Reid would know that better than anyone.

The Eagles made a great move. It may not look that way the first few games of the season. But it will become apparent by the end of the season.

I don't know... The redskins have a pretty good D. They have a very good RB, that gets tired easily. They brought in other 2 to keep him fresh.

They're going to draft a LT for sure, which will help their blocking issues (though it won't solve it, their line is as bad as ours from early the season).

They've got a QB, that though isn't elite, is for sure a top 15 qb in the league. He can win games for them.

And let's not forget the Giants. They were an elite team in 08, and were a very good team until their secondary got depleted.

I don't think it's a given that the Cowboys will win the NFC East. They have the most talent, but they have had the most talent since 07, and yet they've failed over and over again...

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
This is different than Rodgers. Rodgers was good enough to be seriously considered at #1 overall coming out of college, Kolb was a mid-round guy who had a great off-season and worked his way into the upper 2nd round.

Rodgers had the talent, and he was waiting his turn, Kolb is far more of a wild card.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is different than Rodgers. Rodgers was good enough to be seriously considered at #1 overall coming out of college, Kolb was a mid-round guy who had a great off-season and worked his way into the upper 2nd round.

Rodgers had the talent, and he was waiting his turn, Kolb is far more of a wild card.

I liked what I saw out of him the past season in the few starts he did have. But who knows

OP
OP
3irty1

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
I have to say im excited to see what the kid can do. As GBP (I think?) said, No one can say they were 100% confident with Rodgers when he first stepped on the field, we may have supported him, but couldn't have expected what he is now. The only one's who could have that knowledge is the coaching staff, and thats the same as the Eagle's... but to DELIBERATELY give him to a rival... thats ridiculous.

SheepsHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think that's an excellent analysis.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless the Skins play a h3ll of lot better this season than they did last year McNabb better be mobile! That offense was woeful big time. DM won't have the talent around him like he did in Philly so it might be along season for him while the team and players adjust to Shanahan and his scheme.

danielchile

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peter King did the same thing.

"I'd be worried about the Eagles too, because Kolb may be the kind of quarterback for Reid that Aaron Rodgers is for Mike McCarthy in Green Bay. No one knew what to expect out of Rodgers except McCarthy, and Rodgers has been aces, obviously. No one's seen Kolb in practice every day except Reid and his staff."

I'm glad Rodgers is being used as a parameter, but I don't think Kolb will be as great as Rodgers is. Maybe a top 15 QB.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless the Skins play a h3ll of lot better this season than they did last year McNabb better be mobile! That offense was woeful big time. DM won't have the talent around him like he did in Philly so it might be along season for him while the team and players adjust to Shanahan and his scheme.

When they draft Okung with the number 4 pick in the first round.........it will be a big step forward as far as McNabb running for his life is concerned.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peter King did the same thing.

"I'd be worried about the Eagles too, because Kolb may be the kind of quarterback for Reid that Aaron Rodgers is for Mike McCarthy in Green Bay. No one knew what to expect out of Rodgers except McCarthy, and Rodgers has been aces, obviously. No one's seen Kolb in practice every day except Reid and his staff."

I'm glad Rodgers is being used as a parameter, but I don't think Kolb will be as great as Rodgers is. Maybe a top 15 QB.
Completely agree with you.
When they draft Okung with the number 4 pick in the first round.........it will be a big step forward as far as McNabb running for his life is concerned.
Agreed. But they're still going to need a LG, a C, a RG, and a RT...

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this was a bad trade for the Eagles because it was in division. With a good draft and players playing up to potential, this could really help balance out Washington if they can manage to either get by or fix that brutal o line.

Kolb seems to be an OK QB, but system QB's never seem to make it as often as pro style guys. I am not sold on Kolb, his numbers were big but the did play KC. Will be an interesting year for him, Philly could be looking forward to next years draft for a future Q if this does not pan out.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this was a bad trade for the Eagles because it was in division. With a good draft and players playing up to potential, this could really help balance out Washington if they can manage to either get by or fix that brutal o line.

Kolb seems to be an OK QB, but system QB's never seem to make it as often as pro style guys. I am not sold on Kolb, his numbers were big but the did play KC. Will be an interesting year for him, Philly could be looking forward to next years draft for a future Q if this does not pan out.
I believe with this move they're tied to Kolb as long as Reid is the HC, for better or for worse...

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts