Kampman will play outside linebacker

The Coordinator

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kampman will play outside linebacker
By Greg A. Bedard of the Journal Sentinel
Feb. 3, 2009 2:24 p.m.

Green Bay -- Mike McCarthy's new coaching staff had their first meeting just this morning, but it has already been determined that Aaron Kampman will play outside linebacker in the 3-4 scheme being implemented by coordinator Dom Capers.

"When we line up the first base defense, yes, Aaron will be an outside linebacker," McCarthy said today, just a few moments after the 11 new additions to the staff were made available to the media for the first time.

It's not a surprise that the 6-foot-4, 265-pound Kampman will be moved from the left defensive end position where he has been a fixture since 2004. But it's one of the key positions in Capers' scheme. McCarthy doesn't think Kampman will have any trouble making the transition, and won't need much tutoring from new outside linebackers coach Kevin Greene, who played the position under Capers in Pittsburgh and Carolina.

"Aaron Kampman knows how to rush the passer and the first responsibility for the outside linebacker position in the base personnel is to rush the passer," McCarthy said. "I think you'll see Kevin's impact more with the other players than you would possibly see with the older players. But Aaron Kampman is going to be an excellent fit for what we're going to try to do as we move forward with this new scheme."

McCarthy said Kampman already does some of the things that will be asked more of him in the new defense.

"If you break it down, have you ever seen Aaron Kampman drop into coverage on a fire zone (blitz)? Yes he has. How many times will he be asked to do that? It depends," McCarthy said. "It's not about lining up in the 3-4, you have to line up in the 3-4 front. That's not what going to the 3-4 means. Now there's different types of 3-4 defenses in the league, there's the traditional 3-4 and that's played differently than some of the other teams. You can get to the over front, you can get to the under front, you can get to all those different types of fronts in the 3-4 defense. We're going to utilize our players."

McCarthy did admit the players will be "learning a new language" when it comes to getting the scheme down pat.

As far as all the changes, McCarthy said it has certainly altered things in the organization and the players are giving positive feedback.

"Change creates excitement," McCarthy said. "I think the Green Bay Packers organization will never lack for energy, it's such a great place to work from a culture standpoint, the passion of all the people that work here. But there's definitely a ton of energy on the third floor right now. Today's exciting, we're finally all back, everybody's here. Our staff is complete and you can just tell from the response of the players, the people close to the football team, that everyone's excited about our new direction.

"Change is part of our business, it come in different forms. But we're excited about the new direction we're going with our defense."

There was one addition to the staff we laid out on Monday -- former Saints, Jets, Redskins and Giants kick returner Chad Morton was added as the coaching administrator, which opened up when Scott McCurley was promoted to defensive quality control.

We better make a splash in FA for at least one stud defensive end.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that Kampman will basically be a standup defensive end who's only job will be to rush the passer from the outside. He'll be able to play both sides and use his relentless motor to pressure the QB.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JenningsLongCatch said:
I think that Kampman will basically be a standup defensive end who's only job will be to rush the passer from the outside. He'll be able to play both sides and use his relentless motor to pressure the QB.

How come? If he's only a stand-up DE, with a NT, plus Jenkins, and ex DT and another DE, suddenly we're a 4-3 team again, only disguised...
I think he's capable of doing all an 3-4 olb can do. Yeah, I get the point that he will MOSTLY rush the passer, but to say he'll ONLY be doing this...

nelanator

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kampman should have very good trade value, and that would be the Packers' best option at this point. Based on other recent trades, they should be able to get a second rounder at least, and possibly as high as a 4th rounder to go with it. Use those picks to draft players that actually fit the system.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
nelanator said:
Kampman should have very good trade value, and that would be the Packers' best option at this point. Based on other recent trades, they should be able to get a second rounder at least, and possibly as high as a 4th rounder to go with it. Use those picks to draft players that actually fit the system.

Trade Sackman??? Are you high? Or maybe just NOT A CHEESEHEAD. Kampman is the 3rd best sacker in the last 4 years, besides ONLY playing on double teams... Maybe we should trade Woodson, Collins, Rodgers and Jennings too...

nelanator

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackersRS said:
nelanator said:

Trade Sackman??? Are you high? Or maybe just NOT A CHEESEHEAD. Kampman is the 3rd best sacker in the last 4 years, besides ONLY playing on double teams... Maybe we should trade Woodson, Collins, Rodgers and Jennings too...

He did that in a 4-3 defense, in which he is a prototypical edge rusher and one of the best in the business. As a OLB in a 3-4 I'm not sure that he has the athleticism to be anything but a liability when playing in pass coverage. The position just asks for a different skillset than we know Kampman has. He could possibly be an even more dangerous pass rusher, but when he is in the game it would almost be a given that he would be rushing and, thus, fairly easy to gameplan against him.

I could very well eat my words, but I don't see him being anywhere near the player in Capers' defense than he was in years past. It would probably be better for both he and the team to get whatever compensation they can get for him. But this topic has been debated and wrote about a ton in various message boards, blogs, and publications since Capers was hired and I stand on the side that thinks that it is a waste of the man's talents to play him the way that he is set to play under Capers.

Reaction score
PackersRS said:
nelanator said:

yah lets get rid of the whole team also why dont you . Kampmon wll be raw next year with one of the greats ,kevin greene .

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I was a little harsh on nelanator, but I'm tired of people booing and always trashing our team. Let's have a little faith. He was a 5th round pick, they said he was too slow and too small, and he always overcame. This guy is great, the 2nd best defensive player I've seen ( #92 ) on Green and Gold. He WILL be great at OLB.

nelanator

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackersRS said:
Yeah, I was a little harsh on nelanator, but I'm tired of people booing and always trashing our team. Let's have a little faith. He was a 5th round pick, they said he was too slow and too small, and he always overcame. This guy is great, the 2nd best defensive player I've seen ( #92 ) on Green and Gold. He WILL be great at OLB.

Hey, I can take it. But I try to think as objectively as possible by putting my homerism aside, and I don't think that saying that Kampman would be better off on a different team is trashing anybody in this case.

I am a fan of the 3-4 defense myself, but I think that the Packer defense will need a personnel overhaul in order to run it successfully. Any time a team switches defensive schemes the same problems arise and the Packers are no different. Kampman will be 30 in November and is in his prime right now. There is going to be and adjustment period with him, obviously, and I think that it would be risky and a waste of a great player in the prime of his career to keep him around.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't Kampman play LB in college? I don't think it will be all that difficult for him, really. And Capers did say he'll adjust his scheme to fit his player and not the other way around. :)

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pugger said:
Didn't Kampman play LB in college? I don't think it will be all that difficult for him, really. And Capers did say he'll adjust his scheme to fit his player and not the other way around. :)

Exactly:

"Aaron Kampman was highly recruited out of high school, and he chose to play for the University of Iowa and Hall of Fame coach Hayden Fry. Kampman played nine games as a true freshman in 1998, recording 49 tackles. After the season, Coach Fry retired, and Kampman played the rest of his career for Kirk Ferentz.

As a sophomore, Kampman started all 11 games for Iowa at linebacker, and he finished second on the team with 103 tackles. He had five games with ten or more tackles in 1999 and was academic All-Big Ten."

If a Hall of Famer thought he could play LB in a 4-3, he can play LB in a 3-4. I know he isn't younger, but 30 for a linebacker is the prime, and he's smart enough to be able to adapt...

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackersRS said:
JenningsLongCatch said:

How come? If he's only a stand-up DE, with a NT, plus Jenkins, and ex DT and another DE, suddenly we're a 4-3 team again, only disguised...
I think he's capable of doing all an 3-4 olb can do. Yeah, I get the point that he will MOSTLY rush the passer, but to say he'll ONLY be doing this...

I agree. He'll cover the flat a little, maybe play some zone coveage, but I'll bet that 9-out-of-10 times he'll be rushing the passer. You can't call it a 4-3 in disguise either because the pass rush in a 3-4 is done mainly by the OLB's. He'll be able to lineup in different places and play key matches.

I was only trying to say that I don't see him covering a TE down the field or having to run with a RB.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 3-4 that the Cowboys, San Diego, Baltimore and Pitsburgh play utilizes 2 diferent types of OLB. One mainly rush the passer, and the SAM linebacker that plays the strong side and covers the te/rb and serves more like a run protector. Of course both will exchange roles somethimes, but most times it's like this. Kampman can play rush OLB.