Josh Jones wants out of Green Bay.....

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It's not fundamentally different from someone saying "if King continues to be fragile, then..."
Except one is continuing along the same path and the other isn't. ;) Honestly, I keep thinking about Sam Shields and his concussion issues when I think about King and his shoulder.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Kevin King and his potential, but my fear is that his shoulder(s) just aren't going to hold up, its been a chronic condition for him, dating back a long time and I just don't know how that changes. Let's hope it does, we all want the same thing.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
nothing is proven until they've done it long time. otherwise there are million things that derail a career. i've seen enough of him and they way he plays when healthy, the kid can play and play well. if Patrick mahomes blows out knee and is never the same, was he bad pick? They did take a bit of a risk on the shoulder, but it's what your left with at every single point in the draft. There is hardly a sure fire pick anywhere at any point. Lots of players have injuries in college and are picked very high, Nick bosa anyone?

They're all risks. King can play, he's already shown it. he just needs to stay healthy.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the reminder *insert image of guy smoking a joint* of his suspension and why I would continue to only call him a "decent" back, with potential. ;)

Jamal Williams is decent.

From a talent perspective, Jones is a top tier back. It's obvious statistically, and on tape.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Jamal Williams is decent.

From a talent perspective, Jones is a top tier back. It's obvious statistically, and on tape.

I guess you and I have a different definition of "decent". I would define it in regards to NFL talent, as being above average or good.

I would label Jamal Williams as just an average RB, who still has a lot to prove in his 3rd year.

Jones top tier? Could be, but I will believe it once he has enough carries to prove it.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was anyone at the OTA? Other than what info is reported, I didn't hear much on the special teams unit. Did y'all see who took return reps?

Reaction score
We can always try to pick up a late rounder. But in the end it just may be time to move on.
It truly is a good point that if Brice and Whitehead came off the bench ahead of Jones, he’s likely expendable. It might just be the best thing to put the distractions behind us.

I’d trade him to an NFC North team, he could actually be more beneficial taking up space elsewhere :tup:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess you and I have a different definition of "decent". I would define it in regards to NFL talent, as being above average or good.

I would label Jamal Williams as just an average RB, who still has a lot to prove in his 3rd year.

Jones top tier? Could be, but I will believe it once he has enough carries to prove it.

Yeah, when I hear decent, I think of average.

My reasoning is when somebody says that something is decent, they're usually not being positive, or negative. Generally if I think something/somebody is good, I say it's good, not decent.

Reaction score

My reasoning is when somebody says that something is decent, they're usually not being positive, or negative. Generally if I think something/somebody is good, I say it's good, not decent.
That’s a decent way to look at it. Good should clearly be better than decent or it’s not a decent example of how good can be. Just my Opinion tho.. there’s a decent chance I’m wrong about this..and that ain’t good.
PS. I showed this to my coworker and she said “that’s actually a decent explanation”. True story!

Last edited:

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
He'd do a whole lot better if he'd "respectfully beg for" a trade. I doubt we could trade him far a bag of mouth guards.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rob Demovsky‏Verified account @RobDemovsky
Packers safety Josh Jones is skipping the voluntary OTAs and working out in Florida because he’s hoping to be traded, a source told ESPN. The source said the 2017 second-round pick believes it would be best for both parties if they parted ways. Story coming on ESPN shortly.

Good luck finding a trade partner for this guy. Who does he think he is Antonio Brown?

Packers would be lucky to get a 7th rounder for a guy who hasn't proven much.

Way to give up on a team, good riddance Mr. Jones!

What a crybaby.

Too much competition for him at safety, so rather than trying to earn his way back onto the field by working for it, he wants out.

No team needs a guy like that.

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty simple. This situation calls for the wise ways of Vince Lombardi. Don't let the door hit you in the *** on your way out. Bye, Bye and good luck.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does anyone know the plan with Tramon? Are they playing him at safety or corner? Or both? And are they even planning to keep him?

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

I would say that was a decent explanation of why we disagreed. ;)

There is no doubt that Aaron Jones has the potential to be an above average RB and that could go from a scale of 6-9. But he will have to stay healthy, be given more carries and damn it....."stay off the pot".

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
just playing a bit of devils advocate here, just as i had a look on the espn site for the story

i realise that rob demovski is regarded very highly by most, if not all, here. but he only has a source, that he has quoted.

some here have said that jones has made his thoughts and actions public, but i saw no quote directly from him, he has only not turned up for OTA's, which are from what i know voluntary. but i'm assuming pretty much every fit player will turn up for these? unless they have a good reason.
he left the preseason programme to go and train in florida, is this unusual? he may just have wanted to train in some warmer climate.

even MLF's comment that he's letting Gutey deal with it, doesn't really confirm the rumour, but admitedly doesn't sound good in my perspective.

don't get me wrong, if what has been reported is true, then F*** the guy off, if he's not willing to fight for his place, then he has no place on my team

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good riddance. If the Packers can't find a trade partner by the end of the month, release him outright. There is no point in keeping someone employed if they don't want to be employee by your organization. He will be a cancer in the locker room otherwise

D

Deleted member 6794

I thought he could get his snaps at ILB, so this is really bad for our depth at this position. I don't want to go into the season with Blake, Burks, Crawford and Summers.

Are there any good free agents available?

Josh Bynes or Manti Te'o most likely are the best inside linebackers currently available in free agency.

I don't know if I'd trade him though. Make him report, or fine him, and then cut him at the end of camp. Sends a message to the rest of the roster too.

The Packers should actually put him on the did not report list and fine him if he doesn't show up for mandatory minicamp and training camp. The only scenario in which he should be released before the cut down to 53 is if he ends up being a locker room cancer after practicing again.

When regimes change, it's only natural that the new FO will give more opportunity leeway to their own picks and less to the previous ones.

Jones could have convinced them there was no reason to upgrade the position by performing at a decent level. Obviously he didn't use his chances.

He has no trade value. I like the idea of moving him to the box next to Martinez. Let’s face it, GB didn’t know what to do with him in the last two year. With the S group stronger, I suggest moving him to the box, give him a little time to learn the position. He’ll be more productive, should be happier, and maybe squelch a trade request.

But given his track record, they’d be lucky to get a 6th off 7th round pick. I’m not ready to give up on him. I am ready for him to have an established role in the D, maybe at ILB.

It seems Jones has stated that he doesn't plan on working hard to receive playing time in Pettine's defense. Therefore the Packers shouldn't consider him for a roster spot this season no matter the position.

I realize that they had lots of picks, but the reality of this league is that if you come out of a draft in which your first selection was #33 and you have a good starting corner, a rotational defensive lineman, a good starting running back, and a reliable 3rd down back, you did OK. Not amazing, but OK.

The Packers had the 29th pick in this draft but Thompson thought it was a smart idea to trade back into the second round to select King instead of picking Watt. That was obviously a mistake.

We can always try to pick up a late rounder. But in the end it just may be time to move on.

I highly doubt any team would have been interested in trading a late rounder for Jones before he decided to skip OTAs. Now there's not a chance in my opinion.

some here have said that jones has made his thoughts and actions public, but i saw no quote directly from him, he has only not turned up for OTA's, which are from what i know voluntary.

While OTAs are voluntary close to all players show up for them. Jones definitely has performed at a level good enough to justify sitting out any practices.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be fair, a good number of people thought it was a good idea to trade back and get King AND Beigel in that draft. I was worried about King and thought Beigel had the work ethic and talent to be a pretty good situational guy. This is why I don't work for an NFL team LOL.

I was also worried about Watt. So far he's been by far the more productive player and it's not even close. But part of me see's major injuries in his career as I tend to think his physical stature has help in building that. That tends to take a toll as the body ages. I could be wrong and I don't want to make accusations but for some reason I think torn pec's, patellar tendons, etc are in his future. They usually start to take their toll around the time of contracts too. I was worried about that for us. But so far, who wouldn't want 20 sacks on their team in a player's first 2 years. I'd say that's a smidge better than the guy who's always injured and a camp cut.

D

Deleted member 6794

To be fair, a good number of people thought it was a good idea to trade back and get King AND Beigel in that draft. I was worried about King and thought Beigel had the work ethic and talent to be a pretty good situational guy. This is why I don't work for an NFL team LOL.

There were a lot of people advocating for the Packers to draft Watt who ended up being upset that Thompson traded back into the second round to select King.

It's too long ago for me to remember which side I supported though ;)

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
oh i know a lot of people wanted Watt, he was a WI boy. There was a lot to like about him too.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There were a lot of people advocating for the Packers to draft Watt who ended up being upset that Thompson traded back into the second round to select King.

It's too long ago for me to remember which side I supported though ;)

At the end of the day, we're all guessing.

Except me. I'm just good at it.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Jones could have convinced them there was no reason to upgrade the position by performing at a decent level. Obviously he didn't use his chances.

The Packers had the 29th pick in this draft but Thompson thought it was a smart idea to trade back into the second round to select King instead of picking Watt. That was obviously a mistake.

Neither of these comments are relevant to what I said in the first place.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
just playing a bit of devils advocate here, just as i had a look on the espn site for the story

i realise that rob demovski is regarded very highly by most, if not all, here. but he only has a source, that he has quoted.

some here have said that jones has made his thoughts and actions public, but i saw no quote directly from him, he has only not turned up for OTA's, which are from what i know voluntary. but i'm assuming pretty much every fit player will turn up for these? unless they have a good reason.
he left the preseason programme to go and train in florida, is this unusual? he may just have wanted to train in some warmer climate.

even MLF's comment that he's letting Gutey deal with it, doesn't really confirm the rumour, but admitedly doesn't sound good in my perspective.

don't get me wrong, if what has been reported is true, then F*** the guy off, if he's not willing to fight for his place, then he has no place on my team
he hinted his frustration on that youtube/radio/podcast show he was on weekly during last season. it's no longer a rumor. many players have commented on it now. the head coach has commented on it. no one's being coy about it.