• Round 3, (#93): DT Montravius Adams, Auburn
  • Round 4,(#108): OLB Vince Biegel, Wisconsin
  • Round 4,(#134): RB Jamaal Williams, BYU
  • Round 5,(#175): WR DeAngelo Yancey, Purdue
  • Round 5,(#182): RB Aaron Jones, UTEP
  • Round 6,(#212): OL Kofi Amichia, USF
  • Round 7,(#238): RB Devante Mays, Utah State
  • Round 7,(#247): WR Malachi Dupre, LSU

What's funny is that if King can stay healthy and is a good starting corner, it's not ultimately a terrible draft.

On the front end of each draft, we like to envision scenarios where every single pick contributes real production to the team. But the reality, looking back, is that a good draft yields 3-5 valuable players. Less than that is typically a failure, and more is typically a major success.

So if moving forward, we have a great starting running back, a good starting corner, a reliable 3rd down back and a rotational defensive linemen, that's fine. But of course, it remains to be seen if that's really what we have.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Again, as I've stated twice already, it's not how I would have handled things. However, to my point, does anyone here actually believe that he's going to be given an even, straight up chance to beat out Savage or Amos?

What's funny is that if King can stay healthy and is a good starting corner, it's not ultimately a terrible draft.

On the front end of each draft, we like to envision scenarios where every single pick contributes real production to the team. But the reality, looking back, is that a good draft yields 3-5 valuable players. Less than that is typically a failure, and more is typically a major success.

So if moving forward, we have a great starting running back, a good starting corner, a reliable 3rd down back and a rotational defensive linemen, that's fine. But of course, it remains to be seen if that's really what we have.

Also keep in mind that this was a draft that brought 10 players to the Packers, just 2 years ago and only 4 remain. Yes, it has only been 2 years and Jones has looked like he could be a decent back, other than that, I'm totally underwhelmed by King, Adams and Williams. Potential to change that feeling? Sure, but I'm not holding my breath.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Williams can run tough. If we open up some holes for him; he can be good as our 2nd back. I like what I've seen of him so far.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
When regimes change, it's only natural that the new FO will give more opportunity leeway to their own picks and less to the previous ones.

Jones had every opportunity to prove himself in the last 2 years (one under Gute and Pettine) and still would have had another 3 1/2 months to improve upon that. This isn't a matter of not getting opportunity, its the FO seeing a weakness and fixing it.

How do you think Kyler Fackrell and Reggie Gilbert are feeling about what Gute did? I would hope they recognize the need to improve the team and its their job to keep proving their own value.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rob Demovsky‏Verified account @RobDemovsky
Packers safety Josh Jones is skipping the voluntary OTAs and working out in Florida because he’s hoping to be traded, a source told ESPN. The source said the 2017 second-round pick believes it would be best for both parties if they parted ways. Story coming on ESPN shortly.

Good luck finding a trade partner for this guy. Who does he think he is Antonio Brown?

Packers would be lucky to get a 7th rounder for a guy who hasn't proven much.

Way to give up on a team, good riddance Mr. Jones!
He has no trade value. I like the idea of moving him to the box next to Martinez. Let’s face it, GB didn’t know what to do with him in the last two year. With the S group stronger, I suggest moving him to the box, give him a little time to learn the position. He’ll be more productive, should be happier, and maybe squelch a trade request.

But given his track record, they’d be lucky to get a 6th off 7th round pick. I’m not ready to give up on him. I am ready for him to have an established role in the D, maybe at ILB.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones had every opportunity to prove himself in the last 2 years (one under Gute and Pettine) and still would have had another 3 1/2 months to improve upon that. This isn't a matter of not getting opportunity, its the FO seeing a weakness and fixing it.

How do you think Kyler Fackrell and Reggie Gilbert are feeling about what Gute did? I would hope they recognize the need to improve the team and its their job to keep proving their own value.
Yeah seems like he has an inflated opinion of his worth. Give him a regular role close to the LOS and I think he’ll be fine.

But if he’s gonna be a cancer in the locker room, GB may well have to trade or release him. That would be unfortunate.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The guy goes public with this???? His trade value and salary security went from something, to the equivalency of a 3 day old ham sandwich just by running his pie hole in public. Brilliant move there by a guy with zero bargaining leverage. Any potentially interested teams just need to wait for his release and offer him league minimum. This strikes me as employment suicide.

Am I assessing this situation wrong?

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also keep in mind that this was a draft that brought 10 players to the Packers, just 2 years ago and only 4 remain. Yes, it has only been 2 years and Jones has looked like he could be a decent back, other than that, I'm totally underwhelmed by King, Adams and Williams. Potential to change that feeling? Sure, but I'm not holding my breath.

Ahem...

I'm going to take umbrage (great word) with calling Aaron Jones "decent".

Jones is a very good back. His only issue is health. He's averaged 5.5 YPC, both years. Do you realize how exceptional that is? His foot quickness, vision, and cutback ability are high tier.

If he can stay healthy, and get more carries, he'll be one of the top backs in the league. Decent. Pah.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another Teddy bust. The guy should've retired like 5 years ago. His drafts became worse and worse with time. His whole draft and develop failed to address positions of need. Gute inhereted all his stupid mess and the guy get inducted into the HOF.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Ugh. I tried to make it really clear that I don't have any respect for him sitting out and requesting a trade.

In my estimation, Jones was drafted to replace Burnett as a SS/Dime LB. He has played, but a portion of it has come out of position. After his rookie year, they drafted someone else to play that LB role (Burks) and after his second year, they signed someone else to play SS (Amos). So he pretty quickly got replaced by the new regime.

I don't actually have any confidence that Jones is any good. I think he's too stiff to make it in this pass heavy league. He's an explosive athlete, but only in a straight line. But it's an observable fact that teams give more leash to players who they drafted/signed than to players they inherited.

And I totally understand both sides. If I was a GM, I'm sure I would also favor my own evaluations. If I was an inherited player, I'm sure I would also be annoyed that I had less leeway than guys that the new regime acquired.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Ahem...

I'm going to take umbrage (great word) with calling Aaron Jones "decent".

Jones is a very good back. His only issue is health. He's averaged 5.5 YPC, both years. Do you realize how exceptional that is? His foot quickness, vision, and cutback ability are high tier.

If he can stay healthy, and get more carries, he'll be one of the top backs in the league. Decent. Pah.

Thus why I called him "decent". Being only available for 12 games and 133 carries (Elliott had 304), doesn't really allow him to be labeled much else at this point in his career IMO. Sure, he had the highest average yds/carry (5.5) in the NFL , but Ty Montgomery had an even higher average (5.9) in 2016 and I wouldn't have even called him "decent" back then.

Kevin King could also be a decent CB, but his health has prevented him from showing what he might be capable of.

If Jones can stay healthy, receives and can handle a bigger work load with the same results, then yeah, he could become one of the top backs in the NFL.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Like I said, it remains to be seen whether King can stay healthy and Jones can be consistent with the starting job. However, if those things end up happening, it's not a horrendous draft class. I realize that they had lots of picks, but the reality of this league is that if you come out of a draft in which your first selection was #33 and you have a good starting corner, a rotational defensive lineman, a good starting running back, and a reliable 3rd down back, you did OK. Not amazing, but OK.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The guy goes public with this???? His trade value and salary security went from something, to the equivalency of a 3 day old ham sandwich just by running his pie hole in public. Brilliant move there by a guy with zero bargaining leverage. Any potentially interested teams just need to wait for his release and offer him league minimum. This strikes me as employment suicide.

Am I assessing this situation wrong?

In my opinion, you are assessing it correctly. ;)

Reaction score
Fortunately the Pack don’t need to do anything. They can wait him out at 1M annual and receive a decent comp pick in 2022. It’d be more concerning if he was eating up 10M.

In the meantime he’s hurting himself more than anyone, because the longer he stays out of football the less appealing he becomes and he’s eventually deemed expendable.
His reality is he’s starting from borderline forgetful and moving towards a contemptible status with each passing week. If I’m his Agent, I’m doing everything in my power to get him back into OTAs. Teams will be forgiving for a minute or two. They might even recognize his frustration and try to work with him if he gets back soon, particularly if he verbally recommits himself and drops the prideful act. We all fall short from time to time but character is built in those times when your at your bottom. Do you quit or do you fight to overcome.
The kid is talented enough to re-commit himself 100% and he has still had starter potential if he does exactly that. It takes just one player injury to get him out there and prove himself worthy, but he needs to earn that by putting in the time and energy to better himself instead of taking this opportunity so lightly.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Fortunately the Pack don’t need to do anything. They can wait him out and receive a decent comp pick in 2022. In the meantime he’s hurting himself more than anyone, because the longer he stays out of football the less appealing he becomes. His reality is he’s starting from borderline forgetful and moving towards a contemptible status with each passing week. If I’m his Agent, I’m doing everything in my power to get him back into OTAs. Teams will be forgiving for a minute or two. They might even recognize his frustration and try to work with him if he gets back soon, but that’s going to fade with each passing week.

I agree that they can wait him out, but I highly doubt anyone will sign Josh Jones to a deal that nets a comp pick... especially not if the team wants to continue to be active in free agency.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Like I said, it remains to be seen whether King can stay healthy and Jones can be consistent with the starting job. However, if those things end up happening, it's not a horrendous draft class. I realize that they had lots of picks, but the reality of this league is that if you come out of a draft in which your first selection was #33 and you have a good starting corner, a rotational defensive lineman, a good starting running back, and a reliable 3rd down back, you did OK. Not amazing, but OK.

Yup....is it fair to say that ;)

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Fortunately the Pack don’t need to do anything. They can wait him out and receive a decent comp pick in 2022.

I doubt that happens. First, it would mean not cutting him and keeping him on some kind of "didn't report list" and even if that is possible, his contract is up at the end of 2020.

Second, he won't be offered much in the way of money, so his weight of factoring into the comp picks would be "Jeff Janis like".

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thus why I called him "decent". Being only available for 12 games and 133 carries (Elliott had 304), doesn't really allow him to be labeled much else at this point in his career IMO. Sure, he had the highest average yds/carry (5.5) in the NFL , but Ty Montgomery had an even higher average (5.9) in 2016 and I wouldn't have even called him "decent" back then.

Kevin King could also be a decent CB, but his health has prevented him from showing what he might be capable of.

If Jones can stay healthy, receives and can handle a bigger work load with the same results, then yeah, he could become one of the top backs in the NFL.

He was suspended for two games. Would probably be healthy for 14 games last year.

Reaction score
I doubt that happens. First, it would mean not cutting him and keeping him on some kind of "didn't report list" and even if that is possible, his contract is up at the end of 2020.

Second, he won't be offered much in the way of money, so his weight of factoring into the comp picks would be "Jeff Janis like".
It’s just posturing.
I’d assume he would show up later this season (2019). I highly doubt he risks being out for more than a few months. I would guess he’ll be cut if he doesn’t play this year and GB takes their minimal losses and move on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The more I have thought about the situation the more I would lean towards not giving into Josh Jones's demand to be traded. His trade value is pretty much non-existent. The Packers have invested a 2nd round pick, as well as $1,218,846 signing bonus and an average annual salary of $1,058,353 into the guy. What kind of message will you send to players by giving in to Jones? "Not happy in Green Bay? OK, this is no longer about what is good for the Packers, what can we do to make YOU feel better?"

Hold him to his contract, cut him only when it starts costing the Packers too much money to do so.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It’s just posturing.
I’d assume he would show up later this season (2019). I highly doubt he risks being out for more than a few months. He’ll be cut if he doesn’t play this year and GB will cut their minimal losses and move on.
He isn't Le'Veon Bell. If he misses workouts, camps and preseason, I highly doubt the Packers just allow him to "rejoin" the team at his leisure, they will have moved on.

I'm still thinking there is more (or less) to this story than we know, because the little that has been released about it, really doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Jones hasn't shown a ton of talent and thus has no real bargaining power on his side.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some if's and but's are different. King can play the position well and is a perfect compliment to Alexander. But he's injured. the end result has been the same, disappointing in that he can't stay on the field and give us what he has game in and game out. But it's not like he's a bad player or a bad pick.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He was suspended for two games. Would probably be healthy for 14 games last year.
Thanks for the reminder *insert image of guy smoking a joint* of his suspension and why I would continue to only call him a "decent" back, with potential. ;)

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Some if's and but's are different. King can play the position well and is a perfect compliment to Alexander. But he's injured. the end result has been the same, disappointing in that he can't stay on the field and give us what he has game in and game out. But it's not like he's a bad player or a bad pick.

I will debate the bad pick part with you if it turns out his shoulder is what derails his NFL career. This was somewhat of a known issue before the draft. Teddy was obviously banking on stealing a potential first rounder that some teams skipped due to possibly having a better read on his injury issues.

I will agree with you that King could end up being a solid CB, but even that hasn't been fully proven due to his health.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts