Josh Jones wants out of Green Bay.....

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Rob Demovsky‏Verified account @RobDemovsky
Packers safety Josh Jones is skipping the voluntary OTAs and working out in Florida because he’s hoping to be traded, a source told ESPN. The source said the 2017 second-round pick believes it would be best for both parties if they parted ways. Story coming on ESPN shortly.

Good luck finding a trade partner for this guy. Who does he think he is Antonio Brown?

Packers would be lucky to get a 7th rounder for a guy who hasn't proven much.

Way to give up on a team, good riddance Mr. Jones!

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Damn... I called it too! I had a feeling when I was doing my armchair 53 man roster.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What a mentally weak blowhard. "I'm not playing here so trade me." I guess he doesn't believe he has to earn playing time; that being a second round pick gives him entitlement. I know it would be best for the Packers for him to part ways, but he sucked here and he'll suck anywhere else he goes. Nothing will change from that aspect. It's kinda hard to get anything in a trade for someone who's worthless.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't be too ******* him about it. The team basically gave him a no confidence vote when they added Amos and Savage.
Get what you can and move on. I don't believe he'll ever pan out, because his main problem is the same as college; from the neck up. Slow to learn and read, no instincts. Great physical specimen, but not a football player.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was puzzled why TT drafted him in the first place with such a scouting report, especially given a then Capers overly sophisticated defense. Maybe he can retool himself in a press-man style defense elsewhere as a CB or big Nickel where all he has to do is cover one guy, if not he's yet another TT bust.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I bet people will be busting down the doors to give up nothing for a competitor that is afraid of competition on his own team. I don't care how good he could be, get him gone. He doesn't want to work to get better, and clearly he needs to, he thinks he's already good enough and should be given a position. It doesn't work that way.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully we can get a 6th Rounder for him, if we really want some competition for Crosby next year that could come in handy. I trust Gute will probably have him out of here in the next 2-4 days. If he's not going to compete we need somebody else back there.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is gonna leave and turn out to be good somewhere else... smh he will turn out to be the player against the bengals his rookie year every game... lmao just wait

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he could turn out to be good, but it's going to take work. He seems like maybe he doesn't have the mental make up to do that. Skipping work and asking for a trade instead is a telltale of sign of being mentally weak in the face of a small amount of adversity. He's the type of player that will play well when it suits him. at this point, he's good at the LOS and pretty bad everywhere else. Teams have 10,000 ways to exploit an incomplete player like that.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I wouldn't be too ******* him about it. The team basically gave him a no confidence vote when they added Amos and Savage.

Had Josh Jones been a better player, then the Packers wouldn't have had to do what they did to fill the spot that they drafted him in the second round to fill, so I don't really feel too sorry for the guy. He earned that no confidence vote all on his own and just put an exclamation mark after it with this move.

**** poor way of handling things on Josh's part IMO, but sadly, this seems to be becoming the way of the sport "I am unhappy here, so I'm not participating anymore and demand my release". If I am a GM, these are exactly the kinds of players I avoid, "quitters", for lack of a better term.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I tell my 10 yr old all the time that physical attributes are great, but there are hundreds of guys who had all the physical traits who are now selling used cars or life insurance. If you’re not a student of the game and lack football awareness then it’s going to be hard to be an impact player...yet alone stay on an NFL roster. Jones may be in his way to becoming that guy.

Now maybe it’s the scheme? But you don’t bring in two completely new guys if you felt you had a guy already on the roster. Jones seemed to always be out of position and had the same type of like of awareness as Brice.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Get what you can and move on. I don't believe he'll ever pan out, because his main problem is the same as college; from the neck up. Slow to learn and read, no instincts. Great physical specimen, but not a football player.
I'm going to be though, it should be a wake up call to work harder. Clearly this has been an issue and instead of responding, he seems to sulk and it leads to reduced playing time. Get in the book, get sound in what they're teaching you, get on the field more. Learn your craft, get better, don't sulk. Work hard, they'll find some way to use you. As much as it gave players opportunities, I think it because a weakness of the MM era, playing guys that worked hard too much over guys that were better players. They tried too hard almost to create opportunities for guys that were putting in the work sometimes rather than going with what worked on the field.

anyway, Jones seemed to only get his opportunities after injury after a while. That was fairly telling to me. and now this. When you don't get handed your position you quit. Nice. In this league the 1st and 2nd guy off the bench in the Defensive backfield will play a lot. Put in the work and get better. Or quit. He chose quit.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not saying I'd handle things the same way Jones is, but again, when a team all but phases you out in the off season, working harder and having a great attitude isn't going to make any difference. Asking for a trade is the best thing for both parties.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not saying I'd handle things the same way Jones is, but again, when a team all but phases you out in the off season, working harder and having a great attitude isn't going to make any difference. Asking for a trade is the best thing for both parties.
why wouldn't it? Jones doesn't offer what Savage does and was nowhere near the player Amos is, but he could have worked into a solid and dependable role for this team. He's choosing not to. It's a lesson I learned in my first year of football in 7th grade a long time ago. I wasn't happy I was put at fullback instead of the featured running back. So my coach made me and another WR play guard instead. We were 2 of the top 3 athletes pretty much all the way thru middle and high school in our little section of WI. My dad told me I wouldn't be there forever and to just shut up and work. I did. We both ended up being starting guards for our 8th grade team as 7th graders and were the only 2 in our class to play varsity as freshman. The coach from back then told us a long time later after high school he just wanted to see how we'd respond. Neither of us played offensive line past 7th grade and were moved back to our skill positions.

Of course nobody ever saw me play on tv, mostly because I didn't because I wasn't good enough, but the lesson is the same. When it's time to work, do it. You might not always win, but you'll be better for it. Or quit and think about what might have been. I'm glad I learned that in middle school. Better to be a marginal person with supreme work ethic than be a supreme brain or athlete and only do what comes easy.

Josh may not have been a starter, but with the amount of nickel and dime we play, he could easily have played himself on to the field for a good amount of snaps and made himself better for his next contract, team, opportunity. He's choosing to quit instead. Good luck staying in the league with that mentality.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's still a spot for him on this team. We're thin at ILB, and he had the best game of his career (Bengals game) playing the ILB hybrid position.

Hard work and a good attitude won't make a difference? Yeah okay. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

I still disagree with what it appears that he is doing, refusing to report and demanding a trade/release. He basically has given up on a team that used a 2nd round pick on him and in the process, admitting he isn't that good. Savage hasn't seen one professional snap and Jones throws in the towel?

Come to camp, work hard, put it all out there and try to win a starting spot. If you don't, be happy you make a 53 man roster as a backup or special teams guy.

"Me Me Me and entitlement" seems to be what I hear from his actions.

Obviously, there could be more to this. Maybe the Packers told Jones his time in Green Bay is up, but if that were the case, I think they would have released him already.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
another tt/ball pick not working out? maybe given some time and a convo with pettine he'll change his mind...maybe he won't. disappointing. he's got all the tools. was he mismanaged? maybe he's right. hopefully we can get at least a 4th for him. maybe a 3rd if someone really loves him.

edit: yeah i know it's optimistic. probably a 5-6. ya know...if they can't do better than just play hardball with him and keep him. other players are going to see what happens here.

Last edited:

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I'd pick this to pieces, but I see others are handling it nicely.

To summarize though, it's weak.

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
I can understand wanting to be traded, but when you didn't do well, letting the public know is a crappy move.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's 'weak' about it? You have a problem, you deal with it.
Do you think he beats out Savage or Amos, especially with the capital they spent on them? Do you think 'work harder and keep a stiff upper lip' will change any thing? Best to talk to the high mucky mucks and see where you stand.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's still a spot for him on this team. We're thin at ILB, and he had the best game of his career (Bengals game) playing the ILB hybrid position.

Hard work and a good attitude won't make a difference? Yeah okay. :rolleyes:

If your employers have spent buku draft and money capital on not one but two other guys at your position, then hard work and a great attitude won't erase the writing on the wall.
Again, not how I'd handle it personally, but we don't know the whole story as to how this came about.

Members online

Latest posts